PDA

View Full Version : Start Diaw

coachmac87
05-01-2015, 06:21 PM
Splitter just isn't doing anything on offense...and his defense has been ok. It's not like he's out there long anyways...Just start Diaw from the jump. This offense has started slow every game and Diaw can help create shots for others..especially Green..but he could also maybe get Griffin in foul trouble.

Play Spilitter but bring him off the bench.

Silver&Black
05-01-2015, 06:26 PM
#StartBobo

TXstbobcat
05-01-2015, 06:31 PM
Bobo to the rescue. :bobo

SpurPadre
05-01-2015, 06:35 PM
It's tough but Splitter did have 10 boards last night and rebounding has been an issue for us in this series. As much as people have been saying we're struggling on offense, we're still averaging 102.5 PPG which isn't a dramatic drop-off from our regular season average of 103.2 PPG. The main problem is we're allowing 101.6 PPG which is a noticeable drop off from our season average of 97 PPG. We haven't been able to get enough stops and while Diaw will help with offense, it'll be a game where we have to win on offense, not defense since Diaw cannot defend Griffin.

Spur|n|Austin
05-01-2015, 06:35 PM
I agree with this.

rasuo214
05-01-2015, 06:58 PM
It's tough but Splitter did have 10 boards last night and rebounding has been an issue for us in this series. As much as people have been saying we're struggling on offense, we're still averaging 102.5 PPG which isn't a dramatic drop-off from our regular season average of 103.2 PPG. The main problem is we're allowing 101.6 PPG which is a noticeable drop off from our season average of 97 PPG. We haven't been able to get enough stops and while Diaw will help with offense, it'll be a game where we have to win on offense, not defense since Diaw cannot defend Griffin.

Spurs are +18.9 per 100 poss with Diaw/Duncan/Kawhi/Danny/Parker vs -12.7 per 100 poss with Splitter/Duncan/Kawhi/Danny/Parker

That's for this series.

SpurPadre
05-01-2015, 07:01 PM
Spurs are +18.9 per 100 poss with Diaw/Duncan/Kawhi/Danny/Parker vs -12.7 per 100 poss with Splitter/Duncan/Kawhi/Danny/Parker

That's for this series.

I stand corrected...but will Pop realistically do this and start him?

rasuo214
05-01-2015, 07:11 PM

I have no idea but he needs to inject some offense into the starting lineup. No way he benches Parker, Kawhi or Duncan. They need Danny for defense so that leaves Splitter for Diaw as the best option.

therealtruth
05-01-2015, 07:12 PM

He did it in the Finals. It might be worth exploring.

AFBlue
05-01-2015, 07:35 PM
:bobo

Malik Hairston
05-01-2015, 07:36 PM
Splitter played better last night, but ya, since they aren't going to bench Parker, starting Diaw is the only alternative IMO..the Tiago-Manu pick&roll was decent last night IIRC, they could use that off the bench..Boris has great chemistry with the 2nd unit, but they don't necessarily need him out there with Mills and Beli shooting so well, and Manu as the playmaker..

Bonner could work in spacing the floor, but they really need another playmaker in the game, the offense is struggling to create good looks..

testies
05-01-2015, 07:40 PM
The line-ups that should play together are so obvious, yet Pop fucks it up all the time

Malik Hairston
05-01-2015, 07:45 PM
The lack of 2-way players is hurting the team, tbh..

Tim- 2-way player, but can't defend outside anymore
Splitter- limited by injury, affecting both sides of the game for him
Diaw- 1-way player
Green- 2-way player, but can't create his own shot, needs to be on the floor with playmakers
Parker- 1-way player
Leonard- 2-way player
Manu- 1-way player with the occasional defensive effort(played a great defensive game in 1 of the games in this series IIRC)
Beli- 1-way player
Patty- 1-way player

None of the PGs can defend on the team..Beli is better on offense than Green, but he can't play defense against their starting unit..Duncan and immobile Splitter are having trouble moving around the perimeter, Diaw is better on offense, but he can't defend anybody..

If you watch the Warriors, they don't have any liabilities on either end of the floor, tbh..even Curry has improved his defense to the point where he's not a liability..they can switch everything, while still being able to defend the interior with Bogut..

TheGreatYacht
05-01-2015, 10:45 PM
Splitter has been horrible this series on defense, don't know what all the hype is about. On offense he's just clogging up the paint which is why Kawhi and Parker have to settle for 18 footers, he's also sloppy and hesitant when he has an open look :lol He's making Griffin look like prime Garnett. Just bench his ass and pray that he can at least set a nice pick for once with the second unit.

Blake Griffin 2014-2015:
21.9ppg, 7.6rpg, 5.3apg, 0.9spg, 0.5bpg

Blake Griffin this series:
24.2ppg, 13.2rpg, 7.0apg, 1.7spg, 1.7bpg

houston spurs fan
05-01-2015, 11:54 PM
I don't necessarily disagree but if Diaw starts (and potentially gets into foul trouble against a charged, ultra aggressive Griffin to start the game) who is the first big off the bench? I think you still have to steal minutes with Splitter who will probably start again but ultimately Diaw plays the bulk of the minutes.

rasuo214
05-02-2015, 01:47 AM
I don't necessarily disagree but if Diaw starts (and potentially gets into foul trouble against a charged, ultra aggressive Griffin to start the game) who is the first big off the bench? I think you still have to steal minutes with Splitter who will probably start again but ultimately Diaw plays the bulk of the minutes.

Splitter starting the first few minutes to see how things go is alright if Pop is ready with a quick hook.

siraulo23
05-02-2015, 03:57 AM
Cmon Pop do it!

cd021
05-02-2015, 04:15 AM

+/- per game

Parker-Green-Leonard-Diaw-Duncan +4.0 ppg

Parker-Green-Leonard-Splitter-Duncan -2.7 pgg

The Diaw starting lineup is +6.7 ppg in this series

I'd have Splitter backup Duncan. Thats probably 8-10 minutes of floor time. His net rtg is -26 in this series. The offense stalls when he's on the floor. Having Mills, Manu, Beli and Diaw playing alongside him should help.

Net Rtg

Paul-Reddick-Barnes-Griffin-Jordan = -3 net rtg

Parker-Green-Leonard-Splitter-Duncan = -11 net rtg

our normal starting unit has been a big failure

Parker-Green-Leonard-Diaw-Duncan is a + 21.8 net rtg

the Diaw unit is +24.8 net over the Clippers starting lineup.

The Diaw lineup is only giving up 93 points per 100 possessions (really good, 5th best of any lineup that's played 40 minutes together in the playoffs) while the Clippers startin unit has the wort defensive rating of any lineup in the playoffs.

If Diaw starts, based on those numbers, the Spurs could blow the doors off the Clippers starting lineup.

cd021
05-02-2015, 04:24 AM

Diaw is definitely the better choice the offense and defense are significantly better when Diaw is plugged into the starting unit over Splitter in this series.

The foul trouble is a legit point, though, some of Diaws fouls were Hack-A Jordan's. As long as he doesn't pick up 3 fouls in the first half its worth the risk. Even if he only plays 15 minutes in the 1st half, the Spurs could play him between 18-20 in the second half. He can't play only 30 minutes he needs to be closer to 36 minutes. He's hitting 60% of his 7.5 2pt FGs per game. Him starting and being aggressive could force Griffin to use more energy than he would have with Splitter.

Splitter should backup Duncan (8-10 minutes). Bonner should get some time at the 4 as well as Leonard (assuming the Clippers go small if Big Baby is out)

therealtruth
05-02-2015, 09:48 AM
It worked for us in the Finals. I definitely think it's worth exploring. We need to get Kawhi going and Diaw can help that. Also he's one of our best players in this series.

vander
05-02-2015, 09:56 AM
Start Bonner! Spread the floor! Make the clips go isoball against Bonner since teams think they have to do that when he's out there

TDomination
05-02-2015, 10:05 AM
Start Bonner! Spread the floor! Make the clips go isoball against Bonner since teams think they have to do that when he's out there

lol about the teams feeling like they have to go iso ball against bonner, its true though lol.

But whether you were being sarcastic or not, i don't know why but I wouldn't mind it as much. I'm must disliking splitters play and i don't care who comes in but I wouldn't be against seeing bonner for a stretch just to see what happens. If not, then lets just go small ball.

hater
05-02-2015, 10:15 AM
Splitter is our best pick n roll player and defender. If he can't remain on the floor for long periods unfortunately we are getting raped

TampaDude
05-02-2015, 02:03 PM
:bobo