PDA

View Full Version : Stein's Scoop: Next for Duncan, Spurs?

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-05-2015, 10:06 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/marc-stein/post/_/id/3816/summer-scoop-san-antonio-spurs

By Marc Stein

Five burning questions and answers about the immediate future of the San Antonio Spurs in the wake of their agonizing seven-game exit in the first round to the Los Angeles Clippers:

1. Is Gregg Popovich right? Are Pop and the trusted trio of Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili all expected to return intact next season?

STEIN: "Probably" is the exact word Popovich used after the Spurs' Game 7 defeat. And that's realistically as strongly as anyone can phrase it for now. Because if Pop himself isn't sure, who can be?

But the early evidence suggests that he'll be mostly (if not totally) right. When reading the available tea leaves, you find little to back the idea that either Popovich or Duncan is ready to walk away.

Especially Duncan. The man just threw up four 20-and-10 games in a seven-game slugfest at age 39 and, along with Steve Nash, loves just being part of the team as much as any superstar I've ever covered. Duncan is an all-world family man, too, so I know the lure of spending more time with his children is strong. Yet I just can't picture him walking away when he's seemingly playing at a higher level than he was five years ago.

Pop, meanwhile, could be heard telling local reporters at a season-ending press call Monday that "I wish practice would start next week." Which doesn't exactly make him sound like he's looking for the right spot to hang his whistle.

Ginobili, rather fittingly, is the wild card here. By his own admission, retirement is a real possibility, which should come as little surprise given his declining production and the way he's thrown himself around with reckless abandon for 12 seasons in the NBA and four in Italy before that. But it also shouldn't surprise anyone if Ginobili ultimately decides to drag himself through one more season trying to keep up with all that youth and athleticism on the NBA perimeter. Leaving a party this good and familiar is hard when you understand, as he surely does, that retirement lasts so much longer than the actual party.

2. How long will Popovich coach this team?

The theory was introduced in this cyberspace nearly a year ago by former Alamo City resident Michael Finley, who told us as part of our book-length compilation of Spurs stories that "one thing I think may happen is Pop staying an extra year to make sure things are going in the right direction."

It's the exit strategy that makes the most sense to me, too. As storybook as it would be for Popovich and Duncan to go out together, after this season or next season or whenever, it would be an unspeakable shock to the system for even a program as rock-solid as San Antonio's to have to try to replace both of them at once.

So that's what I expect now. Whenever Duncan decides to hang 'em up, my money is on Pop coaching one more season after that, just to ease the transition to the Spurs' next generation.

For the record, furthermore, don't forget that Popovich only just completed the first season of a five-year contract. Word is he contemplated retirement after last season's championship with more seriousness than any of us on the outside realized, but Pop didn't just agree to keep coaching. He consented to sign that long-term deal which, according to industry insiders, pays in the $11 million range annually.

The reflex reaction to news of Pop's five-year contract was to conclude that it was somewhat ceremonial, based on the idea that no one in South Texas really expects him to see out all five of those years on the bench. Yet we can share that there's at least one pretty well-connected Spurs watcher we know who thinks Pop just may surprise us.

His name is Peter Holt.

In an interview with the Spurs' owner for ESPN Radio during All-Star Weekend in February, Holt told me then that he was cautiously optimistic Pop could actually be convinced to see out the deal.

"He and I are roughly the same age," Holt said. "In five years, he'd be 70. If his health holds up, I know he doesn't believe it, but I believe he'll stay. He'll be there."

3. Who is San Antonio's top target in free agency?

Complicated question.

One candidate could be LaMarcus Aldridge, given what league sources describe as strong mutual interest between the All-Star power forward and Spurs officials to explore every opportunity to bring Aldridge back to Texas this summer.

Complications arise, though, because of all the unknowns.

What will Duncan do? What will Ginobili do? How quickly can they secure a commitment in restricted free agency from Kawhi Leonard?

And how much salary-cap space will San Antonio have once those variables become known?

The working assumption nonetheless persists that the Spurs, with maestro executive R.C. Buford as their offseason point man, will manufacture at least $20 million in salary-cap space this summer to go after Aldridge -- or Memphis' Marc Gasol -- even if Leonard is maxed and Duncan returns.

How?

One scenario on the personnel grapevine gaining steam is the notion that the Spurs could elect to explore the possibility of dealing away Tiago Splitter to create more financial flexibility. Splitter has two years left on his contract valued at just under $17 million and is quietly regarded as a key contributor in San Antonio given how well he fits as a frontcourt sidekick next to Duncan. But if you're the Spurs -- and if the increasingly loud rumbles about Aldridge having San Antonio as the preferred destination atop his wish list prove true -- examining Splitter's trade market might suddenly become unavoidable.

4. Is there any chance Leonard's late-series struggles against the Clippers will impact his impending free agency?

Stop it.

Disappointed as the Spurs had to have been to see Leonard shoot less than 30 percent from the floor over the final three games of the series, so soon after his dominant 32-point showing in Game 3, they're the last team that's going to overreact to a blip, ill-timed as it might have been.

Especially with the memories of Leonard emerging as San Antonio's best player -- and the eventual NBA Defensive Player of the Year -- with the two-way excellence he displayed to spark San Antonio's 20-4 record from Feb. 27 through the end of the regular season.

The Spurs are well aware that Leonard will receive a flood of four-year max offers from rival teams on July 1 if he invites such interest as a restricted free agent. But the early word is that Leonard isn't keen to be courted, knowing he's regarded as the No. 1 building block upon which San Antonio hopes to construct its post-Duncan future.

So the working expectation in Spurs circles is that Leonard and his bosses will come to a quick verbal agreement on a new five-year max deal, which would then free up the front office to chase Aldridge and the other moves necessary to ensure all the math works.

That's the sort of blueprint San Antonio promised Leonard last October, when the Spurs told the 23-year-old they wanted to hold off on signing him to an extension when they had the chance in hopes of preserving maximum cap flexibility for the coming summer.

Yet there's no escaping the reality that the Spurs, assuming Duncan plays on, will have to do some cap gymnastics to create the needed space to chase an Aldridge or anyone else in that price range. Parker, Splitter, Boris Diaw, Patty Mills and Kyle Anderson are the only Spurs under contract next season, accounting for a total just over $34 million, but Duncan and Ginobili, as well as the unheralded Danny Green and Marco Belinelli, are unrestricted free agents.

So Leonard's return, which is essentially guaranteed since the Spurs can match any offer he gets, is one of the few inevitabilities for the silver and black this summer.

"The team will probably look considerably different than it looks this year because we have so many free agents and we want to retool a little bit," Pop admitted Monday. “We want to try to start -- not exactly over again -- but these last four seasons have been a grind. And we put the team together with that in mind, that this year we'd have all the free agents so we can decide what we want to do moving forward as far as the makeup of the team."

5. Does failing to repeat damage San Antonio's legacy?

It really shouldn't. But it probably does.

I can assure you that, as far as today's real-life NBA goes, no one really thinks that way. The Spurs are held up as the standard for excellence by the likes of LeBron James, roughly 29 rival teams and pretty much anyone and everyone else in between. The league's only two 60-win teams this season -- Golden State and Atlanta -- are coached by Pop disciples (Steve Kerr and Mike Budenholzer) and were rather open about how much they modeled themselves on San Antonio's team-first approach and the ball movement as the primary fuel.

History, though, is another matter. Five championships in Duncan's 18 seasons is a haul only Kobe Bryant, among active players, can come close to matching. But it remains to be seen whether the 13 seasons without a ring in that span -- so many of them capped by agonizing losses like the one San Antonio endured in Saturday night's crushing Game 7 -- conspire to prevent them from being remembered as truly dynastic.

Asked in our February interview for ESPN Radio how much it bothers the Spurs that they've never quite managed to go back-to-back, Holt said: "Bother probably isn't the right word. We, of course, wish that we had repeated. Now what happened to us two years ago, losing in Miami in the sixth and seventh game and then winning, that helps alleviate that a little bit because we at least won the second of the two and got there two times."

703 Spurz
05-05-2015, 10:19 AM
Never repeating isn't important to me. The Spurs have the 4th most championships in league history despite being in the league 20 years less than Boston and L.A. Only 18 teams in the league have ever even won a god damn title.

BillMc
05-05-2015, 10:25 AM
Great read. Thanks for posting.:toast

Hope we don't trade away Splitter only to have LA pull out last minute, ala Bosh and the Rockets last year.

BillMc
05-05-2015, 10:27 AM
On the "never repeating" thing, again, the 80's Celtics never repeated and the Larry Bird worship still continues to this day. I think the Spurs' legacy is pretty safe.

DarrinS
05-05-2015, 10:29 AM
4. Is there any chance Leonard's late-series struggles against the Clippers will impact his impending free agency?

Stop it.

You know who you are. :lol

hater
05-05-2015, 10:30 AM
A) Manu retires
b) we get a real SG
c) win

CGD
05-05-2015, 10:30 AM
Good read, though nothing really new for this forum. Only new nugget I distilled is the part about rumblings of moving Tiago.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
05-05-2015, 10:37 AM
Great read. Thanks for posting.:toast

Hope we don't trade away Splitter only to have LA pull out last minute, ala Bosh and the Rockets last year.

If the Spurs trade Splitter, it will be to Portland for LA. This would allow the Spurs to still resign Manu and Duncan to fair deals and still retain Green and Kawhi.

RD2191
05-05-2015, 10:57 AM
trading tiago would be a bad move.

UZER
05-05-2015, 10:57 AM
It's amazing that repeating is never brought up as a sore spot for Larry Bird. Only for Duncan, yet people still have Bird above Duncan.

Bias anyone?

venitian navigator
05-05-2015, 11:13 AM
my plan

current line up new line up How

Parker............................Parker.......... ...............already under contract (auc)
Green............................Green............ ..............re-sign with cap space (6 mill a year for three years)
Leonard.........................Leonard........... ............resign (max)
Duncan..........................Duncan............ ...........resign (2 years veteran minumum)
Splitter..........................Alridge......... ................signed with cap space (4 years starting from 13 millions)
Mills..............................Mills.......... ...................auc
Ginobili..........................Ginobili........ ..................Resign (2 years veteran minimum)
Belinelli..........................Batum.......... .................(straight trade with Portland after the lma signing)
Diaw.............................Diaw............. ................auc
Baynes..........................Baynes .........................resign with cap space
Joseph..........................Joseph............ ...............resign with cap space
Williams.........................Dangubic .......................sign with cap space (minėmum contract for three years)
Kyle Anderson................Kyle Anderson..................auc
Bonner..........................Bertans........... ...............sign with cap space (minimum contract for three years)
Ayres............................first round draft choice (Upshaw - Dakari Jhonson)

I know is very difficult but could work.
Everything depends on convincing Lma to come here for less money, so we can sign some of the known players (that's necessary for a system oriented team like we've always been). In this light, Duncan and Manu staying for two years at the minimum would do wonders to convince a big like Alridge to take less.
The Batum trade imho is possible once Portland knows Lma is gone. Lopez is free agent and their Leonard plays as outside shooter. An inside big like Splitter, wonderful on defense, could do wonders for their pick and roll team paired with Lillard, and his contract is more than decent for a big and probably less than the one Lopez is gonna receive on the open market. So they can invest their big cap space on young players for re-building the team starting from Lillard.
We mantain quite the same starting five (except Alridge in place of Splitter) and quite the same men from 6 to ten (except Batum in place of Belinelli, that should be a real upgrade).
Men from 11 to 15 see three faces change, but it's time to give the young guns (first round draft choice, and the best of people we drafted and stashed) to have an entire season with the team. Imho Dangubic and Bertans both have skills (athleticism the first one, shooting the second one) that we could use in our game.

Too much?

Leetonidas
05-05-2015, 11:18 AM

I agree that when healthy he is very underrated and an ace defender and probably the best overall on the team on defense. But he is such a soft pussy and always getting injured. And if you can trade him to acquire a legit all-star big man in his prime I think it's a no-brainer.

monkeypunk
05-05-2015, 11:19 AM

Yep, he is injury prone and can't shoot but (when healthy) is a deadly pnr player and a great low post defender and a team player. Underrated passing skills as well.

Looking at LMA's stats again, he does look to have progressed on the defensive end this year but is that a worthy gamble? Also seeing comments that he felt "unappreciated" in Portland as they focused on Lillard, how would LMA reach to Pop and his not soft treatment of his players? Could be a gamble as a team fit and player who is "over himself". On the plus side, he can pull defenders away from the basket with his midrange shooting and allow Duncan to camp out in the paint but LMA is not a 5 and would push Duncan to that spot, which he may not want. Duncan's midrange shot did seriously decline this year though so maybe thats a good thing...

On the fence with swapping Splitter for LMA but outside of a Gasol brother, there is no one else I would consider giving Splitter up for. Especially if it allowed us to bring DG back and not trade Diaw or Mills.

Leetonidas
05-05-2015, 11:20 AM
Green is not going to get 6 million a season either :lol unless Spurs pony up there is a good chance another team offers him 10+ a season and he walks, imo. Spurs need to be fair to him because he has been a significant contributor to our success and while he didn't have a great series I think we all know how integral he is to our system especially next to Leonard on the perimeter

Mr Bones
05-05-2015, 11:26 AM
Looking forward to Cap Gymnastics... I think this will be the year when the FO really has to work some magic in terms of Draft+free agents+trades... it's going to be a very interesting off season.

cantthinkofanything
05-05-2015, 11:26 AM
Green is not going to get 6 million a season either :lol unless Spurs pony up there is a good chance another team offers him 10+ a season and he walks, imo. Spurs need to be fair to him because he has been a significant contributor to our success and while he didn't have a great series I think we all know how integral he is to our system especially next to Leonard on the perimeter

I was to the point of being indifferent about Green this offseason but his defense in the last game was pretty spectacular and reminded me of what he's capable of at his best. Maybe he disappears at times in the playoffs but over the course of a season, I think he's absolutely necessary to get the Spurs to where they want to be in April. Would be nice if he could develop his finishing. For the life of me, I don't understand why he looks so awkward going to the rim. He's athletic enough. Anyway, he's a priority in my mind.

monkeypunk
05-05-2015, 11:37 AM
If Pop gives Anderson enough rope, I think he can surprise a lot of people and help cover the gap of losing Gino / Beli from a playmaking perspective.

jjktkk
05-05-2015, 12:56 PM

Agree, but to get Aldridge the Spurs got to clear cap space.

RD2191
05-05-2015, 12:59 PM
Agree, but to get Aldridge the Spurs got to clear cap space.
I'm not familiar with how all this works. Is it possible that the Spurs move Splitter and then LMA backs out? Assuming he commits or however that works.

cd98
05-05-2015, 01:02 PM
I'm not familiar with how all this works. Is it possible that the Spurs move Splitter and then LMA backs out? Assuming he commits or however that works.

If Portland had to trade LMA, I bet they'd take a Spurs package that included Splitter. Obviously, we'd have to give a draft pick. But I imagine that may be a way to keep Green while upgrading from Splitter to LMA. That said, I'm not a big LMA fan. I don't think that tips the balance. I'd much prefer Marc Gasol, but I just don't think we can get him to leave Memphis. The only shot for Gasol, I think, would have been for us to go far in the playoffs and the Grizzlies to go out in the first round. In that scenario, he could reason that the Grizzlies were never going to make it, but the Spurs would make him a perennial contender for a title.

cd98
05-05-2015, 01:05 PM

Agreed, except I still think there are those out there that see him as a system player. He's got some big limitations when he's chased off the three point line. But his ability to guard the G/PG positions and his ability as a help defender make him desirable nonetheless.

cd98
05-05-2015, 01:06 PM
I have a feeling that if we land a big free agent, it will be through a sign and trade, and we will have to give up Splitter and our 1st round draft pick for this year.

CGD
05-05-2015, 01:21 PM
I have a feeling that if we land a big free agent, it will be through a sign and trade, and we will have to give up Splitter and our 1st round draft pick for this year.

I think you're right. The Spurs have leverage since LMA is a UFA, but at the same time they'd have to do a lot just to open up the needed cap space to sign him which undercuts that some.

By my count such a trade would only leave the Spurs with the MLE to sign a splitter replacement, after signing KL and Danny with Bird Right. Maybe Tyson Chandler for the full MLE?

BatManu20
05-05-2015, 02:09 PM
Sign & Trade w/ Memphis:

MEM receives: Tony Parker, Tiago Splitter, Davis Bertans, 2015 & 2016 1st Round draft pick

SAS receives: Mike Conley, Marc Gasol

Problem solved. :downspin:

cd98
05-05-2015, 02:14 PM
I think you're right. The Spurs have leverage since LMA is a UFA, but at the same time they'd have to do a lot just to open up the needed cap space to sign him which undercuts that some.

By my count such a trade would only leave the Spurs with the MLE to sign a splitter replacement, after signing KL and Danny with Bird Right. Maybe Tyson Chandler for the full MLE?

Probably, that said, I think the only FA that the Spurs could/would want to get with a max offer would be Gasol or LMA, and I think they would be seen as Splitter's replacement/upgrade. If they could get Tyson Chandler, that'd be a dream, but I don't think he's going anywhere. There are a dearth of big men in this league and I don't think Dallas is going to let him go.

heyheymymy
05-05-2015, 04:52 PM
Stein didn't get the memo that the "are they a dynasty" question was answered with 5.

therealtruth
05-05-2015, 05:29 PM
If TP looks like he did in the playoffs you have to look for a starting PG. It's also a nice opportunity to look for a PG that plays well with KL.

RD2191
05-05-2015, 05:30 PM
If TP looks like he did in the playoffs you have to look for a starting PG. It's also a nice opportunity to look for a PG that plays well with KL.
:bobo

tholdren
05-05-2015, 08:48 PM
NONSTOP GREAT-TAKES

Cklbmk
05-06-2015, 02:17 PM
They'd need to add more salary. Are we going to give Portland Kyle Anderson and Mills for free? Or Diaw?

Dingle Barry
05-06-2015, 02:40 PM

In that case you'd likely be stuck replacing Manu with some bargain basement player. We desperately need a G who can create his shot and get to the cup