PDA

View Full Version : Off-season thread

Leetonidas
05-03-2015, 12:41 AM
Let's get a thread to discuss potential summers moves now instead of all the whining as the season is over now it's time to look toward the future.

Do the Spurs get a big name FA? Will Manu retire? Thoughts on who we should look at in the draft?

ElNono
05-03-2015, 12:43 AM
what future? dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble ?

Leetonidas
05-03-2015, 12:44 AM
:cry

ElNono
05-03-2015, 12:44 AM
:lol sorry Lee, won't bring it back up

dabom
05-03-2015, 12:45 AM
We need to get LA. Dump tiago and his soft vagina that is not reliable at all for the RS or playoffs and can't play big minutes.

dabom
05-03-2015, 12:45 AM
I want manu to come back.

RD2191
05-03-2015, 12:46 AM
what future? dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble ?
:pctoss

Leetonidas
05-03-2015, 09:03 PM
bump, tbh

Now that everyone has calmed down pls let's talk offseason :cry

RD2191
05-03-2015, 09:10 PM
I think Tim/Manu come back for at least 1 more season. I'm not seeing any major free agent coming here tbh. Hopefully whoever is injured can heal properly and we can have a solid seed going into the playoffs next season.

100%duncan
05-03-2015, 09:11 PM
What's gonna happen IMHO.

1. Manu leaves, I really think he's done.
2. Tim signs for 2 years with a player option in the 2nd year.
3. Spurs max kawhi.
4. We keep Green for 7m a year.
5. Beli leaves cashes in for a bigger contract.
6. Spurs try to lure a big free agent to give Timmy a last shot at a title.

Embedded
05-03-2015, 09:11 PM
dabom, I'm with you. One more ride.

TXstbobcat
05-03-2015, 09:13 PM
Timmy and Manu come back for next year
Leonard gets his max contract
LMA and Gasol both say no to the spurs
Spurs may have to over pay to keep Verde
spurs bring back Cojo and Baynes
Bonner retires
another team overplays for Marco
spurs let Ayers walk

wildchild
05-03-2015, 09:16 PM
About Danny and all Spurs FA.

Then there’s the matter of Danny Green, an unrestricted free agent whose growth, alongside that of Leonard, helped make the Spurs champions once more.
Based on my social media interaction, a decent amount of people seem to think Green will be relatively easy to replace. He won’t.

Sure, he’s got his flaws — one-dimensional on offense, hugely streaky with his shot, prone to mental lapses, not quite a full-fledged defensive stopper. But players who can hit 3-pointers for volume (191, eighth in the NBA) and percentage (41.8, seventh), while playing close to All-NBA caliber defense are at a premium.

Even without the impending cap spike, it didn’t seem out of the question that a team might throw an eight-figure deal at Green that would more than double his current salary. Now, it’s probably a foregone conclusion given that $10 million a year might actually be a bargain in a couple of years.

At that point, the Spurs will have a tough choice to make: Bring back a proven performer at the cost of limiting their free agent options, or let him walk and trust Buford can scrounge up an adequate replacement. (And again, to those who think that’ll be a cinch, look at the mess that was the small forward spot post-Bruce Bowen, before they struck gold with Leonard.)
At least the Spurs have options.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2015/05/03/spurs-face-offseason-of-uncertainty-opportunity/

Robz4000
05-03-2015, 09:16 PM
-Manu retires
-Tim comes back for another season at least
-Kawhi, Green, Baynes, and Harden 2.0 are retained
-Beli, CoJo, and Errors are gone
-Spurs sign a Manu replacement or at least another competent ball-handler/slasher
-Spurs go hard after Aldridge

After that is a crapshoot.

wildchild
05-03-2015, 09:17 PM
Bring back Danny!

ElNono
05-03-2015, 09:23 PM
I can see the Spurs going after somebody like Monta if Manu retires and Green just takes too much money to re-sign.

Other than that, I see Tim returning, and pretty much the same group of guys. Maybe Beli gone. Bonner and Ayres hopefully are gone too.

100%duncan
05-03-2015, 09:25 PM
I can see the Spurs going after somebody like Monta if Manu retires and Green just takes too much money to re-sign.

Other than that, I see Tim returning, and pretty much the same group of guys. Maybe Beli gone. Bonner and Ayres hopefully are gone too.

Monta will demand more money than Green imho. And he's not a good fit, doesn't make sense.

Leetonidas
05-03-2015, 09:25 PM
Anyone with knowledge of the cap and how cap holds work available to give a breakdown of how Spurs can land any max FA?

spurraider21
05-03-2015, 09:26 PM
offseason in May? wtf

100%duncan
05-03-2015, 09:27 PM
Anyone with knowledge of the cap and how cap holds work available to give a breakdown of how Spurs can land any max FA?
Chinook pretty much done it somewhere in the Think Tank and here

RD2191
05-03-2015, 09:27 PM
offseason in May? wtf
I will turn this into a Parker thread.

ElNono
05-03-2015, 09:28 PM
Monta will demand more money than Green imho. And he's not a good fit, doesn't make sense.

I've never been a Monta fan, but you're talking apples and oranges. Monta is a guy that can penetrate at will, kick, finish at the rim. Talent-wise, offensively, there's no comparison.

And if Gino does hangs it up, we're going to need somebody that's enough of an offensive treat so the rest of our role players can contribute.

100%duncan
05-03-2015, 09:29 PM
I've never been a Monta fan, but you're talking apples and oranges. Monta is a guy that can penetrate at will, kick, finish at the rim. Talent-wise, offensively, there's no comparison.

And if Gino does hangs it up, we're going to need somebody that's enough of an offensive treat so the rest of our role players can contribute.

You make a good point but I don't see the sense of not being able to resign green for too much money when Monta will probably demand more.

100%duncan
05-03-2015, 09:29 PM

:lmao :lmao

spurraider21
05-03-2015, 09:34 PM
i never doubted you for a second :lol

you faggot

:wakeup

cjw
05-03-2015, 09:37 PM
-Manu retires
-Tim comes back for another season at least
-Kawhi, Green, Baynes, and Harden 2.0 are retained
-Beli, CoJo, and Errors are gone
-Spurs sign a Manu replacement or at least another competent ball-handler/slasher
-Spurs go hard after Aldridge

After that is a crapshoot.

Aldridge will eat up almost all of their cap space, so going to be very hard to import a Manu replacement along with Aldridge. Perhaps you target a creator out there that you can deal Splitter for and pull the trigger if LMA gives thumbs up.

ElNono
05-03-2015, 09:38 PM
You make a good point but I don't see the sense of not being able to resign green for too much money when Monta will probably demand more.

Because without Gino (and I did point out *if manu retires*) we have 5-6 players that can't play. None of them know how to create their own shot. You don't have a floor general out there anymore.

The thing with Green is that he pretty much is the difference between the Spurs having a max or near-max deal to play with or not (again, if Manu retires and Tim takes whatever is left).

And if Manu is gone, besides paying Danny, they would need to go out there and find some sort of playmaker on top. And whoever that is, can't be expensive, has to be some sort of combo guard, and you probably will be lucky if he gives you the same floor game that Manu did in the last couple years.

So, I think the Spurs will take a hard look at the market before committing to spend a ton on Danny.

Robz4000
05-03-2015, 09:44 PM
Aldridge will eat up almost all of their cap space, so going to be very hard to import a Manu replacement along with Aldridge. Perhaps you target a creator out there that you can deal Splitter for and pull the trigger if LMA gives thumbs up.

There will be plenty of cheap options out there should the Spurs follow this route (Barea, Linsanity, etc), and obviously one of Splitter or Diaw would have to be moved if Aldridge comes in.

cantthinkofanything
05-03-2015, 09:53 PM
Priority one needs to hire an assist coach to work with Parker.

Chinook
05-03-2015, 10:36 PM
I don't get why people keep thinking Green's price tag will affect him being back. Really, the only number that matters is his cap hold. So the Spurs have to make a decision on whether to bring him back or not regardless of contract. Also, the Spurs are a team that's more likely to re-sign their own guys and then try to figure out how to bring in outside players, which is why they were willing to give Tony a max extension instead of seeing what free agency holds.

The Spurs aren't letting Green go for Aldridge, not when Diaw and/or Mills can be dumped for free or even for a return in assets. If the Spurs want LA, it'll be so they can have the most balanced SL in the league, not so they can lose four of their top six perimeter players in one off-season.

ElNono
05-03-2015, 10:51 PM
I don't get why people keep thinking Green's price tag will affect him being back. Really, the only number that matters is his cap hold. So the Spurs have to make a decision on whether to bring him back or not regardless of contract.

I disagree about this, but really, I think it depends on what happens with Manu. I don't think the Spurs want to spend $10m-$12m/year on Danny, and I could see some teams offering him that much.

Especially if Manu retires, in which case I think the Spurs really need to go out on the market and spend money, good money.

I ruled out Aldrige already. We can't afford him, and I'm not that high on him anyways.

Leetonidas
05-03-2015, 11:06 PM
If Spurs were to land a max FA while retaining Green/Duncan/Leonard (assuming Manu retires) would they have to deal Splitter/Diaw/Mills?

Chinook
05-03-2015, 11:11 PM
I disagree about this, but really, I think it depends on what happens with Manu. I don't think the Spurs want to spend $10m-$12m/year on Danny, and I could see some teams offering him that much.

Why not? There's almost no difference between Green getting $12 Million and him getting $7 Million in relation to the team's financial flexibility. So provided the Spurs are being realistic with their offer to Green, there's no reason that he'd price himself out of their range.

I just think it's wrong-headed to think the Spurs would let go of Green, Manu and Beli (who they'd be able to keep under this scenario) in addition to Joseph just so they could pay for Monta Ellis to line up between Tony and Kawhi. They'd be much better off chasing a penetrator with the MLE, through the draft or from a trade. Plus, Anderson is actually a fine penetrator. I think he'd do well in that role.

Chinook
05-03-2015, 11:12 PM
If Spurs were to land a max FA while retaining Green/Duncan/Leonard (assuming Manu retires) would they have to deal Splitter/Diaw/Mills?

Yes. Very much so. Unless they could offload Parker for free, of course.

ElNono
05-03-2015, 11:53 PM
Why not? There's almost no difference between Green getting $12 Million and him getting $7 Million in relation to the team's financial flexibility. So provided the Spurs are being realistic with their offer to Green, there's no reason that he'd price himself out of their range.

Of course there's a difference, and it does have an impact on the team's financial flexibility in the future. I personally would like Danny back, but I also think the Spurs have a value in mind, and I suspect it's different to what you or other teams might think it is.

I just think it's wrong-headed to think the Spurs would let go of Green, Manu and Beli (who they'd be able to keep under this scenario) in addition to Joseph just so they could pay for Monta Ellis to line up between Tony and Kawhi. They'd be much better off chasing a penetrator with the MLE, through the draft or from a trade. Plus, Anderson is actually a fine penetrator. I think he'd do well in that role.

I think they'll already know about Manu by then. As far as Anderson, I don't even know if he's an NBA player yet. If Tim comes back for another rodeo, but Manu isn't, I expect the team to look for a solid reinforcement for the bench.

100%duncan
05-03-2015, 11:55 PM
The 2 roles which should be given attention this summer is: a back-up sf so when Pop sits both DG and kawhi smh and a replacement of the "Manu role" which, if we can get lucky, that back-up sf will provide.

sananspursfan21
05-04-2015, 12:15 AM
The beauty and the reassuring thing about these Spurs is that they have amazing ability to develop talent. Honestly, I don't think Danny Green would be the player he is had anyone else kept him on the team. Look at all these 'scrubby' type players they bring in and they end up being great contributors. I'm comforted in this and I know that they will find some guys to plug-n-play as always :)

kobyz
05-04-2015, 12:26 AM
What about Paul Milsap ?

Matty2Cool
05-04-2015, 03:14 AM
offseason in May? wtf

Feels weird as fuck. I don't even know who I am anymore

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-04-2015, 03:42 AM
This will be the most interesting and eventful offseason in a long time. They didn't extend Kawhi last year when it had already been clear he was a max player, so they must expect to get creative with that cap space even if they don't land a max player.

kobyz
05-04-2015, 03:51 AM
Is this realistic roster for next season?
PG-Parker/Mills/draft
SG-Green/Stucky/Bertans
SF-Laonard/Ginobili/Anderson
PF-Milsap/Diaw/Jean-Charles
C-Duncan/Splitter/draft

szkorhetz
05-04-2015, 04:07 AM
Ricky Ledo anyone?
Long, athletic and can shoot.

mudyez
05-04-2015, 05:16 AM
I don't see us getting a big name FA.

Best case scenario imo is:

Bringing back Duncan (please Tim!!!), Leonard, Green, Diaw, Baynes, CoJo (yeah cojo is unrealistic and probably he deserves an bigger gick on another team) and even Manu (hopefully he is willing to come back for something like a 5mio/deal that only has him playing like half the season+playoffs).

Let the rest walk (Beli, Bonner, Errors, Williams).

Bring over Ledo and draft someone.

So basically keeping the band together in hope of TP9 having a better year (not sure if realistic). It's not like we where that far off...Most experts had us at the second best contender.

jjktkk
05-04-2015, 08:42 AM

The problem with this, is you're giving up size. Green can and Manu can guard the 2, and 3. Ellis is too small to guard the 3 imo.

Dex
05-04-2015, 08:45 AM
Monday morning. No Spurs game to watch tonight. Reality of the situation is sinking in.

Holy shit, this is going to be a long offseason.

AFBlue
05-04-2015, 09:22 AM
I don't get why people keep thinking Green's price tag will affect him being back. Really, the only number that matters is his cap hold. So the Spurs have to make a decision on whether to bring him back or not regardless of contract. Also, the Spurs are a team that's more likely to re-sign their own guys and then try to figure out how to bring in outside players, which is why they were willing to give Tony a max extension instead of seeing what free agency holds.

The Spurs aren't letting Green go for Aldridge, not when Diaw and/or Mills can be dumped for free or even for a return in assets. If the Spurs want LA, it'll be so they can have the most balanced SL in the league, not so they can lose four of their top six perimeter players in one off-season.

The only number that matters is the cap hold...until he signs. If a team is aggressive in their pursuit of Green, it may force the FO's hand early in the process. Once he's signed at a number higher than his cap hold, the Spurs lose that cap flexibility right? There is an "order of operations" thing that could play out where the Spurs lose the ability to max another player, unless I'm mistaken.

I get that there are other pieces to the puzzle, but the contract situation with Danny is a pretty big one.

Chinook
05-04-2015, 09:53 AM
Of course there's a difference, and it does have an impact on the team's financial flexibility in the future. I personally would like Danny back, but I also think the Spurs have a value in mind, and I suspect it's different to what you or other teams might think it is.

C'mon Nono, that's deflection. The Spurs aren't going to not re-sign Green because he may make $3 Million more in 2017 than they think he's worth. Especially if Tim comes back, the Spurs will try to build the best team they can and let the chips fall where they may for the future. Obviously, with the cap going up, no one's pinching pennies beyond this off-season as it is. None of that negates the fact that you think there's a value where Green's not worth it, that you're entitled to that opinion and that the Spurs may share that opinion. But there's simply no roster-financial reason why the Spurs care how much it takes to re-sign Green if they are willing to work with his cap hold. And they certainly won't shunt his cap hold for Monta Ellis.

I think they'll already know about Manu by then. As far as Anderson, I don't even know if he's an NBA player yet. If Tim comes back for another rodeo, but Manu isn't, I expect the team to look for a solid reinforcement for the bench.

Sure, but that's irrelevant, because we're assuming in this case that Manu doesn't come back (based on the hypotheticals you established with earlier posts). That's the whole reason why you think the Spurs would sacrifice Green, since a bench creator would be more pressing in your mind. But the Spurs have never been a team that sacrifices for the sake of roster needs. They rolled with holes at starting wings and at backup PG for years. Especially when the team has so many alternative avenues to acquire talent, it simply doesn't make sense to wreck the SL trying to fix the bench.

As far as Anderson goes, the thing I have the most faith in his ability to drive out of all of his skills. If he gets into a position where he has to be the bench's playmaker. He'll be in the paint as much as anyone can hope for.

K...
05-04-2015, 10:02 AM
The only number that matters is the cap hold...until he signs. If a team is aggressive in their pursuit of Green, it may force the FO's hand early in the process. Once he's signed at a number higher than his cap hold, the Spurs lose that cap flexibility right? There is an "order of operations" thing that could play out where the Spurs lose the ability to max another player, unless I'm mistaken.

I get that there are other pieces to the puzzle, but the contract situation with Danny is a pretty big one.

How would another team force the spurs hand? It's green (and agent) who control the contract. Other teams who want green will prefer he not drag his contract negotiations out, but I assume we've built up goodwill with green that he won't leave immediately. So, the spirit of your statement is probably correct but the mechanism for operation is wrong.

Chinook
05-04-2015, 10:10 AM

If a team offers Green X amount of money, and the Spurs say "We'll match it", then there's no reason to dive on the contract immediately. This is especially true in the NBA, where there is a 10-day waiting period for teams and players to discuss contracts without any pens being allowed to go to paper. I expect the Spurs to know the bulk of their acquisitions before that period ends.

Agloco
05-04-2015, 10:54 AM

No thanks.

Leetonidas
05-04-2015, 11:11 AM
If Manu retires I think retaining Beli is a must, tbh.

coachmac87
05-04-2015, 11:38 AM
If Manu retires..Spurs need to go get George Hill..he would be a good fit next to Patty

Chinook
05-04-2015, 11:41 AM
If Manu retires..Spurs need to go get George Hill..he would be a good fit next to Patty

It's really not the worst idea in the world. The dude can get his own shot on offense and defend at an above-average level. But I'd only take him in a trade while the team remains over the cap.

Mugen
05-04-2015, 11:44 AM
I personally think CoJo could handle the backup 2 spot if necessary. Patty can play off the ball and Joseph is big enough to guard 2 guards. he can also get to the paint, much like old Manu tbh.

heyheymymy
05-04-2015, 12:34 PM
Monday morning. No Spurs game to watch tonight. Reality of the situation is sinking in.

Fuck I wanted to see 16 red X's again this year.

heyheymymy
05-04-2015, 12:37 PM
What are the more realistic mid-range FA's that we could pull in?

cjw
05-04-2015, 01:59 PM
Really, the only number that matters is his cap hold.

...not when Diaw and/or Mills can be dumped for free or even for a return in assets

Exactly right. Only other risk is if Green gets a ridiculous offer while waiting for the dominoes to fall, but chances are Green deal is worked out and ready to sign as soon as cap space is ready to be used.

Given the rising cap, I would be in favor of a Splitter-like contract for Green where it's front-loaded. Would give max flexibility when Duncan is certainly back in the USVI.

And you're right on the price for LMA. Splitter, Mills or Diaw would likely have to be shipped out, but it's totally doable. I imagine it'll be one of the bigs, as they can't lose Mills if Manu/Marco/CoJo are already gone and that's assuming Green stays.

BatManu20
05-04-2015, 02:03 PM

:lol your avi

BatManu20
05-04-2015, 02:05 PM
“It hasn't sunk in yet, but this is a special group,” Green said. “That's why it sucks so bad, especially for Timmy (Duncan) and Manu (Ginobili). We had anopportunity to do something special for them. All I can do is hope and pray for another group like that in the future, but I have a feeling some of those guys will be back. R.C. and Pop do a great job of bringing in new guys.”

“Hopefully, I'll be back,” he said. “I love San Antonio. The fans have alwayssupported us, from day one. It sucks that we had such a special group, and things may be changing and not be the same again.”

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25173611/spurs-danny-green-things-may-be-changing-and-not-be-the-same-again

ElNono
05-04-2015, 02:13 PM
C'mon Nono, that's deflection. The Spurs aren't going to not re-sign Green because he may make $3 Million more in 2017 than they think he's worth. Especially if Tim comes back, the Spurs will try to build the best team they can and let the chips fall where they may for the future. Obviously, with the cap going up, no one's pinching pennies beyond this off-season as it is. None of that negates the fact that you think there's a value where Green's not worth it, that you're entitled to that opinion and that the Spurs may share that opinion. But there's simply no roster-financial reason why the Spurs care how much it takes to re-sign Green if they are willing to work with his cap hold. And they certainly won't shunt his cap hold for Monta Ellis.

I could be completely off-base too, tbh... that's always a possibility. I just think the Spurs will not enter a bidding war for Danny's services. If they have to go that route, I suspect they'll take a good look at the market as a whole.

Sure, but that's irrelevant, because we're assuming in this case that Manu doesn't come back (based on the hypotheticals you established with earlier posts). That's the whole reason why you think the Spurs would sacrifice Green, since a bench creator would be more pressing in your mind. But the Spurs have never been a team that sacrifices for the sake of roster needs. They rolled with holes at starting wings and at backup PG for years. Especially when the team has so many alternative avenues to acquire talent, it simply doesn't make sense to wreck the SL trying to fix the bench.

I just think it's way more plausible that the Spurs look to make a splash using money that would potentially go to Green (since he's off the books, or technically is), rather than signing Green, then trying to dump Mills/Diaw/Splitter to make room. I'm actually not convinced at all the FO likes Green more than any of those 3 guys. But that's just me.

As far as Anderson goes, the thing I have the most faith in his ability to drive out of all of his skills. If he gets into a position where he has to be the bench's playmaker. He'll be in the paint as much as anyone can hope for.

Right now, I see him strictly as a backup SF.

ElNono
05-04-2015, 02:15 PM

That's the kind of mold I think they'll be looking at. A combo guard that can penetrate and dish, but also get his own shot...

Mugen
05-04-2015, 02:15 PM
That's the kind of mold I think they'll be looking at. A combo guard that can penetrate and dish, but also get his own shot...

So CoJo....

ElNono
05-04-2015, 02:17 PM
So CoJo....

I'd like somebody a bit more seasoned and consistent than Cojo... Basically, "Cojo in a good day", but all the time...

BatManu20
05-04-2015, 02:19 PM
2 teams expected to show a lot if interest in Danny Green are OKC and the Knicks, according to twitter.

Mugen
05-04-2015, 02:19 PM
I'd like somebody a bit more seasoned and consistent than Cojo... Basically, "Cojo in a good day", but all the time...

CoJo will be in his 5th year next season....5 years in the Spurs system and will probably considerably cheaper than anybody they bring in....

He did really well when he didn't defer to Manu. Won't have that issue if Gino hangs em up tbh

ElNono
05-04-2015, 02:21 PM
CoJo will be in his 5th year next season....5 years in the Spurs system and will probably considerably cheaper than anybody they bring in....

He did really well when he didn't defer to Manu. Won't have that issue if Gino hangs em up tbh

Don't forget Cojo is a RFA too... we'll see what kind of offers he receives too, and how much are the Spurs willing to match...

coachmac87
05-04-2015, 02:22 PM
2 teams expected to show a lot if interest in Danny Green are OKC and the Knicks, according to twitter.

OKC came to my mind and would be perfect fit...that shit better not happen

Mugen
05-04-2015, 02:22 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if CoJo still plays in Texas next season, but not as a Spur tbh.

Mugen
05-04-2015, 02:23 PM
I don't think OKC is much of a threat. The Knicks are his home team and are gonna throw a stupid amount of money at him tho....

ElNono
05-04-2015, 03:06 PM
Welp, just heard Pop say that he thinks the team will look substantially different next year. That they picked this year to have a lot of FA to be able to retool.

So I guess it will be an interesting summer after all...

Mugen
05-04-2015, 03:16 PM
Welp, just heard Pop say that he thinks the team will look substantially different next year. That they picked this year to have a lot of FA to be able to retool.

Good. They need a shakeup.

Ditty
05-04-2015, 03:22 PM
I can see Green bolting for NY as I think they will give him close to $10 million a year imo. Ultimately I think he stays for about $6-7 million a year for three years. He seems to love it here in SA, and I believe his girlfriend is from here also, so that may help.

timtonymanu
05-04-2015, 03:27 PM
Bring back Duncan, Leonard, and LDN.

Mugen
05-04-2015, 03:35 PM
I can see Green bolting for NY as I think they will give him close to $10 million a year imo. Ultimately I think he stays for about $6-7 million a year for three years. He seems to love it here in SA, and I believe his girlfriend is from here also, so that may help.

Danny will make at least 10mil/year next season. I don't think that's even questionable tbh.

loveforthegame
05-04-2015, 03:41 PM

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2015/05/04/one-last-qa-with-gregg-popovich/#32561101=0

Here's the quote. Definitely sounds like things will be different. Good. I think they need to get rid of dead weight and inject some fresh blood. It's always a gamble but it's time.

“We haven’t talked yet about that. We’ve got a pretty good number of free agents so with R.C. and the coaches and the group we’ve talked about what we want to do going forward with the makeup of the team but the team will probably look considerably different than it looks this year because we have so many free agents and we want to re-tool a little bit.

"We want to try to start — not exactly over again — but these last four seasons have been a grind and we put the team together with that in mind, that this year we’d have all the free agents so we can decide what we want to do moving forward, as far as the makeup of the team. So we’ll spend a lot of time on that but as far as if guys are retiring or not we haven’t touched that."

Robz4000
05-04-2015, 03:44 PM
Fuck, from the sound of it Duncan may call it quits after all. Makes me a bit worried that Green may not be back either.

Vito Corleone
05-04-2015, 04:03 PM
I think we should just draft someone as good as Kawahi to replace Manu and be our starting 2 guard for the next 15 years.

Robz4000
05-04-2015, 04:06 PM
I think we should just draft someone as good as Kawahi to replace Manu and be our starting 2 guard for the next 15 years.

Fuck that, lets draft someone as good as Tim in the draft to be the franchise the next 19 seasons.

BatManu20
05-04-2015, 04:22 PM
I know some people were intrigued by the idea of Barea on the Spurs.

baseline bum
05-04-2015, 04:27 PM

And who can't guard screens for shit. No thanks on Hill at $8 million a year when his defense is as bad as Porker's.

baseline bum
05-04-2015, 04:29 PM

I hope that's Pop code for "Fuck Tony Parker, we're salary dumping his ass"

Mugen
05-04-2015, 04:33 PM
Fuck, from the sound of it Duncan may call it quits after all. Makes me a bit worried that Green may not be back either.

:lol I don't think that had to do with Timmy, Robz.

Mugen
05-04-2015, 04:34 PM
I hope that's Pop code for "Fuck Tony Parker, we're salary dumping his ass"

It sucks that RC isn't buddy-buddy with Fredo or Phil. The Knicks and Lakers are perfect landing spots for the Baconator tbh.

Robz4000
05-04-2015, 04:36 PM
:lol I don't think that had to do with Timmy, Robz.

At this point they wouldn't be talking about "substantial changes" with Tim coming back another year or two. Remember, this team is greater than the sum of its parts, so taking away half of them and putting in new ones will take time to adjust to. Can't see this team doing anything that significant unless it meant Duncan was calling it quits.

Mugen
05-04-2015, 04:37 PM
At this point they wouldn't be talking about "substantial changes" with Tim coming back another year or two. Remember, this team is greater than the sum of its parts, so taking away half of them and putting in new ones will take time to adjust to. Can't see this team doing anything that significant unless it meant Duncan was calling it quits.

Manu retiring would be pretty significant tbh

Robz4000
05-04-2015, 04:47 PM
Manu retiring would be pretty significant tbh

Derp, forgot about Manu. At this point he's already retired in my mind.

tholdren
05-04-2015, 04:50 PM
Who would want splitter?

tholdren
05-04-2015, 04:52 PM
Danny will make at least 10mil/year next season. I don't think that's even questionable tbh. Not from sa

Keepin' it real
05-04-2015, 04:54 PM

I think when Pop said they are starting "not exactly over again", that was in reference to Tim not retiring. Because if Tim retired, regardless of everything else, that would really be starting over.

I'm thinking Manu and Bonner retire, and Marco, Cory, Baynes, Ayres and Reggie Williams all leave.

That's roughly half the team, so yeah, not exactly starting over, but pretty close. It will be fun to root for a new-look team.

RD2191
05-04-2015, 04:56 PM

I'm sad. Did you get better?

Mikeanaro
05-04-2015, 05:03 PM
Danny will make at least 10mil/year next season. I don't think that's even questionable tbh.
Selling nuclear weapons maybe but not playing basketball.

ElNono
05-04-2015, 05:16 PM
I'm sad. Did you get better?

yeah, I'm fine...

ElNono
05-04-2015, 05:17 PM
And who can't guard screens for shit. No thanks on Hill at $8 million a year when his defense is as bad as Porker's.

It's ok, it's just off the bench. Plus we're screwed with Fatso anyways.

Mr Bones
05-04-2015, 05:19 PM

Cojo is still only 23, and I think he's similar to George Hill, who had his best season last year at 29 yrs old. I hope they bring him back and he spends the entire off season working on ball handling. With Parker aging and in decline, I think the Spurs need Cojo and Mills to average over 20 mpg next year...

Malik Hairston
05-04-2015, 05:20 PM
Joseph has the tools to become a key player, as we saw in November/December when he stepped up with all the injuries, but there's no denying that he's just a completely different player when he's out there with Manu and/or Parker IMO..his confidence level completely disappears for whatever reason, I guess fear of messing up..

When he's afraid to drive and/or shoot, it hinders and stalls the offense, kills spacing..you can't be a defensive specialist that doesn't play offense in today's game, especially at his position..

With Manu's impending retirement, maybe Joseph realizes what he could be for this team, assuming he stays..

ElNono
05-04-2015, 05:24 PM
Cojo is still only 23, and I think he's similar to George Hill, who had his best season last year at 29 yrs old. I hope they bring him back and he spends the entire off season working on ball handling. With Parker aging and in decline, I think the Spurs need Cojo and Mills to average over 20 mpg next year...

That's cool, but if Tim is coming back, I'd like somebody more consistent to handle the bench, not experimenting, tbh... Cojo is ok if you're building for the next 3-4 years, but if we're going to try to contend against next season, I think the Spurs would be better served with a more seasoned player.

baseline bum
05-04-2015, 05:28 PM

The Spurs bringing Joseph back will have meant they completely struck out in free agency.

baseline bum
05-04-2015, 05:30 PM
It's ok, it's just off the bench. Plus we're screwed with Fatso anyways.

They'd have to trade Diaw, Splitter, or sign and trade Green to get that no defense playing faggot. I'll pass. Let Indiana keep their fuck up tbh.

ElNono
05-04-2015, 05:32 PM
They'd have to trade Diaw, Splitter, or sign and trade Green to get that no defense playing faggot. I'll pass. Let Indiana keep their fuck up tbh.

I gotta take a look at the available FAs in the SG/PG position, tbh... I suspect that if Manu hangs em up, they'll be looking for something there...

Mr Bones
05-04-2015, 05:42 PM
The Spurs bringing Joseph back will have meant they completely struck out in free agency.

I see the Spurs getting a few role playing FAs this summer-- guys like Jerebko, Brandan Wright, Jared Dudley-- rather than one bigger named star.

Mugen
05-04-2015, 05:47 PM
:lol God I can't believe we're gonna be paying Porky 15mil a season tbh

BatManu20
05-04-2015, 06:03 PM

For 3 more years... :lol just an insanely bad contract right now, tbh. Up there with Joe Johnson's and Roy Hibbert's imo. (Although Johnson's is still worse).

timtonymanu
05-04-2015, 06:06 PM

:lol Yep, sucks looking at potential free agent targets, thinking about what to pay Duncan/Leonard/Green to come back, retooling. Then you realize Porker has a 45 million extension killing the retool process. :lol

baseline bum
05-04-2015, 06:08 PM
I see the Spurs getting a few role playing FAs this summer-- guys like Jerebko, Brandan Wright, Jared Dudley-- rather than one bigger named star.

Jared Dudley? That guy's a faggot who was the Clippers' version of Paul Pressey. Spurs are fucked if that's the kind of crap they sign. :lol

timtonymanu
05-04-2015, 06:11 PM
Jared Dudley? That guy's a faggot who was the Clippers' version of Paul Pressey. Spurs are fucked if that's the kind of crap they sign. :lol

:lol I would rather have Marco be the permanent backup SF before having Dudley in a Spurs jersey.

05-04-2015, 06:11 PM
So anyone have a good breakdown of the salary situation for the offseason? Like who's on contract, what the cap holds are, Leonard's inevitable max contract, estimated salary cap, etc.

BatManu20
05-04-2015, 06:13 PM
Jared Dudley's one of the best 3-point shooters in the league, especially from the corner, but he's a major - on defense.. And if he's our only acquisition, we'll be bounced in the first or second round next year.

baseline bum
05-04-2015, 06:17 PM
Jared Dudley's one of the best 3-point shooters in the league, especially from the corner, but he's a major - on defense.. And if he's our only acquisition, we'll be bounced in the first or second round next year.

The Clippers had one of the weakest SG/SF rotations in the league and he was so shitty even garbage like Danny Granger was getting minutes ahead of him. Dudley got overhyped for putting up so-so numbers on weak Suns teams.

Malik Hairston
05-04-2015, 06:44 PM
The Clippers had one of the weakest SG/SF rotations in the league and he was so shitty even garbage like Danny Granger was getting minutes ahead of him. Dudley got overhyped for putting up so-so numbers on weak Suns teams.

He was pretty good for the Bucks late in the year and had a mini-resurgence, but ya, he's not good enough to get excited for IMO..

TD 21
05-04-2015, 07:17 PM
Locks and near locks to return: Duncan, Parker, Leonard, Splitter, Mills and Anderson

Likely to return: Green

50/50 to return: Ginobili, Diaw, Joseph and Baynes

Unlikely to return: Belinelli, Ayres

Locks and near locks to not return: Bonner, Williams

- Green probably only won't if he get's an astronomical offer.

- Diaw is the most likely core player to be traded if Aldridge signs. Splitter is younger and plays a position far more difficult to fill. Speaking of which, Aldridge would obviously be the positional replacement for Diaw.

- Joseph and Baynes probably return if Aldridge doesn't sign and vice versa. Having quality third PG and C options isn't a luxury a team heavily financially invested in the top end can afford.

- Belinelli has made it clear it'll be more about the money this time. The only scenario I could envision him returning in, is if Aldridge doesn't sign and Ginobili retires. The only scenario I could envision Ayres returning in, is if Aldridge does sign.

- Bonner, I could only see returning if Aldridge signs and Diaw is traded without a cheaper stretch four coming back, as they'd need one for the minimum in that scenario.

Ideal roster next season:

Aldridge/Scott/Jean-Charles
Leonard/Anderson
Duncan/Splitter
Green/Ginobili
Parker/Mills

Whichever of 3rd C, 4th-6th wing and 3rd PG, is not filled in the draft, they'll need to sign, with only the minimum at their disposal.

Baynes replacement: Ayres. Similar players, knows the system, good teammate.

Belinelli replacement: Jenkins. Very good shooter, not good or established enough to block Anderson from being in the rotation, should he prove ready.

Williams replacement: This spot could be left open for financial/flexibility reasons. If not, Gee makes sense as a third wing defender, or Franklin if he's waived at some point.

Joseph replacement: Can't come up with a specific name, but someone in his mold makes sense.

coachmac87
05-04-2015, 07:23 PM
Locks and near locks to return: Duncan, Parker, Leonard, Splitter, Mills and Anderson

Likely to return: Green

50/50 to return: Ginobili, Diaw, Joseph and Baynes

Unlikely to return: Belinelli, Ayres

Locks and near locks to not return: Bonner, Williams

- Green probably only won't if he get's an astronomical offer.

- Diaw is the most likely core player to be traded if Aldridge signs. Splitter is younger and plays a position far more difficult to fill. Speaking of which, Aldridge would obviously be the positional replacement for Diaw.

- Joseph and Baynes probably return if Aldridge doesn't sign and vice versa. Having quality third PG and C options isn't a luxury a team heavily financially invested in the top end can afford.

- Belinelli has made it clear it'll be more about the money this time. The only scenario I could envision him returning in, is if Aldridge doesn't sign and Ginobili retires. The only scenario I could envision Ayres returning in, is if Aldridge does sign.

- Bonner, I could only see returning if Aldridge signs and Diaw is traded without a cheaper stretch four coming back, as they'd need one for the minimum in that scenario.

Ideal roster next season:

Aldridge/Scott/Jean-Charles
Leonard/Anderson
Duncan/Splitter
Green/Ginobili
Parker/Mills

Whichever of 3rd C, 4th-6th wing and 3rd PG, is not filled in the draft, they'll need to sign, with only the minimum at their disposal.

Baynes replacement: Ayres. Similar players, knows the system, good teammate.

Belinelli replacement: Jenkins. Very good shooter, not good or established enough to block Anderson from being in the rotation, should he prove ready.

Williams replacement: This spot could be left open for financial/flexibility reasons. If not, Gee makes sense as a third wing defender, or Franklin if he's waived at some point.

Joseph replacement: Can't come up with a specific name, but someone in his mold makes sense.

Now I would like for you to explain all of those players fitting under the cap....Especially Duncan,Manu,Kawhi, and Green lol your "Ideal" roster is literally impossible

tholdren
05-04-2015, 07:24 PM
Some of this, I agree with, but the KA getting playing time wont happen. I also think Baynes leaves after his "we needed a tough guy and you let matt barnes throw you out of a series" game 1. Manu will retire. I think Bonner and Ayers should get the boot, but since it hasnt happened, I dont see why it would now. No way we get rid of Boris, and keep tiago.

Tyrone Jenkins
05-04-2015, 07:25 PM
[QUOTE=wildchild;7991591]About Danny and all Spurs FA.

/QUOTE]

Let Danny walk. Sign Khris Middleton

coachmac87
05-04-2015, 07:27 PM

/QUOTE]

This

TD 21
05-04-2015, 07:30 PM
Now I would like for you to explain all of those players fitting under the cap....Especially Duncan,Manu,Kawhi, and Green lol your "Ideal" roster is literally impossible

It's real simple: They pay Duncan and Ginobili their worth under the table.

Does anybody actually think that, if Aldridge wants to sign with them, they're going to turn him down in order for Duncan and Ginobili to have a representative salary on a cap sheet? Or that they're going to disrespect those two by offering them whatever is left (whether it be the mini mid level or the veteran's minimum) after he signs? They can have their cake and eat it too.

The Mavs did it last year with Nowitzki and the Nets did it two years ago with Kirilenko.

coachmac87
05-04-2015, 07:34 PM
It's real simple: They pay Duncan and Ginobili their worth under the table.

Does anybody actually think that, if Aldridge wants to sign with them, they're going to turn him down in order for Duncan and Ginobili to have a representative salary on a cap sheet? Or that they're going to disrespect those two by offering them whatever his left (whether it be the mini mid level or the veteran's minimum) after he signs? They can have their cake and eat it too.

Spurs ask if they can pursue Aldridge and if they got him would they be willing to play for a certain salary. I can see Duncan or Ginobili taking the MLE?? I honestly think Manu is retiring and it'll probably be up to Duncan on what he wants. I also maybe them keeping Diaw and doing the sign and trade with Splitter and Portland....

Shooting guard is the biggest question on this team.

TD 21
05-04-2015, 07:43 PM
Spurs ask if they can pursue Aldridge and if they got him would they be willing to play for a certain salary. I can see Duncan or Ginobili taking the MLE?? I honestly think Manu is retiring and it'll probably be up to Duncan on what he wants. I also maybe them keeping Diaw and doing the sign and trade with Splitter and Portland....

Shooting guard is the biggest question on this team.

Sure, they could try to get him to work with him, but if he doesn't bite, then what?

Ginobili might very well retire and if he does, then it's only Duncan they'd have to do this with.

Why would you keep Diaw and trade Splitter? There's no means with which to find a starting center in a year, when Duncan is likely to retire. Despite being 6-11 268, Aldridge's game is clearly more suited to playing power forward and he hates playing center.

It is, which is part of why Green needs to be re-signed, whether Aldridge signs or not.

coachmac87
05-04-2015, 07:55 PM
Sure, they could try to get him to work with him, but if he doesn't bite, then what?

Ginobili might very well retire and if he does, then it's only Duncan they'd have to do this with.

Why would you keep Diaw and trade Splitter? There's no means with which to find a starting center in a year, when Duncan is likely to retire. Despite being 6-11 268, Aldridge's game is clearly more suited to playing power forward and he hates playing center.

It is, which is part of why Green needs to be re-signed, whether Aldridge signs or not.

Baynes? You keep Diaw strictly due to salary this season. Especially if Duncan and Manu come back....I get me a starting center the year Duncan retires.

Malik Hairston
05-04-2015, 07:59 PM

/QUOTE]

:lol if the Spurs don't want to pay Green 8-9 mil, they aren't going to pay Middleton, the Bucks are going to give him near-max, probably..that's Aldridge money..

Splits
05-04-2015, 08:08 PM
Scola is a free agent...

tholdren
05-04-2015, 08:09 PM
Scola is a free agent...
8 years too late

Mr Bones
05-04-2015, 08:37 PM

He actually had a very good year defensively: http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/DRPM/position/5

http://www.vantagesports.com/story/VKc8pSUAACUAEO2V/jared-dudley-revived-in-milwaukee-for-disruptive-defense

Clipper Nation
05-04-2015, 08:46 PM
Take it from someone who had to watch that faggot Dudley play - he's a fat cancer. Even worse, he shows up obese to every season because of his nonexistent work ethic, then blames the training staff and coach for his fatness.

heyheymymy
05-04-2015, 08:47 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if CoJo still plays in Texas next season, but not as a Spur tbh.

Dallas needs some PG depth, actually so does HOU even with Bev returning. Good point.

RD2191
05-04-2015, 09:13 PM
LMA would be nice but how dedicated is he to winning? He had a terrible series against the Grizz and just seemed like he didn't give a shit. Do the Spurs want a player like that?

Malik Hairston
05-04-2015, 09:30 PM
That Parker contract is so painful, especially when you see Pablo Prigioni giving similar impact for the minimum:lol..

Robz4000
05-04-2015, 09:32 PM
Scola is a free agent...

Its time to rectify a past mistake. SCOLA FOR THE MAX!

baseline bum
05-04-2015, 09:38 PM
That Parker contract is so painful, especially when you see Pablo Prigioni giving similar impact for the minimum:lol..

I haven't been watching, did Prigioni just miss two layups and a wide open three on the baseline?

Juggity
05-04-2015, 10:02 PM
I'm not very knowledgable on the topic of signing/salary cap issues, but just out of curiosity are there any actual solutions to the Tony Parker salary issue other than hoping he plays better next season and justifies the contract? I mean, the spurs aren't going to get rid of a guy who's been with the team for 14 years and whose jersey will be in the rafters soon, and who has said he'll be retiring in San Antonio. Can anything be done to alleviate the pain of that contract in the short term, or are they just going to have to work around it when trying to sign free agents this summer?

ElNono
05-04-2015, 10:04 PM
I'm not very knowledgable on the topic of signing/salary cap issues, but just out of curiosity are there any actual solutions to the Tony Parker salary issue other than hoping he plays better next season and justifies the contract?

no

Juggity
05-04-2015, 10:06 PM
no

:lol shit

Mugen
05-04-2015, 10:09 PM
I'm not very knowledgable on the topic of signing/salary cap issues, but just out of curiosity are there any actual solutions to the Tony Parker salary issue other than hoping he plays better next season and justifies the contract? I mean, the spurs aren't going to get rid of a guy who's been with the team for 14 years and whose jersey will be in the rafters soon, and who has said he'll be retiring in San Antonio. Can anything be done to alleviate the pain of that contract in the short term, or are they just going to have to work around it when trying to sign free agents this summer?

Hope there's a lockout after next season and the amnesty clause is re-introduced tbh.

Robz4000
05-05-2015, 12:16 AM
Man, even Inside the NBA talking about the Spurs going after LMA. Could this shit really happen"

ducks
05-05-2015, 12:23 AM
I think getting alridge or another big fa is the only reason Duncan comes back

Robz4000
05-05-2015, 12:32 AM
Might as well share this in here:

http://www.sportstwo.com/threads/and-here-i-thought-i-some-of-us-are-over-reactors.283782/

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-05-2015, 12:34 AM
Duncan is definitely coming back, otherwise Pop wouldn't be talking about retooling, but about blowing it up. Besides, top 10-15 players, not named Michael Jordan, don't retire. The roster turnover would likely be at least 5 players, that's quite a lot. It'd be very difficult to change half the team and still have the chemistry to contend right away, but you know they'll want to do their best to be in a position to contend because of Duncan, so they'll need to be very creative this summer.

BatManu20
05-05-2015, 12:42 AM

http://www.sportstwo.com/threads/and-here-i-thought-i-some-of-us-are-over-reactors.283782/

This guy pretty much nails it on the head though...

Man I would kill people to have it as good as the Spurs fans. Hell, even 1 title would last me a lifetime of fandom! Spoiled...

magnifier661 (http://www.sportstwo.com/members/magnifier661.22278/), Today at 11:08 AM (http://www.sportstwo.com/posts/3619356/)
#10 (http://www.sportstwo.com/posts/3619356/)

Robz4000
05-05-2015, 12:45 AM
He's one of the better fans over there, though last year he told me Splitter would be destroyed by LMA and Duncan was the only one who could guard him :lol...

loveforthegame
05-05-2015, 09:10 AM
Marc Stein's 5 burning questions for what's next for the Spurs. Nothing we haven't discussed here really. But I'll post the Splitter part.

http://espn.go.com/blog/marc-stein/post/_/id/3816/summer-scoop-san-antonio-spurs

The working assumption nonetheless persists that the Spurs, with maestro executive R.C. Buford as their offseason point man, will manufacture at least $20 million in salary-cap space this summer to go after Aldridge -- or Memphis' Marc Gasol -- even if Leonard is maxed and Duncan returns.

How?

One scenario on the personnel grapevine gaining steam is the notion that the Spurs could elect to explore the possibility of dealing away Tiago Splitter to create more financial flexibility. Splitter has two years left on his contract valued at just under $17 million and is quietly regarded as a key contributor in San Antonio given how well he fits as a frontcourt sidekick next to Duncan. But if you're the Spurs -- and if the increasingly loud rumbles about Aldridge having San Antonio as the preferred destination atop his wish list prove true -- examining Splitter's trade market might suddenly become unavoidable.

Chinook
05-05-2015, 12:03 PM
The thing is, getting Aldridge only really makes sense in the context of an Aldridge/Splitter front court. Even though Tim/LA can work for a year, there'd be no way to improve next season.

The only advantage to a direct trade of Splitter for Aldridge is that it could be manipulated into a S&T, which would allow the Spurs to stay over the cap.

Maybe Splitter, Mills, Anderson and some picks for Aldridge? Then, the Spurs can get the best fourth big they can with the MLE (O'Quinn) and the LLE on a guard (Neal?), while re-signing /S&Ting Joseph and Baynes. They could pay Tim/Manu whatever they want, and they can make a competitive offer to Beli while also bringing over some stashed guys.

RD2191
05-05-2015, 12:05 PM
The thing is, getting Aldridge only really makes sense in the context of an Aldridge/Splitter front court. Even though Tim/LA can work for a year, there'd be no way to improve next season.

The only advantage to a direct trade of Splitter for Aldridge is that it could be manipulated into a S&T, which would allow the Spurs to stay over the cap.

Maybe Splitter, Mills, Anderson and some picks for Aldridge? Then, the Spurs can get the best fourth big they can with the MLE (O'Quinn) and the LLE on a guard (Neal?), while re-signing /S&Ting Joseph and Baynes. They could pay Tim/Manu whatever they want, and they can make a competitive offer to Beli while also bringing over some stashed guys.
Exactly.

Mikeanaro
05-05-2015, 12:07 PM
Tiago needs to go, Spurs did a great job developing the guy but there is a limit and we need new blood, Im not saying he is old btw.

Leetonidas
05-05-2015, 12:11 PM
If Spurs get Aldridge it will certainly mean losing Splitter but what do y'all think of trying to snag Kosta Kofous to replace him tbh? Not a huge obviously, but how much would he command this summer, iyo?

Leetonidas
05-05-2015, 12:15 PM
Asik, Brandon Wright, Robin Lopez, Jeberko, and Stoudemire also are available this summer, though none of them sound particularly enticing.

It's too bad Spurs can't get rid of Parker. I would much rather have a Dragic and Tyson Chadler combo

Chinook
05-05-2015, 12:16 PM
If Spurs get Aldridge it will certainly mean losing Splitter but what do y'all think of trying to snag Kosta Kofous to replace him tbh? Not a huge obviously, but how much would he command this summer, iyo?

What Splitter is getting. And, no, by no means is it a Splitter/Aldridge dilemma. If Duncan doesn't return, then there's no way the Spurs trade Splitter. Diaw seems like he'd be easier to move, anyway, seeing as his deal only have $3 Million or so more guaranteed after this season.

BatManu20
05-05-2015, 12:20 PM
Parker has a no-trade clause in his extension. Get on the phone with the Rockets. Morey miiight just be dumb enough to make a trade. They need a PG badly. (never happening, I know)

Mugen
05-05-2015, 12:31 PM
Parker has a no-trade clause in his extension. Get on the phone with the Rockets. Morey miiight just be dumb enough to make a trade. They need a PG badly. (never happening, I know)

:lol They can just re-sign Pablo Prigioni to a 1/10 of the cost tbh

Leetonidas
05-05-2015, 12:31 PM
What Splitter is getting. And, no, by no means is it a Splitter/Aldridge dilemma. If Duncan doesn't return, then there's no way the Spurs trade Splitter. Diaw seems like he'd be easier to move, anyway, seeing as his deal only have $3 Million or so more guaranteed after this season.

I'm assuming Duncan will return thus the need to trade Splitter. Obviously I have no inside info but I'm pretty confident he will return. Ginobili I think will retire

05-05-2015, 12:33 PM
The free agent crop is pretty disappointing. Outside of Marc Gasol and maybe LMA, there aren't any players that can thrust the Spurs back to championship contention. With Manu losing effectiveness and maybe retiring, and Parker unable to score in the paint, the Spurs are really hurting for play makers. The Spurs might need a hero baller but there aren't many good ones available. I would say blow it up and tank for a season or two but that will depend on if Duncan returns. Don't want his last season to be a terrible one.

ElNono
05-05-2015, 12:36 PM

Why wouldn't be a way? Cap is supposed to go up. Patty becomes an expiring deal. I don't buy the Aldridge/Splitter front-court is the only way narrative.

cantthinkofanything
05-05-2015, 12:42 PM
Why wouldn't be a way? Cap is supposed to go up. Patty becomes an expiring deal. I don't buy the Aldridge/Splitter front-court is the only way narrative.

I think that's right for next season assuming Duncan returns. Aldrige adds more than Splitter over the course of a season and more so factoring in that Splitter is injury prone.

But after TD retires, it would be nice to have an Aldridge/Splitter front court with a healthy Splitter. When he's on, he's a legit force (or mini force). But the realty is that he gets hurt way too often and it's maybe a big assumption that
he will ever have long stretches of injury free playing time.

Ocotillo
05-05-2015, 12:51 PM
Hoopshype has a blurb about Tiago being made available. http://hoopshype.com/rumors/r/5T0K/tiago-splitter-available

Chinook
05-05-2015, 12:59 PM

The Spurs have an artificially low salary right now, due to Leonard and Green having cap holds much smaller than their expected salaries. While they could probably eek out another max contract, doing so two seasons in a row will cripple their depth (no MLE two years in a row, no Duncan/Manu, no Joseph or Mills). Sure, a Parker/Green/Leonard/Aldridge/and say Horford SL is beast, but there's almost no way to build around them in one season. And they wouldn't have any bench to support Parker's age.

But what I meant in my post is that Aldridge is only really a huge plus for the Spurs if the team can project Splitter next to him for the next several years. Tiago compliments LA perfectly. LA/some replacement-level center isn't better than replacement-level PF/Splitter. And, it's more expensive.

jjktkk
05-05-2015, 01:05 PM

Wouldn't mind that at all. Kofous really blossomed with Memphis. Solid backup big man imo.

DesignatedT
05-05-2015, 01:13 PM
I understand Aldridge/Splitter fit well together but if getting rid of Tiago is the only way of getting LA you still do it. Not sure why anyone would seriously hesitate to get rid of Splitter after he clearly has shown he can't stay healthy and has failed on the biggest stages at different times in his career. Not trying to overrate LA, I know he has his faults as well but he's still 10x the basketball player as Tiago and the Spurs are going to need someone who can score the ball and create offense on their own.

eric365
05-05-2015, 01:18 PM

No he has not. Here is why:

For those asking why Tony Parker did NOT get a no-trade clause in his new deal, it’s because no-trade clauses can’t be added to extensions

This is Tony Parker’s third successive extension w/Spurs. Third successive time, in other words, San Antonio has kept him off open market

All six NBA players who have full no-trade clauses had to opt out and get to the open market to get them: Kobe, Duncan, Dirk, KG, Wade, Melo

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/01/tony-parker-didnt-get-a-no-trade-clause-in-his-new-spurs-deal-why-not/

ElNono
05-05-2015, 01:28 PM
The Spurs have an artificially low salary right now, due to Leonard and Green having cap holds much smaller than their expected salaries. While they could probably eek out another max contract, doing so two seasons in a row will cripple their depth (no MLE two years in a row, no Duncan/Manu, no Joseph or Mills). Sure, a Parker/Green/Leonard/Aldridge/and say Horford SL is beast, but there's almost no way to build around them in one season. And they wouldn't have any bench to support Parker's age.

But what I meant in my post is that Aldridge is only really a huge plus for the Spurs if the team can project Splitter next to him for the next several years. Tiago compliments LA perfectly. LA/some replacement-level center isn't better than replacement-level PF/Splitter. And, it's more expensive.

I don't think that's really true. The Spurs would need to land another big in the Splitter price-range next season, which I think could be doable, or at least, it would be worth the gamble if you're gunning to get LA this season.

I mean, I like Splitter, and I think he would pair well with LA, but his injury history is worrisome, he gives the best cap opening possibility, and provided Tim comes back for another year, he's more expendable than a guy like Diaw.

Just my impression, tbh...

Juan
05-05-2015, 01:43 PM
Any scenario in which the Spurs can send a package around Green to Portland for Aldridge/Afflalo. Seems like a desirable option for obvious reasons...

spurs10
05-05-2015, 01:43 PM
I don't think that's really true. The Spurs would need to land another big in the Splitter price-range next season, which I think could be doable, or at least, it would be worth the gamble if you're gunning to get LA this season.

I mean, I like Splitter, and I think he would pair well with LA, but his injury history is worrisome, he gives the best cap opening possibility, and provided Tim comes back for another year, he's more expendable than a guy like Diaw.

Just my impression, tbh... Diaw is with us next year, correct? I'm thinking the LA deal is going to be the primary deal sought after by the Spurs. Seems the discussion about Splitter staying or going isn't mutually exclusive to the LA signing. The injuries of Tiago were perhaps the biggest reason for our demise so I understand people being skeptical about him. People get hurt. He gets hurt a lot.

ElNono
05-05-2015, 01:49 PM
Diaw is with us next year, correct? I'm thinking the LA deal is going to be the primary deal sought after by the Spurs. Seems the discussion about Splitter staying or going isn't mutually exclusive to the LA signing. The injuries of Tiago were perhaps the biggest reason for our demise so I understand people being skeptical about him. People get hurt. He gets hurt a lot.

Well, we're working with the premise that TD will likely come back and that the Spurs will pay Kawhi and Danny their money, which would mean the Spurs will have to jettison a contract to have enough to lure LA with a max-deal.

That entire premise might turn out to be false though, but you know, we're guessing here.

monkeypunk
05-05-2015, 01:52 PM
I would not give up Diaw, too versatile and durable.

I also wouldn't give up Green and Splitter for Aflolo and Alridge. Aflolo did squat this year and would be a big downgrade over DG.

RD2191
05-05-2015, 02:00 PM
The Spurs only scored less than 100 twice against the Clips. That was with the offense looking like pure dog shit. The Spurs need defense.

BatManu20
05-05-2015, 02:10 PM
Sign & Trade w/ Memphis:

MEM receives: Tony Parker, Tiago Splitter, Davis Bertans, 2015 & 2016 1st Round draft pick

SAS receives: Mike Conley, Marc Gasol

Problem solved. :downspin:

intlspurshk
05-05-2015, 02:21 PM
Not sure what is the selling point for SA to appeal to LA when the only valuable asset is KL and KL needs a max contract. Tiago is always injured and TP sucks. Others are either role players or free agents. I don't see why LA would leave Portland when he could sign a bigger contract there and ask for trade subsequently even if he doesn't want to stay.

RD2191
05-05-2015, 02:25 PM
Not sure what is the selling point for SA to appeal to LA when the only valuable asset is KL and KL needs a max contract. Tiago is always injured and TP sucks. Others are either role players or free agents. I don't see why LA would leave Portland when he could sign a bigger contract there and ask for trade subsequently even if he doesn't want to stay.
I agree.

ElNono
05-05-2015, 02:42 PM
Tony Parker is not getting traded, so any scenario that includes Tony getting traded you can forget about right now.

Juan
05-05-2015, 02:49 PM
Is there a way for the Spurs to sign a big name FA like Aldridge without renouncing Green?

BatManu20
05-05-2015, 03:00 PM
Like I've been saying I think Aldridge ultimately ends up in Dallas. He's from there, already lives there in the offseason, would be close to family back in Texas, no state income tax, could see his son more often, they can offer him a max contract, etc.

That just seems like the most logical place for him, tbh. Most things point that direction.

Also, I know things seem to be pointing towards him leaving, but I wouldn't at all be surprised if he stayed in Portland either. Once it starts getting closer to signing period, he may very well reconsider. $30 Million is a lot of loot to leave on the table, and he has a chance to be "the best Blazer ever," if that means anything to him. He won't win a ring there though.

BatManu20
05-05-2015, 03:04 PM
It's going to be a looong offseason, but at least we can all enjoy this, tbh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpsZYh-DI88

DPG21920
05-05-2015, 03:19 PM

But doesn't Tim's likely larger than his contract cap hold sort of even things out some there?

goliath
05-05-2015, 03:35 PM

I think the main draw is Pop, RC and Holt. We have had one of the best coach-GM-owner situations in the league for the past 20 years. They have basically built three championship rosters (Robinson, Duncan, ****** - 99 team) (Duncan, Parker, Manu - 02,05,07 teams) (Duncan, Kwahi, Green, ect - 14 team).

While the obvious constant is Duncan, they have shown an excellent ability to draft players in the latter in the draft (parker, manu, Splitter, Kwahi)(not to mention players who never played for us like Barbosa, Scola, ect). They also have shown an ability to take players no one wanted and maximize their ability (SJax, Green, Diaw).

While LMA is no Duncan, he probably doesn't think he is far off. He may think "Hey, they built three championship level teams around Duncan, Im sure they can build them around me."

Or he can stay in Port which haas demonstrated no real ability to do so.

Malik Hairston
05-05-2015, 03:41 PM
For those that haven't kept up with him, Afflalo is pretty shitty nowadays, tbh..I said this prior to the trade, btw, so I'm not just basing it on his disappointing Portland stint..he's a good spot shooter and has a decent post game, but he hasn't been good on D since his 1st year in Denver..

Chinook
05-05-2015, 03:41 PM
But doesn't Tim's likely larger than his contract cap hold sort of even things out some there?

No. Because the Spurs have 10 days to work out moves. So they can agree with Tim to a new contract and have the best of both worlds. Next off-season (2016), Kawhi's max and Green's contract fully count on the books. That's why this is such a small window. The next one opens up in 2017 unless the Spurs essentially want to keep a bare cupboard next season.

goliath
05-05-2015, 03:42 PM
It funny that people think the spurs won't trade Splitter or be willing to lose Green for LMA. It all comes down to how the Spurs view LMA. If they think he is a foundation type piece, they will move/lose anyone outside Kwahi or Duncan for him. While I hope they both stay, the Greens and Splitters of the world are replaceable and have been replaced by the Spurs before over the years. The hardest type of player to get is the foundation type players. If trading Splitter gets them the cap room for LMA, Pop and RC will be buying the plane ticket right now. If Green wants money that knocks us out of getting LMA and LMA wants to sign, they let Green go.

BatManu20
05-05-2015, 04:22 PM
I wish Gasol would just come to his senses and realize he's never going to win a ring in Memphis, tbh... :cry

DPG21920
05-05-2015, 04:32 PM
No. Because the Spurs have 10 days to work out moves. So they can agree with Tim to a new contract and have the best of both worlds. Next off-season (2016), Kawhi's max and Green's contract fully count on the books. That's why this is such a small window. The next one opens up in 2017 unless the Spurs essentially want to keep a bare cupboard next season.

In your calculation in the Think Tank, to get to the ~14M in salary cap space, did you assume Tim was gone?

Chinook
05-05-2015, 04:53 PM
In your calculation in the Think Tank, to get to the ~14M in salary cap space, did you assume Tim was gone?

Yes. I gave my explanation of who I counted in there. Obviously, changing who is here alters the amount of cap space the team will have.

RD2191
05-05-2015, 04:53 PM
Would you guys rather have Tim and Manu retire and get LMA or have both back for 1 more season and miss out on LMA?

spurs10
05-05-2015, 05:10 PM
Well, we're working with the premise that TD will likely come back and that the Spurs will pay Kawhi and Danny their money, which would mean the Spurs will have to jettison a contract to have enough to lure LA with a max-deal.

That entire premise might turn out to be false though, but you know, we're guessing here.

Makes sense and I concur if we need to "jettison" a deal to acquire LA then it will be a tough call. Losing Diaw doesn't sound like a call I'd be happy with.

ducks
05-05-2015, 05:13 PM
Would you guys rather have Tim and Manu retire and get LMA or have both back for 1 more season and miss out on LMA?

sign Duncan to vet min 2 percentant owner of spurs

DesignatedT
05-05-2015, 05:14 PM
I know Tim's caphold is ridiculous but maybe they will come to an agreement where they renounce him and he signs for an exception of some sort.

Mugen
05-05-2015, 05:23 PM

Easily the 2nd option. The Spurs aren't winning a title without Duncan in uniform next season regardless if Aldridge is here tbh.

Ditty
05-05-2015, 05:33 PM
I really hope Tiago isn't traded. As mentioned it's not going to make a lot of sense to get Aldridge if Tiago is gone. Realistically and from what I'm hearing Aldridge is probably going to come here if Spurs have the salary cap room.

Mugen
05-05-2015, 05:39 PM
I just don't see any scenario where Splitter/Duncan/Aldridge are all on the team next year....

Maybe if they lose Danny & Manu. But I'd rather keep Green in that scenario as he's younger, more durable and would fill a greater need.

Russ
05-05-2015, 07:18 PM
Aldridge may be a dangerous player to build the Spurs around going forward.

A 6'11" jump-shooter. He backs his defender down just the way Duncan does, but unlike Duncan doesn't have a reliable move to get that consistent lean-in protected-with-the-body bank shot or quick jumper in the face of his defender.

Instead, LA tends to lumber slowly into a fade-away and/or corkscrew jumper when he shoots. It's tough to hit a high percentage that way and he doesn't. So his FG % is low -- especially for a guy that size.

He can't replace Duncan (on either end) and wouldn't be intended to replace Splitter.

He would likely be a go-to guy at the end of games, but without the consistency to inspire confidence in that situation.

I would trust Pop if he wants Aldridge, but he's not the type of player that would appear to portend team success.

Ditty
05-05-2015, 08:32 PM
Diaw would be probably the odd man out if we land Aldridge.

Think he has more trade value also on the open market, especially if we can land a first round pick for him for a team needing a stretch four.

He does take a lot of contested back to the basket fade away jumpers, and surprisingly makes a good amount of those shots. Though I'm confident Pop will put Aldridge in better positions on the court that he will succeed more on the offensive end that he doesn't have to make those tough jumpers.

Richie
05-05-2015, 08:49 PM
Diaw would be probably the odd man out if we land Aldridge.

Think he has more trade value also on the open market, especially if we can land a first round pick for him for a team needing a stretch four.

He does take a lot of contested back to the basket fade away jumpers, and surprisingly makes a good amount of those shots. Though I'm confident Pop will put Aldridge in better positions on the court that he will succeed more on the offensive end that he doesn't have to make those tough jumpers.

I've been thinking this, Diaw is the odd man out if we get Aldridge and Splitter if we get Gasol. I disagree that Diaw has value on the open market though, he will be cancerous if he's in the wrong situation, I think a lot of GMs will be wary.

If Aldridge or Gasol were willing to take around $1m under the max and Duncan take the Room exception, we could get away with just trading Mills who I suspect has the most value out of anyone we might consider getting rid of.

cd021
05-05-2015, 10:07 PM
I know Tim's caphold is ridiculous but maybe they will come to an agreement where they renounce him and he signs for an exception of some sort.

They could renounce him and resign him later using cap space unless the Spurs get L.A or Gasol, then it would either have to be the room exception or a vet. min deal

cd021
05-05-2015, 10:12 PM
I've been thinking this, Diaw is the odd man out if we get Aldridge and Splitter if we get Gasol. I disagree that Diaw has value on the open market though, he will be cancerous if he's in the wrong situation, I think a lot of GMs will be wary.

If Aldridge or Gasol were willing to take around $1m under the max and Duncan take the Room exception, we could get away with just trading Mills who I suspect has the most value out of anyone we might consider getting rid of.

I don't think Diaw would be the odd man out in either situation. Splitter probably would be considering he'd be a luxury as a backup big man. If the Spurs were somehow willing to get Duncan to take the room exception or a vet min deal (and we move Mills for a pick) I would think the Spurs keep both Splitter and Diaw. That big man core would be the best in the league, though if Manu doesn't come back on the cheap we really wouldn't have any guard depth.

pad300
05-06-2015, 01:06 AM
I suspect that none of the Name FA's want to sign here (Love, Monroe, Aldridge/Gasol- in order of personal preference).
Therefore, Where I would like to end up
Scenario A)
Bigs - Duncan, Splitter, Diaw, Amir Johnson, Alexis Ajinca, Jonas Jerebko
Wings - Kawhi, Green, Manu, Anderson, Dangubic/Landy Fields
PG - Parker, Mills, Wright, Joseph
or
Scenario B)
Bigs - Duncan, Splitter, Diaw, Amir Johnson, Alexis Ajinca, Jonas Jerebko
Wings - Kawhi, Green, Manu, Anderson, Calathes, Dangubic/Landry Fields
PG - Parker, Mills, Wright

Cap Situation
Guaranteed Salaries:
Tony Parker: $13,437,500
Tiago Splitter: $8,500,000
Boris Diaw: $7,000,000
Patty Mills: $3,578,947
Kyle Anderson: $1,142,879
Relevant cap holds:
Danny Green: $7,647,500
Kawhi Leonard: $7,235,148
Cory Joseph: $5,058,153
2015 First Round Pick (Delon Wright): $990,000
Roster hold: $525,093
(Livio Jean-Charles: $957,200/$0 write the letter saying the Spurs will not bring LJC over this summer "An unsigned first round pick is removed from team salary if the team and player both agree in writing not to sign any contract through the following June 30." Larry Coon Salary Cap FAQ)
Resign
Tim Duncan: $5,000,000 (this is a placeholder. The more he takes, the less we can offer Amir Johnson/Jonas Jerebko)
Manu Ginobili: $1499187 (vet min)
Release
Marco Belinelli, Jeff Ayres, Matt Bonner, Aaron Baynes

Projected 2015-2016 salary cap: $66.5 Million
Cap Space: $4360500.00

For scenario A:
Sign Amir Johnson, 4 yr deal starting at ~$5410686.00 (Cap Space + 1 Roster Hold). No more cap Space.
Sign Jonas Jerebko, 4 Yr deal, Tax Payer MLE - ($33760000)
Sign Alexis Ajinca, Minimum Player exception (vet Min, 2 yrs guaranteed) (get Tony and Boris to help talk him into it)
Sign Nemanja Dangubic/Landry Fields, Minimum Player exception (vet Min, 2nd yr unguaranteed)
Then resign, Danny, Kawhi, Cojo using bird rights.

For scenario B:
Release Cojo, expanding Capspace to : $9418653.00
Give Tim an extra $1,000,000 per year in salary (Available Cap space 8418653.00)
Sign Amir Johnson, 4 yr deal starting at ~$5,000,000 (Available Cap space 3943746.00 after accounting for roster holds)
Sign Jonas Jerebko, 4 Yr deal, starting at ~ 3943746.00 (remaining cap space)
Sign Alexis Ajinca, Minimum Player exception (vet Min, 2 yrs guaranteed) (get Tony and Boris to help talk him into it)
Sign Nemanja Dangubic/Landry Fields, Minimum Player exception (vet Min, 2nd yr unguaranteed)
S&T Calathes for 4 Yr deal into Tax Payer MLE - ($33760000), in exchange give Griz rights to Livio Jean Charles...

TD 21
05-06-2015, 05:17 PM
Baynes? You keep Diaw strictly due to salary this season. Especially if Duncan and Manu come back....I get me a starting center the year Duncan retires.

:lmao Baynes as a starting center? As if a player (in this case, Diaw) can't be traded just because he's under contract and it's just that easy to find a starting center in free agency, particularly when you're capped out . . . all this from a guy calling someone else out.

DPG21920
05-06-2015, 11:57 PM
Anyone think it's worth it to make a run at Tobias Harris? He's restricted, but I like him better than O'Quinn.

TheGoldStandard
05-07-2015, 12:00 AM
Anyone think it's worth it to make a run at Tobias Harris? He's restricted, but I like him better than O'Quinn.
Probably what we will be reduced to once our white whales sign with other teams or stay put. He could be a nice piece off the bench

Ditty
05-07-2015, 12:18 AM
If we pull off a sign and trade with Portland for Aldridge, and Green ends up leaving in free agency which I hope he doesn't. One player I would be interested is Allen Crabbe. I know some guys liked him to be the next Danny Green back in the 2013 draft. Hasn't really got much of a chance in Portland, would like to see if the Spurs could make something out of him.

SilverSpur
05-07-2015, 06:31 AM
Man, even Inside the NBA talking about the Spurs going after LMA. Could this shit really happen"

I heard ESPN radio talking about it for a few minutes. The way they talk about other teams getting free agents.
Not just in passing, but real talk.

Dex
05-07-2015, 10:24 AM
Is it time for next season yet?

100%duncan
05-07-2015, 11:07 AM

He'll prolly demand/get a lot of huge offers. And I don't want to sacrifice anyone of our players for him. Too small for pf and too slow for sf i think

Chinook
05-07-2015, 11:29 AM

O'Quinn is attractive because I think there's a decent chance that Orlando doesn't match a full MLE offer for him. They have a lot of money invested in their rotation already, and they could end up taking another big at the top of the draft at it is. Harris is a SF, so they're probably inclined to keep him. Also, Harris will likely get offers much bigger than the MLE.

Plus, O'Quinn is a stretch-five. Very rare skill set that would be welcomed in the Spurs' big-man rotation.

ajh18
05-07-2015, 11:54 AM
I like a sign-and-trade of Splitter for Aldridge, re-signing Green and Baynes. Hurts our defense to lose Tiago, but he's hurt frequently enough that I don't trust him to be there when we need him. Plus, even with Kawhi's improvement, Tony and Manu's reduced offensive production means we need another scorer (despite "the system"). Aldridge, if he would actually come, could be that. Bring back a team where the only real differences are Manu retiring and Aldridge replacing Splitter, and I really like our chances.

100%duncan
05-07-2015, 12:09 PM

http://www.sportstwo.com/threads/things-that-surprised-me-this-nba-season.283877/

even blazerfan knows Porky sucks so bad

:lol Mugen at Baconator :lmao

Leetonidas
05-08-2015, 02:49 AM
Tobias Harris would actually not be a bad idea but Orlando would probably match whatever Spurs might offer him

ace3g
05-08-2015, 08:50 AM
Tim Duncan: “That’s a big dude.” Luckily, instructors had a 7-foot-tall outfit for him to wear.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/sites/default/files/styles/large/public/field/media/web1_Tim-Duncan201556171515844_1.jpg?itok=G1pZCYS_

The best and worst celebs at indoor skydiving

http://www.reviewjournal.com/columns-blogs/doug-elfman/bieber-topless-kendra-the-best-and-worst-celebs-indoor-skydiving

kobyz
05-08-2015, 09:02 AM
Clearing space to try and get LA, any realistic options? Maybe Boris and a pick for Brendan Haywood contract?

ace3g
05-08-2015, 09:06 AM

cjw
05-08-2015, 09:13 AM
Tobias Harris would actually not be a bad idea but Orlando would probably match whatever Spurs might offer him

To me, RFA are completely out of the question as Spurs need to act very quickly in free agency. Can't afford to clog cap space for 72 hours when a lot of other pieces could fall in that period, particularly the main targets. Best to know immediately.

I do like Harris and hope he ends up just signing the QO and becoming UFA next year. Right coaching and he could develop nicely.

I like a sign-and-trade of Splitter for Aldridge, re-signing Green and Baynes.

Given Robin Lopez is also a free agent, that could work if Aldridge makes it clear to Portland that he intends to leave. Portland would get a useful piece in the trade that they could either run with or get assets for post-free agency / in season. Spurs would have to have another deal lined up for Splitter to ensure that they don't have to give up too much else in return to Portland.

If there's a deal to move Splitter that creates cap space and doesn't require significant assets to be shipped out, that works too.

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-08-2015, 09:44 AM
If the LMA plan falls through, I wouldn't mind the Spurs trying to piece a couple really solid pieces together and running it back. Would it be possible for the team to offer something like a $10 million deal for Tyson Chandler and a $4 million deal for KJ McDaniels?

vander
05-08-2015, 11:04 AM
This will be the first time since ??? that the spurs will actually have to go get a top NBA player somehow. Uncharted waters.

objective
05-08-2015, 11:26 AM
I posted about this in the Think Tank Free Agency thread, but ...

BOBAN MARJANOVIC should be a target. Free agent with Cvrena Zvezda. 7-3 monster who scores and scores and scores in the post. I compare him to All Jefferson, he's that effective. Plus he doesn't mess around, he'll dunk when the opportunity's there. And on defense, I compare him to Al Jefferson. He's going to have major problems defending NBA pick and rolls I think. Buy he tries on defense must of the time, he's just limited. But he takes up massive space and can be a factor around the rim as long as he doesn't have to recover there from the perimeter.

1st Team all euro league. 27 minutes, 16.6 points, 10.7 rebounds, 0.9 blocks.

Compared to someone like Enes Kanter, he looks like the better deal. Even if he was a part time player for the spurs, playing 24 minutes a game and splitting time with someone like splitter or Duncan, he would be a great value at mle type money, even up to 7-8 wouldn't be unreasonable. He wouldn't be as historically awful as Kanter on defense, that's something I'm confident of.

He can't defend the perimeter like splitter, but he'll damn straight up wreck fools on offense. If Boban was of the bench being covered by big baby, he would have devastated him. Massacre time.

kobyz
05-08-2015, 11:43 AM
After we say goodbye to Marco who do you prefer as a new wing addition, two options that could be in our range: Wayne Ellington or KJ McDaniels? Maybe we can bring both if Manu retire?

Spurs9
05-08-2015, 02:03 PM
I'm actually looking forward to the offseason just to see a different team. RC usually pulls out some unexpected things. Tired of seeing the same team tbh.

Robz4000
05-08-2015, 02:53 PM
I'm actually looking forward to the offseason just to see a different team. RC usually pulls out some unexpected things. Tired of seeing the same team tbh.

The same team that just had three deep playoff runs and won a title? The fuck?

timtonymanu
05-08-2015, 03:00 PM

Exactly. Why is everyone wanting a major retool? It's not like the Spurs teams that kept losing in the 1st round every season. The only one that needs to really fuck off is Enrique.

Robz4000
05-08-2015, 03:04 PM
Exactly. Why is everyone wanting a major retool? It's not like the Spurs teams that kept losing in the 1st round every season. The only one that needs to really fuck off is Enrique.

Agreed.

BatManu20
05-08-2015, 04:05 PM
Timmy seems to be enjoying himself so far.

BatManu20
05-08-2015, 04:07 PM
I agree I'd rather see the same team back than a major retool, but the issue with that is Tim & Manu will likely only play for 1 more year. PATFO are obviously planning beyond them, that's why they're so interested in LMA an other FA's. I think they believe that bringing back the same group will only do us good for one year, then we'd be stuck in limbo in 2016.

Robz4000
05-08-2015, 04:38 PM
I agree I'd rather see the same team back than a major retool, but the issue with that is Tim & Manu will likely only play for 1 more year. PATFO are obviously planning beyond them, that's why they're so interested in LMA an other FA's. I think they believe that bringing back the same group will only do us good for one year, then we'd be stuck in limbo in 2016.

Aldridge is close to 30 and may arguably be in decline. I'd be fine trading Splitter, another big near 30 potentially declining, to get him but giving up Green is going way too far.

BatManu20
05-08-2015, 04:41 PM
Aldridge is close to 30 and may arguably be in decline. I'd be fine trading Splitter, another big near 30 potentially declining, to get him but giving up Green is going way too far.

I agree. And I'd rather Manu retire than lose Green too. Just a lot of uncertainty right now. This is going to be a long offseason, tbh.

timtonymanu
05-08-2015, 04:41 PM

Bringing in LMA is fine. But Green absolutely has to be back too considering he's still pretty young and is a 3 & D player. You need a player like that to compete. Of course you take Aldridge if you can, but it's just a big gamble to go all in on a 30 year old big man who has a soft attitude sometimes on the court.

-21-
05-08-2015, 04:42 PM

I agree. And I'd rather Manu retire than lose Green too. Just a lot of uncertainty right now. This is going to be a long offseason, tbh.
I agree. KEEP DANNY GREEN.

Spurs9
05-08-2015, 07:50 PM

Other teams have gotten much better and we saw the signs this team wouldn't go all the way during the season. It's going to look different with all the free agents we have who may command more money, if Ginobili retires, things that need to be retooled. RC isn't going to stick with the same group because we won recently, he has to plan for the future. We don't even know if Tim is coming back which he most likely is. The team isn't going to be constructed in the offseason around a 39 year old player, they have to plan for future and start bring in new pieces for when Duncan retires tbh. Outside building the team around Leonard who would be 2nd with Duncan gone? Even if Parker played well I have my doubts we would have made it very far this year if we faced GSW.

baseline bum
05-08-2015, 07:57 PM

Salary dump, like when the Spurs gave the Warriors a first round pick to take the last two years of Jefferson's deal.

baseline bum
05-08-2015, 07:59 PM

What does PATFO mean?

Robz4000
05-08-2015, 08:03 PM
What does PATFO mean?

Pop And The Front Office

baseline bum
05-08-2015, 08:04 PM
Pop And The Front Office

Thanks, makes sense.

100%duncan
05-08-2015, 09:09 PM
Timmy seems to be enjoying himself so far.

Fucking nerd :lol

Malik Hairston
05-09-2015, 12:06 AM
Spurs are really in a tough spot, at this point, tbh, knowing they can't be legit contenders with Parker in the starting lineup..not sure how you move forward with a below average PG getting paid a ton of money and hurting the team on the court..

SpurPadre
05-09-2015, 12:09 AM

We have no fountain of youth. There needs to be change. That said, I want TD and Manu back but we still need to get younger at the same time by getting rid of some of the other guys.

Johnny RIngo
05-09-2015, 12:13 AM
Spurs are really in a tough spot, at this point, tbh, knowing they can't be legit contenders with Parker in the starting lineup..not sure how you move forward with a below average PG getting paid a ton of money and hurting the team on the court..

Tony was fucking things up for Tim back in 2004 - ten years later he's still chucking the team out of the playoffs. Porker effectively killed the Tim Duncan era.

Ice009
05-09-2015, 01:40 AM

lol. some fans are retarded. I'd prefer to ride a championship team for as long as possible if the main players can still get it done.

vander
05-09-2015, 06:32 PM
all them young Sixers will need some championship experience and mentoring, plus the Sixers need to get to that Salary Floor.

TP + 1st round pick for Wroten

overpay Green
sign LMA or whatever

AFBlue
05-09-2015, 07:15 PM
all them young Sixers will need some championship experience and mentoring, plus the Sixers need to get to that Salary Floor.

TP + 1st round pick for Wroten

overpay Green
sign LMA or whatever

Any scenario that has the Spurs trading Parker is unrealistic.

objective
05-09-2015, 09:26 PM
It's a shame.

After the Knicks get Monroe in free agency, they'd have some room left.

I would beg the spurs to deal Parker for the remaining 2 years of Jose Calderon. Straight up. Knicks would be able to absorb the difference. Parker even in his prime wouldn't be a triangle fit, but when the Knicks only are able to overpay Monroe, they might be desperate.

AFBlue
05-09-2015, 10:23 PM
It's a shame.

After the Knicks get Monroe in free agency, they'd have some room left.

I would beg the spurs to deal Parker for the remaining 2 years of Jose Calderon. Straight up. Knicks would be able to absorb the difference. Parker even in his prime wouldn't be a triangle fit, but when the Knicks only are able to overpay Monroe, they might be desperate.

Parker for Calderon straight up. Wow. You really think Calderon will be the better of those two players over the next two years? That's a serious question; not rhetorical.

tholdren
05-09-2015, 10:45 PM

And splitter, bonner, ayers, baynes,

objective
05-09-2015, 11:29 PM
Parker for Calderon straight up. Wow. You really think Calderon will be the better of those two players over the next two years? That's a serious question; not rhetorical.

Yes, 100%.

Parker's severe disrespect for Duncan and the organization by not keeping the weight off ... Can't trust him.

At least Calderon can shoot.

szkorhetz
05-10-2015, 12:03 AM
Yes, 100%.

Parker's severe disrespect for Duncan and the organization by not keeping the weight off ... Can't trust him.

At least Calderon can shoot.

Both can't penetrate or defend, nor lead a team, but at least Calderon could make shots and his salary is 7m, not 15m per year....
But, I Don't want any euro softies to run this team anymore, TBH.

objective
05-10-2015, 12:13 AM
All true.

The good news is that without that existing relationship Pop won't hesitate to pull Calderon for Mills when Calderon is having problems.

Calderon shoots great and doesn't turn the ball over.

Hell, Calderon was close to Parker in the 2014 first round, and Parker has fallen off a cliff since the

TheGoldStandard
05-10-2015, 09:20 AM
Someone needs to get to Bonner, if bonner supports it then Pop will consider it.

TD 21
06-02-2015, 08:07 PM
I've changed my mind. Acquiring Aldridge via sign and trade retains the MLE, which they can use to sign Ajinca. He's turned into a quality backup since returning to the league and would be a decent enough placeholder post Duncan.

Diaw, as a match-up proof, play making four, is just too valuable a player in today's game to give up. He's also stout enough to defend most centers for the stretches he'd play alongside Aldridge, who's a solid enough defensive rebounder/rim protector to work next to him.

Splitter's lack of durability is also too glaring to ignore. If he's the one kept, when he inevitably goes down, they'll have no credible third big/backup center, since they obviously won't have the money for a quality third center.

Aldridge/Diaw/Jean-Charles
Leonard/Anderson
Duncan/Ajinca/Ayres
Green/Ginobili/Jenkins
Parker/Mills/Wright

Chinook
06-02-2015, 08:17 PM
They can totally keep Baynes if they stay over the cap. Joseph too. Don't want Ayres back under any circumstances, and I think that goes for PATFO as well.

Tyrone Jenkins
06-02-2015, 08:20 PM
Here's my issue w/ Green:

He's a SG only. He can defend other SGs and some PGs but he's not really suited to handle bigger SFs night after night.

Why not bring in Kris Middleton (who can defend 3 positions and possibly smaller PFs), shoot just as well and possibly cost less. Couple that with picking up a guy like Justin Anderson or Anthony Brown or maybe even Jonathan Holmes. Quite frankly, the Spurs can't afford Green and I'd much rather have Aldridge than Green.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Justin-Anderson-5676/
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Anthony-Brown-6222/
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jonathan-Holmes-42028/

look_at_g_shred
06-02-2015, 08:21 PM
Hope we could land Aminu for that backup 3 spot.

TD 21
06-02-2015, 08:29 PM
They can totally keep Baynes if they stay over the cap. Joseph too. Don't want Ayres back under any circumstances, and I think that goes for PATFO as well.

Without calculating all the projections, they'd probably be well into the tax, which essentially means paying double for two third stringers, both of which are due a raise, even if they agreed to the qualifying offers. Seems too good to be true.

It's not that I want Ayres back, it's that they'll probably need third center for the minimum and he knows the system and is a good teammate, so I essentially picked him by default.

Sean Cagney
06-02-2015, 08:32 PM
Hope we could land Aminu for that backup 3 spot.

They would be pretty stupid not to look at him when they whiff on the other two big names, this one seems logical. I looked at this stats last year though and he shot 41% and 27% from three, could use improvement there.
Here's my issue w/ Green:

He's a SG only. He can defend other SGs and some PGs but he's not really suited to handle bigger SFs night after night.

Why not bring in Kris Middleton (who can defend 3 positions and possibly smaller PFs), shoot just as well and possibly cost less. Couple that with picking up a guy like Justin Anderson or Anthony Brown or maybe even Jonathan Holmes. Quite frankly, the Spurs can't afford Green and I'd much rather have Aldridge than Green.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Justin-Anderson-5676/
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Anthony-Brown-6222/
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jonathan-Holmes-42028/

Agreed but will Aldridge come? That is the huge question. That scenario seems right but seriously it's a big? right now and only time will tell on that. I hope Aldridge comes as most do in here but if they whiff on him and lose Green as well that would suck.

BTW Middleton can shoot you are right, had no clue he shot that high from 3 PT range. he would be nice

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/middlkh01.html

TheGoldStandard
06-02-2015, 08:53 PM
Middleton is going to get overpaid so that's not even in the equation

look_at_g_shred
06-02-2015, 09:28 PM

Sean Cagney
06-03-2015, 02:45 AM

Your right.