PDA

View Full Version : Does the Spurs getting knocked out early actually help lure Aldridge?

Tony Porker
05-03-2015, 03:19 PM
I know it sounds like a joke topic but think about it. I mean didn't Karl Malone choose the Lakers over the Spurs because he had made up his mind to play with whichever team lost their 2003 playoff series? Or am I misinformed? Not comparing Aldridge to Malone but I think this might somehow intrigue Aldridge more now. He would be credited with restoring the Spurs back to championship form if he is a part of the team next season and they manage to win it all again.

Poolboy5623
05-03-2015, 03:21 PM
Didn't you hear? He signed with SA, this morning.

Lakers999
05-03-2015, 03:37 PM
I think Aldridge future is brighter with the lakers than the spurs.... Clarkson, 4th pick randle, cap space in 2017 and a retiring Kobe. Los Angeles is a good fit for him now.

AFBlue
05-03-2015, 03:43 PM
I don't think the 2015 outcome influences his decision one way or the other. But, I do think it helps from this perspective...

The Spurs have time to talk to their impending free agents and get a sense for their intent in the offseason. Knowing what your roster could potentially look like based on your own players helps in the planning for recruiting outside free agents. The more time you have for that planning, the better your planning (and hopefully execution) will be.

Dverde
05-03-2015, 03:45 PM
It will come down to the Spurs, Blazers, and some other team. No way he signs with the Spurs. Kwahi will call him up and say "it's good", but it won't matter.

TXstbobcat
05-03-2015, 03:45 PM
I think Aldridge future is brighter with the lakers than the spurs.... Clarkson, 4th pick randle, cap space in 2017 and a retiring Kobe. Los Angeles is a good fit for him now.

Does he have a bastard child in LA like he does in San Antonio???

wildchild
05-03-2015, 03:49 PM
Does he have a bastard child in LA like he does in San Antonio???

At some point, all NBA players have a bastard child in LA.

Just ask Howard.

Darius Bieber
05-03-2015, 03:50 PM
No "big-name" FA is ever signing in San Antonio.

TXstbobcat
05-03-2015, 03:56 PM
At some point, all NBA players have a bastard child in LA.

Just ask Howard.

:lmao

Tony Porker
05-03-2015, 04:02 PM
I don't think the 2015 outcome influences his decision one way or the other. But, I do think it helps from this perspective...

The Spurs have time to talk to their impending free agents and get a sense for their intent in the offseason. Knowing what your roster could potentially look like based on your own players helps in the planning for recruiting outside free agents. The more time you have for that planning, the better your planning (and hopefully execution) will be.

Great point you made there

Ditty
05-03-2015, 04:06 PM
Still think Aldridge wants to come to Texas, and be closer with his family.

I think it will be down to either us or Dallas.

Of course another late post season run would've made us clear cut favorites but I'm pretty sure we are still at the top of his list & may think he could be the missing piece to put us over the top again.

RD2191
05-03-2015, 04:08 PM
Still think Aldridge wants to come to Texas, and be closer with his family.

I think it will be down to either us or Dallas.

Of course another late post season run would've made us clear cut favorites but I'm pretty sure we are still at the top of his list & may think he could be the missing piece to put us over the top again.
I'm warming up to the idea tbh but I think he chooses Dallas over us easily.

RD2191
05-03-2015, 04:08 PM
Can the Spurs pay Kawhi, Green and LMA though?

K...
05-03-2015, 04:10 PM
well we didn't exactly shit the bed. Not like Dallas. IDK, Hopefully he sees the spurs and says "damn they need a playmaker, that's me"

But yeah, the magic of free agency is that you can sign anywhere they have capspace. aka Hello Kevin Love!

Ditty
05-03-2015, 04:43 PM
I'm warming up to the idea tbh but I think he chooses Dallas over us easily.

Only advantage Dallas has over us is that he is from there, but it seems like the Dallas kids in the NBA usually don't care about going back.

Mavs are a sinking ship that are relying on Chandler Parson to keep them above water :lol, with an owner who doesn't believe in building through the draft.

Playing with Tim for one more season would be extremely intriguing to him also imo.

I believe they would have to sign Aldridge first, before they offer Kawhi a max contract. People close to Aldridge claim money doesn't matter anymore, and is just about happiness now. Still think he is getting a big contract though.

RD2191
05-03-2015, 04:47 PM
Only advantage Dallas has over us is that he is from there, but it seems like the Dallas kids in the NBA usually don't care about going back.

Mavs are a sinking ship that are relying on Chandler Parson to keep them above water :lol, with an owner who doesn't believe in building through the draft.

Playing with Tim for one more season would be extremely intriguing to him also imo.

I believe they would have to sign Aldridge first, before they offer Kawhi a max contract. People close to Aldridge claim money doesn't matter anymore, and is just about happiness now. Still think he is getting a big contract though.
Splitter goes to the bench?

ducks
05-03-2015, 04:49 PM
Might he could be Spurs savorior

BatManu20
05-03-2015, 04:50 PM
I think some FA's actually have considered San Antonio when thinking about FA destinations while they were with their current team, but once they get off the plane and headed for that military base of an arena, they quickly remember why they'd never sign here, tbh :lol

If only we were in Austin :cry

RD2191
05-03-2015, 04:52 PM
I think some FA's actually of consider San Antonio when thinking about FA destinations while they're with their other team, but once they get off the plane and head for that military base of an arena, they quickly remember why they'd never sign here, tbh :lol
The AT&T center just feels so dead and boring tbh. They need to modernize it and upgrade it. Or just build a new arena.

hater
05-03-2015, 04:56 PM
We need a #1 banana we currently dont have one

BatManu20
05-03-2015, 05:00 PM
The AT&T center just feels so dead and boring tbh. They need to modernize it and upgrade it. Or just build a new arena.

They should never have built it on the Eastside imo. Obviously it was cheaper but it looks terrible from an outsider's POV. and the part of town it's in is not appealing whatsoever. I almost cringe every time they show an aerial shot of the AT&T Center during the playoffs and it looks like it's next to a cow pasture out in the middle of nowhere :lol

And they're definitely not building a new one any time soon, considering they just approved a $100 Million renovation plan for the arena: http://www.ksat.com/content/pns/ksat/news/2015/04/07/at-t-center-renovation-plans-unveiled.html

TXstbobcat
05-03-2015, 05:05 PM
They should never have built it on the Eastside imo. Obviously it was cheaper but it looks terrible from an outsider's POV. and the part of town it's in is not appealing whatsoever. I almost cringe every time they show an aerial shot of the AT&T Center during the playoffs and it looks like it's next to a cow pasture out in the middle of nowhere :lol

And they're definitely not building a new one any time soon, considering they just approved a $100 Million renovation plan for the arena: http://www.ksat.com/content/pns/ksat/news/2015/04/07/at-t-center-renovation-plans-unveiled.html

Yeah. It always feels like we are driving around in the ghetto when we go to a Spurs game.

RD2191
05-03-2015, 05:05 PM

Maybe they thought the Spurs were done winning titles when they built it.:lol The upgrades sound nice.

TheGoldStandard
05-03-2015, 05:08 PM
Getting bumped didn't change much, it's going to come down to money and if Aldridge thinks we're a title contender.

goliath
05-03-2015, 05:27 PM
I think the early exit helps not hurts. If we had repeated it would see he was riding our coat tails to a title. I also think we are close enough to max room even if Tim comes back that we can get there if needed. I'm thinking something like a sign and trade with splitter (Portland was preparing a offer sheet for him bf he resigned so there is interest)

Chillen
05-03-2015, 05:27 PM

I like it, that it seems out in the boonies. Kind of feels like your entering a shopping mall or something.

milkyway21
05-03-2015, 05:37 PM
I know it sounds like a joke topic but think about it. I mean didn't Karl Malone choose the Lakers over the Spurs because he had made up his mind to play with whichever team lost their 2003 playoff series? Or am I misinformed? Not comparing Aldridge to Malone but I think this might somehow intrigue Aldridge more now. He would be credited with restoring the Spurs back to championship form if he is a part of the team next season and they manage to win it all again.

NOT, IF DUNCAN WILL RETIRE.. Maybe if he stays for 1 more year there's a possibility. Aldridge might become the team's offensive force, Kawhi leading the defense, with Duncan, a mentor on the court playing limited minutes.

Think about it, if you're Aldridge, would you?
He's having a good year in Portland. He made the play-offs. Portland might offer him the heaven to stay, .or he can demand a trade FOR a FA that he wants so he can advance to the WCF next season.

With a no Duncan & Manu with a struggling TP Spurs, (assuming Green & Kawhi still unsigned), it is like almost starting from scratch.

Sign Kawhi to the max, secure Green, Duncan on standby, For him to say he's a missing piece of a playoff team, not a foundation of a team that would take some time to build into a championship team.,

TheGoldStandard
05-03-2015, 05:47 PM
NOT, IF DUNCAN WILL RETIRE.. Maybe if he stays for 1 more year there's a possibility. Aldridge might become the team's offensive force, Kawhi leading the defense, with Duncan, a mentor on the court playing limited minutes.

Think about it, if you're Aldridge, would you?
He's having a good year in Portland. He made the play-offs. Portland might offer him the heaven to stay, .or he can demand a trade FOR a FA that he wants so he can advance to the WCF next season.

With a no Duncan & Manu with a struggling TP Spurs, (assuming Green & Kawhi still unsigned), it is like almost starting from scratch.

Sign Kawhi to the max, secure Green, Duncan on standby, For him to say he's a missing piece of a playoff team, not a foundation of a team that would take some time to build into a championship team.,

Portland is in a similar situation and the way they setup there salary situation they are looking to build around Lillard next off-season. I don't see Portland aggressively trying to match an offer or go to great lengths to keep Aldridge there.

Ditty
05-03-2015, 08:08 PM
I think some FA's actually have considered San Antonio when thinking about FA destinations while they were with their current team, but once they get off the plane and headed for that military base of an arena, they quickly remember why they'd never sign here, tbh :lol

If only we were in Austin :cry

The area from the airport to about the a mile or two from the at&t center is very nice, the same for if the Spurs take them from the airport to the practice facility. The quarry and north star mall are a few nice things you see on the way to both locations. The only ghetto the players see is around the at&t center, but their is nothing but black people around there so I'm pretty sure they're very comfortable :lol

I like Austin but it's too small of a city, and 6th street is extremely overrated especially if you have ever been to Bourbon street. Traffic sucks also.

Ditty
05-03-2015, 08:16 PM

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. Spurs defense might take a bit of a hit also, but I don't think spacing would be an issue at any point. Also if Manu comes back they seem to play a lot better together on the pick n roll also.

Duncan-Splitter-Baynes
Aldridge-Diaw

rotation would be really nice.

Beaverfuzz
05-03-2015, 08:36 PM

The bench in Brazil maybe.

intlspurshk
05-03-2015, 09:19 PM
FO don't overpay which is the key difference. Players think about how the team will help themselves to achieve personal goal not the other way round.

cjw
05-03-2015, 09:31 PM

Kawhi > Clarkson + Randle + your lottery pick this year. Sorry about that, I know the truth hurts. And that's not even looking up and down the rest of the roster. Should the Spurs resign Green, he'd immediately be the best player on the Lakers other than hobbled Kobe.