PDA

View Full Version : Should the Spurs match Utah's offer?

timvp
09-07-2005, 05:22 PM
Now that everyone has gotten a chance to get all the facts and think it over, do you think the Spurs should match the offer sheet on Devin Brown? The Jazz are offering him a one-year contract worth $2.5M with a team option for a second season.

We've also recently learned that Van Exel and Finley have one-year contracts (though the info on Finley isn't 100% verified). It's also been revealed that unless the Spurs are able to trade away Brent Barry and/or Rasho Nesterovic, re-signing Devin would push the Spurs above the luxury tax threshold.

Considering all that, and assuming Devin wants to remain in San Antonio, do you want the Spurs to match Utah's offer?

Question.

angel_luv
09-07-2005, 05:25 PM
I like Devin a lot but I want to keep Barry (and definitely Rasho) over him.

Devin should go to Utah. May he play and prosper!

xcoriate
09-07-2005, 05:25 PM
yep, lux tax impacts are pretty minimal if your only over by a little and I'm concerned at what will happen in a years time. We want to three-peat right. That won't happen when Barry is the only guaranteed swingman.

Spurminator
09-07-2005, 05:26 PM
Assuming Devin wants to stay, yes.

I'm wondering if he really does though. I think it would be better for him to go to Utah unless Barry is out of the picture.

midgetonadonkey
09-07-2005, 05:26 PM
I think they should resign him unless they trade either Rasho and/or Barry. He is a good player, but not worth paying luxury tax.

angel_luv
09-07-2005, 05:27 PM
I didn't know how to vote. Devin is worth the 2.5 million. There just isn't enough money and playing time to go around.

Marcus Bryant
09-07-2005, 05:30 PM
It's time for Holt Cat to pay up.

timvp
09-07-2005, 05:30 PM
I didn't know how to vote. Devin is worth the 2.5 million. There just isn't enough money and playing time to go around.

Noted. I added a fourth option.

NZHayden
09-07-2005, 05:35 PM
resign, devin is great

Marcus Bryant
09-07-2005, 05:39 PM
I hope most of you guys realize that the Spurs intend to dump Radoslav for nothing, lose Mohammed in free agency and then start Oberto. Losing Brown over lux tax issues is the stuff of cheapskate owners trying to have their championship cake and enjoy some serious cash flow too.

At what point do Spurs fans stop sprouting erections when the Spurs are being cheap?

angel_luv
09-07-2005, 05:40 PM
Noted. I added a fourth option.

Thanks! I voted. = )

David@SLCC
09-07-2005, 06:04 PM
Could I request a fifth option?

"No, the Jazz need him. Giricek sucks!"

Then, I'll vote.

50 cent
09-07-2005, 06:04 PM
I hope most of you guys realize that the Spurs intend to dump Radoslav for nothing, lose Mohammed in free agency and then start Oberto. Losing Brown over lux tax issues is the stuff of cheapskate owners trying to have their championship cake and enjoy some serious cash flow too.

At what point do Spurs fans stop sprouting erections when the Spurs are being cheap?
Yeah, I'm sure that's exactly what the Spurs intend to do. Come on, quit letting your hate for Holt cloud your ability to think.

Horry For 3!
09-07-2005, 06:08 PM
If they do get Devin then trade Brent/Rasho/Beno

Mark in Austin
09-07-2005, 06:10 PM
Given the one year deals for Van Exel and Finley, I think it is a no-brainer to re-sign Devin. Hell, the Spurs ate 2.5 million when the waived Mercer's ass mid-season. If Finley was locked in for multiple years, then I would be 50-50. But as it stands, and given the intent of dumping Rasho and not being willing to pay Nazr what he will likely be offered next summer, the odds are very, very good that the lux. tax is a short-term issue for the Spurs.

angel_luv
09-07-2005, 06:11 PM
If they do get Devin then trade Brent/Rasho/Beno

How about we trade Horry for 3!

After that post of yours, it is a move I cuold live with.

:lol J/K!
I'l stop the hate if you will! = )

E20
09-07-2005, 06:22 PM
Devin would have been awesome but, that damn back injury!!

2.5 Mil + the lux tax, is Devin worth the 5 Mil I would say yes and keep him, I mean so far he's our best bet to become the new Bowen. I think he'd get playing time in his postion because look at the players he's with:

Manu around 28-30 MPG
Micheal Finley back up SF
Brent Barry getting the mintues at the PG/SG
Devin giving Manu or whoever else needs a break (SG/SF).

2nd String:
Barry
Devin
Finley
Oberto/Horry
Rasho

We can save Beno when the time comes either if we're playing small or Parker and Barry are struggling and I think potentially he's in the Mike Wilks spot.

Save NVE for Garbage/Grind-out/Playoffs

Devin is a good young balla (headband proves it)
I think he would get minutes in the Spurs system (only thing that kept him was his back)

He is worth the 5 Mil to invest for the future.

BTW, How is Devin doing with his back anyway?

Trainwreck2100
09-07-2005, 06:59 PM
Should they, yes will they, barring trade no. Even though I think Holt should eat the 5 mil.

BTW when does his deadline hit.

timvp
09-07-2005, 07:09 PM
Friday morning is the deadline.

TwoHandJam
09-07-2005, 07:10 PM
Barry is a better fit for our team than Devin so I wouldn't give up Barry for Devin. If we don't give up Barry but keep Devin then I think he'll be disappointed with the lack of minutes with all the swingmen.

Bottom line, we might just have to give Devin up for nothing because we're already too stacked and it wouldn't be fair to keep him.

ObiwanGinobili
09-07-2005, 07:13 PM
I want to keep Devin, But I don't want to get rid of Barry to do so.
So i vote "match Devin's offer and trade Rasho" (sorry angel)
I think he's worth the 2.5 .. at least for a year or 2 to see how he develops..... not to mention that we arn't even gonna have NVE and Finfin past this season..... nbot to jinx us, but I think we'd have a better chanvce at a 3-peat if Devin was on the rooster in 2007.
(i see all with my magic 8-ball)

TDMVPDPOY
09-07-2005, 07:21 PM
Let him go imo, at leasts the jazz doesnt pose a threat to us

ChumpDumper
09-07-2005, 07:28 PM
How many 12th men get that kind of scratch?

I'm all for setting precedent, but c'mon. It's a nice sentiment, but I can't think any team would do so, especially when a guy like Sanders is available (I assume he is).

Tick-tock.

Kori Ellis
09-07-2005, 07:31 PM
especially when a guy like Sanders is available (I assume he is).

Melvin Sanders?

He signed in Spain a few weeks back.

ChumpDumper
09-07-2005, 07:33 PM
Ah thanks, I was about to put in some parentheses asking if he was indeed still available.

Now I know.

I can imagine there are a few invites out there, I did say "like" Sanders after all.

Of course I'd prefer Devin, I just can't remember the last time someone signed for this role for this much. Something needs to change.

Kori Ellis
09-07-2005, 07:34 PM
Have you heard any rumblings about Rodney White?

ChumpDumper
09-07-2005, 07:37 PM
Not at all, but i haven't been terribly vigilant. I admit to a creeping complacency after the Finley signing.

That should mean a blockbuster trade is just around the corner.

timvp
09-07-2005, 07:41 PM
That should mean a blockbuster trade is just around the corner.

Perhaps a Rasho, Barry and Beno trade to a team with caproom or a trade exception. Throw in a couple expiring contracts, if necessary, and the Spurs might bite.

But then again, that'd make too much sense.

ChumpDumper
09-07-2005, 07:42 PM
Another thing to think about -- Boston already has too many guaranteed contracts, so a guy like Qyntel Woods could be available at some point. The Spurs could afford to wait after this drama plays out.

timvp
09-07-2005, 07:43 PM
Qyntel Woods or Theron Smith sound like perfect guys for a 14th man role on the roster.

50 cent
09-07-2005, 07:50 PM
I say we gotta let Devin go. He is certainly not worth the $5M it would cost with his questionable back. I hate that we are going to lose him, but it doesn't make sense to keep him.

angel_luv
09-07-2005, 08:21 PM
Perhaps a Rasho, Barry and Beno trade to a team with caproom or a trade exception. Throw in a couple expiring contracts, if necessary, and the Spurs might bite.

But then again, that'd make too much sense.

Nobody is worth three of my favorites. Have a nice trip Devin.

Dre_7
09-07-2005, 08:32 PM
Trade Barry! Maybe then SA will be able to re-sign Devin, and give Fin an extension if he does well. He is younger than Barry ya know.

BTW, Kori, your new Avatar screws with my head!!! :lol

ALVAREZ6
09-07-2005, 08:33 PM
Hell Yeah, I don't want D-Brown to leave.

Sense
09-07-2005, 08:41 PM
I think we are set the way we are.

yeahone
09-07-2005, 09:22 PM
well personally i would like for the spurs t oresign devin,,,but with the current rostrer there is n oplaying time for him,,so i thin kthe best thing for devins career is to go ahead and play with the jazz.

Mavs<Spurs
09-07-2005, 10:24 PM
I like Devin. He has a good future ahead of him. In other circumstances, I would probably want to keep him. However, we have so much other talent that could play at that position and it will cost $5 million to keep him (due to luxury tax from what you all are saying). I think that $5 million is too much to pay for somebody who will hardly play in games.
I also believe that Barry will have a much better year than he did last year. I think that his outside shooting will return to normal (like over the last five years).

Obstructed_View
09-07-2005, 10:37 PM
Let Devin go get his PT for the Jazz, there will be plenty of spots for him to fill over the next few years as guys retire.

SenorSpur
09-08-2005, 01:37 AM

I don't agree that the Spurs are resigned to losing Nazr in free agency. I would certainly hope Pop and R.C. are smarter than that. He's a viable commodity and serves a purpose. Had it not been for his contributions, the championship would not have been possible.

I do agree that Rasho will have to be dealt and, of course, Oberto is still an unproven commodity.

xcoriate
09-08-2005, 02:04 AM
so we going to give him 10mil a season?

SenorSpur
09-08-2005, 02:22 AM
so we going to give him 10mil a season?

how much is Nazr making now?

timvp
09-08-2005, 02:30 AM
Five million.

Vashner
09-08-2005, 07:33 AM
Devin's back is blown.... you can't totally fix disk disease... PERIOD..
There is no amount of technology that gives it a 100% fix (I have 8 bad disks myself).

Kip Fanatic
09-08-2005, 09:52 AM
The selfish part of me says that the Spurs should re-sign Devin Brown because he is "homeboy" product. In a perfect world, he would play his whole career in SA, win several rings, and retire his number here in SA. However, I seriously doubt the Spurs will match unless a trade offer comes along that allows the Spurs to re-sign Devin. I don't think any team in the NBA wants to help the Spurs out especially after the moves they have made. If the Spurs match, I will be very surprised, however, how many minutes will Devin play? It seems to me that D. Brown wants to play a significant amount of minutes. I don't see that happening after the Spurs signed Finley.

ObiwanGinobili
09-08-2005, 09:59 AM
ok, heres a question:

NVE and Fin are signed for 1 yr, Devin's offer sheet with Utah has the 2nd yr @ team option........giving we unload Rasho/Beno/Barry either this season or next....
What are the chances that Devin Brown could become a Spur again???

(and yes i maybe living in a fantasy world.. but it could happen)

wildbill2u
09-08-2005, 10:09 AM
5 Million for Devin? Not in this space/time dimension. Too bad because he is a homeboy, etc., but not that much money for a 13th man.

Wish him well and let him shine in Utah.

Marcus Bryant
09-08-2005, 10:20 AM
Given the one year deals for Van Exel and Finley, I think it is a no-brainer to re-sign Devin. Hell, the Spurs ate 2.5 million when the waived Mercer's ass mid-season. If Finley was locked in for multiple years, then I would be 50-50. But as it stands, and given the intent of dumping Rasho and not being willing to pay Nazr what he will likely be offered next summer, the odds are very, very good that the lux. tax is a short-term issue for the Spurs.

Exactly.

I will say this, the Spurs are experts at sending mixed signals when it comes to personnel moves. Let's not forget that it seemed all but certain that the Spurs would not extend TP last year because of his price.

In regards to the tax, if the Spurs hadn't been able to feast off of that program for the last few seasons then I might not be so critical today.

Marcus Bryant
09-08-2005, 10:24 AM
Yeah, I'm sure that's exactly what the Spurs intend to do. Come on, quit letting your hate for Holt cloud your ability to think.

If Oberto is NBA starting material the Spurs have a NBA starting center at $2.5 mil per for the next 3 seasons. If Mohammed's price next summer is around $50+ mil over 5 or 6 seasons might it will not be surprising to see him end up elsewhere. The Spurs then can continue to feast off of the lux tax program and remain a contender.

Let's not forget that the motivation behind moving Rose, above all else, was his contract.

Slo spurs fan
09-08-2005, 10:26 AM
In youth is our future!
Nuff said.

spurs_fan_in_exile
09-08-2005, 10:27 AM
ok, heres a question:

NVE and Fin are signed for 1 yr, Devin's offer sheet with Utah has the 2nd yr @ team option........giving we unload Rasho/Beno/Barry either this season or next....
What are the chances that Devin Brown could become a Spur again???

(and yes i maybe living in a fantasy world.. but it could happen)

Actually I was thinking the exact same thing. NVE probably doesn't have another season left after this one, and who knows what Finley is going to want to do after this year. If Utah doesn't want to exercise that option for some reason then the Spurs could definitely get him back and he'd probably jump at less money to come here. If they do exercise the option then maybe the Spurs can extend Finley, find a stopgap, or bring in one of their Euro projects. Devin doesn't seem to hold a lot of animosity towards the Spurs over this situation so I don't think it's unreasonable to think that he'd want to be back in silver and black again.

mcdunk
09-08-2005, 10:29 AM
The main point about Devins deal is he has an option on the second year so the Spurs only have to sign a 1 year deal. Next season they will know how the roster worked out and be able to assess the problems if any. They will be in the same situation next season with the question of re-signing Finley and/or NVE but also have the option on Devin in case the vet dont work out or go somewhere else.

The Spurs could arrange this so they only pay taxes this year and work all season to clear some cap space to get under the tax threshold for next season.

I think it is likely that the Spurs re-sign Devin.

T Park
09-08-2005, 10:36 AM
its a one year deal.

sorry devin, 2.5 million is too much for a 12th man, and there is no more PT.

Good luck Devin.

mcdunk
09-08-2005, 10:38 AM
Friday morning is the deadline.
Spurs to decide on Devin today
LAST UPDATE: 9/8/2005 7:46:31 AM
Posted By: Walter Pasacrita

The World Champion San Antonio Spurs will let the Utah Jazz know today whether they will match the two-year, $5 million offer sheet restricted free-agent Devin Brown signed last week.

The Spurs were expected to make their decision on Monday, but will use the entire 7-day period.

I'm not surprised," Brown's agent Derrick Powell said. "The Spurs are a professional organization and are known to be very methodical. It shows in the championships they've won."

The 6-foot-5 Brown played in 67 games for the Spurs last season, averaging 7.4 points and 2.6 rebounds.

http://www.woai.com/sports/story.aspx?content_id=86C01E0B-64C7-4E29-B6D5-92F786E96933

Marcus Bryant
09-08-2005, 10:41 AM
its a one year deal.

sorry devin, 2.5 million is too much for a 12th man, and there is no more PT.

Good luck Devin.

What happens when Finley leaves next summer and NVE retires? Sorry, a 54 year old Brent Barry isn't too appealing as the primary backup swing.

Marcus Bryant
09-08-2005, 10:42 AM
The main point about Devins deal is he has an option on the second year so the Spurs only have to sign a 1 year deal. Next season they will know how the roster worked out and be able to assess the problems if any. They will be in the same situation next season with the question of re-signing Finley and/or NVE but also have the option on Devin in case the vet dont work out or go somewhere else.

The Spurs could arrange this so they only pay taxes this year and work all season to clear some cap space to get under the tax threshold for next season.

I think it is likely that the Spurs re-sign Devin.

:tu

That would make sense.

Solid D
09-08-2005, 11:00 AM
Even if the Spurs match the offer, it won't mean Devin will be a Spur all season, or even part of a season. He would be a tradeable asset on a talent-bloated team. An asset that would allow the Spurs the ability to package 2-for-1 or 1 and a future draft pick.

SenorSpur
09-08-2005, 11:23 AM
I'm mixed on this one.

On one hand the Spurs are stacked (at least for this year anyway) and Devin does need playing time to develop and an opportunity to prove his back is healthy (if it really is). He won't be able to do that here, at least this season.

On the other hand, NVE and Fin are only signed for this year. What happens next year? Before his unfortunate injury, Devin had played his way into Pop's rotation (ahead of Barry). I can see him being a valuable contributor to this team going forward.

I know part of their motivation is getting rid of Rasho's contract. I'm sure they'll holding out hope that can be done. However, time is growing short.

Much as I would like to see him stay, I believe the Spurs will let him walk this year and bring him back next year (a la Sean Elliott).

It'll be interesting to see what the team does on this.

Marcus Bryant
09-08-2005, 11:25 AM
If the Spurs don't match Utah's offer then as I understand it the Jazz will hold an option on him for the 2006-07 season.

Spurs need to bite the bullet and retain him. With Finley and NVE's futures in SA uncertain past next season, letting Brown walk wouldn't be prudent.

Admidave50
09-08-2005, 11:26 AM
Yeah keeping Devin Brown and not giving him PT won't do any good to him, see what happened to Darko..

Signing back Finley at the end of this season is not impossible, if we win the championship again this year I don't see why Finley would go anywhere else!

2centsworth
09-08-2005, 11:31 AM
Yeah keeping Devin Brown and not giving him PT won't do any good to him,
only reason I said to let him go. Devin needs PT which he will get none if he sticks with the team. Don't want to get rid of Barry because his shot deserves one more year.

Marcus Bryant
09-08-2005, 11:32 AM
So you keep him around and then trade him if need be. Preferable to seeing him walk away for nothing.

mcdunk
09-08-2005, 11:33 AM
With a group of aging veterans who have chronic injuries and pains I think there will end up being enough minutes to go around for a healthy Devin. I sure hope injuries dont become an issue but if Finley and NVE are treated similar to Horry their minutes will be limited and they will be allowed to rest at different times in the regular season therefore providing some decent minutes for Devin.

Now playoff minutes will be a different story. The playoff roster will be based on whoever is playing the best at that time and being healthy will play a huge part in the play level of many of the vets.

SenorSpur
09-08-2005, 11:43 AM
So you keep him around and then trade him if need be. Preferable to seeing him walk away for nothing.

True, you never want to pull a Cuban - letting your own FAs walk without compensation. That is the cardinal sin among all GMs.

Kori Ellis
09-08-2005, 02:16 PM
Jazz not counting Brown out yet
By Lya Wodraska
The Salt Lake Tribune

http://sltrib.com/jazz/ci_3010211

For the first time, all 82 Utah Jazz games will be televised. Just who fans will see in Jazz uniforms has yet to be solidified.

Today is the last day the Spurs have to match Utah's offer for swingman Devin Brown.

Brown signed an offer sheet for a two-year deal that would pay him a little more than $5 million.

According to Brown's agent, Derrick Powell, the Spurs told some media outlets in San Antonio they would let Brown know by Monday if they were going to match Utah's offer. Powell was later told, however, the Spurs were going to use all seven days to decide the fate of the restricted free agent.

"I'm not surprised," Powell said. "The Spurs are a professional organization and are known to be very methodical. It shows in the championships they've won."

The 6-foot-5 Brown played in 67 games for the Spurs last season, averaging 7.4 points and 2.6 rebounds.

Meanwhile, Brown is occupying his free time by organizing the Devin Brown Relief Drive for Hurricane Katrina evacuees in San Antonio. Brown, who has family members in Baton Rouge, has partnered his relief fund with the Salvation Army.

As for the Jazz's airtime, KJZZ and Fox Sports Net Utah will split the duties of broadcasting Utah's games locally, with three other games to be aired nationally.

Utah's season tips off Nov. 2 against Dallas, a game carried by KJZZ. Craig Bolerjack and Ron Boone will announce the TV games. "Hot" Rod Hundley will announce the games for radio.

Marcus Bryant
09-08-2005, 02:49 PM
True, you never want to pull a Cuban - letting your own FAs walk without compensation. That is the cardinal sin among all GMs.

That was precisely what led to some of those piss poor supporting casts that David Robinson was expected to lead to a NBA championship in the early 1990s. Some of the talent loss was due to injury (ie Willie A, TC) but some was due to letting talent walk (ie Strickland).

While the Spurs' roster is stacked as of now, that is only for a season. Finley and NVE could very well be gone next summer. That would give the Spurs a three man swingman rotation with two 34 year olds (Bowen and Barry).

Win now and worry later.™

:cooldevil

SenorSpur
09-08-2005, 03:44 PM
That was precisely what led to some of those piss poor supporting casts that David Robinson was expected to lead to a NBA championship in the early 1990s. Some of the talent loss was due to injury (ie Willie A, TC) but some was due to letting talent walk (ie Strickland).

While the Spurs' roster is stacked as of now, that is only for a season. Finley and NVE could very well be gone next summer. That would give the Spurs a three man swingman rotation with two 34 year olds (Bowen and Barry).

Win now and worry later.™

:cooldevil

Good points, MB.

Personnel mismanagement and organizational instability was one of the key factors that prevented D-Rob from having the type of supporting cast he needed to get into the NBA finals.

By the way, who was the brain surgeon that thought the great Vinny Del Black (Negro) would be a suitable replacement for PG Rod Strickland? Has to be one of the most "bone headed" moves in Spurs franchise history.

Marcus Bryant
09-08-2005, 04:10 PM
Good points, MB.

Personnel mismanagement and organizational instability was one of the key factors that prevented D-Rob from having the type of supporting cast he needed to get into the NBA finals.

Nothing better than watching 57 year old Vinnie Johnson trying to 'heat up' the Spurs' title prospects back in the day.

By the way, who was the brain surgeon that thought the great Vinny Del Black (Negro) would be a suitable replacement for PG Rod Strickland? Has to be one of the most "bone headed" moves in Spurs franchise history.

Even more interesting is that the brain surgeon is the holder of not one, but two NBA Executive of the Year awards.

MannyIsGod
09-08-2005, 05:24 PM
no word yet?

Solid D
09-08-2005, 05:41 PM
Good points, MB.

I thought Avery Johnson replaced Rod Strickland as the starting PG in 1992. They did try Vinny Del Negro and Lloyd Daniels as backups to AJ but that certainly didn't work out.

Anyway, that was under Tarkanian and Lucas and McCombs. Let's live in the now, shall we?

ginobme
09-08-2005, 07:29 PM
absolutley, i hate to see him go but were are his minutes going to come from??? letting go of barry is a must if we keep him

angel_luv
09-08-2005, 10:28 PM
According to Don Harris on Woai news at 10... as of tomorrow at three Devin will be officially on his way to the Jazz. Word is that the Spurs will not match Utah's offer.

angel_luv
09-08-2005, 10:30 PM
Looks like Brent is safe. = )

Yea! Yea!

BTW, I really am sorry to see Devin go. He is awesome too.

CharlieMac
09-09-2005, 12:01 AM
Absolutely. Brown is going to blow up soon.

TheWriter
09-09-2005, 12:19 AM
Absolutely. Brown is going to blow up soon.

Should we inform his next to kin?

wildbill2u
09-09-2005, 03:01 PM
Most folks think it was his stupid no-look pass in the playoffs that doomed Strickland's career as a Spur, but Strickland appeared to be spiraling out of control off the court.

The FO worried he might be playing for the Huntsville "A" team in black and white stripes instead of in Black and Silver. In addition, Strickland made no secret of the fact that he despised San Antonio as Hickville.

It was not a marriage made in heaven.

MiNuS
09-09-2005, 03:09 PM
"Yes, but only if the Spurs trade away Barry and/or Rasho."

I really liked how Devin was playing before his injury.He was very athletic and was starting to be exciting to see.I remember that "Jordanesque" flying dunk but can't remember vs what team he did it against.

If he stays great but if he leaves fine,whatever.