PDA

View Full Version : Can anybody name a series.....

Mugen
05-03-2015, 01:12 PM
where Pop coached worse?

I legit cannot think of one tbh.

MultiTroll
05-03-2015, 01:15 PM
2006 vs rookie Avery Johnson might be a tie.

hater
05-03-2015, 01:16 PM
Vs Dallas. One time.

Vs Lakers multiple times.

hater
05-03-2015, 01:18 PM
Parker was shit

Manu was shit

Splitter was shit

Duncan was eh soso

Kawhi was eh soso

The fact that pop made it to 7 games actually is a miracle imo

Mugen
05-03-2015, 01:20 PM
:lol the fact that Pop didn't make a single good coaching decision the entire series is the miracle tbh

Robz4000
05-03-2015, 01:20 PM
where Pop coached worse?

Shit, try season. If this is a sign of things to come as Pop gets older it might be time for him to retire too.

itsamanuthree
05-03-2015, 01:21 PM
Lol hater trying to equal Parker's bed shitting to that of other players.

RD2191
Where the fuck was Cojo? tbh. If a defensive PG was ever needed in a series it was this one. Pop was a scrub this series.

hater
:lol the fact that Pop didn't make a single good coaching decision the entire series is the miracle tbh

Tell me how parker Manu splitter oh and green were not shit.

A regular coach would have gotten swept. Maybe Doc was being nice to Pop because they buddies imo

ElNono
05-03-2015, 01:22 PM
2010-2011 vs Memphis in the 1st round:

- He decided to sit Gino in Game 1 when he could've played him
- Letting rookie Tiago watch from the bench while Bonner was getting eviscerated by ZBo

Mugen
05-03-2015, 01:25 PM
2010-2011 vs Memphis in the 1st round:

- He decided to sit Gino in Game 1 when he could've played him
- Letting rookie Tiago watch from the bench while Bonner was getting eviscerated by ZBo

Manu had a legit broken arm, cant fault him for that. Not playing Splitter was a trend forthat entire season but I'm talking about the microcosm of a single series tbh....

Mugen
05-03-2015, 01:29 PM
Let's get a running list going....

-Porky's minutes obviously
-Hack a DJ
-Not a single adjustment to the high double screen for CP3 all series long...
-Kawhi on CP3 and not Danny, pretty much taking away both their strengths as a defender...
-Patty not getting enough minutes
-Not putting Timmy on Blake once in Game 6 when he was going off
-Zero touches for Kawhi in the post when he was guarded by Jamal Crawford a ton...
-that final play call of the series...

He just looked disinterested for most of the series tbh.

ElNono
05-03-2015, 01:31 PM
Manu had a legit broken arm, cant fault him for that. Not playing Splitter was a trend forthat entire season but I'm talking about the microcosm of a single series tbh....

well, this series was also the microcosm of the entire season, tbh... I just think Pop gets to the playoffs and then goes to battle with what got him there. So I don't think anybody was really surprised he didn't shut Porky down or didn't give Patty a bigger role.

Last season was really forced on him by injuries...

ElNono
05-03-2015, 01:33 PM
Let's get a running list going....

-Porky's minutes obviously
-Hack a DJ
-Not a single adjustment to the high double screen for CP3 all series long...
-Kawhi on CP3 and not Danny, pretty much taking away both their strengths as a defender...
-Patty not getting enough minutes
-Not putting Timmy on Blake once in Game 6 when he was going off
-Zero touches for Kawhi in the post when he was guarded by Jamal Crawford a ton...
-that final play call of the series...

He just looked disinterested for most of the series tbh.

:pop: "I'm not that smart, Mugz. Now go fetch me another glass of wine."

Obstructed_View
05-03-2015, 01:50 PM

As one of the more vocal critics of Pop over the years, I'd like to know what exactly you think Pop did that was so awful in this series.

EDIT: Just saw your post above. I'll respond to that.

Raven
05-03-2015, 01:53 PM
last years first round was awful, but he did get better with time. This year no, so i guess we have to go back to the udoka-gooden times, athough it's debatable if that was more of a talent issue.

BatManu20
05-03-2015, 01:56 PM
Pop's a "ride or die" type of guy. He was going to ride his Big 3, whether people liked it or not. Obviously in this series, it was the wrong decision. Love Pop, but if he keeps pulling these bizarre coaching stunts, then I think it might be time to try and #BringBackCoachBud :cry

Raven
05-03-2015, 01:56 PM
As one of the more vocal critics of Pop over the years, I'd like to know what exactly you think Pop did that was so awful in this series.

EDIT: Just saw your post above. I'll respond to that.

he kept the pace low, played beli more than manu, didn't give green consistent minutes, did not play cory joseph despite him being the only one aside of danny that can defend paul, insisted on the awful defensive matchup paul-leonard, used the hacking while leading, played beli, insisted with parker even though he looked dead, went away from ball movement to forcing long jumpers.

td4mvp21
05-03-2015, 01:59 PM
2006 vs rookie Avery Johnson might be a tie.

2006 was worse IMO. In no way, shape, or form is Finley at power forward the answer to defensive deficiencies.

hater
05-03-2015, 01:59 PM
played beli more than manu

:lmao Manus corpse was shit out there. Ferrari was great. youre a loser

Mugen
05-03-2015, 02:01 PM
Pop's a "ride or die" type of guy. He was going to ride his Big 3, whether people liked it or not. Obviously in this series, it was the wrong decision. Love Pop, but if he keeps pulling these bizarre coaching stunts, then I think it might be time to try and #BringBackCoachBud :cry

Pop's benched Timmy many a times when the situation called for it (GSW series in 2013). But Porky had an endless leash this series despite Patty badly outplaying him....

Raven
05-03-2015, 02:04 PM
:lmao Manus corpse was shit out there. Ferrari was great. youre a loser

i'm pretty sure playing against rivers and turkoglu's dead brother will pad your stats, but that was when we were supposed to make the difference. We didn't.

hater
05-03-2015, 02:13 PM
i'm pretty sure playing against rivers and turkoglu's dead brother will pad your stats, but that was when we were supposed to make the difference. We didn't.

except Beli didn't play vs turko dipshit

manu did btw and was awful :lol

Obstructed_View
05-03-2015, 02:47 PM
he kept the pace low, played beli more than manu, didn't give green consistent minutes, did not play cory joseph despite him being the only one aside of danny that can defend paul, insisted on the awful defensive matchup paul-leonard, used the hacking while leading, played beli, insisted with parker even though he looked dead, went away from ball movement to forcing long jumpers.

Duncan, Diaw, Parker, Manu, and Kawhi were a combined -32 for game 7. This was the big lineup that won the title last year. Not sure how coaching makes up for that. It's pretty sensible to keep hoping that they eventually decide to play the way they did the last month of the season.

The Spurs shot 68 percent from the free-throw line in this series. Nobody on the team shot that badly in the entire regular season. If they just hit their free throws, they probably win the series in six games.

The pace is determined by the players and by the playoffs. Much of the Spurs' fast break comes from steals. Steals didn't happen. Part of that is because playoff teams don't cough up the ball as much. Let's not pretend that Pop suddenly commanded the players to slow down.

The Spurs weren't forcing long jumpers unless the shot clock was running down. The problem with their offense was people standing around. I saw Pop standing on the sidelines screaming profanities at his players trying to get them to move the ball around. The offense looked good for short bursts, but then they'd start stagnating again and the quality of their shots would drop.

Let's dispel the "Danny Green defends Paul" myth, please. Paul had a shitty game 3. The fact that he didn't have any more shitty games means what the Spurs did in that game had nothing to do with it.

Unless I'm mistaken, Danny Green lost minutes because he suddenly forgot how to fucking shoot. There's no amount of defense that makes up for that. You could make a case that putting Joseph in for Green might have worked, but Joseph isn't much more than a placeholder on offense, and we all know it.

Pop hacks bad free throw shooters, and does so because the percentages dictate that it will benefit you in the long run. In order for there to be a long run, you have to keep doing it. I don't agree with it, but we all know he's going to do it. He always has. His name is Gregg, nice to meet you.

Manu looked pretty shitty at times in this series, as did many of the shooters. Beli came in and was aggressive offensively. I'm unsure how people making a case for Patty to get more minutes simultaneously slam Beli getting minutes.

Honest to god, anyone who questions Pop's coaching after this series must not have been around for 2011, much less 2006. This year's version of Pop almost completely let the outcome be decided by his best players. I wish Patty could have gotten some more burn, but that's about it. This is probably the least Pop has interfered in recent memory.

wildchild
05-03-2015, 02:58 PM
Well, after the horrible coaching in playoffs, I'm more concerned about his plans next season.

If Manu retires and they don't re-sign Joseph...Pop'll go crazy, experimenting with the 2nd unit and the new guys.

And if the Spurs can get Aldridge we'll see the four down all game again, even when LA isn't a dominant and effective low post player as Timmy was...

Or just the opposite, and we'll see the mid j party featuring LA...

Damn...Pop'll play his mad scientist routine next season but more wild, insane, weird, than the usual.

Raven
05-03-2015, 02:58 PM
Duncan, Diaw, Parker, Manu, and Kawhi were a combined -32 for game 7. This was the big lineup that won the title last year. Not sure how coaching makes up for that. It's pretty sensible to keep hoping that they eventually decide to play the way they did the last month of the season.

The Spurs shot 68 percent from the free-throw line in this series. Nobody on the team shot that badly in the entire regular season. If they just hit their free throws, they probably win the series in six games.

The pace is determined by the players and by the playoffs. Much of the Spurs' fast break comes from steals. Steals didn't happen. Part of that is because playoff teams don't cough up the ball as much. Let's not pretend that Pop suddenly commanded the players to slow down.

The Spurs weren't forcing long jumpers unless the shot clock was running down. The problem with their offense was people standing around. I saw Pop standing on the sidelines screaming profanities at his players trying to get them to move the ball around. The offense looked good for short bursts, but then they'd start stagnating again and the quality of their shots would drop.

Let's dispel the "Danny Green defends Paul" myth, please. Paul had a shitty game 3. The fact that he didn't have any more shitty games means what the Spurs did in that game had nothing to do with it.

Unless I'm mistaken, Danny Green lost minutes because he suddenly forgot how to fucking shoot. There's no amount of defense that makes up for that. You could make a case that putting Joseph in for Green might have worked, but Joseph isn't much more than a placeholder on offense, and we all know it.

Pop hacks bad free throw shooters, and does so because the percentages dictate that it will benefit you in the long run. In order for there to be a long run, you have to keep doing it. I don't agree with it, but we all know he's going to do it. He always has. His name is Gregg, nice to meet you.

Manu looked pretty shitty at times in this series, as did many of the shooters. Beli came in and was aggressive offensively. I'm unsure how people making a case for Patty to get more minutes simultaneously slam Beli getting minutes.

Honest to god, anyone who questions Pop's coaching after this series must not have been around for 2011, much less 2006. This year's version of Pop almost completely let the outcome be decided by his best players. I wish Patty could have gotten some more burn, but that's about it. This is probably the least Pop has interfered in recent memory.

yeah i don't agree with anything you just said. Of course the coach decides the pace and he is to blame for making bad defensive matchups therefore not getting steals. beli was not agressive at all, he was in one game where he took awful shot after awful shot but that's not being agressive, that's just being retarded, he did not drive, he took multiple minutes off, was nowhere on D et cetera.. The hacking is good, but you use it when you cannot defend a certain player and the flow of the game needs to be broken. pop did it all wrong.

Raven
05-03-2015, 03:01 PM
except Beli didn't play vs turko dipshit

manu did btw and was awful :lol

of course :lmao

Mugen
05-03-2015, 03:08 PM
:lol I 100% agree that Pop took a hands off approach this series.

As I said, he made zero adjustments and looked disinterested the entire run......

baseline bum
05-03-2015, 03:28 PM
I'm going to say 2012 WCF because he played Bonner and Blair together in the third in a must win Game 5.

Obstructed_View
05-03-2015, 03:33 PM
yeah i don't agree with anything you just said.

If you think the coach can make up for -32 by the top 5 players then there's not really anything else to talk about. :lol

FkLA
05-03-2015, 03:40 PM

Who even says that?

Raven
05-03-2015, 03:45 PM
If you think the coach can make up for -32 by the top 5 players then there's not really anything else to talk about. :lol
frankly, yes i think so. of course the premises are wrong..

Floyd Pacquiao
05-03-2015, 05:38 PM
Thinking about it more this was his worst coached series ever. The adjustments were so simple yet he just couldn't see it.

Mugen
05-03-2015, 05:42 PM
Just sucks cuz I don't think the Clippers played that great. that 06 Dallas team is better than the '15 Clippers and the '15 Spurs were significantly better than the '11 Spurs tbh.

RD2191
05-03-2015, 05:44 PM
Just sucks cuz I don't think the Clippers played that great. that 06 Dallas team is better than the '15 Clippers and the '15 Spurs were significantly better than the '11 Spurs tbh.
That's the luxury of having go to guys in their prime, tbh. You can just go iso at the end of a close game and have a great shot at winning. Spurs have to rely on ball movement and mismatches.

DMC
05-03-2015, 05:44 PM
where Pop coached worse?

Taking Tim out in game 6, then over playing Manu who was bleeding turnovers... yeah. Much more important than a 1st round game.

daslicer
05-03-2015, 05:45 PM

Who even says that?

Like someone posters mentioned it seems like Pop's fire has gone away due to all the success he has had over the years. Pretty much the whole entire team kind of looked burned out from the long playoff runs of the last few years. I think that's why most of guys outside of Green didn't take the loss too hard. It just seems like everybody was just tired.

Sean Cagney
05-03-2015, 05:45 PM
Parker was shit

Manu was shit

Splitter was shit

Duncan was eh soso

Kawhi was eh soso

The fact that pop made it to 7 games actually is a miracle imoWhich Duncan were u watching???

james evans
05-03-2015, 05:51 PM
Maybe he needs to stop throing 7-10 games each season. That shit isn't cute once you get bounced from the first round.

GrandeDavid
05-03-2015, 05:53 PM
where Pop coached worse?

I thought he was atrocious. Pretty stupid bneching Duncan end of Game 6 in the 2013 Finals, but this series takes the cake. Doing that absolutely IDIOTIC hack-a-Jordan and while up 10 was comical. I wish for ONCE Pop would say "this one's not on the players, its on ME."

therealtruth
05-03-2015, 07:42 PM
I thought he was atrocious. Pretty stupid bneching Duncan end of Game 6 in the 2013 Finals, but this series takes the cake. Doing that absolutely IDIOTIC hack-a-Jordan and while up 10 was comical. I wish for ONCE Pop would say "this one's not on the players, its on ME."

The defense was horrible all series and then resorting to hack-a-jordan showed even less confidence in it. It isn't the coach's job to not interfere. It's his job to put the team in the best position to win. That means implementing strategies and a gameplan that the players believe in and works. Not having a good counter to the CP3 screens was absolutely dump.

HI-FI
05-03-2015, 07:55 PM

Who even says that?
Wow. I wasn't off when I said he acts like a tenured and wino prof.

ManuTastic
05-03-2015, 07:57 PM

True all this. This one wasn't on Pop. And Timmy was great, don't know wtf that one guy was talking about.

EVAY
05-03-2015, 08:01 PM
That's the luxury of having go to guys in their prime, tbh. You can just go iso at the end of a close game and have a great shot at winning. Spurs have to rely on ball movement and mismatches.

This is a good observation.

EVAY
05-03-2015, 08:02 PM
Pretty much the whole entire team kind of looked burned out from the long playoff runs of the last few years. It just seems like everybody was just tired.

This.

100%duncan
05-03-2015, 08:03 PM
2006 mavs, 2012 okc, 2004 LA

100%duncan
05-03-2015, 08:06 PM

Who even says that?

I think Pop is tired of coaching and the job overall tbh. He should just hang it up too if he's so uninterested

therealtruth
05-03-2015, 08:22 PM
Maybe he needs to stop throing 7-10 games each season. That shit isn't cute once you get bounced from the first round.

Agree. Pop's got to coach every year like he did in '13-'14 with the same attention to detail and same intensity. If he doesn't have it how the heck does he expect the team to have it. He can't play the game for the players but he can try to motivate them like he did last year.

K...
05-03-2015, 09:05 PM
Agree. Pop's got to coach every year like he did in '13-'14 with the same attention to detail and same intensity. If he doesn't have it how the heck does he expect the team to have it. He can't play the game for the players but he can try to motivate them like he did last year.

uh 80% of pop is still the best coach in the lg. I don't know what your thinking. Basketball is a players game.. No amount of coaching is going to make up for player missing shots, recovering from injury, or chis paul deciding his legacy was on the line and going into god mode.

'yall all so annoying

Capt Bringdown
05-03-2015, 09:27 PM
If Pop deserves credit for keeping the troops motivated and focused last year, then he deserves criticism this year for the way we went out in the first round.
Can anyone claim that the Spurs were motivated and focused against the Clippers?
The lack of the adjustments for the high double screen, as others have mentioned, amounted to a love letter and big, sloppy kiss to CP3's career.
And the hack-a-Jordan move when we're up 10 in game 6 at home - who does that?
It was precisely at that point that I knew that the Spurs would not recover and that the series was over. And that was all on Pop, not his players.