PDA

View Full Version : Clippers Who are the Clipper fans in LA?

Caltex2
05-03-2015, 07:00 PM
I'm mystified. Growing up really young in LA (Carson to be exact), there was a brief time after Magic Johnson's retirement when the Clippers were better than the Lakers, some of Larry Brown's team's with Danny Manning and Ron Harper.

Other than that, until now, the Clippers were never better than the Lakers. Having lived in and frequently visiting SoCal, I don't know where to find the Clipper fans. I remember many a Summer where there were only Laker fans and flags on cars out there. My relatives still there don't really know any.

On a side note, I always wonder why they didn't move into the Arrowhead Pond/Honda Center full time (instead of part time) and create their own identity. Sure globs of money can be made at Staples in LA itself but its about creating an identity.

Thread
05-03-2015, 07:02 PM
I'm mystified. Growing up really young in LA (Carson to be exact), there was a brief time after Magic Johnson's retirement when the Clippers were better than the Lakers, some of Larry Brown's team's with Danny Manning and Ron Harper.

Other than that, until now, the Clippers were never better than the Lakers. Having lived in and frequently visiting SoCal, I don't know where to find the Clipper fans. I remember many a Summer where there were only Laker fans and flags on cars out there. My relatives still there don't really know any.

On a side note, I always wonder why they didn't move into the Arrowhead Pond/Honda Center full time (instead of part time) and create their own identity. Sure globs of money can be made at Staples in LA itself but its about creating an identity.

I was equally shocked & mystified that Buss went for it as well. The savings must be enormous.

Arnold Toht
05-03-2015, 07:02 PM
Shut up faggot.

Caltex2
05-03-2015, 07:04 PM
2 weeks on this board and I still can't figure out one of Thread's posts.

daslicer
05-03-2015, 07:06 PM

Just curious how did you become a rockets fan?

Caltex2
05-03-2015, 07:19 PM
I moved to Houston Area really young and just in time for the back-to-back title runs. A couple years after the Larry Brown Clipper teams (and I was a Laker hater even back then).

DMC
05-03-2015, 08:27 PM
2 weeks on this board and I still can't figure out one of Thread's posts.
Buss being the owner of the Lakers, having the say about the arena, likely sharing costs with Sterling to save a dime. How hard is that to understand?

IronMaxipad
05-03-2015, 08:57 PM
Only "Clippers fans" i know out here are laker haters that don't even watch basketball.

Magic's T-Cells
05-03-2015, 09:00 PM
Only "Clippers fans" i know out here are laker haters that don't even watch basketball.

Sums up Clipper Nation's profile perfectly.

TDMVPDPOY
05-03-2015, 09:01 PM
balmer looks like he has the money, why not build a new stadium...dude has 27b, a stadium only costs like what? under 1b to build....

he wont need taxpayer funds to build that shit, would just be 100% own by him adding capital to teams net worth...but in reality his team isnt worth the price he paid for...

daslicer
05-03-2015, 09:08 PM
I moved to Houston Area really young and just in time for the back-to-back title runs. A couple years after the Larry Brown Clipper teams (and I was a Laker hater even back then).

That's pretty cool so you have been a fan since the clutch city days.

Venti Quattro
05-03-2015, 09:10 PM
balmer looks like he has the money, why not build a new stadium...dude has 27b, a stadium only costs like what? under 1b to build....

Even if he was worth as much as Buffett and Gates, I don't think he'd pass up a 50% discount on the stadium lease.

And as you mentioned, saves him the under $1bn.

DMC
05-03-2015, 10:00 PM
Sums up Clipper Nation's profile perfectly.
This is one of the best alt names on ST tbh

lefty
05-03-2015, 10:01 PM
http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1037634/images/o-BILLY-CRYSTAL-BIRTHDAY-facebook.jpg

ClipperLuva
05-03-2015, 10:02 PM
All Clipper fans here are basically the same tbh... die hard basketball fans, classy as fuck.

Caltex2
05-04-2015, 12:22 AM
That's pretty cool so you have been a fan since the clutch city days.

Yep, thus it's been a pretty frustrating existence since 1997. Ah, well, they could be the Phoenix Suns and Utah Jazz (whom the Rockets denied twice, 3/4 in gut wrenching fashion, en route to titles).

Buss being the owner of the Lakers, having the say about the arena, likely sharing costs with Sterling to save a dime. How hard is that to understand?

It makes sense but usually his posts are incoherent. And even still, despite any money to be made and cost sharing it would have made more sense from a standpoint of creating an identity to play in Anaheim. Now they are just LA's B team and even offer, more or less, the same game experience because they play in the same arena.

All Clipper fans here are basically the same tbh... die hard basketball fans, classy as fuck.

I'm trying to figure how the arena is always full and has been for years. I have yet to meet a Clippers fan my entire life in my numerous trips to the region . As annoying as the Laker fans are, including my brother, they are still very much out there even if they are down (which tends to happen when you make the Finals about every other year on average).

AlexJones
05-04-2015, 12:25 AM
Nothing wrong with bandwagoning despite what most think

Caltex2
05-04-2015, 12:29 AM
On a side note, I commend Bill Crystal, he could have been a Laker nut hugger like all the rest of the celebs but he stuck with them through and through. He's the Clippers' Jack Nicholson (a true fan in his own right).

Venti Quattro
05-04-2015, 12:34 AM
Nothing wrong with bandwagoning despite what most think

I would never root for three teams though. Maybe it's cool to hop in a bandwagon once in a while but supporting three teams is arduous in itself.

Def Rowe
05-04-2015, 01:11 AM
On a side note, I commend Bill Crystal, he could have been a Laker nut hugger like all the rest of the celebs but he stuck with them through and through. He's the Clippers' Jack Nicholson (a true fan in his own right).

He would have been a Lakers fan, but he thought it was too expensive to be a season ticket holder. So he decided to become a Clippers fan. :lol

Caltex2
05-04-2015, 01:14 AM
I would never root for three teams though. Maybe it's cool to hop in a bandwagon once in a while but supporting three teams is arduous in itself.

Who is the third team in the equation?

He would have been a Lakers fan, but he thought it was too expensive to be a season ticket holder. So he decided to become a Clippers fan. :lol

He should have become a UCLA fan then, he'd have had plenty to root for still at a fraction of the price.

Thebesteva
05-04-2015, 02:45 AM
Serious question for CN,

would he rather see Clippers win their first or LeBronze win this year? I seriously think he would prefer Lebron winning.

DMC
05-04-2015, 03:02 AM
Yep, thus it's been a pretty frustrating existence since 1997. Ah, well, they could be the Phoenix Suns and Utah Jazz (whom the Rockets denied twice, 3/4 in gut wrenching fashion, en route to titles).

It makes sense but usually his posts are incoherent. And even still, despite any money to be made and cost sharing it would have made more sense from a standpoint of creating an identity to play in Anaheim. Now they are just LA's B team and even offer, more or less, the same game experience because they play in the same arena.

I'm trying to figure how the arena is always full and has been for years. I have yet to meet a Clippers fan my entire life in my numerous trips to the region . As annoying as the Laker fans are, including my brother, they are still very much out there even if they are down (which tends to happen when you make the Finals about every other year on average).

I think the majority of Lakers fans are also Clippers fans, depending on who's doing better at the moment. Lakers fans are notorious bandwagonners, hell even Jack was at a Clippers game.

GuerillaBlack
05-04-2015, 05:30 AM
I was in LA about two weeks ago and was listening to KDAY. They were like "Lakers aren't in the playoffs, but that's alright LA. It is sunny, it is the weekend, go on ahead and roll those windows down and head out to the beach". Absolutely no mention of the Clippers, who played later that day. :lol. I was surprised my friend if they always disrespect the Clippers like that and he said no one cares about them. But then, how is the arena full?

Caltex2
05-04-2015, 01:58 PM
I think the majority of Lakers fans are also Clippers fans, depending on who's doing better at the moment. Lakers fans are notorious bandwagonners, hell even Jack was at a Clippers game.

I can see how there are some who are both but the problem is the Clippers are almost never better than the Lakers and they're usually at opposite ends of the spectrum. And unlike the MLB and NFL, there's no cross-conference dynamic so the Clippers were the B-team/JV team in every sense of the word.

Caltex2
05-05-2015, 12:34 AM
I've got a theory on whom the Clipper fans are:

1. Laker haters

2. People who either can't access or afford season tickets to the Lakers (someone correct me if Clippers season tickets cost more).

3. Fans that swing both ways (Clips and Lakers, not that other thing)

4. Friends, family and employees.

5. And bandwagoners (of course)

I'm not talking trash (really, the Clips have all of the bragging rights at this point), I'm just curious because I've never met a Clippers fan in real life.

Clipper Nation
05-05-2015, 12:36 AM
Anaheim tried to woo the team back in the mid-'90s and the Clippers actually played a few preseason games there. Sterling was never seriously interested in moving the team out of LA proper, though.

Caltex2
05-05-2015, 12:41 AM
No, the Clippers played part time at the Pond as it was called in the late 90's. I know Sterling wasn't interested (short of landing Kobe Bean Bryant) but I'm saying he should have done so full time regardless of the money he could make in LA proper just for the sake of creating your own identity.

Clipper Nation
05-05-2015, 01:10 AM
No, the Clippers played part time at the Pond as it was called in the late 90's. I know Sterling wasn't interested (short of landing Kobe Bean Bryant) but I'm saying he should have done so full time regardless of the money he could make in LA proper just for the sake of creating your own identity.
Money >>>>>>> "creating your own identity." Especially for a miser like DTS.

ezau
05-05-2015, 04:16 AM

Laker fans will be on full suicide-mode when the Clips win it all this year. I never thought I'd live to say the day when the Clippers become the more loved and better LA team, but damn, it's about to happen anytime soon. :lol

Caltex2
05-05-2015, 06:37 AM
The Lakers have been to the Finals, what, 25 times since they moved to LA with 11 titles. I don't think anyone is gonna lose any sleep.

jsandiego
05-05-2015, 11:29 AM
I lived in SoCal for about 5 years. Never met a Clippers fan. Since then, I've met two. That's it. They might have taken a piece of the Asian fanbase there for some reason. But other than that, I can't figure it out either. They literally didn't exist when I was there. It was just an extra game where the visiting team can come watch their favorite team play. I loved Clipper games b/c it usually meant I could afford lower bowl tickets and watch the Spurs win on the road.

DMC
05-05-2015, 12:51 PM
I can see how there are some who are both but the problem is the Clippers are almost never better than the Lakers and they're usually at opposite ends of the spectrum. And unlike the MLB and NFL, there's no cross-conference dynamic so the Clippers were the B-team/JV team in every sense of the word.
So only successful franchises get fans? I realize the world of professional sports exists because of bandwaggoning fans, but there are fans of teams that have never won anything.

Also, sometimes people want to go see the game, you don't have to necessarily be a fan of either team but most likely you'll cheer for the home team if you're not committed.

DMC
05-05-2015, 12:54 PM
The Lakers have been to the Finals, what, 25 times since they moved to LA with 11 titles. I don't think anyone is gonna lose any sleep.
You're wrong then. When the ownerships of both teams have changed, and they are at opposite ends of the success spectrum, there are plenty people in Lakerland sitting on back patios at 2am smoking cigarettes and worrying about their futures.

This would not be the case for the GSW or Sacramento, however since these two franchises share Staples Center, it's not that far fetched to think of market share moving to the Clippers. It's years down the road, but if the Lakers don't right that ship they might give the Clippers enough life to put a hurting on them.

Caltex2
05-05-2015, 04:28 PM
So only successful franchises get fans? I realize the world of professional sports exists because of bandwaggoning fans, but there are fans of teams that have never won anything.

Also, sometimes people want to go see the game, you don't have to necessarily be a fan of either team but most likely you'll cheer for the home team if you're not committed.

Which means they're not a fan of the team, just spectators. If the Lakers stay down and the Clippers stay up, then they will have time to build up their fan base. They have an owner who isn't just about the bottom line anymore and actually cares about winning now.

You're wrong then. When the ownerships of both teams have changed, and they are at opposite ends of the success spectrum, there are plenty people in Lakerland sitting on back patios at 2am smoking cigarettes and worrying about their futures.

This would not be the case for the GSW or Sacramento, however since these two franchises share Staples Center, it's not that far fetched to think of market share moving to the Clippers. It's years down the road, but if the Lakers don't right that ship they might give the Clippers enough life to put a hurting on them.

The Lakers have such an outstanding legacy that the Clippers could make 15 straight Finals appearances and still not have more diehard fans than the Lakers. It would make things a lot more even but still not see them surpass the Lakers.

And throughout my life I've been a chief Laker hater. Just calling the facts.

Killakobe81
05-05-2015, 05:00 PM

DMC had a dream ... Martin had a dream ...Alliyah had a dream ...

Findog
05-05-2015, 05:01 PM
There's a lot of transplants in LA. Native Angelenos tend to root for the Lakers. The Clippers natural fanbase are people that moved to LA and don't like the Lakers. They were also a much cheaper option if you wanted to watch visiting teams and players compared to the Lakers.

DMC
05-05-2015, 05:16 PM
Which means they're not a fan of the team, just spectators. If the Lakers stay down and the Clippers stay up, then they will have time to build up their fan base. They have an owner who isn't just about the bottom line anymore and actually cares about winning now.

The Lakers have such an outstanding legacy that the Clippers could make 15 straight Finals appearances and still not have more diehard fans than the Lakers. It would make things a lot more even but still not see them surpass the Lakers.

And throughout my life I've been a chief Laker hater. Just calling the facts.
Fans are largely "what have you done for me lately" people. You cannot compare them to any other team in the league because no other team shares an arena with another team in the same league. I don't think the Lakers will have fewer fans than the Clippers, probably ever, but Lakers big wigs don't want Clippers getting in on the TV deals that might bite into their pockets. I know they share profits in the NBA, but the fans like who they grow up watching. How many here have bought a Dr J jersey lately?

DMC
05-05-2015, 05:17 PM
DMC had a dream ... Martin had a dream ...Alliyah had a dream ...
Meanwhile you've been having a nightmare.

Killakobe81
05-05-2015, 06:04 PM
Meanwhile you've been having a nightmare.

Not really I'm built for this 12,13 year drought between 88 back to back and three peat I'm cool with a young rebuilding squad if it takes another 5 to win again so be it. I just want the pick

DMC
05-05-2015, 06:07 PM
Not really I'm built for this 12,13 year drought between 88 back to back and three peat I'm cool with a young rebuilding squad if it takes another 5 to win again so be it. I just want the pick
Another 5. LOL.. Jerry Buss ain't comin' through that door.

Caltex2
05-05-2015, 08:02 PM
Fans are largely "what have you done for me lately" people. You cannot compare them to any other team in the league because no other team shares an arena with another team in the same league. I don't think the Lakers will have fewer fans than the Clippers, probably ever, but Lakers big wigs don't want Clippers getting in on the TV deals that might bite into their pockets. I know they share profits in the NBA, but the fans like who they grow up watching. How many here have bought a Dr J jersey lately?

Maybe but a sling of Clipper success is not going to suddenly change the way people view the Clippers vs. the Lakers. It will take decades of the reverse of what has been happening an the fan allegiances that have been built up. Right now, the only diehard Clipper fans, probably anyways, are the few who were fans before they started winning and kids under the age of 12 more or less.

It's why I say they should have been in Anaheim these last two decades, at least they would have clearly been the OC's team even if inevitably the Lakers would have been much more popular.

daslicer
05-05-2015, 08:02 PM
I wonder if you could find clipper fans who were actual fans during the Pooh Richardson-Loy Vaught-Derick Martin era. Those Clipper teams were truly comical.

Clipper Nation
05-05-2015, 08:23 PM
Maybe but a sling of Clipper success is not going to suddenly change the way people view the Clippers vs. the Lakers. It will take decades of the reverse of what has been happening an the fan allegiances that have been built up. Right now, the only diehard Clipper fans, probably anyways, are the few who were fans before they started winning and kids under the age of 12 more or less.

It's why I say they should have been in Anaheim these last two decades, at least they would have clearly been the OC's team even if inevitably the Lakers would have been much more popular.
Being in Anaheim wouldn't have changed the piss-poor ownership/management that drove fans away. Not sure what your obsession is with that, tbh.

Caltex2
05-05-2015, 08:41 PM
Bad management or not, people in the OC are provincial and territorial. They are connected to but see themselves as separate from LA. I remember an Angel fan calling in to the Jim Rome Show and telling a Dodger after he called in saying he may switch to the Angels that they didn't want him some years back.

We can agree to disagree but there's something to be said for being on your own as opposed to being seen as an inferior undercard.

Another way to look at it is that being in Anaheim would make the difference between the Knicks and Nets, who had their own identity as New Jersey's team despite being a few miles from NYC (and have it now in Brooklyn). Or the Raiders and Niners. Sure one team is vastly more popular but at least they don't completely overshadow the other.

DMC
05-05-2015, 09:30 PM

People want to be associated with a winning team. I'm not talking about the faggots that say they are Lakers fans but never spent a dime on the game. I mean turnstile people, filling seats and such, buying jerseys. What Lakers fan will have a Jordan Hill jersey? You have Blake, Paul and Jordan in the same arena as the Lakers "anon" players, and with the Sterling facade, the Clippers are building a reputation slowly as a serious team. Sterling would never do what's required to win, but Balmer might. New ownership changes everything, and that works for the Clippers and the Lakers.

Caltex2
05-05-2015, 09:39 PM
To each their own but you notice the Clipper fans aren't coming to your defense.