PDA

View Full Version : Why Didn't We Foul on the Last Play?

Skull-1
05-05-2015, 04:41 AM
Is it not better to foul and keep some time on the clock when you know a make is gonna leave you with one second?

Haven't we been here before?

spurraider21
05-05-2015, 04:42 AM
yes. foul and give them free throws in a tie game.

pop is so stupid to miss that. cost us the series

:pctoss

Spurs 4 The Win
05-05-2015, 04:44 AM
This is as good as the idiots that hate on Tony for not fouling Allen on the game 6 3 pointer...

Rapper
05-05-2015, 04:44 AM
Move on please

Skull-1
05-05-2015, 04:49 AM
It is a serious question. Foul with 7 seconds and then you can run a legit play for the win or tie instead of a one second desperation alley oop for the pick.

Timeout. Advance the ball. Draw up a three. Win by one.

therealtruth
05-05-2015, 06:09 AM
The only different I would have done is put Kawhi on CP3 so his length could bother him.

Skull-1
05-05-2015, 06:24 AM
The only different I would have done is put Kawhi on CP3 so his length could bother him.

Thats is a good point. But the play was well defended. I only saw it on YouTube--had to listen on the radio because I am in Czech Republic all week. Did they try to trap him or did he just blitz all the way to the key?

stepmonkey
05-05-2015, 06:56 AM
Just when I thought spurstalk could not get any stupider.

Skull-1
05-05-2015, 07:45 AM
Just when I thought spurstalk could not get any stupider.

Right. Because going down by two any way with only one second on the clock is a higher percentage play. Sure.

Fireball
05-05-2015, 08:07 AM
If that would be such a good idea the Clippers would have done it as well immediately after that ... looking at the FT percentages of our backcourt players I think the Spurs lose that battle as well.

Skull-1
05-05-2015, 08:57 AM
If that would be such a good idea the Clippers would have done it as well immediately after that ... looking at the FT percentages of our backcourt players I think the Spurs lose that battle as well.

Probably.

Agloco
05-05-2015, 09:24 AM
Is it not better to foul and keep some time on the clock when you know a make is gonna leave you with one second?

Haven't we been here before?

How are you supposed to anticipate that s shot is going in or not?

Also, I'm surprised that more people aren't taking about the degree of difficulty on Paul's shot. How are you supposed to guess that that's going to go in or not.

Fouling when you're tied is just silly unless it DeAndre Jordan. Even then.....

Skull-1
05-05-2015, 09:42 AM
Which is another thing. Was Jordan on the floor?

cantthinkofanything
05-05-2015, 09:42 AM
Once the refs called the foul on Duncan, the possessions were fucked up.

The defense was good but Paul just hit an amazing shot. Turns out it was the latest game winning shot in a Game 7 ever.

Skull-1
05-05-2015, 09:46 AM
Once the refs called the foul on Duncan, the possessions were fucked up.

The defense was good but Paul just hit an amazing shot. Turns out it was the latest game winning shot in a Game 7 ever.

Agreed. The defense was pretty good. Maybe a foot further out he misses. Reminds me of 0.4 to be frank. Just sucks to see Tim posterized.

Russ
05-05-2015, 09:47 AM

Doc pulled him. If DJ was on the floor it might have set up one of the most talked about coaching moves in history -- if Pop actually had the guts (or insanity) to foul him.

Skull-1
05-05-2015, 09:49 AM
Doc pulled him. If DJ was on the floor it might have set up one of the most talked about coaching moves in history -- if Pop actually had the guts (or insanity) to foul him.

With our luck he makes the first then misses only to grab his own rebound for a slam.

InRareForm
05-05-2015, 09:51 AM
lol

mudyez
05-05-2015, 09:55 AM

You can't use Hack-A-Somebody in the last two minutes. Otherwise Pop surely would have done it with DJ on the floor.

FromWayDowntown
05-05-2015, 09:59 AM
1. I'd rather take my chances that a FGA, which is statistically less likely to go in than giving away 2 FTA to Paul, who shoots free throws at over 90%. If you give him free throws, he's going to make them and you will absolutely be behind; if you make him shoot, there's about even odds that he'll miss or make. I don't think you can just assume that a field goal attempt will go down in that situation.

The irony of this, though, is that Pop trusted his defense in that spot to get a stop. Arguably, had he just trusted his defense in the middle of the 2nd quarter of Game 6, there may have never been a 7th Game.

2. Even if Doc had been foolish enough to put Jordan on the floor in that spot, the Spurs could have only fouled him on the catch in that part of the game. There was no way that Jordan would have touched the ball there other than on a scramble play, so there was no way (even if he had been in the game) to employ the Hack.

Agloco
05-05-2015, 10:08 AM

Inside of two minutes it's a free throw and the ball

Agloco
05-05-2015, 10:09 AM

No

Skull-1
05-05-2015, 10:46 AM
Inside of two minutes it's a free throw and the ball

Woops. So much for that idea. /thread

cantthinkofanything
05-05-2015, 10:54 AM

not necessarily. They could have left DJ open to receive the ball and then wait until he gets it to foul.

Skull-1
05-05-2015, 11:16 AM
Two shots and possession we are dead.

Richie
05-05-2015, 07:29 PM
This is as good as the idiots that hate on Tony for not fouling Allen on the game 6 3 pointer...

The foul on that play should have been Manu on the Bosh rebound, but that's easy to say in hindsight

Spurs 4 The Win
05-05-2015, 08:35 PM
The foul on that play should have been Manu on the Bosh rebound, but that's easy to say in hindsight

Yeah, Bosh had the ball for less than a second, hard to think that quickly in a situation like that and given what hapened to Manu with Dirk in game 7 he probably wasnt about to try that again

Sean Cagney
05-05-2015, 08:58 PM

Basically, plus the fact you are tied in that game would mean you are essentially giving them points. If they miss the shot then it worked out not fouling the player, if they happen to make it we can guess all we want scenarios but I doubt a coach fouls when tied in a game. If you are up 3 points then yeah go ahead and foul to prevent the three ball, if you are only up 2 points you let it play out as well unless someone is right at the hoop and you can send them to the line instead of an easy two given up (Thats the only time you foul IMO).

Spurs 4 The Win
05-05-2015, 09:02 PM
Basically, plus the fact you are tied in that game would mean you are essentially giving them points. If they miss the shot then it worked out not fouling the player, if they happen to make it we can guess all we want scenarios but I doubt a coach fouls when tied in a game. If you are up 3 points then yeah go ahead and foul to prevent the three ball, if you are only up 2 points you let it play out as well unless someone is right at the hoop and you can send them to the line instead of an easy two given up (Thats the only time you foul IMO).

NC State fouled in a tied game with 30 seconds left back during their run to an NCAA championship

Sean Cagney
05-05-2015, 10:01 PM
NC State fouled in a tied game with 30 seconds left back during their run to an NCAA championship

How many times are people going to do that and it works out? One example is not going to make me foul in a tie game when you can play D and hope they miss the shot and get the board. If you foul and they hit on both and you miss on the other end and lose by 2 you look like an idiot for fouling correct? Sure you have to make the FT's but usually a guard will have the ball in his hands and will sink both, meaning you just gave them the lead at the line.

Arcadian
05-05-2015, 10:47 PM
If we were up 3, then yes.

Tied, :lol no.

spurs10
05-05-2015, 10:52 PM
Does anyone have Pops phone #?

Spurs 4 The Win
05-05-2015, 11:34 PM
How many times are people going to do that and it works out? One example is not going to make me foul in a tie game when you can play D and hope they miss the shot and get the board. If you foul and they hit on both and you miss on the other end and lose by 2 you look like an idiot for fouling correct? Sure you have to make the FT's but usually a guard will have the ball in his hands and will sink both, meaning you just gave them the lead at the line.

I agree with you, I was just playing devil's advocate

cjw
05-05-2015, 11:54 PM
This is the dumbest thread I've ever read. Would only make sense if winning by 3. Even if up 2 and you were fouling DeAndre Jordan as he received the ball (unless it's a sure fire dunk), it's probably not worth doing. Though MAYBE in DeAndre's case.

Fouling while tied is something Pete Carroll would probably do. He also thinks the CIA knocked down the Twin Towers.

stepmonkey
05-06-2015, 06:25 AM
Right. Because going down by two any way with only one second on the clock is a higher percentage play. Sure.

I would explain it to you but you are obviously too fuckin stupid to understand.

Agloco
05-06-2015, 09:05 AM
Two shots and possession we are dead.

The rule applies to off the ball intentional fouls. If Jordan were to receive the inbounds pass then get fouled it's the standard two shots

Russ
05-06-2015, 09:23 AM
For the sake of discussion, we could assume the following:

1. DJ is in the game (Doc actually took him out when the Clippers got the ball with 8.8 seconds left)

2. Spurs could force the ball to DJ with six seconds left and foul him (a big assumption)

3. The Clippers' percentage of making a two point field goal is 50% (I'm disregarding the three)

4. The Clippers would score (or not score) with three seconds or less

5. DJ's percentage on any FT is 50%

If so, it shakes out like this:

Fouling:

Spurs get the ball with six seconds left and down two -- 25%

Spurs get the ball with six seconds left and down one -- 50%

Spurs get the ball with six seconds left tied -- 25%

Not fouling:

Spurs get the ball with three (or less) seconds left and down two -- 50%

Spurs get the ball with three (or less) seconds left and tied -- 50%

You make the call.

As for Doc, presumably there was some reason he took out one of the best offensive rebounder/putback guys in the league with 8.8 second left.

Chillen
05-06-2015, 09:26 AM
The mistake was made at the end of the game with 1 second left. After the ref helped the Clips out Pop should have used the timeout and instead of the alley oop, Pop should have designed a fast pass inbounds play for a 3 point shooter. It was a prayer at that point anyway, but I would have just thrown it in for a quick 3.

Russ
05-06-2015, 09:35 AM
The mistake was made at the end of the game with 1 second left. After the ref helped the Clips out Pop should have used the timeout and instead of the alley oop, Pop should have designed a fast pass inbounds play for a 3 point shooter. It was a prayer at that point anyway, but I would have just thrown it in for a quick 3.

I was hoping they'd go for the three.

First, the Clippers would have to honor the alley oop (only up two) and commit a defender to any player in the paint -- they couldn't load up on the perimeter and ignore the two.

Second, they couldn't foul -- three free throws would be a killer and any foul on a catch-and-shoot with one second left would likely be a shooting foul.

Three, go for the win on the road. The Spurs were gassed mentally and physically and needed to win it then and there.

Skull-1
05-06-2015, 10:42 AM
Think I got lost. Two freethrows and possession was my concern. What did I miss?

Foul Paul. Save time. No?

Skull-1
05-06-2015, 11:00 AM
I would explain it to you but you are obviously too fuckin stupid to understand.

Yes because nobody misses free throws you f***ing idiot.

therealtruth
05-06-2015, 05:19 PM

Pop didn't care. You heard him say he didn't believe they would succeed anyway. Pretty tough to win when your coach loses faith.

Obstructed_View
05-06-2015, 06:23 PM
The Spurs get beat on an absolutely amazing shot by a really good player, playing on one leg, over two of the Spurs' best defenders, and someone still finds a way to question it or blame the coach.

:lmao

stepmonkey
05-07-2015, 09:45 AM
I wish you were a reporter so you could have discussed that "strategy" with Pop in the post-game. :lmao

Skull-1
05-07-2015, 10:43 AM
I wish you were a reporter so you could have discussed that "strategy" with Pop in the post-game. :lmao

ST wishes your dad had pulled out.

stepmonkey
05-08-2015, 08:21 AM
ST wishes your dad had pulled out.

I wish your Mom had finished the abortion instead of just going half-way.

Skull-1
05-08-2015, 08:25 AM
I wish your Mom had finished the abortion instead of just going half-way.

How original. :lol Weak. 1/100. Epic fail, per par. Idiot. :tu

DMC
05-08-2015, 08:39 AM
I don't know why Pop didn't watch the game footage like we did and come up with some of the things we came up with. He could have seen that Matt Barnes was going to do a backdoor cut, and that we'd have only 1 second to play, and also know that first play call was going to be useless because of the shot clock fiasco. Pop should spend more time reviewing game footage.

Agloco
05-08-2015, 09:37 AM
Yes because nobody misses free throws you f***ing idiot.

In your scenario its Paul at the line. He hit them both.

Again, you're all but guaranteeing yourself a two point deficit there. Extra time doesn't really help you.

Where the Spurs screwed up is giving Paul that much time to begin with.

Agloco
05-08-2015, 09:39 AM
The Spurs get beat on an absolutely amazing shot by a really good player, playing on one leg, over two of the Spurs' best defenders, and someone still finds a way to question it or blame the coach.

:lmao

And this x10000. Ask Paul to hit that shot another 20 times and he makes perhaps 5 or 6 of those.

Skull-1
05-08-2015, 09:46 AM
In your scenario its Paul at the line. He hit them both.

Again, you're all but guaranteeing yourself a two point deficit there. Extra time doesn't really help you.

Where the Spurs screwed up is giving Paul that much time to begin with.

Two point deficit with time or without . Your choice .

Agloco
05-08-2015, 11:52 AM

You ignore the fact that Paul hit a very tough shot there. I'll take odds on a shot like that versus his percentage at the line, which is near 90%

He made it. Shit happens.

Obstructed_View
05-08-2015, 12:24 PM

Paul hit a layup he would hit maybe ten to fifteen percent of the time. There are guys that hit half court shots at a higher percentage. Intentionally giving him two free throws in a tie game is beyond retarded. Nobody would do that. The only people that think they would don't understand the benefit of hindsight.

Old School 44
05-08-2015, 12:55 PM
Definitely would not have fouled. Not saying they would have won, but after the shot clock issue, I would have ran a play for a Marco catch and shoot three, even if he had to shoot it a few feet behind the three point line.

stepmonkey
05-08-2015, 06:11 PM
How original. :lol Weak. 1/100. Epic fail, per par. Idiot. :tu

Well I was still so shamed and hurt by your genius "wish your Dad had pulled out" slam that I couldn't think straight.

Speaking of thinking straight, read the other posts on this thread and try to educate yourself on the game of basketball. They are trying to help you see the error in your theory. Your idea is so ludicrous that I can't take it seriously.

Skull-1
05-08-2015, 06:37 PM
Ghey. Try again. Doooooooooouche.

Silver&Black
05-08-2015, 06:41 PM
Well I was still so shamed and hurt by your genius "wish your Dad had pulled out" slam that I couldn't think straight.

Speaking of thinking straight, read the other posts on this thread and try to educate yourself on the game of basketball. They are trying to help you see the error in your theory. Your idea is so ludicrous that I can't take it seriously.

He's in Africa right now....obviously the Ebola is deep in his brain for coming up with this.

You never, never, never, never......foul when the game is tied. It's just ludicrous to think otherwise.