PDA

View Full Version : Don't Call Them Refugees

Jelly
09-07-2005, 06:02 PM
President Bush has now joined Jesse Jackson in asking us to not call them refugees. (can't remember what Jesse wants us to call them). Now, according to Lou Dobbs, the UN is asking us to call Katrina refugees "Internally Displaced Persons". I don't get why people get so wound up on semantics. Does substituting "Internally Displaced Persons" for "refugees" really heal any wounds or lessen the pain? Does the U.N., The Black Caucus and other agencies actually have committees that think of words that might be offensive and then more committees that sit around and think of replacement phrases for simple words like "refugees"? Do the refugees even give a shit? Am I the only one that finds this anal focus on piddly little shit rather bizaare at this time?

samikeyp
09-07-2005, 06:10 PM
my wife saw on a message board where Jackson said the use of the word "refugee" was racist. I'm curious if he meant just the black people or did he mean the white people too?

Shelly
09-07-2005, 06:15 PM
I think they should be known as:

The Internally Displaced Persons formally known as refugees.

Seriously, the hell? I noticed the media has been calling them evacuees lately.

Trainwreck2100
09-07-2005, 06:16 PM
So because they are seeking refuge somewhere after being displaced. Why don't we call them Seekers Of Refuge.

timvp
09-07-2005, 06:29 PM
Well, a "refugee" is 99% of time referring to someone who escapes to another country to avoid persecution. So yeah, for people who were flooded out of New Orleans, it doesn't really make sense.

I fail to see how it's racist, but I can see why it could be considered offensive to a minor degree.

Spurminator
09-07-2005, 06:32 PM
I heard people talking about this on the train a week ago. It's not racist, but it's also not that much to ask for us to refer to them as something a little more dignifying.

Certainly nothing that needs to be fought about or debated, though I'm sure The Reverend Jesse Jackson's involvement in the issue will invite that on its own.

Cant_Be_Faded
09-07-2005, 06:32 PM
its not racist, just a misnomer i guess

Swishy McJackass
09-08-2005, 10:35 AM
They are seeking refuge. They are refugees.

Marcus Bryant
09-08-2005, 10:48 AM
Who gives a fuck? This country spends so much time on dumb shit. Seriously.

Money316
09-08-2005, 10:50 AM
I think they should be known as:

The Internally Displaced Persons formally known as refugees.

:fro :lmao :fro

Jelly, Shelly -- its the times. I just hope they don't give the NO mayor a free pass, cause he's Black, and folks are afraid dipshits like Jackson and Sharpton will call them racists.

samikeyp
09-08-2005, 10:50 AM
The two definitions I found...take them for what you will. I do think that once again Jesse Jackson has spoken without thinking. He says the word is racist...my question still stands...did he feel that way all the people or just the african-american ones? He needs to be more concerned about helping them instead of labeling them.

One who flees in search of refuge, as in times of war, political oppression, or religious persecution.

an individual seeking refuge or asylum; especially : an individual who has left his or her native country and is unwilling or unable to return to it because of persecution or fear of persecution (as because of race, religion, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion)

boutons
09-08-2005, 11:00 AM
refugee has these synonyms in Webster's Thesaurus:

exile, expatriate, fugitive, emigrant, émigré, foreigner, political refugee, expellee, evacuee, defector, castaway, homeless person, derelict, foundling, pariah, outlaw, Ishmael, prodigal, displaced person, D.P.*, alien, outcast, fugitive, renegade.

Plenty of words to choose from. No need to invent a new word or phrase. What's going in NO and its people is in no way unique and doesn't need a new word.

The assholes are fiddling with and spinning with vocubulary to dumb down, to euphemize, to "politically correct" the language to try to hide the horror of the Made-in-USA disaster. Such spinning is nothing but lying.

From M-W Unabridged Dict:

Etymology:French r*fugi*, past participle of r*fugier to put in a place of safety (se r*fugier to take refuge), from Latin refugium refuge

(damn, YET ANOTHER fucking cheese-eating-surrender-monkey word polluting American language.)

1 : one that flees to a place of safety; especially : one who flees to a foreign country or power to escape danger or persecution in his own country or habitual residence because of his race, religion, or political beliefs

2 : one who flees from justice : FUGITIVE

3 : COWBOY 2a :LOL

TOP-CHERRY
09-08-2005, 11:09 AM
"One who flees in search of refuge, as in times of war, political oppression, or religious persecution.
an exile who flees for safety"

This is getting ridiculous.

CharlieMac
09-08-2005, 12:07 PM
It's either refugee or homeless. I'm not going to use a word or a phrase more than three syllables long in a conversation.

The Ressurrected One
09-08-2005, 12:17 PM
It's either refugee or homeless. I'm not going to use a word or a phrase more than three syllables long in a conversation.
I've been calling them evacuees. I started out calling them refugees because, in reality, they were seeking refuge. But, given the sensitivity of the evacuees to being called that, I have no problem calling the evacuees or whatever they want.

I don't see the big issue.

Hook Dem
09-08-2005, 12:19 PM
I've been calling them evacuees. I started out calling them refugees because, in reality, they were seeking refuge. But, given the sensitivity of the evacuees to being called that, I have no problem calling the evacuees or whatever they want.

I don't see the big issue.
It's not a big issue! It's Jesse Jackson stiring up some more shit!

Jelly
09-08-2005, 12:23 PM
I think evacuees is the best word to use. And like Erik refuses to use more than three syllables, I refuse to use more the one word, so Internally Displaced Peeps is out. Sorry Kofi.

MiNuS
09-08-2005, 12:29 PM
my wife saw on a message board where Jackson said the use of the word "refugee" was racist. I'm curious if he meant just the black people or did he mean the white people too?
I just saw "The Day After" on HBO and they used "refugee" for people that moved from the north to Texas and the southern states.
If I away from my element and no house,no ways of supporting my family: I don't give a damn what I get called!
The only thing I know is that if something happenned here in the RGV like what happenned in N.O. I will be heading to San Antonio to LIVE! Beautiful city!

Complete Jackson BS!

SWC Bonfire
09-08-2005, 12:53 PM
The evacuees evacuated when told to do so.

The refugees are seeking refuge elsewhere because they didn't evacuate and are seeking refuge from their flooded city.

CharlieMac
09-08-2005, 02:40 PM
I can do evacuees. If that's what it's going to take to not be called racist.

hussker
09-08-2005, 09:16 PM
We could call them refusees for refusing to leave when they were told to...All those buses underwater in NOLA...Sad

And I think Tom Petty said it best when giving choices in the 70's...See, you don't HAVE to live like a refugee. Again, it's all about choices (and semantics I suppose).

MannyIsGod
09-08-2005, 09:23 PM
Eh, I've been saying evacuees. I thought it was a stupid issue at first too, but someohow calling them refugees didn't seem right.

The Ressurrected One
09-08-2005, 09:25 PM
Eh, I've been saying evacuees. I thought it was a stupid issue at first too, but someohow calling them refugees didn't seem right.
How 'bout, "'mericans in need."

hussker
09-08-2005, 09:26 PM

Conversation = con·ver·sa·tion = 4 syllables

oops

mookie2001
09-08-2005, 09:26 PM
theyre like the opposite of evil-doers

MannyIsGod
09-08-2005, 09:43 PM
How 'bout, "'mericans in need."
Works for me.

The Ressurrected One
09-08-2005, 09:46 PM
too close to "mexicans in need"
So? You got somethin' against either?

The Ressurrected One
09-08-2005, 09:51 PM
i don't want people to get their racial stereotypes confused
I thought the point was to blur such distinctions.

Mixability
09-08-2005, 10:24 PM
i've been calling them survivors.

Vashner
09-08-2005, 10:28 PM
I was calling them "Night of the living dead" hahah ....

Vashner
09-08-2005, 10:34 PM
you racist bitch
It's not racist it was from the Mob scene where Ving and others are holed up in the mall and all the undead are outside...

http://www.empireonline.com.au/images/dvd_pics/dvd11_image.jpg

http://www.videowatchdog.com/home/roundtable/Images/Revival/dopen.jpg