PDA

View Full Version : Stephon Marbury emotionaly broken down because of Katrina

alamo50
09-07-2005, 08:45 AM
Damn...........
I just watched the press conference the NBA player's union held to announce operation "Rebound" to assist the work in progress in the New Orleans area.
Marbury was there to speak and he did his best, but was just totaly broken down.....

Kip Fanatic
09-07-2005, 09:02 AM
I saw that. Its good that we get to see the other side of the players. Its even better that the NBA is putting something like this together.

Jimcs50
09-07-2005, 09:09 AM
The poor guy could not even finish his speech. Good to see Stephan step up and donate betw 500K and 1 million dollars. That is a huge donation for someone in his income bracket. He does not make near what Shaq and Lance make, but he has come through like a champ. :tu

Dex
09-07-2005, 09:16 AM
Wow. Stephon's NOT a little bitch. That's good to know.

Very nice move, man. I'll have to bury the Starbury hate....for a little while. :lol

BigVee
09-07-2005, 09:17 AM
It is not insignificant. He is due $15mil this year, so $750K is 5% of that. Same as someone making $100K donating $5000. That's a large amount for one particluar cause.

50 cent
09-07-2005, 09:26 AM
That is a very nice gesture by Stephon. :tu

nkdlunch
09-07-2005, 09:31 AM
maybe he should get into movies? :smokin

spurs_fan_in_exile
09-07-2005, 09:32 AM
Well, I have one less reason to hate him. But I'm sure I'll find ten more once the season actually starts.

Boo
09-07-2005, 09:38 AM
It is not insignificant. He is due $15mil this year, so $750K is 5% of that. Same as someone making $100K donating $5000. That's a large amount for one particluar cause.

Boo
09-07-2005, 09:40 AM
Oh TNT is hosting a charity basketball game with NBA stars Kevin Garnett, Tracy McGrady, Koby Bryant, and LeBron James.

The game is supposed to raise up to 2.5 million dollars.

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-07-2005, 09:56 AM
I'm watching the press conference on NBA.com...man, major props to the NBA.

FromWayDowntown
09-07-2005, 10:31 AM
I rarely agree with Stephen A. Smith, but I heard him call out the NFL last night and prop the NBA for their comparative reactions to the Katrina situation. As a league, the NFL can do much, much more. I do think, though, that the Saints players have been absolutely amazing with their concern and generosity here in San Antonio and in Houston. Peyton and Eli Manning also did wonderful work. I suspect there are a lot more of those kinds of stories from the NFL players; maybe the NFL is too, and I'm just not hearing it.

In any event, we should all be proud of the NBA players. As much crap as they take for their lavish lifestyles and gaudy contracts, they've routinely stepped up when times of crisis have arisen.

Money316
09-07-2005, 11:01 AM
Wow. Stephon's NOT a little bitch. That's good to know.

Very nice move, man. I'll have to bury the Starbury hate....for a little while. :lol

Fuck that human being. Them are alligator tears coming out that MoFo face.
:fro :fro :fro

Go ahad bitch repect that self centered gator.

King
09-07-2005, 11:43 AM
Fuck that human being. Them are alligator tears coming out that MoFo face.

Go ahad bitch repect that self centered gator.

I'm sure you head up a lot of charities, and are world-renowned for your selflessness.

Go ahead, tell us all the good things you do.

ShoogarBear
09-07-2005, 11:54 AM
I rarely agree with Stephen A. Smith, but I heard him call out the NFL last night and prop the NBA for their comparative reactions to the Katrina situation. As a league, the NFL can do much, much more.
The NFL as a league can do much more, but I think the average player salary in the NFL is significantly lower than the NBA, so I wouldn't bash them just on the basis of # of players making big donations.

You would still hope that the total amount from the NFL players is more than from NBA players, just because there are so many more.

Summers
09-07-2005, 01:12 PM
maybe he should get into movies? :smokin

(Can't really tell if you're joking or not). He seemed very genuine, or at least to me, because of the way he said seeing the kids on TV made him want to hug his own kids. I feel the same way. When I saw the story about the maternity ward where they moved the moms and preemies separately (WTF were they thinking??) or stories about people losing their children in the flood or in the crowd, I get really choked up, because it would kill me to not know where my son is, or what's happening to him, or who's caring (or not) for him...

Money316
09-07-2005, 01:33 PM
I'm sure you head up a lot of charities, and are world-renowned for your selflessness.

Go ahead, tell us all the good things you do.

What good would it do? However, do you really think a leopard is capable of changing his spots overnight? I chose not to believe. Obviously you do. Has nothing to do with charity. Only what one has consistently done. My conscience is clear. Nuf said.

Dex
09-07-2005, 03:21 PM
What good would it do? However, do you really think a leopard is capable of changing his spots overnight? I chose not to believe. Obviously you do. Has nothing to do with charity. Only what one has consistently done. My conscience is clear. Nuf said.

I could care less if the guy's a ballhog as long as it's for a different team. Hell, let him make things easier for us if he wants to.

Yeah, it sucked that he didn't show up in Athens, but he wasn't the only reason the US ended up with a bronze, so BFD. Argentina got what they deserved.

He can act as snooty as he wants on the court. If he's still nice enough to donate over half a million dollars, more than 5% of his yearly income, to a cause such as this, then yes, that makes him a damn decent person in my book. That's the largest donation made by a single player in the League so far.

And if you put basketball personality above humanity, then you seriously need to step off and check your moral value system.

Horry For 3!
09-07-2005, 03:46 PM
They showed that a couple of times on ESPN, he really broke down hard.

Money316
09-07-2005, 04:33 PM
I could care less if the guy's a ballhog as long as it's for a different team. Hell, let him make things easier for us if he wants to.

Yeah, it sucked that he didn't show up in Athens, but he wasn't the only reason the US ended up with a bronze, so BFD. Argentina got what they deserved.

He can act as snooty as he wants on the court. If he's still nice enough to donate over half a million dollars, more than 5% of his yearly income, to a cause such as this, then yes, that makes him a damn decent person in my book. That's the largest donation made by a single player in the League so far.

And if you put basketball personality above humanity, then you seriously need to step off and check your moral value system.

Well fuck me to tears, my tithe still got that heathen beat..morally speaking of course.

Boo
09-07-2005, 05:37 PM
Money your a jackass...

angel_luv
09-07-2005, 05:38 PM
I think Stephon showed a lot of heart. I am very proud of him and hope others soon step up to follow his generous example.

milkyway21
09-07-2005, 09:07 PM
Well, I have one less reason to hate him. But I'm sure I'll find ten more once the season actually starts.:rolleyes

& why hate Marbury?

hope that doesn't include that crucial basket game 1 in the 2003 playoffs, huh? :D

whottt
09-07-2005, 09:19 PM
I've always thought Marbury was misunderstood...

After the Olympics when America deserted team USA and they asked Marbury if he'd be willing to do it again, he said yes without even thinking about it...he'll do it again if they ask. Marbury is a lot like AI...a lot of people think they are selfish players...I think they both sincerely want to win with all their heart...their game just comes off as selfish because don't know any other way to play...they just aren't as good without dominating the ball. But I've never seen anything but competitiveness to win from either of them...And Marbury does practice.

In the Olympics we saw Brown try to turn them into spot up shooter types that played off of Tim Duncan and it was a disaster...I was wishing they'd go back to playing their style of game. And Marbury did in one game...set the Team USA record for scoring and probably saved us from going home medaless.

But anyway...this doesn't surprise me about Marbury...he may not have a lot of media polish but I've never seen anything really negative about his character...he just hates losing...I mean yeah he hated Garnett...who doesn't though?

MI21
09-08-2005, 04:43 AM
I've always thought Marbury was misunderstood...

After the Olympics when America deserted team USA and they asked Marbury if he'd be willing to do it again, he said yes without even thinking about it...he'll do it again if they ask. Marbury is a lot like AI...a lot of people think they are selfish players...I think they both sincerely want to win with all their heart...their game just comes off as selfish because don't know any other way to play...they just aren't as good without dominating the ball. But I've never seen anything but competitiveness to win from either of them...And Marbury does practice.

In the Olympics we saw Brown try to turn them into spot up shooter types that played off of Tim Duncan and it was a disaster...I was wishing they'd go back to playing their style of game. And Marbury did in one game...set the Team USA record for scoring and probably saved us from going home medaless.

But anyway...this doesn't surprise me about Marbury...he may not have a lot of media polish but I've never seen anything really negative about his character...he just hates losing...I mean yeah he hated Garnett...who doesn't though?

100% agreed and very well said.

You can see he loves the game by the way he celebrated his wins against the Spurs in 2002-2003 Playoffs, and the way he reacted when he got to play in the 2001 NBA All-Star game.

For him to donate money like that is fantastic, well done.

JMarkJohns
09-08-2005, 11:27 AM
However, do you really think a leopard is capable of changing his spots overnight? I chose not to believe.... Has nothing to do with charity. :fro :fro :fro

You obviously do not follow the NBA off the court programs, because Marbury has always been a big contributer to them. When He was with Phoenix he had several charities that he routinely did work for, giving money and helping with fundraisers.

Steph is a stand-up guy.

He's only been in trouble off the court one time, a 2002 arrest for driving under the influence. Instead of trying to get off on his celebrity or claiming injustice, he plead guilty and served the same sentence that any person would have.

When the Suns traded for Barbosa, Steph went out with him, since Barbosa couldn't speak English and acted as a mediary for him. Steph also purchased a n Escalade for the new guard and just took him under his wing on the court. He was such a close friend that when Steph was trade mid-way through Barbosa's rookie year, the rook cried and dedicated his next game to Marbury, then promtly went out and posted career highs.

Just this past year when Jerry Colangelo went under the knife for prostate cancer, Steph called to give his best to JC. Despite JC being the one who traded him just 7 months prior.

He's always had a heart and has used it well. Maybe you should open yours. At the very least, open your eyes so you can make informed remarks...