PDA

View Full Version : SA/LA Gm 6: Am I being a homer or was the officiating worse than normal

spursncowboys
05-01-2015, 09:47 AM
It seemed like Clippers got more than a few obvious no calls. Which is normal, but the traveling by Crawford, and blake jumping on top of green in the fast break. I don't want refs deciding the outcome, but these were over the top. Replays showed the refs were looking at Crawfords feet. So he counted the steps. They were on the front side to see blake leap forward. Every play they were overly aggressive and it could be ticky tack but those two I felt should have been called regardless of the score/time left in game/etc. Legit? Or just me upset we gave up the game with terrible shooting and trying to find excuses?

Poolboy5623
05-01-2015, 09:49 AM
The refs are always bad, so what's "normal?"

spursncowboys
05-01-2015, 10:04 AM
The refs are always bad, so what's "normal?"
What do you mean?

tmtcsc
05-01-2015, 10:15 AM
I didn't have time to notice. It sure wasn't why the Spurs lost.

ballhog
05-01-2015, 10:35 AM
They let the Clips get away with a lot of contact in game. Some were a little ridiculous.

Maddog
05-01-2015, 10:38 AM
I think the Spurs got beat.
Yeah you can quibble here or there about the refs however Kia Boy and Chrissie hit some tough shots. If Marco hadn't gone crazy that would have been a blow out.
Time to move on.

cd98
05-01-2015, 10:45 AM
The problem wasn't the refs, it was the Spurs inability to guard the pick and roll and their offense efficiency sucked, particularly our top 10 in the NBA player, Kawhi Leonard.

Cry Havoc
05-01-2015, 10:52 AM
The biggest problem I have with the officiating is that they make it absolutely impossible to fight through screens. Deandre sets a screen now and actually extends his forearm to completely block any chance our defender has of getting around. It's one reason why Chris Paul went wild last night -- the Clippers were setting some of the most illegal screens I've ever seen, and they know they won't get called for it. They weren't called for it ONCE last night.

Cry Havoc
05-01-2015, 10:53 AM
The problem wasn't the refs, it was the Spurs inability to guard the pick and roll and their offense efficiency sucked, particularly our top 10 in the NBA player, Kawhi Leonard.

He's getting hammered on those screens with no call. It's physically impossible to get through them without picking up a foul, which WE were called for several times last night despite the Clippers setting the worst picks I've ever seen.

cjw
05-01-2015, 10:54 AM
Clips got jobbed in game 5 (before the offensive interference, which was correctly called), so I don't think we have any reason to be upset. Yes, they could have called traveling on Crawford but whatever

cd98
05-01-2015, 10:58 AM
He's getting hammered on those screens with no call. It's physically impossible to get through them without picking up a foul, which WE were called for several times last night despite the Clippers setting the worst picks I've ever seen.

I don't blame him for his inability to fight through screens. If screens are done right, you usually can't fight through them. But our bigs can't guard the shooter. But Kawhi's offense has been terrible two games in a row. There is no one on the Clipper roster that can guard him. He should be scoring 25 points a game, minimum. He wasn't missing shots because of the Clipper D.

pageC4
05-01-2015, 11:08 AM
It seemed like Clippers got more than a few obvious no calls. Which is normal, but the traveling by Crawford, and blake jumping on top of green in the fast break. I don't want refs deciding the outcome, but these were over the top. Replays showed the refs were looking at Crawfords feet. So he counted the steps. They were on the front side to see blake leap forward. Every play they were overly aggressive and it could be ticky tack but those two I felt should have been called regardless of the score/time left in game/etc. Legit? Or just me upset we gave up the game with terrible shooting and trying to find excuses?
Spursncowboys,
What’s funny is how Clippers fans also believe the exact same thing. Anytime our team loses the fans blame the refs. I believe losing a game depends on the players and coaching, not referees. Each team lost on their home court more than once, and each team had runs of like 10-1 at times during the games, so they each can beat the other team at will and give up points at will. Blaming the refs is atrocious. It takes accountability away from poor execution by the players and coach. This goes both ways, Clippers fans shouldn’t blame the refs either when they loose. If you don’t believe me check out the threads on clippers.topbuzz.com when the Clippers loose, and you will see the exact same pattern. I’m sorry but if you play a close game and you believe you got jobbed on a play why did you let it get close? There is a series of seven games, you have seven chances to win four games…the refs won’t determine the outcome, your team will.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
05-01-2015, 11:10 AM
Worse. Danny Crawford is a company man. So if the league wanted to extend the serious, the calls were going to go the Clips way. And my fears were realized last night. I pray that the other Crawford is the ref for tomorrow's game. Man and to think just 5+ years ago I would have wished the total opposite.

Old School 44
05-01-2015, 11:36 AM
The officiating was bad, but that wasn't the reason the Spurs lost. I'm sure (i would hope) it's not fixed, but sometimes though it feels like some NBA officials "steer" the game to an exciting finish, by helping to keep the game close.

doobs
05-01-2015, 11:40 AM
The traveling no-call was annoying but frankly the Spurs should not have been in the position to need that call. What bothered me about the officiating was how the Clippers were setting illegal screens and basically knocking our defenders into the ballhandler, which led to a few unfair foul calls.

But really, this loss is on Kawhi, Parker, Ginobili and Green. And Pop for the idiotic 2nd quarter hacking.

Clipper Nation
05-01-2015, 11:48 AM
http://i.imgur.com/gZptmdw.gif

cantthinkofanything
05-01-2015, 11:49 AM

Shit...what about Green getting shoulder checked to the floor by Griffin right in front of the ref. It wasn't even close. Blake actually stepped into him and raised his shoulder.
Then there was a crucial shot from the top of the key by Rivers or Crawford that showed the Clipper pick sliding with the defensive player.

xellos88330
05-01-2015, 11:59 AM
My only problems are with the screens. The other bad calls tend to happen, but the moving screen has been consistently missed on the Clippers side.

mercos
05-01-2015, 12:09 PM
NBA officiating is terrible, but that is well known and expected at this point. The only thing that really bothers me about this series is the illegal screens, mainly because the Clippers are notorious for it. There were plenty of bad calls on both ends, but it was the Spurs inability to get their offense going that cost them game 6.

kaji157
05-01-2015, 12:17 PM
You can either go and legalize moving screens, or can allow the defender to push the screener a bit to get through.
But what the refs have been doing the last game is idiotic, they were not calling the moving screen yet calling a defensive fouls on the guard chasing the ballhandler which is itdiotic.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
05-01-2015, 12:23 PM
You can either go and legalize moving screens, or can allow the defender to push the screener a bit to get through.
But what the refs have been doing the last game is idiotic, they were not calling the moving screen yet calling a defensive fouls on the guard chasing the ballhandler which is itdiotic.

Yep, the Clippers screener move their upper half into the defender initiating the contact and sometimes bumping the defender into the player they are screening for. They have been letting this go all series. And actually, only Joey Crawford call a couple against the Clips in game 2 if you guys don't recall.

05-01-2015, 02:07 PM
Yep, the Clippers screener move their upper half into the defender initiating the contact and sometimes bumping the defender into the player they are screening for. They have been letting this go all series. And actually, only Joey Crawford call a couple against the Clips in game 2 if you guys don't recall.
I'm praying we get Joey for g7

daslicer
05-01-2015, 02:11 PM
My new nickname for Doc is Phil Blackson because just like Phil Jackson after every playoff loss he bitches about the refs so he can get special treatment the next game. This going to be a trend for Doc since he knows Ballmer pay for his fines every time he bitches but unlike Phil Jackson he will never win another title.

RD2191
05-01-2015, 02:13 PM
My new nickname for Doc is Phil Blackson because just like Phil Jackson after every playoff loss he bitches about the refs so he can get special treatment the next game. This going to be a trend for Doc since he knows Ballmer pay for his fines every time he bitches but unlike Phil Jackson he will never win another title.
:lol

kdaltcu
05-01-2015, 02:16 PM
Doc's $25,000 fine was basically a payment for the refs to give them a makeup game. The foul Griffin put on Green is beyond comprehension, that gets called 99% of the time.

stnick2261
05-01-2015, 03:10 PM
Crawford has a habit of swallowing the whistle... so teams like the Clippers can extend an elbow or forearm... stick the knee out just a little further... move just a little more while setting a pick

EVAY
05-01-2015, 03:16 PM
Being a homer and recognizing bad officiating are not mutually exclusive.

I have always disliked Danny Crawford's officiating, but I thought that Doc Rivers' complaints about the game 5 officiating had some impact on how the last game was called. Lots of coaches have done that over the years, and it has been very effective...Phil used to do it, Nellie used to do it, Doc is not the only one now to do it.

heyheymymy
05-01-2015, 03:32 PM
Worse. Danny Crawford is a company man. So if the league wanted to extend the series, the calls were going to go the Clips way. And my fears were realized last night.

I'm hoping just because they wanted a G7 doesn't mean they don't want the Spurs to advance. NBA entertainment wants to ride the coat tails of the fight buzz. G7 starts at 5PM PST, which is quite an accommodating tip time to allow people to pre-game the fight with a huge NBA game. Reggie and Chuck were doing a promo op boxing around with Paq that they showed during G6. They don't have any other games set for Saturday night, either. So If Spurs closed in 6, they have no product to piggyback the sports hype of that day.

Plus, this is a WCF caliber series, of course they want to max the series out.

chrhawk
05-01-2015, 03:34 PM
Maybe our guards should the elbow the crap out of their bigs if moving screens are really that big of a problem

HI-FI
05-01-2015, 04:37 PM
The officiating has been a joke for the most part but Spurs need to fix their internal issues. Pop should point out how absurd the Clippers have been with the moving screens but he most likely won't. That's been the biggest hookup for the Clippers. But them Kia and State Farm commercials need more air time so....

EVAY
05-01-2015, 04:41 PM
The officiating has been a joke for the most part but Spurs need to fix their internal issues. Pop should point out how absurd the Clippers have been with the moving screens but he most likely won't. That's been the biggest hookup for the Clippers. But them Kia and State Farm commercials need more air time so....

I honestly believe that if the refs consistently called the moving screens on the Clips, we would win by a double digit margin.

therealtruth
05-01-2015, 06:46 PM
Pop's using hack-a-jordan. Doc's using moving screens. You got to do whatever it takes to win.

Clipper Nation
05-01-2015, 06:48 PM

We'll stop the moving screens when Manu stops flopping and getting bailed out for it every time. Deal? :downspin:

russellgoat
05-01-2015, 10:15 PM
:lol The team that got the less fouls called in a finals complaining about refs

K...
05-02-2015, 09:43 AM
Sucks we can't play big banger cuz of PTSD. That and splitter being limited really means we get bullied by their big guys. Refs aren't really going to change that. CP3 is feasting on hard quasi legal screens.....THAT"S OUR GAME TOO! But we're not at 100%.