PDA

View Full Version : The double screens for Paul..

Malik Hairston
05-01-2015, 02:10 AM
Is there anything Pop can do to adjust?

Simmons and Lowe were discussing it on their podcast, and Coach Nick has discussed it in all his post- game breakdowns, they have all been surprised that Pop hasn't made an adjustment..

dabom
05-01-2015, 02:11 AM
pop is the slowest fucking coach of all time tbh.

dabom
05-01-2015, 02:12 AM
He is leaving his best player out to dry.

therealtruth
05-01-2015, 02:17 AM
Getting outcoached by Doc. It would be nice for him to force Doc to figure some things out.

ElNono
05-01-2015, 02:18 AM
Pop will think about it over the summer with a nice glass of wine, tbh

admiralsnackbar
05-01-2015, 02:19 AM
He is leaving his best player out to dry. His best player hung himself out to dry. As for addressing the double screen... isn't it statistically wiser to man-to-man Paul than double-team him and give Griffin a a high-percentage post play or Reddick an open look? Pick your poison.

admiralsnackbar
05-01-2015, 02:20 AM
The moving screens, on the other hand? Those piss me off.

siraulo23
You cant go under, paul's defender get sandwiched

If you go over, the defender still get picked and is out of position...

dabom

This is the most realistic thing tbh. :lmao

siraulo23
05-01-2015, 02:21 AM
Also the switches, when bigs defend paul it's deadly because cp3 is hitting that mid range at an 80% clip it seems like

spurraider21
05-01-2015, 02:24 AM
the clippers have been an elite offensive team all year... we need to limit the easy runouts though. they're getting several per quarter and that is correctable

RD2191
05-01-2015, 02:30 AM
We need someone to Steve Nash CP3, tbh. Your time to shine Ayres.

koriwhat
It's easy to generate offense when the refs swallow their whistles on all the bs the clips pull, ie; moving screens, pushing, pulling, holding, etc.

Johnny RIngo
Also the switches, when bigs defend paul it's deadly because cp3 is hitting that mid range at an 80% clip it seems like

Yup, he's been hitting everything. Dude is amazing - truly one of the best PGs in NBA history. Elite shooter, passer, defender, etc. Unlike Parker, he actually has talent and skill. Poor Tony is just a system player who relied on Duncan and Ginobili to bail him out throughout his career.

dabom
We need someone to Steve Nash CP3, tbh. Your time to shine Ayres.

Diaw?

RD2191
05-01-2015, 02:32 AM
Diaw?
Can't afford to lose diaw. Tbh.

r0drig0lac
05-01-2015, 07:47 AM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/bobo.gif

crc21209
05-01-2015, 10:56 AM
Use Green on Paul and Kawhi as a roam/help defender.

ElNono
05-01-2015, 10:45 PM
I thought about this today a bit, and I think there's a way to make it useless. Just have the Paul defender shade him closing out one side of the court. You know, like when our defenders on the wing close the middle and opens the lane towards the sideline. At that point the double-screen doesn't matter, because while the defender will likely get screened, Paul can only really come off on one side. The whole point of the double-screen is to make it hard to know which side he'll come out from (or more correctly, let him pick). If you take that choice away, then it's just a regular pick & roll.

Just a thought.

ElNono
05-01-2015, 10:54 PM
tbh, the biggest hurdle is that our bigs except the hurt Tiago can't defend P&R for shit...

Malik Hairston
05-01-2015, 10:56 PM
Z2rCPdfZWcY

Sean Cagney
05-01-2015, 10:57 PM
Can't afford to lose diaw. Tbh.

Bonner?

ElNono
05-01-2015, 10:59 PM
yeah, the switching isn't working. But you gotta try something else. Maybe trap Paul once he's out of the screen?

Tiago actually did good covering the penetration, but then they iso and he gets burned with the jumper. Maybe double in those cases? I don't really care if it's Matt Barnes left open.

sananspursfan21
05-01-2015, 11:12 PM
Bonner?

Too nice a guy. He'll offer a sandwich to him before ever knocking him out

DMC
05-01-2015, 11:18 PM
Foul Jordan more. Put in Jeff Errors to do nothing but foul Jordan, over and over ad nauseum. When he fouls out, put in Reggie.

Prose
05-01-2015, 11:23 PM
Go under the screens. They are being set at 30 feet from the basket. Of Paul makes 30 feet jumpers it's better than him one on one with duncan or an injuried splitter in the midrange area which is amazing at

Cloud786
05-01-2015, 11:27 PM
Go under the screens. They are being set at 30 feet from the basket. Of Paul makes 30 feet jumpers it's better than him one on one with duncan or an injuried splitter in the midrange area which is amazing at

The thing is you can't go under as it's basically a reverse elevator play. If you try going under, Jordan and Griffin close off the gap and the defender is essentially forced to go over, leaving cp3 one-on-one with the big.

TheGoldStandard
05-01-2015, 11:30 PM
Switching isn't helping, it creates more problems then it does solutions and gambles that they will settle for jump shots and miss even though we do not close out on the shooter. I've seen Boris and Tiago both follow the wrong man on the switch which leaves someone wide open or they simply sag off way too much on the switch and someone drills a jumper or they get forced out too far and get beat off dribble. Nono's idea of actually trailing the ball handler and sealing that side of the court could help at least force Paul to make one decision which in theory if you rotate fast enough would slow down the PnR.

ElNono
05-01-2015, 11:34 PM
Another strategy is to have the bigs hedge hard and keep Paul on the perimeter... obviously, the problem here is that if Paul can make the pass (and we're talking about a great passer here) to his screeners running the middle, it's an open lane. Although, getting the ball out of Paul's hands should be first priority.

FkLA
05-02-2015, 12:20 AM
I thought about this today a bit, and I think there's a way to make it useless. Just have the Paul defender shade him closing out one side of the court. You know, like when our defenders on the wing close the middle and opens the lane towards the sideline. At that point the double-screen doesn't matter, because while the defender will likely get screened, Paul can only really come off on one side. The whole point of the double-screen is to make it hard to know which side he'll come out from (or more correctly, let him pick). If you take that choice away, then it's just a regular pick & roll.

Just a thought.

Yep, I was thinking the same thing during the last game. Preferably left too since he's been mainly going right and hitting those midrange shots at a high clip all series long. Also why the fuck don't they just go under the screens when they're set like 5-10 feet behind the three-point line?

FkLA
05-02-2015, 12:23 AM
Also not related to the screens, but I'd double Griffin in the post a lot more often. He's a good passer but I actually don't think he's reacted all that well to double teams this series. Every time there is a mismatch on switches and the Spurs are forced to double it seems like he always panics (similar to Kawhi in Game 1) and the Clips end up with a bad shot tbh.

hyhy
05-02-2015, 12:30 AM
I got a solution. Situational Hack-a-Jordan. Once u see the double screen, Hack him. Keep doing that until they stop the double screen or take out Jordan. Since Jordan and Griffin is the one doing the hamburger play, we can just foul him all the time, even at the end of the game tbh

therealtruth
05-02-2015, 09:45 AM
The problem is one Paul's defender gets picked he's attacking the basket at full speed which makes it difficult for the bigs to keep up.

look_at_g_shred
05-02-2015, 09:50 AM
How about pick him up as soon as he passes mid court instead of giving him time to make a decision about what he's going to do. When they double screen comes, I would space the fuck out of it. Just space it. Don't let them set the screen and back off.

therealtruth
05-02-2015, 10:49 AM
yeah, the switching isn't working. But you gotta try something else. Maybe trap Paul once he's out of the screen?

Tiago actually did good covering the penetration, but then they iso and he gets burned with the jumper. Maybe double in those cases? I don't really care if it's Matt Barnes left open.

Good point about the trap. It could make it easy to get steals. Regardless of what we try we have try something because it's working for them and they're sticking with it. It would be ridiculous to get beat by the same playcall over and over.

said7
05-02-2015, 10:51 AM
2-3 zone. They did it a few games ago.

TDomination
05-02-2015, 11:01 AM
Another strategy is to have the bigs hedge hard and keep Paul on the perimeter... obviously, the problem here is that if Paul can make the pass (and we're talking about a great passer here) to his screeners running the middle, it's an open lane. Although, getting the ball out of Paul's hands should be first priority.

Yep, I was thinking the same thing during the last game. Preferably left too since he's been mainly going right and hitting those midrange shots at a high clip all series long. Also why the fuck don't they just go under the screens when they're set like 5-10 feet behind the three-point line?

How about pick him up as soon as he passes mid court instead of giving him time to make a decision about what he's going to do. When they double screen comes, I would space the fuck out of it. Just space it. Don't let them set the screen and back off.

I like these ideas. If we became more aggressive, I think it would force Paul to run a different offense. Whether its picking him up at half court or even full court press.

Now if they do the double screen, if you back off all the time or go under, that obviously leaves an open 3 for Paul. But if the screen is set really far out then it won't be a problem.

Another thing, if they're gonna keep doing the screens, don't start with green or kawhi on paul, they're just gonna switch anyways. Keep parker on him or patty on him. And maybe just have kawhi or green guard jordan and so when the switch comes, they can be the ones to switch off of jordan on to paul.

therealtruth
05-02-2015, 11:22 AM
I like these ideas. If we became more aggressive, I think it would force Paul to run a different offense. Whether its picking him up at half court or even full court press.

Now if they do the double screen, if you back off all the time or go under, that obviously leaves an open 3 for Paul. But if the screen is set really far out then it won't be a problem.

Another thing, if they're gonna keep doing the screens, don't start with green or kawhi on paul, they're just gonna switch anyways. Keep parker on him or patty on him. And maybe just have kawhi or green guard jordan and so when the switch comes, they can be the ones to switch off of jordan on to paul.

I agree pick up CP3 fullcourt. He's playing 40+ minutes. Keep the pressure on him.

ducks
05-02-2015, 11:22 AM
Have baynes set up a moving screen on cp3

Seventyniner
05-02-2015, 11:39 AM
The Spurs' halfcourt defense has actually been good as a whole. Those live ball turnovers are why the Clippers score so well.

DMC
05-02-2015, 11:56 AM
I don't get why you need to pick him up at the half court anyhow. With those two up there, they aren't in the paint, just switch to a zone.

DMC
05-02-2015, 12:02 PM
The Spurs' halfcourt defense has actually been good as a whole. Those live ball turnovers are why the Clippers score so well.

The Spurs suffer from poor decision making during the inbounds after a basket or during the defensive rebound. They seem to allow almost anyone to bring the ball up the court instead of finding the PG most of the time. When Danny brings it up, he's apt to turn it over. Then you'll see guys stand in the back court with the ball and wait for someone to come back and get it. It's like they don't practice that aspect of their offense. Only a couple guys need to bring the ball up, and none of the bigs need to unless it's a chaotic situation like a turnover or something where there's no better option.

The problem with that is it puts the ball in Tony's hands on every possession, and he just runs around dribbling. Why doesn't anyone say the ball stops moving because Tony stops moving it? Tony seems to think that him moving with the ball is the same as moving the ball.

therealtruth
05-02-2015, 12:39 PM
Why don't the Spurs try the same technique. It's working for Paul. It could work for Parker.

TheGoldStandard
05-02-2015, 12:40 PM
Why don't the Spurs try the same technique. It's working Paul. It could work for Parker.

You have to pass the ball in order for it to be effective

ceperez
05-02-2015, 12:46 PM

Send Paul to the side of the court where he's not comfortable. He seems to be with the ball in the same spot most of game 6.

DarrinS
05-02-2015, 01:25 PM
You have to pass the ball in order for it to be effective

Or, you have to be a scoring threat from mid-range.

Mr Fundamental
05-02-2015, 01:32 PM
- Let CP3 to shoot 3s instead of driving into the paint.
- Attack on Cp3 on offensive end, keep him moving.
- Try zone defence when LA in rythym.
- Shoot 3's on offence instead of long 2's(Especially Tony is killing us with long 2's)

TampaDude
05-02-2015, 01:34 PM
Have Ayres hipcheck Paul into the scorer's table. :lol

RD2191
05-02-2015, 01:44 PM
yes.

TheGoldStandard
05-02-2015, 01:51 PM
Can he hip check Parker while he is at it

TampaDude
05-02-2015, 01:52 PM
Can he hip check Parker while he is at it

That might actually help us more. :lol

mercos
05-02-2015, 02:13 PM
I liked Coach Nick's idea of putting Kawhi on one of the bigs. He has actually been forced on to Blake Griffin a couple of times due to switches, and he guards him fairly well. Danny Green should be on CP3 at all times anyway. If they run the double screen, Kawhi can pick up CP3 on the switch.

therealtruth
05-02-2015, 02:48 PM
-
- Attack on Cp3 on offensive end, keep him moving.

That's one thing we could do if we had a healthy TP. Not having a health TP hurts us because Cp3 has more energy for offense. TP's definitely got to step it up.

UZER
05-02-2015, 03:04 PM

I started a thread after game 6 about forcing him left. Every jumper he makes on the move is when he's going right. Over play him on the right side. Jump the high side even when the screens come. At least you taken away the stronger of 50% of his options.

#2!
05-02-2015, 04:56 PM
Z2rCPdfZWcY

Wow. Those screens are ridiculous. Idk if there is a single legal screen set by the clippers in that video. Most coaches would mention it to the press (which actually works), but I know the Spurs have only ever done something like that when dealing directly with the league. Hopefully they did, because it's impossible to defend when two illegal screens are being set simultaneously during plays.

hitmanyr2k
05-02-2015, 07:12 PM

therealtruth
05-02-2015, 07:18 PM
Pop stealing the idea to get TP going. Nice.

FkLA
05-02-2015, 07:38 PM
Same play over and over. No adjustments.