PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Free Agent: LaMarcus Aldridge

Dingle Barry
04-29-2015, 10:09 AM
http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/headshots/nba/players/full/2983.png&w=350&h=254

Born: July 19, 1985
Home town: Seagoville, Dallas County, TX
Height: 6-11
Weight: 240 lbs.
College: Texas
Years Pro: 9

Info (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/a/aldrila01.html)
UFA

Chinook
04-29-2015, 07:50 PM
Awesome Dingle Barry ! Keep 'em coming people.

AFBlue
04-29-2015, 08:35 PM
Want.

lmbebo
04-29-2015, 09:45 PM
Yes

kobyz
05-03-2015, 06:05 AM
How much we could offer him without losing Green?

eDizzle20
05-03-2015, 01:47 PM
Definitely should go after. The closest thing to a superstar that may actually want to come to San Antonio.

TXstbobcat
05-03-2015, 02:17 PM
Well he does have a kid here so maybe we have a chance at him.

lmbebo
05-03-2015, 02:58 PM
I don't think its about how much, I think sometimes its more about timing and getting everyone in line at the right time.

Cklbmk
05-05-2015, 04:56 AM
How much we could offer him without losing Green?

IIRC like 17mil before we gotta dump salary

Chinook
05-05-2015, 07:52 AM
IIRC like 17mil before we gotta dump salary

They're pretty much exactly at $15 Million.

CGD
05-05-2015, 10:45 AM
If the Spurs decide they have to move Tiago, what would a sign and trade with Portland look like built around LMA and Tiago?

Those are disparate salaries so who would have to be included, or could the trade be uneven if the Spurs have the cap-space? Is a trade exception generated?

Jdspur20
05-05-2015, 10:54 AM
So how much would the Spurs have after signing KL, green and Beli?

Mr Bones
05-05-2015, 11:16 AM
I'm conflicted on LMA... He's the best FA available that I think the Spurs have an actual shot at landing, but in a perfect world he's not the big I'd build around. Here's the thing though: if the Spurs can get him for 15 mil/year that will look like an incredible bargain in 2017-18 when the salary cap is expected to rise to 100 mil. At that point, he'd be easy to trade if the situation wasn't working out... in fact, he'd be a good trading chip either way. I worry about the Spurs gutting their depth in order to make room for him though.

buttsR4rebounding
05-05-2015, 01:03 PM
If the Spurs decide they have to move Tiago, what would a sign and trade with Portland look like built around LMA and Tiago?

Those are disparate salaries so who would have to be included, or could the trade be uneven if the Spurs have the cap-space? Is a trade exception generated?

The Spurs would not have to match the salary in a sign and trade. They could use their available cap space and it would generate a trade exception to Portland.

Cklbmk
05-05-2015, 07:50 PM
They're pretty much exactly at $15 Million.

The 17 must have been with Mills getting dumped. I played around with that idea for a while. I don't think its an option after seeing Tony in the playoffs though

Cklbmk
05-05-2015, 07:51 PM
So how much would the Spurs have after signing KL, green and Beli?

Sadly Beli isn't getting resigned

Cklbmk
05-05-2015, 07:53 PM

It's fine due to cap space. Problem is I think Tiago would be traded to someone for value. Ie lakers or Celtics. I could see them giving a late 1st or early 2nd for him. So imo if Portland wants him they'd likely have to add value to Aldridge. Otherwise we just cut them out

Chinook
05-05-2015, 08:03 PM
It's fine due to cap space. Problem is I think Tiago would be traded to someone for value. Ie lakers or Celtics. I could see them giving a late 1st or early 2nd for him. So imo if Portland wants him they'd likely have to add value to Aldridge. Otherwise we just cut them out

Or the Spurs could add about $5 Million to Splitter's salary and take back Aldridge while staying over the cap. Mills/Anderson or Joseph on an MLE S&T would do.

Cklbmk
05-05-2015, 08:31 PM
Or the Spurs could add about $5 Million to Splitter's salary and take back Aldridge while staying over the cap. Mills/Anderson or Joseph on an MLE S&T would do.

I dont think we can trade Patty and Kyle Anderson at this point. Kyle is our only prospect as a playmaking wing right now. And Patty needs to cover for Parker.

I'd S&T Joseph in a heartbeat though. Or Belinelli if we can.

Or better yet. Offer Parker and Diaw package and just resign everyone else

Chinook
05-06-2015, 06:04 AM
Or better yet. Offer Parker and Diaw package and just resign everyone else

I don't know how you can understand why that would be appealing but no understand why the Spurs would want to do whatever it takes to get Portland to agree to a S&T. Ideally, the Spurs would just send out Parker and picks. If that's an option on the table, the Spurs would be fools not to take it. (Though I would try to trade Baynes for something or include him in the S&T to Portland in that case). But the team just can't afford an off-year if next season is Tim's last.

Cklbmk
05-06-2015, 07:50 AM
I don't know how you can understand why that would be appealing but no understand why the Spurs would want to do whatever it takes to get Portland to agree to a S&T. Ideally, the Spurs would just send out Parker and picks. If that's an option on the table, the Spurs would be fools not to take it. (Though I would try to trade Baynes for something or include him in the S&T to Portland in that case). But the team just can't afford an off-year if next season is Tim's last.
I'd give a pick or 2 to dump Parker tbh

CGD
05-06-2015, 07:54 AM

In this scenario, the Spurs would then be in the MLE game right (not cap space)? As well as being able to sign FAs with bird rights?

Chinook
05-06-2015, 08:03 AM
In this scenario, the Spurs would then be in the MLE game right (not cap space)? As well as being able to sign FAs with bird rights?

Yes. They'd also be able to keep Joseph and Baynes as RFAs and trade them for assets if that's that they want to do.

CGD
05-06-2015, 11:42 AM
Yes. They'd also be able to keep Joseph and Baynes as RFAs and trade them for assets if that's that they want to do.

Thanks. Seems to me then that the next call after a LMA for Splitter & parts framework is in place, is to Asik or Chandler to offer the full MLE. Would provide the defensive big replacement, just not sure if the MLE will be enough. Last piece is to sign the rest of the guys with Bird rights or via QO. Not sure what, if any, money would be left for some of the foreign stash.

TP
Green
KL
LMA
Asik

Chinook
05-06-2015, 11:53 AM
Thanks. Seems to me then that the next call after a LMA for Splitter & parts framework is in place, is to Asik or Chandler to offer the full MLE. Would provide the defensive big replacement, just not sure if the MLE will be enough. Last piece is to sign the rest of the guys with Bird rights or via QO. Not sure what, if any, money would be left for some of the foreign stash.

TP
Green
KL
LMA
Asik

Trading Splitter while Duncan leaves is pretty much a nonstarter. No way the Spurs role with only the MLE/Baynes at the five.

CGD
05-06-2015, 12:19 PM
Trading Splitter while Duncan leaves is pretty much a nonstarter. No way the Spurs role with only the MLE/Baynes at the five.

I guess it will just depends on how much the Spurs want LMA. Obviously something has to give, and, as you've outlined elsewhere, the Spurs are well below max cap space just to outright sign LMA. The other option is a Diaw centric trade, but not sure what Portland would have to say there.

If Duncan does want to come back, wouldn't he be signed via Bird rights if a LMA-Splitter trade went down?

Chinook
05-06-2015, 12:36 PM
I guess it will just depends on how much the Spurs want LMA. Obviously something has to give, and, as you've outlined elsewhere, the Spurs are well below max cap space just to outright sign LMA. The other option is a Diaw centric trade, but not sure what Portland would have to say there.

No one has to care what Portland thinks if the Spurs are just moving Diaw/Splitter to open up cap room. If they are executing a S&T, Portland may care, but only if the Spurs are trying to move that player to the Blazers. Plenty of third teams would take either without sending back salary.

If Duncan does want to come back, wouldn't he be signed via Bird rights if a LMA-Splitter trade went down?

No. Duncan has to be addressed first, since his cap hold is so large. If it's a S&T, then you're correct that the Spurs wouldn't need a decision from his financially. But I don't think they move Tiago unless Tim commits to coming back first.

CGD
05-06-2015, 06:18 PM
No one has to care what Portland thinks if the Spurs are just moving Diaw/Splitter to open up cap room. If they are executing a S&T, Portland may care, but only if the Spurs are trying to move that player to the Blazers. Plenty of third teams would take either without sending back salary.

No. Duncan has to be addressed first, since his cap hold is so large. If it's a S&T, then you're correct that the Spurs wouldn't need a decision from his financially. But I don't think they move Tiago unless Tim commits to coming back first.

Got it. I just wonder what teams have the capspace to absorb Tiago (or Boris) and his remaining years, and how much that's going to cost the Spurs (picks, etc.). Could be a many. Neither Boris or Tiago have bad contracts (on the contrary), but I'd think just dealing with Portland directly might be less costly since they're at risk of losing an asset for nothing. But your right that Portland doesn't really matter in the end.

With respect to Duncan, I was referring to a scenario where there was a trade and the Spurs are MLE players not capspace players.

rjv
05-06-2015, 07:03 PM

and i am pretty sure duncan is predicating some of his decision on how realistic a shot at a title would be next season.

buttsR4rebounding
05-07-2015, 09:11 AM
Got it. I just wonder what teams have the capspace to absorb Tiago (or Boris) and his remaining years, and how much that's going to cost the Spurs (picks, etc.). Could be a many. Neither Boris or Tiago have bad contracts (on the contrary), but I'd think just dealing with Portland directly might be less costly since they're at risk of losing an asset for nothing. But your right that Portland doesn't really matter in the end.

With respect to Duncan, I was referring to a scenario where there was a trade and the Spurs are MLE players not capspace players.
If the Spurs put Tiago on the block there would be real demand for him. His contract is very favorable for a big. The Spurs would likely get back at least 1 first rounder for Tiago.

DrunkTXLabrat
05-11-2015, 02:11 AM
i don't want Aldridge, i'd rather bargain shop a restricted like Draymond Green or Tristan Thompson. I want to hate on Aldridge and the best i could come up with is this. forget Blake Griffin, what are the Spurs going to do when Timmy goes Parker and Manu? While Anthony Davis takes his 1st round bounce about as happily as Bruce Banner. And the bench probably still has Bonner and whatever new version of Jeff Ayers is around, playing because Baynes is fouled out and Splitter is hurt. I've got no hate for Diaw, he's the prime non-Duncan option... against not Blake, but priming up Anthony Davis!

I can't say i've seen or heard of any Aldridge/Davis showdowns. Pelicans and Blazers are out, always are. That's been even more true for Aldridge than Davis, i don't see that changing for Aldridge. But i don't think that shit's gonna fly much longer, for Davis. went to youtube, typed up Aldridge vs Davis... vote restricted free agency in summer 15'

https://youtu.be/r-7PLUAJPSA

Chinook
05-11-2015, 07:16 AM
^Ugh.

AFBlue
05-11-2015, 07:29 PM
^Ugh.

:lol

Mr Bones
05-12-2015, 11:07 AM
I'll root for Aldridge if the Spurs manage to get him, but I'm still not totally convinced that spending 12-14 mil or so on a combo of Brandan Wright & Jonas Jerebko wouldn't be a similar or better option.... it would be cheaper, and would leave the Spurs with a few million left over.

Here are the stats from last year for the three players: http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&y1=2015&p1=aldrila01&y2=2015&p2=wrighbr03&y3=2015&p3=jerebjo01&p4=&p5=&p6=

Dingle Barry
05-12-2015, 12:05 PM
i don't want Aldridge, i'd rather bargain shop a restricted like Draymond Green or Tristan Thompson. I want to hate on Aldridge and the best i could come up with is this. forget Blake Griffin, what are the Spurs going to do when Timmy goes Parker and Manu? While Anthony Davis takes his 1st round bounce about as happily as Bruce Banner. And the bench probably still has Bonner and whatever new version of Jeff Ayers is around, playing because Baynes is fouled out and Splitter is hurt. I've got no hate for Diaw, he's the prime non-Duncan option... against not Blake, but priming up Anthony Davis!

I can't say i've seen or heard of any Aldridge/Davis showdowns. Pelicans and Blazers are out, always are. That's been even more true for Aldridge than Davis, i don't see that changing for Aldridge. But i don't think that shit's gonna fly much longer, for Davis. went to youtube, typed up Aldridge vs Davis... vote restricted free agency in summer 15'

What the fuck is wrong with your brain?

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-12-2015, 12:33 PM

I'll root for Aldridge if the Spurs manage to get him, but I'm still not totally convinced that spending 12-14 mil or so on a combo of Brandan Wright & Jonas Jerebko wouldn't be a similar or better option.... it would be cheaper, and would leave the Spurs with a few million left over.

Here are the stats from last year for the three players: http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&y1=2015&p1=aldrila01&y2=2015&p2=wrighbr03&y3=2015&p3=jerebjo01&p4=&p5=&p6=

monkeypunk
05-12-2015, 12:43 PM
Don't know why you guys are surprised about this guys post. He's got Drunk in his fucking username.....

Mr Bones
05-12-2015, 12:52 PM
It's a complex situation... it's not a matter of simply signing LMA. There might be a sign & trade involved, and there are many other factors, like whether or not Manu and Cojo return. If the Spurs gain LMA but lose Splitter, Manu, and Cojo I'd say that's a step backward. If the Spurs gain LMA, lose Splitter, keep Manu & Cojo, and sign a FA like Brandan Wright, then I'd say it's step forward. The details matter. If Cojo and Manu leave, the Spurs will have a serious problem at the PG position, with an aging Parker in decline and Mills being more of a SG in a PGs body. Danny Green has his strengths, but ball handling is not one of them.

monkeypunk
05-12-2015, 01:46 PM
It's a complex situation... it's not a matter of simply signing LMA. There might be a sign & trade involved, and there are many other factors, like whether or not Manu and Cojo return. If the Spurs gain LMA but lose Splitter, Manu, and Cojo I'd say that's a step backward. If the Spurs gain LMA, lose Splitter, keep Manu & Cojo, and sign a FA like Brandan Wright, then I'd say it's step forward. The details matter. If Cojo and Manu leave, the Spurs will have a serious problem at the PG position, with an aging Parker in decline and Mills being more of a SG in a PGs body. Danny Green has his strengths, but ball handling is not one of them.

I agree on needing ball handlers for the second unit with Beli, Manu, Diaw, Cojo, etc. all set to move on. I honestly think that KA can fill that role, given the opportunity. If he can, that fills that need without bringing anyone else onto the payroll, since he's already there.

DrunkTXLabrat
05-12-2015, 07:34 PM

Aldridge is this years Bosh. He's marquee and expensive and doesn't even get as far into the playoffs as younger more available Harden-like alternatives.

DrunkTXLabrat
05-12-2015, 07:35 PM
There is something wrong with my brain, I don't gobble up Aldridge sucking smoke blowing like you. Get in line with the Reggie Williams supporters, fool.

Big P
05-13-2015, 09:14 PM
Wright is a scrub and a hack, I'll never forget that Spurs/Mavs series, so many cheap shots and talked so much shit to TD, definitely not Spur material.

pad300
05-13-2015, 10:21 PM
DrunkTXLabrat may have a point. I'm not sure that Aldridge is all that either. For example, compare the shot charts from :

http://www.austinclemens.com/shotcharts/

for Amir Johnson and LaMarcus Aldridge.

Johnson shoots a better percentage from close (61 vs 60 %), 2 pt jumpers (45 vs 41%) and 3pt jumpers (41 vs 35 %). Overall Amir Johnson has a 60.3 TS% vs Aldridge's 52.8%. They both draw 0.26 FTA/FGA. Johnson is more willing to pass 0.22 Ast/FGA vs 0.09 for Aldridge...

Is Aldridge worth twice what Johnson would cost? I'm not convinced. Aldridge does have better rebounding numbers, but that primarily due to D-boards. Aldridge plays beside Robin Lopez, who tends to focus on blocking out - which inflates Aldridges DRB% (22.9% for Aldridge, 13.1% for Lopez), vs Johnson playing beside Valancunias (DRB% 17.3 for Johnson, 26.3 for Valancunias).