PDA

View Full Version : Wealthy Owners War on Employees (contracted slaves): Commish Threatens Players

boutons_deux
05-04-2015, 09:38 AM
NBA Commissioner Sends Veiled Warning to Players' Union Regarding Labor Deal

If NBA (http://bleacherreport.com/nba) players opt out of the league's labor agreement in 2017, they might find themselves staring at some familiar and unsettling proposals:

a hard salary cap,

shorter contracts,

smaller raises and

perhaps an end to guaranteed contracts.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2452901-nba-commissioner-sends-veiled-warning-to-players-union-about-labor-deal-changes?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=nba

iow, NBA players threatened with being treated like the rest of the USA (non-executive) labor force.

AntiChrist
05-04-2015, 09:41 AM
:cry They don't make enough $$ :cry

Russ
05-04-2015, 10:01 AM
-hxGELpRBBk

cRU5rXsJr1Y

Chinook
05-04-2015, 10:26 AM
I think the majority of NBA players are fools. They let the max guys talk them out of a bunch of money by rejecting the "cap smoothing" proposal the league had. I'm pretty sure they players are going to strike for no good reason.

K...
05-04-2015, 10:39 AM
The players have a competent rep this time. Michelle Roberts. She's been making similar pro players arguments lately, saying you got yours last cba, now it's our turn st the trough. That's why she nixed the cap smoothing because the didn't actually give the players more share, just allowed a different distribution.

I'd say the two sides know the $ is too great to jeopardize, but you have a new player rep and new league rep. Neither can afford to lose. Both parties are smart (assuming owners don't strong arm silver like the do Goodell)

K...
05-04-2015, 10:41 AM
Evidently, neither the economists retained by the players' union nor the player representatives were buying what Silver was selling.
"We spent quite a bit of time as a senior management team trying to evaluate the smoothing proposal that the league presented to us," Roberts told reporters. "We retained the services of two forensic economics teams to advise us on whether the smoothing proposal that the league presented was something the league should consider. Both those entities recommended against adoption of the proposal, and this afternoon, the players, the board of player reps, unanimously voted to reject the proposal."

As Roberts explained, the decision came down to concern that adopting the league's proposal would have a damaging effect on the earning potential of players whose "shelf life" — "and that sounds awful," she granted — "is limited."

"The proposal that the league submitted was — frankly, let's call it that — it was a proposal that would artificially deflate the salary cap," she said. "And that, of course, meant that players' salaries would not increase as much as they would otherwise were it not for smoothing. That pretty much was what killed it. It killed it in the eyes of the economists that made the recommendations, and it killed it in the eyes of the players."

K...
05-04-2015, 10:44 AM
sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/players-union-reps-unanimously-reject-nba-s--cap-smoothing--proposal-012414206.html

I just think she's playing hardball up until negotiations actually start. I'm actually pretty happy with.the players union strategy. It's basic negotiating strategy not to compromise too early.