PDA

View Full Version : Pop's Postseason Reaction

Budkin
05-04-2015, 02:43 PM
Let the speculation begin!

Ron Swanson
05-04-2015, 02:46 PM
Pop, Manu, and Tim are retiring. We're bringing in Scott Brooks as coach. Parker is getting a 5 year extension. 3-79 next season.

coachmac87
05-04-2015, 02:49 PM
Manu is gone...

szkorhetz
05-04-2015, 02:52 PM
Pop, Manu, and Tim are retiring. We're bringing in Scott Brooks as coach. Parker is getting a 5 year extension. 3-79 next season.
I prefer Spo, TBH.

Budkin
05-04-2015, 02:56 PM
As much as we bitch about his decisions we're lucky as shit to have Pop. He's the best.

SpurPadre
05-04-2015, 02:57 PM
As much as we bitch about his decisions we're lucky as shit to have Pop. He's the best.

THIS

SpurPadre
05-04-2015, 02:59 PM
As much gloom and doom that's going around here, we'll still be contenders next year. We may not know how to defend titles but we certainly know how to bounce back from defeat and win titles after title defense failures.

kobyz
05-04-2015, 03:10 PM
So full of himself, fucking loser, he didn't care this season, didn't had motivation, should have step aside for one year and let Messina do the job but he's too proud, he cost us another title, fuck him, he's the worst competitor outside of all coaches!

TDomination
05-04-2015, 03:12 PM
As much gloom and doom that's going around here, we'll still be contenders next year. We may not know how to defend titles but we certainly know how to bounce back from defeat and win titles after title defense failures.

True. Next year we're not defending title. Yay! It means we'll be under the radar and thats when we play better.

Mugen
Pop is still far and away the best coach in the league. Doesn't mean he didn't have the worst series of his career against the Clippers.

Honestly, the more I think about it, he didn't sound like he had the drive for another deep run this year. Probably the same for most of the players. Can't really blame em tbh.

FromWayDowntown
It's really easy to forget where the Spurs were as a franchise before Pop came to the bench.

Think about it this way -- there were 20 NBA seasons for the Spurs before Pop became head coach; those included 4 runs to the conference finals (1979, 1982, 1983, and 1995). In that time, the Spurs won 8 playoff series. Total.

Just in the last 4 seasons (2012-2015) the Spurs have won 9.

Over the first 20 years of the franchise's NBA existence, it participated in 24 total playoff series.

During Pop's reign, the Spurs have won 34 playoff series (and participated in 47).

Tim Duncan is very much the key reason for all of that success, but for all the flak that Pop takes around here, the things that have happened for the Spurs during his tenure are absolutely remarkable and he's been a significant part of making that success happen.

kobyz
05-04-2015, 03:13 PM
True. Next year we're not defending title. Yay! It means we'll be under the radar and thats when we play better.

Cause you have pussy coach!

Floyd Pacquiao
05-04-2015, 03:13 PM
Pop is still far and away the best coach in the league. Doesn't mean he didn't have the worst series of his career against the Clippers.

Honestly, the more I think about it, he didn't sound like he had the drive for another deep run this year. Probably the same for most of the players. Can't really blame em tbh.

Mugen
05-04-2015, 03:14 PM

cantthinkofanything
05-04-2015, 03:15 PM

Maybe time to hang it up then. Or bring in a new coach and just have Pop do the GM stuff.

Mugen
05-04-2015, 03:16 PM
http://img.deseretnews.com/images/article/midres/782452/782452.jpg

timtonymanu
05-04-2015, 03:23 PM

Probably explains the poorly coached series. Cant blame him. Outside of Duncan, Leonard early in the series, and Patty, no one on the team looked right

timmy2003
05-04-2015, 03:29 PM
This is the end

baseline bum
05-04-2015, 03:30 PM

You think? Definitely not without Duncan no matter who they sign. And replacing Ginobili will be a bitch, I mean it doesn't sound like there is any way Manu is back next year.

wildcardX
05-04-2015, 03:35 PM
Two months extra rest this year for all the old and injured guys. Wait, is Parker and/or Manu going to be playing for their country this summer?

SpurPadre
05-04-2015, 03:38 PM
You think? Definitely not without Duncan no matter who they sign. And replacing Ginobili will be a bitch, I mean it doesn't sound like there is any way Manu is back next year.

I have no doubt TD is coming back next season. Manu's replacement will be a bitch but getting Aldridge will more than shore up other problem areas for us and something tells me Manu would at least consider coming back for one of those veteran comes back to play after the ASG type deals that Ray Allen almost did this year.

Russ
05-04-2015, 03:43 PM

If Duncan retires, they're cooked. The odds on that are about 15-1 (against retirement).

Hopefully, Gino will stay. He should give all of his fans (and critics) one year warning before he retires.

The Spurs love to raise the tightrope a little higher each time to cheat their critics. It'll probably happen again.

baseline bum
05-04-2015, 03:44 PM
I have no doubt TD is coming back next season. Manu's replacement will be a bitch but getting Aldridge will more than shore up other problem areas for us and something tells me Manu would at least consider coming back for one of those veteran comes back to play after the ASG type deals that Ray Allen almost did this year.

I'd be shocked to see Manu make a half return like that, nothing about the way he plays suggests he could ever just chill until the middle of the year. And Aldridge would require a salary dump of Splitter for nothing (assuming he'd be easier to move than Diaw). I can't see Portland taking him back in a sign and trade for Aldridge.

BatManu20
05-04-2015, 03:45 PM
Like I said yesterday, I think this team was just out of gas after 3 straight years of making deep runs in the playoffs, including two trips to the Finals. It really is incredibly difficult and mentally fatiguing to do what they've done. I'm not surprised at all we lost in the first round to a really good Clippers team (the best offensive team in the league, statistically speaking) with two stars in their prime. Pushed them to 7 without HCA. It was just time for a break imo.. some much-needed and well-deserved rest.

I also think that losing this early in the playoffs gives us a better chance at making a run next year. It'll still be a long shot, but it gives us a chance at a much longer summer (45 extra days), and gives PATFO more time to try and figure out a game plan.

Of course this all hinges on whether Duncan, Kawhi, and Danny all come back, and we're able to at least somewhat replace Manu's production off the bench. If Tim were to retire along with Manu, then all bets would be off and we'd probably sink to the depths of the Western Conference, tbh.

Skull-1
05-04-2015, 03:45 PM

He needs to come back for the records...

Chillen
05-04-2015, 03:52 PM
Pop, Manu, and Tim are retiring. We're bringing in Scott Brooks as coach.

If Pop retires and Tim and Manu want to comeback, I don't think Scott Brooks would be a bad choice. Of course you cannot replace Pop, so I would much rather he's back with Tim, Manu but if not sign Scotty.

Russ
05-04-2015, 03:54 PM
Of course you cannot replace Pop, so I would much rather he's back with Tim, Manu but if not sign Scotty.

A Bulls fan wants the Spurs to sign Scotty . . .

Chillen
05-04-2015, 03:56 PM

I am a Bulls/Spurs fan, so what's wrong with my comments?

SpurPadre
05-04-2015, 03:59 PM
I'd be shocked to see Manu make a half return like that, nothing about the way he plays suggests he could ever just chill until the middle of the year. And Aldridge would require a salary dump of Splitter for nothing (assuming he'd be easier to move than Diaw). I can't see Portland taking him back in a sign and trade for Aldridge.

Portland tried to get Splitter before

Russ
05-04-2015, 04:01 PM

He reminds them of Sabonis in the salad days.

Russ
05-04-2015, 04:03 PM

You get it, right?

baseline bum
05-04-2015, 04:04 PM

The part about wanting Brooks. What a shit coach who wasted some really stacked rosters running iso crap all the time. Look at what a difference it made in Golden State once Kerr scrapped Mark Jackson's isoball sets.

boutons_deux
05-04-2015, 04:06 PM
Brooks? No!

baseline bum
05-04-2015, 04:07 PM

The Spurs not having the money to bring Aldridge in after paying Duncan gives Portland all the leverage in the world to keep him from walking to San Antonio. No way they want Splitter at the expense of Aldridge.

Chillen
05-04-2015, 04:10 PM
Brooks isn't exactly a sh*t coach (my opinion), but unless Thibs gets fired if the Bulls lose to the Cavs, not sure who else is out there if the day ever came to replace Pop. I do admit I am surprised at how good of a coach Kerr has turned out to be for the Warriors.

Chillen
05-04-2015, 04:10 PM
You get it, right?

Yeah you guys think he sucks donkey balls.

BatManu20
05-04-2015, 04:11 PM
If/when Pop leaves, make Coach Bud an offer he can't refuse and get his pasty ass back to SA, tbh.

baseline bum
05-04-2015, 04:12 PM
Brooks isn't exactly a sh*t coach (my opinion), but unless Thibs gets fired if the Bulls lose to the Cavs, not sure who else is out there if the day ever came to replace Pop. I do admit I am surprised at how good of a coach Kerr has turned out to be for the Warriors.

With a good coach OKC rings in 2012. And maybe 2014 also. They had way too much offensive talent for the simplistic garbage Brooks had them running. It was infuriating to watch the same way it was with Golden State last year.

DarrinS
05-04-2015, 04:14 PM
If Pop retires and Tim and Manu want to comeback, I don't think Scott Brooks would be a bad choice. Of course you cannot replace Pop, so I would much rather he's back with Tim, Manu but if not sign Scotty.

Scott Brooks is terrible

KobeOwnsDuncan
05-04-2015, 04:16 PM
The part about wanting Brooks. What a shit coach who wasted some really stacked rosters running iso crap all the time. Look at what a difference it made in Golden State once Kerr scrapped Mark Jackson's isoball sets.

Alvin Gentry is the real coach of that team

Russ
05-04-2015, 04:18 PM

You get it, right?

Yeah you guys think he sucks donkey balls.

Think harder.

Scotty, Bulls fan, Scotty . . .

Das Texan
05-04-2015, 04:43 PM

ya but i'm convinced duncan returns next year at this point.

replacing manu's production will be a hell of a lot easier than replacing his leadership.

if they sign a big name, they will still be in the hunt next year, hell as long as they have tim duncan on the court they have to be at least mentioned (enjoying this ride for as long as timmy will lead us on it)

boutons_deux
05-04-2015, 05:03 PM
Tim finished the season strong and had a great playoffs. no sign of "the wheels falling off".

Das Texan
05-04-2015, 05:36 PM

I'd kick myself in the balls for days on end if the Spurs ended up with that fucking moron Scott Brooks as our coach.

I'd rather Boylen get the job if it became available.

SpurPadre
05-04-2015, 05:38 PM

Still not sure how good Kerr really is. Was inherited an already-dangerous and young team and cribs a lot from Pop and the Spurs system. He's good no doubt but he's not as good as we may think.

Dre_7
05-04-2015, 05:38 PM
Duncan is not retiring, therefore Pop is not retiring.

TXstbobcat
05-04-2015, 05:41 PM
The Spurs not having the money to bring Aldridge in after paying Duncan gives Portland all the leverage in the world to keep him from walking to San Antonio. No way they want Splitter at the expense of Aldridge.

would the sign and trade of splitter be a possibility if the Blazers find out that LMA is leaving and they might get nothing for him??

Beaverfuzz
05-04-2015, 05:42 PM
Probably explains the poorly coached series. Cant blame him. Outside of Duncan, Leonard early in the series, and Patty, no one on the team looked right

The Pelicans game took it out of this team (or the Cleveland/NY games if you really want to go down that road).

DMX7
05-04-2015, 05:44 PM
Bring in Coach K. He and Pop are both from Chi-town.

baseline bum
05-04-2015, 06:09 PM
would the sign and trade of splitter be a possibility if the Blazers find out that LMA is leaving and they might get nothing for him??

I figure they'd call his bluff then, and say go ahead and go to Dallas.

baseline bum
05-04-2015, 06:10 PM
Still not sure how good Kerr really is. Was inherited an already-dangerous and young team and cribs a lot from Pop and the Spurs system. He's good no doubt but he's not as good as we may think.

Their offense is night and day better with Kerr over Jackson as the only major change from last year, and their defense still stayed as good.

monkeypunk
05-04-2015, 06:12 PM
Don't know why you guys would want LA over Splitter. If Tiago can stay healthy like last year, we are strong defensively. D aint Lamarcus's thing...

SpurPadre
05-04-2015, 06:18 PM
Their offense is night and day better with Kerr over Jackson as the only major change from last year, and their defense still stayed as good.

And they're more disciplined despite still thumping their chests, showboating, and talking shit during and toward the end of games. So, I'll give Kerr credit for actually instilling a game plan instead of making rah-rah speeches and saying "hand down, man down" bullshit.

tholdren
05-04-2015, 06:31 PM
Don't know why you guys would want LA over Splitter. If Tiago can stay healthy like last year, we are strong defensively. D aint Lamarcus's thing...
LMFAO

Ice009
05-04-2015, 08:19 PM

I love defense and usually place it first, second, third, fourth, so yeah, I'm defense first, offense second. Balancing the two is probably the best way to go though. Having a top 5 offense and defense is the best approach IMO. I've come around to offense a lot more these past few seasons. I've never seen a starting big on a Championship team as soft as Splitter is in the post. Guards can shut him down on offense. He's that weak and soft down there a lot of the time. He's shown glimpses of toughness and physical play before down low, but he just never seems to be able to sustain it for more than a few games in a row. I like his defense a lot, but I don't think I can take his weak play down low much longer. Aldridge is a superior post player and he hardly ever goes down there. I'm also not sure I trust Splitter to not be a pussy and sit out tons of games with nagging injuries. I'm also intrigued by how the offense can open up with Aldridge's mid-range jump shot and possible addition of a 3 point shot. I think that would go great with Kawhi and Tim's games.

It's absolute bullshit that Tim still has to carry the big men rotation at his current age. If he comes back, he needs help and not players that he still has to carry. I wasn't too interested in Aldridge because of his not so great defense and lack of post game/willingness to go inside more, but this team really, really needs someone that can help Tim out.

If Tim has to carry the big man rotation again, I don't think he'll come back. I mean, if Splitter decides to sit out again next season with nagging injuries and Tim is again the only big man worth a darn on the roster, I don't think he'd be too excited about having to go through that again. Who knows, if he didn't have to wear himself out in the first two months of the season, he may have been even better in the playoffs than he was. He's that good, but it's not fair to keep asking him to carry the big man rotation at his age.

Bottom line, I'm not happy with Splitter's physical toughness, mental toughness or durability against minor injuries. I do like his defense and like him as a person, but his weak play on the court puts me off.

mkurts
05-04-2015, 08:33 PM
Shitter is worse than Nesterovic, who at least played defense and was tough

Mikeanaro
05-04-2015, 09:06 PM
:lmao
Splitter is 5% the player LA is.

moisaenz
05-04-2015, 09:06 PM
I think spurs can help LMA become a better defender.

Floyd Pacquiao
05-04-2015, 09:10 PM
Did this mother fucker really say Scott brooks would be a good replacement?

tim_duncan_fan
05-04-2015, 09:14 PM
The ride is over.

OMG this sucks.

I hope Tim joins the front office or something. Supposedly, he wants to be near the game, but not on TV.

I think he should be Rudy Gobert's big-man coach...

Spur|n|Austin
05-04-2015, 09:14 PM

Come on dude..

RD2191
05-04-2015, 09:17 PM
Come on dude..
He might have a point. As shitty as our offense was the bigger problem was defense. A healthy Splitter is a force to be reckoned with on the defensive end.

TheGoldStandard
05-04-2015, 09:19 PM
He might have a point. As shitty as our offense was the bigger problem was defense. A healthy Splitter is a force to be reckoned with on the defensive end.

Tiago gives you 30 games a year injury free, the other time he's bleeding from his vag profusely he can't step on the court.

RD2191
05-04-2015, 09:23 PM
Tiago gives you 30 games a year injury free, the other time he's bleeding from his vag profusely he can't step on the court.
While true he's still effective when he plays. Zbo was skullfucking LMA on both sides of the court. Tiago pretty much shuts zbo down. Not to mention his defense on LMA and Dirk during our last title run.

TheGoldStandard
05-04-2015, 09:28 PM
While true he's still effective when he plays. Zbo was skullfucking LMA on both sides of the court. Tiago pretty much shuts zbo down. Not to mention his defense on LMA and Dirk during our last title run.

There is a shortage of help defense in Portland, if Bonner can create problems for Z-bo spurs staff can come up with a way for Aldridge to be effective defensively on the block if he's in that PF position. His offensive prowess is worth the consideration, the fact that he can hit that jumper and spread the floor a little. if Tim comes back thats a potent Hi Lo action.

RD2191
05-04-2015, 09:39 PM
There is a shortage of help defense in Portland, if Bonner can create problems for Z-bo spurs staff can come up with a way for Aldridge to be effective defensively on the block if he's in that PF position. His offensive prowess is worth the consideration, the fact that he can hit that jumper and spread the floor a little. if Tim comes back thats a potent Hi Lo action.
He choked hard in the playoffs though. Like Tony Parker type choke.

TheGoldStandard
05-04-2015, 09:50 PM
He choked hard in the playoffs though. Like Tony Parker type choke.

I understand where you're coming from but you gotta think of the players around you that can ease the pressure when you're forced to play 40 minutes a game next to Chris Kaman and Robin Lopez you're going to have some seriously shitty nights against premier bigs in the west especially memphis but consider who else he plays against in the West. He can get his against LAC, GS and OKC and I don't see him taking 25 shots a game or playing 35 minutes on average under the Spurs.

phxspurfan
05-04-2015, 10:04 PM
10:20 on TP: "I can tell you he already knows what he wants to do...with his body...for next season"

http://www.tacocabana.com/files/breakfast-1.jpg