PDA

View Full Version : One last Q&A with Gregg Popovich (mySA)

Spur|n|Austin
05-04-2015, 03:25 PM
No Spurs players were made available for interviews on Monday as the team broke up for the summer following its elimination from the playoffs by the L.A. Clippers. What the assembled media at 1 Spurs Lane got instead was a 14-minute session with coach Gregg Popovich in his last availability of the 2014-15 season.

You have always maintained no team wins a title unless fully healthy for playoffs. Did you feel your team entered playoffs a little bit behind in that regard?

“I almost hesitate to answer that question because it sounds like an excuse but nobody wins a championship every year. Everybody wants to win one. Very few do. The bottom line was it was a real difficult year for us in a lot of ways but injury and schedule coincided to put us behind the eight ball a little bit. We recovered at the end of the year, had to dig down pretty deep to finish as well as we did and I think going into playoffs we certainly weren’t as healthy as we wanted to be in a few different cases.

“During the first round we needed to get some better performances from three or four people, very frankly. But that happens. When you do you win championships. The year we lost to Miami we didn’t have more than maybe two people who had real consistent play and Miami had four or five guys that were really on top of their games. The following year they had a couple and we had four or five guys on top of their games, fully healthy.

“That’s what it takes. But I think our guys gave it a great shot and considering the run they’ve been on, both long-term for decades and the last three years with Conference Finals, Finals, Finals that takes a toll. It’s hard to do and then followed by a pretty difficult year this year I don’t think we were as sharp, mentally and certainly physically, as we have been in the past. Given that I was really proud of them, especially in Game 7, the way they came back and dug down deep. It’s a great group and the run has been wonderful.”

Even with all those struggles was there ever a point in the year, especially late when you started to rip off some wins, that you felt you had gotten to the point you needed to be at to have a chance to win another title?

“Yeah, just before Tiago got hurt again. We got him back and we had our lineup. We were healthy and made that run down the stretch and then he got hurt again and went down. Then we didn’t get him back until the beginning of the playoffs and I thought that really hurt us, rotation-wise and health-wise.
“To go all the way a lot of things have to go in your favor. It could be a ref’s call. It could be an injury, it could be somebody having a great night. It’s very difficult to do.”

Read More: http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2015/05/04/one-last-qa-with-gregg-popovich/#32561101=0

Arc
05-04-2015, 04:12 PM
Will the offseason be pretty big for Tony, just to heal up?
“I think so. Tony didn’t have the year he wanted to have. He’s had a lot of good ones. I can tell you he’s already thinking about what he wants to do with his body for next season. So I’m thrilled about his outlook already after a tough loss.”

parker haters gonna eat shit next year when he comes back healthy and in shape.

BillMc
05-04-2015, 04:14 PM
Very interesting. Thanks for posting.:toast

DarrinS
05-04-2015, 04:18 PM

He can still help the team in the reg season :lol

Robz4000
05-04-2015, 04:19 PM

Of course he knows what he wants to do with his shape: make it round.

Mikeanaro
05-04-2015, 04:20 PM
Of course he knows what he wants to do with his shape: make it round.

:lmao

baseline bum
05-04-2015, 04:22 PM

Who gives a fuck how he comes back next year if Duncan retires? He shouldn't have gotten fat this year when the team had a chance to win a title.

Mikeanaro
05-04-2015, 04:22 PM
Stop looking for excuses, he´s been shit last season too with no national team.

boutons_deux
05-04-2015, 04:25 PM
Pop making lots of sense. So much has to line up just right to win a ring.

Health was somewhat of a problem this year, but I think mentally, emotionally was a much bigger impediment, whereas in 2015, mentally and emotionally the Spurs were SO ready and able.

Game6 had VERY LONG TAIL.

Sports at the top is always mental first, physical lower.

Even during the win streak up to NOR, Spurs didn't look that good, as Sean said a few times.

Brazil
05-04-2015, 04:42 PM
nice read...

this quote is interesting:

Do you see a scenario where he (Duncan) returns?
“We haven’t talked yet about that. We’ve got a pretty good number of free agents so with R.C. and the coaches and the group we’ve talked about what we want to do going forward with the makeup of the team but the team will probably look considerably different than it looks this year because we have so many free agents and we want to re-tool a little bit.

MultiTroll
05-04-2015, 04:44 PM
The year we lost to Miami we didn’t have more than maybe two people who had real consistent play and Miami had four or five guys that were really on top of their games. The following year they had a couple and we had four or five guys on top of their games, fully healthy.
Ya right, the Miami choke was due to the players. :rolleyes
Way to own up with a POS excuse.

RD2191
05-04-2015, 04:46 PM
nice read...

“We haven’t talked yet about that. We’ve got a pretty good number of free agents so with R.C. and the coaches and the group we’ve talked about what we want to do going forward with the makeup of the team but the team will probably look considerably different than it looks this year because we have so many free agents and we want to re-tool a little bit.
dang

baseline bum
05-04-2015, 04:47 PM
Ya right, the Miami choke was due to the players. :rolleyes
Way to own up with a POS excuse.

I still can't believe the flak Pop gets for benching Duncan. Tim can't move laterally and chase three point shooters, and Diaw was better in that situation all season. As a coach you don't make the emotional decision based on Tim being a legend, you go with what works. Miami got the luckiest 28 seconds in the history of the NBA to force OT.

Arc
05-04-2015, 04:49 PM
Who gives a fuck how he comes back next year if Duncan retires? He shouldn't have gotten fat this year when the team had a chance to win a title.

did we really have a chance though? it wasn't just parker's fault we lost, though i know a lot of you want to place the blame on him. danny missed a lot of wide open 3s. kawhii regressed offensively, and was terrible defensively. manu was better off not playing at all tbh. even pop's coaching was shitty. the team was drained from going deep into the playoffs 3 years in a row. duncan wasn't, but that's why he's the GOAT.

duncan probably won't retire. he's playing too good, and you can tell he wants to keep playing as long as he can cause he loves the game. getting knocked out in the first round might actually be a blessing, cause now the team can have a longer rest.

if parker can come back healthy and in shape, duncan comes back, leonard becomes more consistent, we re-tool a little and bring in some hungry dudes, maybe even get lucky and get LMA. we're gonna have a much higher chance to win it all next year compared to this year.

MultiTroll
05-04-2015, 04:51 PM
^^ nope baseline bum. When the ball was in the air on both the LeBron miss (with 35 seconds or so) and the Bosh miss (with 6 seconds) the Spurs perimeter defenders had NO reason to go for the rebound. Should have stayed glued to their men. A 2 pointer was meaningless.

Parker leaving Ray Allen to chase a rebound is one of the all time sports screw ups.

baseline bum
05-04-2015, 05:00 PM
^^ nope baseline bum. When the ball was in the air on both the LeBron miss (with 35 seconds or so) and the Bosh miss (with 6 seconds) the Spurs perimeter defenders had NO reason to go for the rebound. Should have stayed glued to their men. A 2 pointer was meaningless.

Parker leaving Ray Allen to chase a rebound is one of the all time sports screw ups.

You're remembering that wrong. Parker was contesting LeBron's three, Green was on Allen, Ginobili got in Green's way on the rebound and then fell over, blocking Green's and Leonard's paths to pick Allen up as he ran back to the three point line. Parker saw it happening and ran from the left elbow to pick Allen up when the rebound off LeBron's miss was in the air but Bosh's pass beat Parker to the spot.

Spur|n|Austin
05-04-2015, 05:06 PM

:lol still bitching about 2013 after 6

RandomGuy
05-04-2015, 05:09 PM
I still can't believe the flak Pop gets for benching Duncan. Tim can't move laterally and chase three point shooters, and Diaw was better in that situation all season. As a coach you don't make the emotional decision based on Tim being a legend, you go with what works. Miami got the luckiest 28 seconds in the history of the NBA to force OT.

Kinda wonder if that isn't the bit that makes the big D finally want to hang it up and go swimming. You never know what goes into that kind of decision, or what little stone tilts the scales. Can't imagine what Timmy would do in retirement. Get himself a woodshop and make artisan furniture?

Dex
05-04-2015, 05:11 PM

That's what we said after last offseason and he was even more banged up this year.

I love what a healthy, effective Tony Parker does for this team, but it's been so long at this point, I'll believe it when I see it.

baseline bum
05-04-2015, 05:13 PM
Kinda wonder if that isn't the bit that makes the big D finally want to hang it up and go swimming. You never know what goes into that kind of decision, or what little stone tilts the scales. Can't imagine what Timmy would do in retirement. Get himself a woodshop and make artisan furniture?

Pop did it all season because it was a better lineup against the three with Diaw vs Duncan. Hell, he just did it in the Clippers series too and it was the right call there also.

Mikeanaro
05-04-2015, 05:16 PM
dang
Yeah, now we can get back Jefferson, Blair and Hill.:flag:

AFBlue
05-04-2015, 05:33 PM
Pop saying the team will retool is interesting. With all the chatter around Aldridge (and earlier around M. Gasol), it would seem like the mantra from last season to stand pat (with the exception of going after P. Gasol) will not carry over to this year.

Should be a fun and entertaining offseason!

Beaverfuzz
05-04-2015, 05:45 PM
nice read...

Ayers probably gone, Bonner gone, Green possibly gone, Manu most likely gone, Williams gone. That's five right there bare minimum.

05-04-2015, 05:54 PM
We’ve never put the organization in a situation where they’re paying a ridiculous amount of money for no value.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/04/Richard_Jefferson_Spurs.jpg

And I'll let the Parker trolls handle the commencement of the Parker bashing.

Beaverfuzz
05-04-2015, 05:57 PM
Yeah, now we can get back Jefferson, Blair and Hill.:flag:

Can the Spurs take back Jefferson and just clone him 12 more times? That would be awesome.

RD2191
05-04-2015, 06:01 PM
did we really have a chance though? it wasn't just parker's fault we lost, though i know a lot of you want to place the blame on him. danny missed a lot of wide open 3s. kawhii regressed offensively, and was terrible defensively. manu was better off not playing at all tbh. even pop's coaching was shitty. the team was drained from going deep into the playoffs 3 years in a row. duncan wasn't, but that's why he's the GOAT.

duncan probably won't retire. he's playing too good, and you can tell he wants to keep playing as long as he can cause he loves the game. getting knocked out in the first round might actually be a blessing, cause now the team can have a longer rest.

if parker can come back healthy and in shape, duncan comes back, leonard becomes more consistent, we re-tool a little and bring in some hungry dudes, maybe even get lucky and get LMA. we're gonna have a much higher chance to win it all next year compared to this year.
:lolstay off the drugs

SpurPadre
05-04-2015, 06:03 PM

They're gonna eat shit while watching TP fuck their wives, tbh.

SpurPadre
05-04-2015, 06:08 PM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/04/Richard_Jefferson_Spurs.jpg

And I'll let the Parker trolls handle the commencement of the Parker bashing.

I got another example of this:

http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/.element/img/2.0/sect/statscube/players/large/matt_bonner.png

I mean, they could've just gotten a $5 footlong at Subway for the same value.

The Reckoning
05-04-2015, 06:10 PM
RC don't give a fuck. He'll dish off parker like he did Pop's favorite player.

spursparker9
05-04-2015, 06:34 PM
Why the players are not available for exit interviews?

I thought previous years there are?

SpurPadre
05-04-2015, 06:35 PM
Who's a goner: CoJo, Baynes (especially after his drunk display), Bonner (I will celebrate like we won the title with that), Ayres, and Reggie...and Splitter via sign and trade for Aldridge. Of course, I'm hoping with the latter (no offense to Tiago) and Bonner may indeed be permanently attached to this franchise unfortunately. But even if we keep Splitter and don't get Aldridge, those are significant number of players to replace. And Manu could come back and all these factors could still make Pop's comments ring true. As for Green, it's a toss up. I'd say he either goes to New York or the Cavs if he leaves. Something tells me he'd take a little less to play for us if he knew both TD and Manu would stay (or comes back after the ASG). As for Marco, I think his ballsy play in the series earned him another go-round with the team but who knows? It's gonna be an interesting offseason and maybe even fun...hope so.

Malik Hairston
05-04-2015, 06:39 PM
Only 3 things that would surprise me: Duncan retires, Manu doesn't retire, Beli stays..

Green is a toss-up, Cojo is a toss-up, I could see the Aldridge thing going either way, etc..

Malik Hairston
05-04-2015, 06:40 PM
I would completely understand if Green wants to join a team with playmakers to create looks for him, rather than the uncertainty of this Spurs team with Diaw as the only playmaker post-Manu, but joining the Knicks would just be career suicide:lol..going from the Spurs structured offense to the terrible, Carmelo-oriented, cancerous Knicks system would probably induce suicide..

TheGoldStandard
05-04-2015, 07:23 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Jeff Ayres is back and he's the reason we can't sign a decent FA

Mikeanaro
05-04-2015, 07:24 PM
Can the Spurs take back Jefferson and just clone him 12 more times? That would be awesome.
:lmao
With the advanced technology we have nowadays thats very possible.

wildbill2u
05-04-2015, 09:20 PM
First I heard that Spurs fans were out in force when their plane came in. Thats old school fandom. I doubt many of the player fans from Spurs Talk were there as the idea of supporting an entire team seems to be beyond their comprehension.

Taking it to the Hole
05-04-2015, 10:15 PM
I would completely understand if Green wants to join a team with playmakers to create looks for him, rather than the uncertainty of this Spurs team with Diaw as the only playmaker post-Manu, but joining the Knicks would just be career suicide:lol..going from the Spurs structured offense to the terrible, Carmelo-oriented, cancerous Knicks system would probably induce suicide..

I really don't see Green staying with us. As much as I would like him to stay and would miss his shooting, he is more than likely going to take his chances in signing with a team that is needing a decent perimeter defender and solid shooting. Unfortunately, I really don't see him getting as many "quality" shots as he received playing in the Spurs system. He is going to get the opportunity to shoot but I doubt even on a team with scorers he is going to be a man on an island looking for the ball to find his way to him.

100%duncan
05-05-2015, 12:11 AM
Pop :cry

ducks
05-05-2015, 12:20 AM
nice read...

Pop cia to alridge

kaji157
05-05-2015, 12:36 AM
Great read. As I thought this team was not healthy.
In equal conditions this team would beat the clips any day.

tim_duncan_fan
05-05-2015, 01:01 AM
This article has me fucking hyped. As scary as change is...there is a certain thrill, a certain excitability that comes with uncertainty.

Sean Cagney
05-05-2015, 01:04 AM
Pop saying the team will retool is interesting. With all the chatter around Aldridge (and earlier around M. Gasol), it would seem like the mantra from last season to stand pat (with the exception of going after P. Gasol) will not carry over to this year.

Should be a fun and entertaining offseason!

Either that or just a load of rumors and not much else after that. I can see the 100 page interested in threads now though :lol
This article has me fucking hyped. As scary as change is...there is a certain thrill, a certain excitability that comes with uncertainty.

Change has to happen sooner or later, better now than later on.

tim_duncan_fan
05-05-2015, 01:31 AM
Change has to happen sooner or later, better now than later on.
Most definitely. And this write-up has me looking forward to that change. As long as Pop, RC and co can maintain the culture, things should never be too bad and we should have potential for greatness.

101A
05-05-2015, 07:49 AM
Pop DID throw the New Orleans game. With the Spurs it's title or bust. If they couldn't get past Clips in Rd. 1, they weren't winning the 'ship. Might as well go on vacation early - there is not extra moral victory in making it to the WCF. Also, it improves drafting position. By losing in Rd. 1, the off-season is nearly TWICE as long as it has been for the past three seasons. Without Tiago, and then Tony, healthy this team COULD NOT win a ring - no point in prolonging the inevitable.

Looking forward to an interesting off-season, and next season.

Johnny RIngo
05-05-2015, 08:07 AM

:lol this guy still slurping Enrique after he had the worst playoffs in Spur history

Johnny RIngo
05-05-2015, 08:09 AM
Pop DID throw the New Orleans game. With the Spurs it's title or bust. If they couldn't get past Clips in Rd. 1, they weren't winning the 'ship. Might as well go on vacation early - there is not extra moral victory in making it to the WCF. Also, it improves drafting position. By losing in Rd. 1, the off-season is nearly TWICE as long as it has been for the past three seasons. Without Tiago, and then Tony, healthy this team COULD NOT win a ring - no point in prolonging the inevitable.

Looking forward to an interesting off-season, and next season.

they actually lost the coin toss to the Grizzlies unfortunately. Memphis gets a higher seed AND a better draft pick.

rmt
05-05-2015, 08:30 AM
“R.C. and his group have always done a great job of doing things, both frugally and with class. If money needs to be spent, it’s spent. But it’s never done unwisely. We’ve never put the organization in a situation where they’re paying a ridiculous amount of money for no value. My complete faith and trust in R.C. is never going to change, because of the track record he has, thinking not just for the next year and the next two years, but the next three years, the next seven years, that type of thing.”

Parker's contract will put a strangle hold on getting quality free agents and wth was Richard Jefferson. Can't for the life of me figure out why a 36 year old who depends on speed should get $15million a year. Sounds like Pop knew they just didn't have it mentally/emotionally in them and was glad for the early vacation. I just thought that the series was so close that if he had played Mills more/Parker less and Green always on Paul, it might have made the difference. As far as the other series, everyone seems to fear GSW, but I think that natural order would be restored there - Kwahi on Thompson/Iggy and Green on Curry - no chance of Pop messing that up.

Hopefully, Ayers, Bonner and Williams are gone. Manu signs for vet's min. TD signs for less. They get an athletic/stretch 4. Priorities are to bring back Leonard and Green at all cost. Belli hopefully for Mills money. Rest up and come back refreshed for one more run. The most important thing are that Duncan looks like he can go another 2 years and Pop talking like Leonard is coming back FOR SURE.

Arc
05-05-2015, 06:57 PM
:lol this guy still slurping Enrique after he had the worst playoffs in Spur history

stop being a short bus cuck.

tholdren
05-05-2015, 08:40 PM
“R.C. and his group have always done a great job of doing things, both frugally and with class. If money needs to be spent, it’s spent. But it’s never done unwisely. We’ve never put the organization in a situation where they’re paying a ridiculous amount of money for no value. My complete faith and trust in R.C. is never going to change, because of the track record he has, thinking not just for the next year and the next two years, but the next three years, the next seven years, that type of thing.”

Parker's contract will put a strangle hold on getting quality free agents and wth was Richard Jefferson. Can't for the life of me figure out why a 36 year old who depends on speed should get $15million a year. Sounds like Pop knew they just didn't have it mentally/emotionally in them and was glad for the early vacation. I just thought that the series was so close that if he had played Mills more/Parker less and Green always on Paul, it might have made the difference. As far as the other series, everyone seems to fear GSW, but I think that natural order would be restored there - Kwahi on Thompson/Iggy and Green on Curry - no chance of Pop messing that up.

Hopefully, Ayers, Bonner and Williams are gone. Manu signs for vet's min. TD signs for less. They get an athletic/stretch 4. Priorities are to bring back Leonard and Green at all cost. Belli hopefully for Mills money. Rest up and come back refreshed for one more run. The most important thing are that Duncan looks like he can go another 2 years and Pop talking like Leonard is coming back FOR SURE.

Well you cant trust Pop, because RC choked the hell out of the Spurs with his mismanagement of the TP deal - should have signed and traded tbh. Pop or RC dont have the balls, you saw it when they spent a year with GHill and had a hard time pulling the trigger with him - you saw it with Finley and McDyess -

Truth be told, Leonard should have lost his max deal with the choke playoff, mills should get a shit ton more, and danny/tony/tiago should be cut

Perry Mason
05-06-2015, 07:28 AM

What are you on about? Danny had tons of open looks all season and in the first round. In the Playoffs he just didn't knock down the shots consistently. Outside of Patty, Beli and TD, no one really was.

jag
05-06-2015, 07:54 AM

This is borderline retarded. It's right up there with "the Spurs will win if Kawhi gets more 20-ft, turnaround jumpers."

Parker played like shit during most of the season and wasnt a good playmaker... and Danny broke the Spurs' single-season record for 3-pointers made. Even with Parker playing like shit in the 1st Round (and his inability to create penetration) and Manu not getting any minutes, Danny got a crazy number of open looks.

therealtruth
05-06-2015, 05:18 PM
Monty Williams and Dell Demps owe Pop big time. Saved their jobs.

The key with DG and any shooter slumping on their outside shooting is to get them easy baskets like layups. We need more guys who can create easy baskets and not just 3pt shots.

jjktkk
05-06-2015, 07:16 PM
Monty Williams and Dell Demps owe Pop big time. Saved their jobs.

The key with DG and any shooter slumping on their outside shooting is to get them easy baskets like layups. We need more guys who can create easy baskets and not just 3pt shots.

You realize that acquiring "more guys who can create baskets", is pretty difficult, considering every team wants/ needs playmakers who can create easy baskets for themselves and their teammates. Not a lot of them out there.