View Full Version : Tony Parker: "Miami may have too many stars"

ducks
09-08-2005, 12:34 AM
HoopsHype.com - Tony Parker: "Miami may have too many stars"
HoopsHype.com Interviews

Tony Parker: "Miami may have too many stars"
by Raul Barrigon / September 7, 2005

What comes to your mind when you hear the word "dynasty?"

Tony Parker: I know what you're talking about. We're going to try to be that. Of course we will. We are aware that the back-to-back is a difficult task, but I think we have the team to do it. I am 23, Manu is 28 and Timmy is 29. So if we can keep the core of our team together, we can win another two or three rings.

How do you feel about the moves the Spurs have made this summer?

TP: I think that the most important move made by our team was re-signing Robert Horry. It was also important to sign Oberto… Anyway, we have a very strong frontcourt right now. In the backcourt, there is Manu and me... Nick and Michael Finley will be very helpful. And Beno Udrih had a good year as a rookie although he didn't play very well in the Finals.

We saw how angry Gregg Popovich got with him...

TP: Well... You know, Popovich is a tough coach – especially with the rookies. Gregg is a great one and I know Beno is going to improve this year. Brent Barry had to handle a lot of pressure last year and now will do better too.

What do you think about the moves of the other contenders?

TP: I think Phoenix has improved, but only in a way... Now they are stronger, but I am not sure if they are better. They are better on the defensive end, but I feel that they are a worse team on the offensive end. In Miami, they have signed a lot of stars. Maybe too many. Shaq, Wade, plus Antoine Walker and Jason Williams… Damon Jones was a good fit because he only shot threes. Now with Williams on board, the thing can go out of control. But who knows? Maybe I'm wrong. By the way, Detroit is still a very good team. I think the contenders are still the same.

What does it mean for you to play with France in the Eurobasket?

TP: This is a big thing for me. I've been playing for my country since I was 14. I have a lot of good memories, like the time when we won the Under 18 European Championship. I hope we can keep winning with the National Team this year!

You dream about the gold medal?

TP: My dream was to play in the NBA. Now that I've won another ring, I want to play in the All-Star… But for now, it's all about France. I am willing to be involved with the French team. There are times when it's hard to focus on something. For example, right now we have to play a lot of friendly games... At least Spain is a good place to stay. Better than Slovenia.

You return to the National Team two years later. How do you feel about it?

TP: Very happy. Really. Playing for France is very important for me. Right now, I'm a little bit tired. You have to consider that I've played 110 games with the San Antonio Spurs this season... So with this friendly games, my goal is just to feel ready and 100 percent when the European Championship begins.

Did you find any problem with the Spurs because of your intention to play in the Eurobasket?

TP: The fact is I did. Gregg didn't like it. Obviously he's looking for the best for the franchise. But we spoke and I told him how important for me was to lead the National Team to the World Championship. In my career, I want to play the World Championship and the Olympic Games at least once each. As for the medals, I think the favorites in this tournament are Serbia and Lithuania.

Orlando's first-round pick Fran Vazquez chose to remain in Europe instead of going to the NBA. What do you think about that?

TP: That's his call. Maybe playing in the NBA wasn't his dream. For most players playing there is the biggest thing. But, well, maybe Fran feels great in Europe and wants to stay in Spain with his family and friends... I don't know and I don't think I should judge his decision. Personally, my dream was to play in the NBA. And after four years and two rings... What can I tell you? I feel so good.

Raul Barrigon writes for Gigantes and is a regular contributor to HoopsHype.com

Tell us what you think about this interview. E-mail us at [email protected]

milkyway21
09-08-2005, 12:53 AM
. Right now, I'm a little bit tired. You have to consider that I've played 110 games with the San Antonio Spurs this season... So with this friendly games, my goal is just to feel ready and 100 percent when the European Championship begins.

Tony, tired? and the European Championship has not begun yet? When would that be?

I was hoping TP would say he's trying to get ready for the new NBA season:rolleyes

MaNuMaNiAc
09-08-2005, 01:01 AM
At least Spain is a good place to stay. Better than Slovenia
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_25.gif OUCH!, that's got to sting...

xcoriate
09-08-2005, 01:54 AM
At least Spain is a good place to stay. Better than Slovenia.

Beno Udrih had a good year as a rookie although he didn't play very well in the Finals.

:lol Tony is taking it to Slovenia. Has France played them yet?

TDMVPDPOY
09-08-2005, 01:56 AM
fuck fat tony, pops goin to bust a cap in his ass if his not ready when season starts.

xcoriate
09-08-2005, 02:02 AM
Your hilarious buddy....

no really.

Tek_XX
09-08-2005, 02:03 AM
well good thing we have a solid backup

xcoriate
09-08-2005, 02:06 AM
We have 3 solid backups :)

NVE
Udrih
Barry

If there all injured were screwed anway but......

Manu

timvp
09-08-2005, 02:33 AM
I'm sure what Parker said wasn't as harsh as it seems here. Obviously the interview was done in French and then translated to English.

Funny things can happen in translation. Slovenia shouldn't be worried.

Slo spurs fan
09-08-2005, 04:31 AM
At least Spain is a good place to stay. Better than Slovenia. :flipoff

See ya in September 18th motha fucka! :drunk

j/k (or maybe not :devil )

~Chris~
09-08-2005, 04:49 AM
It's missing a few "Ya know, uhh.."'s in the mix... timvp's right, funny things happen in translations.

Walton Buys Off Me
09-08-2005, 06:09 AM
Two things nobody will ever excuse Tony Parker of being; clutch or intelligent.

fonzy16
09-08-2005, 07:20 AM
Yeah! 18th September. TP better be ready to be owned. By Slovenia!
:elephant Im soooo looking forward to this game!

1Parker1
09-08-2005, 08:02 AM

:lol The guy is 23 years old and will be making around $64 mil over the next couple of years.....yea he sure is a dumbass.

Now with Williams on board, the thing can go out of control.

:lol Well, at least he's honest....

ploto
09-08-2005, 08:25 AM
TP better be ready to be owned. By Slovenia!
TP better be ready to be owned by Beno!!

Tony seems to have forgotten Game 2 of the Finals when he was in foul trouble and Beno played a great second half.

Walton Buys Off Me
09-08-2005, 08:29 AM
The guy is 23 years old and will be making around $64 mil over the next couple of years.....yea he sure is a dumbass.

And if he doesn't pick up his game and prove he's worth the contract, he'll go from winning championships with the best team on the planet to playing in front of 68 fans in Atlanta......

Tony talks a big game for a kid that has marginally improved in four years. He should just shut up, finish this European crap and get ready for the season. By the sounds of it, he'll be watching Nick Van Exel close out games anyways......

Admidave50
09-08-2005, 08:34 AM
:lol The guy is 23 years old and will be making around $64 mil over the next couple of years.....yea he sure is a dumbass.

And he's going out with the sexiest girl of the moment! damn

I think you guys are getting too excited for nothing.. TP is just saying that Spain
is a nicer place than Slovenia which is kinda true..
He prefers Spain's Sun & Beaches, for European people Spain is one of the best place for vacation! :elephant

1Parker1
09-08-2005, 08:37 AM
And if he doesn't pick up his game and prove he's worth the contract, he'll go from winning championships with the best team on the planet to playing in front of 68 fans in Atlanta......

Tony talks a big game for a kid that has marginally improved in four years. He should just shut up, finish this European crap and get ready for the season. By the sounds of it, he'll be watching Nick Van Exel close out games anyways......

I'm not even going to bother with the stats that completely dispute your "Tony Parker has only marginally improved the past 4 years" Anyone with half a brain can see that he has improved some aspect of his game every season the past 4 years.

And just who do you think the Spurs would trade for him in Atlanta? The only PG's the Spurs would consider trading Parker for would probably be Billups (who's under contract), Nash(under contract), and Kidd (who clearly doesn't want to come here).

Get over the hate.......it's getting old, fast.

1Parker1
09-08-2005, 08:38 AM
And he's going out with the sexiest girl of the moment! damn

:lol Oh yea, that too. Walton, I'm begining to think you're hatred for Parker stems from pure jealousy :angel

Kip Fanatic
09-08-2005, 08:52 AM
I'm sure some of the things he said were translated incorrectly. He isn't the brightest bulb and his English isn't the best, but he doesn't mean any harm. People in this forum can be so sensitive. He can't be too dumb though. As you all stated earlier, he is making over $60 mil and is dating a very sexy Hispanic and is probably messing around with some other hot girls right now.

Walton Buys Off Me
09-08-2005, 08:59 AM
I'm not even going to bother with the stats that completely dispute your "Tony Parker has only marginally improved the past 4 years" Anyone with half a brain can see that he has improved some aspect of his game every season the past 4 years

Finals in 2003- benched in favor of Speedy Claxton
Finals in 2005- pulled two minutes into game seven by Pop for playing like a high school kid. Go back and look at video of the second half of game 7- Parker looked like dear in the headlights.

I rest my case.

SPARKY
09-08-2005, 09:33 AM
Finals in 2005 - played stellar defense, including sticking on Rip Hamilton like white on rice as time ran down at the end of Game 5, forcing Rip into a horrible shot.

Just go.

Summers
09-08-2005, 09:33 AM
Does he really call Pop "Gregg"?

1Parker1
09-08-2005, 10:14 AM
Does he really call Pop "Gregg"?

:lol I was thinking that also when I read it.

wildbill2u
09-08-2005, 10:15 AM
The thing that was scary in this interview was him talking about being tired after playing so many games--with more to come in Europe this summer.

How can he not realize that his first obligation is to his Spurs team and profession? Sometime during the regular season he's gonna run out of gas and there will be a big controversy about whether he should be benched.

K-9
09-08-2005, 10:44 AM
I've watched Tony Parker play in the past...in the finals, in the playoffs...I've done this as a mavericks fan and when you are a fan of another team you have a different perspective. (for the record, I broke up with the Mavs when they let Finley go) Tony is extremely fast and a hell of a penetrator. The only thing I see him lacking is a deadly outside shot.
And for Tony to play in the European Championship? I think that's only good. Sure he is tired...but what better way is there to keep sharp during the offseason but play good basketball? And I would love to represent my country if I ever had the chance so I understand that he wants to. Besides now that Nick is on board and Beno improving Parker can get more rest during the regular season. I see good things for the Spurs this coming season.

1Parker1
09-08-2005, 10:46 AM
I've watched Tony Parker play in the past...in the finals, in the playoffs...I've done this as a mavericks fan and when you are a fan of another team you have a different perspective. (for the record, I broke up with the Mavs when they let Finley go) Tony is extremely fast and a hell of a penetrator. The only thing I see him lacking is a deadly outside shot.
And for Tony to play in the European Championship? I think that's only good. Sure he is tired...but what better way is there to keep sharp during the offseason but play good basketball? And I would love to represent my country if I ever had the chance so I understand that he wants to. Besides now that Nick is on board and Beno improving Parker can get more rest during the regular season. I see good things for the Spurs this coming season.

:tu See? Even a former Mavs fan gets it!

SenorSpur
09-08-2005, 11:03 AM

Welcome K-9,

Though I'm curious. Would you have jumped onto the Spurs bandwagon if Finley had signed somewhere other than S.A.?

50 cent
09-08-2005, 12:06 PM
Walton, you are an idiot. The Spurs will not trade Tony regardless. Billups might is probably the only player they would ever consider trading him for.

Even a Mavs fan gets it, the only thing he is lacking is a consistent jump shot and Chip is working with him on that right now. TP will be a consistent top 3 PG in the league over the next 5-7 years as Nash starts to fade into his latter years.

yeahone
09-08-2005, 04:45 PM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_25.gif OUCH!, that's got to sting...

i think tony might have offended some slovenians on the board.

yeahone
09-08-2005, 04:57 PM
fuck fat tony, pops goin to bust a cap in his ass if his not ready when season starts.

remember that we got a strong,,back court now... and why do you people agaainst tony palying for his national team when timmy and manu did so last year..

yeahone
09-08-2005, 05:03 PM
Finals in 2005- pulled two minutes into game seven by Pop for playing like a high school kid. Go back and look at video of the second half of game 7- Parker looked like dear in the headlights.

I rest my case.

:oops

Sense
09-08-2005, 05:08 PM

Clutch? Maybe not in the playoffs...
Intelligent?

Well he might not be, for what 1parker1 said...he's just 23, and he has 2 championship rings, one of the hottest girls in America at this time, and alot of money...

So guess what?

He doesn't need to be smart to have a better life than you.

ducks
09-08-2005, 05:22 PM
yeah tp has hit only a few game winner shots

I witnessed in person his game winner against the suns in phoenix 2 years ago
also he hit a game winner against the jazz
and his overtime production against the gs were not clutch at all

milkyway21
09-08-2005, 09:53 PM

I rest my case.while some was convinced after game 2 we could sweep the Pistons, he was the HIGHEST scorer(21pts.), in game 3 loss in the last finals in Detroit :D along with Barry's big performance(10pts in 21min),bec Manu was closely guarded and made only 7 pts. But it was a loss so he was not a hero.

This guy choked sometimes but he is sure underrated. And that's a disappointment. :rolleyes

i just hope Beno/Rasho(Slovenia) & TP(France) will just take it easy & start the season injury-free. Or we could face Miami in Oct 10 with Brent or NVE as starting PGs.

z0sa
09-08-2005, 09:57 PM
Tony Parker is only going to get better, especially with Van Exel on board and the new shooting coach. Never forget the first two games against the lakers in 04 where he scored 50+ points and had some amazing assists. He was even shooting and hitting three pointers! Thats exactly how he could be playing all the time, he just needs a little confidence. I think soon he will be one of the top 3 in the league.

Mark in Austin
09-08-2005, 10:25 PM

I rest my case.
:blah

Players with the Deer in the headlights look come playoff time (Keith Van Horrible is a great example) rarely turn in defensive gems in game sevens of the NBA finals. You do realize that nobody scored on Parker until the final hundred seconds or so of the game, right?

Detriot has the two best defensive points in the league right now in Billups and Hunter. Parker might already be number three.

angel_luv
09-08-2005, 10:38 PM
Yeah! 18th September. TP better be ready to be owned. By Slovenia!
:elephant Im soooo looking forward to this game!

That's what I am talking about! = )

milkyway21
09-09-2005, 02:09 AM
That's what I am talking about! = ) :lmao

hey angel luv, take a peek on this NBA celebration photo of TD and the Spurs in the last finals...
notice Rasho at the back? cool :smokin

http://msn.foxsports.com/id/4848230_36_1.jpg

angel_luv
09-09-2005, 07:01 AM
:lmao

hey angel luv, take a peek on this NBA celebration photo of TD and the Spurs in the last finals...
notice Rasho at the back? cool :smokin

http://msn.foxsports.com/id/4848230_36_1.jpg

Lookin good as always, Baby!

ObiwanGinobili
09-09-2005, 07:59 AM
For example, right now we have to play a lot of friendly games... At least Spain is a good place to stay. Better than Slovenia.

I'm pretty sure he's saying that the hotels are better in Spain... which makes sense since it's a more touristy country then Slovenia (i've never met someone who was plannign a big vaca to slovenia)

so give the guy a break.. i don't really think he's dissing the country...

BTW- whats up with him referring to Pop as "Gregg".. that just seems wrong. Or is that a translation faux pas also?

Slo spurs fan
09-09-2005, 11:31 AM
^^Obviously you met wrong people! :eyebrows

conversekid
09-09-2005, 02:40 PM
notice Rasho at the back? cool

Ouch...

MiNuS
09-09-2005, 02:49 PM
Tony might as well have called the Heat a bunch of ball hogs! Pigs! Over bloated ass team! The WMBA!

TOP-CHERRY
09-09-2005, 03:42 PM
Tony Parker is only going to get better, especially with Van Exel on board and the new shooting coach. Never forget the first two games against the lakers in 04 where he scored 50+ points and had some amazing assists. He was even shooting and hitting three pointers! Thats exactly how he could be playing all the time, he just needs a little confidence. I think soon he will be one of the top 3 in the league.
Bull's eye!
:tu

angel_luv
09-09-2005, 04:55 PM
I'm pretty sure he's saying that the hotels are better in Spain... which makes sense since it's a more touristy country then Slovenia (i've never met someone who was plannign a big vaca to slovenia)

so give the guy a break.. i don't really think he's dissing the country...

BTW- whats up with him referring to Pop as "Gregg".. that just seems wrong. Or is that a translation faux pas also?

Now you do! = )
I'm going backpacking in Europe in 2007 in large part because I want to see Slovenia.

angel_luv
09-09-2005, 04:56 PM
Ouch...

Hey, now I have a new picture of Rasho. Can't be too upset. = )

Lady M
09-09-2005, 05:39 PM
american fans fascinate me
in USA, you play national anthem before all games. You shake national flag for all occasions and you think defend your country in international competition is stupid.

Maybe the foreign players respect more their country than you respect your country.

milkyway21
09-09-2005, 08:15 PM
Hey, now I have a new picture of Rasho. Can't be too upset. = )maybe he thinks he's better looking than Rasho :lol
what can I say? :smokin

TOP-CHERRY
09-09-2005, 08:27 PM
american fans fascinate me
in USA, you play national anthem before all games. You shake national flag for all occasions and you think defend your country in international competition is stupid.

Maybe the foreign players respect more their country than you respect your country.
Where did you get that from?

conversekid
09-10-2005, 02:27 AM
If you like Rasho, you'd love me... we are virtually twins...

well... except he's 7'1 and I'm 6'1 ... he has a square head and I have a round head... he walks hunched over and I stand up straight... he looks timid and I look scary.... other than, we could be brothers.

Kori Ellis
09-10-2005, 03:28 AM

I rest my case.

You do realize in Game 7 of 2005 Finals, Parker only had one basket scored on him the entire game and Pop praised him for playing the best defensive game of his life.

STFU and learn something, hater.

angel_luv
09-10-2005, 10:17 AM
If you like Rasho, you'd love me... we are virtually twins...

well... except he's 7'1 and I'm 6'1 ... he has a square head and I have a round head... he walks hunched over and I stand up straight... he looks timid and I look scary.... other than, we could be brothers.

And if you were Rasho, you'd be perfect. = )