PDA

View Full Version : Question about offseason acquisitions

Ignignokt
05-05-2015, 02:41 PM
Couldn't we just settle for a bargain playmaker in the mid range level, and a solid big man who can defend well and rebound enough to keep Tiago fresh?
We really don't need a LA or big name acquisition. If Timmy comesback, we just need a solid big man to help out on defense and we need a jeremy lin, or drajic type player. We don't suffer from shooters, we may need slashers tho who can drive and kick, and we can definately find some that are not at max level.

ElNono
05-05-2015, 02:44 PM
I think this is very likely once we strike out in the LMA sweepstakes...

Richie
05-05-2015, 07:46 PM
I think Spurs fans are deluded to think we 'don't need' a player like Aldridge or Gasol.

To sign a free agent the only rotation players we'd have to give up are Belinelli and one of Splitter/Mills/Diaw. The quartet of Baynes/Joseph/Bonner/Ayres played a total of 110 minutes in 7 playoff games, that's an average of less than 4 minutes per game each.

You'd be crazy not to trade Belinelli/Splitter or Belinelli/Mills for All-NBA talent like Aldridge or Gasol, and that would be the effective result in free agency.

r0drig0lac
05-05-2015, 07:52 PM
Snell, Porter or Aminu for Kawhi backup would be good to start

Mikeanaro
05-05-2015, 07:56 PM
Even if we get LA a playmaker is 100% required, a cheap one since there is no spark in the offensive side with Porks dribbling and thats when the team gets stuck and everybody dies, standing there like bronze soldiers and nothing flows at all.

Richie
05-05-2015, 07:59 PM
Perfect offseason IMO would be to dump Splitter and sign Gasol

Parker/Mills
Green
Kawhi
Duncan/Diaw
Gasol

We'd need to find some cheap wing players in the draft or for the minimum in free agency but that team would be dominant defensively with 4 All-Defense level defenders in the starting 5.

However, the easiest position to fill in the NBA is backup point guard and if we can get a 1st round pick for Mills then I think we should do it and bring back Joseph for the Room exception.

tholdren
05-05-2015, 08:03 PM
Splitter is a goner. Called it

TXstbobcat
05-05-2015, 08:04 PM
Splitter is a goner. Called it

Any prediction on who they trade him to??

Chinook
05-05-2015, 08:06 PM
Perfect offseason IMO would be to dump Splitter and sign Gasol

Parker/Mills
Green
Kawhi
Duncan/Diaw
Gasol

We'd need to find some cheap wing players in the draft or for the minimum in free agency but that team would be dominant defensively with 4 All-Defense level defenders in the starting 5.

However, the easiest position to fill in the NBA is backup point guard and if we can get a 1st round pick for Mills then I think we should do it and bring back Joseph for the Room exception.

Duncan/Gasol would be abysmal defensively. And there's really no one worth acquiring in 2016 that could fit next to Gasol. I guess Horford, but that's not likely, and the fit wouldn't be all that great anyway.

Floyd Pacquiao
05-05-2015, 08:08 PM
:whine

Richie
05-05-2015, 08:28 PM
Duncan/Gasol would be abysmal defensively. And there's really no one worth acquiring in 2016 that could fit next to Gasol. I guess Horford, but that's not likely, and the fit wouldn't be all that great anyway.

I don't understand how you can possibly think that. Memphis and Spurs were two of the top 3 defences this year, and Gasol is better at all aspects of defence than Splitter and Duncan is better at all aspects of defence than Randolph.

cd98
05-05-2015, 08:47 PM

This. More money in Portland unless there is a sign and trade and hard to know what Spurs will look like. Gasol is a better option but no way we get him.

baseline bum
05-05-2015, 09:02 PM

If the Spurs sign that Charlie motherfucker Imm'a burn my Spurs gear tbh

Nathan89
05-05-2015, 09:37 PM
Our best lineup can't have Tony in it if we want any chance. We need a really good play maker who has length to guard the 2 when he's on the bench with Patty and the ability to replace Tony if needed.

DPG21920
05-05-2015, 09:51 PM
Problem is, especially with chemistry changing, if you miss out on legit talent, how much better are the Spurs really? If you just sign a mid-level guy and a good 4th big, but lose Manu/Beli/etc..did you really move the needle at all? When you consider that Manu is beloved/trusted and that newer players sometimes struggle in year one, might not really move the needle at all with that strategy.

Might be forced into that though. Anyone interested in Millsap/Al Jefferson over LMA?

Splits
05-05-2015, 09:57 PM
Problem is, especially with chemistry changing, if you miss out on legit talent, how much better are the Spurs really? If you just sign a mid-level guy and a good 4th big, but lose Manu/Beli/etc..did you really move the needle at all? When you consider that Manu is beloved/trusted and that newer players sometimes struggle in year one, might not really move the needle at all with that strategy.

Might be forced into that though. Anyone interested in Millsap/Al Jefferson over LMA?

I think it's going to be tough to pull either of those from ATL, especially Al on a player option with the big 16-17 cap hike.

If LMA isn't in the cards, I wouldn't mind seeing a run at Greg Monroe, but only in the 10-12 range and not at max.

DPG21920
05-05-2015, 09:58 PM
Ya, there is the Greg Monroe type and Brook Lopez type as well. It's not just LMA. Al Jefferson is on the Hornets, not ATL though.

Do you take a swing at a restricted guy like O'Quinn from ORL if you miss out on LMA/Gasol? Don't forget, Love may be a guy who becomes available too.

DPG21920
05-05-2015, 10:00 PM
To me, Al Jefferson is the wild card guy to watch. Spurs have been linked to him before. He absolutely loves Tim Duncan. He's the one guy that has seemingly made the good money and may want to take his chance to actually win now and sacrifice some money to play with his hero and also a contender. He's the sneaky play - whether I like him or not.

RD2191
05-05-2015, 10:01 PM
Is Monroe restricted?

Splits
05-05-2015, 10:02 PM
Duh, Jefferson not Horford.

I like O'Quinn, if he can be peeled away. Doesn't seem like ORL is that invested in him. If you can get him for $4ish, why not?

Splits
05-05-2015, 10:02 PM
Is Monroe restricted?

No, he accepted the qualifying offer this season to become UFA. He wants out of Detroit.

DPG21920
05-05-2015, 10:03 PM
Duh, Jefferson not Horford.

I like O'Quinn, if he can be peeled away. Doesn't seem like ORL is that invested in him. If you can get him for $4ish, why not?

O'Quinn is not going to be cheap at all like that. He will approach 6-9M a year IMO.

RD2191
05-05-2015, 10:04 PM
No, he accepted the qualifying offer this season to become UFA. He wants out of Detroit.
Nice.

DPG21920
05-05-2015, 10:09 PM
Is Monroe restricted?

Monroe sucks, but no. Here's a list of the key URFA's (some have a PO like Love, but they are at least URFA's):

Millsap, Lopez, Thad Young, Al Jefferson, Love, Tyson Chandler, Monta Ellis, Greg Monroe, David West, DeAndre Jordan, Marc Gasol, LMA, Wes Matthews, Amir Johnson

Richie
05-05-2015, 10:09 PM
If we can't get a max guy that can move the needle (Aldridge/Gasol) I'd rather keep the group together and go for someone in 2016 with $30m in cap space

RD2191
05-05-2015, 10:10 PM
Monroe sucks, but no. Here's a list of the key URFA's (some have a PO like Love, but they are at least URFA's):

Millsap, Lopez, Thad Young, Al Jefferson, Love, Tyson Chandler, Monta Ellis, Greg Monroe, David West, DeAndre Jordan, Marc Gasol, LMA, Wes Matthews, Amir Johnson
Any preferences?

Splits
05-05-2015, 10:11 PM
O'Quinn is not going to be cheap at all like that. He will approach 6-9M a year IMO.

Doubt that. If Splitter is making $8m, I don't see anyone paying a mid-2nd rounder who's proven nothing in the NBA $6-9m. $5m max

DPG21920
05-05-2015, 10:13 PM
Doubt that. If Splitter is making $8m, I don't see anyone paying a mid-2nd rounder who's proven nothing in the NBA $6-9m. $5m max

Times are a-changing my man. Spillters' contract was at a different time. Prices are going to go up a little because of the new salary cap kicking in soon. In order to incent players to sign now, have to pay a little more IMO or they will wait until those averages are forced up. Luckily, they had a down year and he didn't really show major improvement so it could hold his price down some.

Splits
05-05-2015, 10:16 PM

I think Monroe could become a fringe-AS level player in the Spurs system. He's got the tools.

You also forgot Dragic, Lou Williams, Brendan Wright, Afflalo, Stuckey, Ed Davis, Rin, SCOLA, Beno... and of course everyone's favorite AK-47

Splits
05-05-2015, 10:19 PM
Times are a-changing my man. Spillters' contract was at a different time. Prices are going to go up a little because of the new salary cap kicking in soon. In order to incent players to sign now, have to pay a little more IMO or they will wait until those averages are forced up. Luckily, they had a down year and he didn't really show major improvement so it could hold his price down some.

O'Quinn couldn't even average more minutes than last season, despite the Magic having all kinds of injury trouble in their frontcourt.

I know Chinook is big on this guy, though

DPG21920
05-05-2015, 10:23 PM
Any preferences?

TBH, I haven't really thought about it too much. No one really gets me pumped up. First blush, I would probably say Al Jefferson or Brook Lopez. Main reason is I think those guys will be cheaper. LMA/Love/Gasol are definitely max players. Lopez/Al I think give you very similar results, but both might be willing to take less to get into a winning situation. Lopez with his injury risk, might take less per year for longer years for security and Al Jefferson might take less for the reasons I pointed out.

But I would really need to think about it. I have always liked Amir Johnson too.

DPG21920
05-05-2015, 10:25 PM
I think Monroe could become a fringe-AS level player in the Spurs system. He's got the tools.

You also forgot Dragic, Lou Williams, Brendan Wright, Afflalo, Stuckey, Ed Davis, Rin, SCOLA, Beno... and of course everyone's favorite AK-47

Didn't forget those guys, just did my own filtering of guys I thought either weren't that good (Lou Will, Afflalo, Stuckey, Davis, etc..) or that there really wasn't a good shot (Dragic) or not exciting to make the cut (Wright, Stuckey, Rin, Beno).

RD2191
05-05-2015, 10:26 PM
TBH, I haven't really thought about it too much. No one really gets me pumped up. First blush, I would probably say Al Jefferson or Brook Lopez. Main reason is I think those guys will be cheaper. LMA/Love/Gasol are definitely max players. Lopez/Al I think give you very similar results, but both might be willing to take less to get into a winning situation. Lopez with his injury risk, might take less per year for longer years for security and Al Jefferson might take less for the reasons I pointed out.

But I would really need to think about it. I have always liked Amir Johnson too.
I wouldn't mind LMA but his lack of success in the playoffs is a bit of a red flag imo. Amir Johnson sounds nice, tbh.

BatManu20
05-05-2015, 10:28 PM
Eh.

coachmac87
05-05-2015, 10:40 PM
I wouldn't mind LMA but his lack of success in the playoffs is a bit of a red flag imo. Amir Johnson sounds nice, tbh.

He dropped 40Pts+ in back 2 back games to start the playoffs last year against Houston....Dude played with a torn ligament in his thumb.. Aldridige is an offensive monster.

RD2191
05-05-2015, 10:46 PM
He dropped 40Pts+ in back 2 back games to start the playoffs last year against Houston....Dude played with a torn ligament in his thumb.. Aldridige is an offensive monster.
against houston isn't saying much. he shit the bed against the spurs and got shat on all over by the grizz this season in round 1

coachmac87
05-05-2015, 10:50 PM
against houston isn't saying much. he shit the bed against the spurs and got shat on all over by the grizz this season in round 1

But you said he doesn't have playoff success?? And you follow with "Amir Johnson" is nice...

RD2191
05-05-2015, 10:52 PM
But you said he doesn't have playoff success?? And you follow with "Amir Johnson" is nice...
and? Amir Johnson is nice. Is there a problem with me saying that? LMA is good in the regular season just like Amir. Both come up short in the playoffs. It is what it is.

coachmac87
05-05-2015, 10:54 PM
and? Amir Johnson is nice. Is there a problem with me saying that? LMA is good in the regular season just like Amir. Both come up short in the playoffs. It is what it is.

What?

RD2191
05-05-2015, 10:56 PM
What?
what? both are good players. neither are great.

cd021
05-05-2015, 11:19 PM
Brandon Bass or Brandon Wright if L.A and Gasol falls through.

Chinook
05-06-2015, 05:59 AM
I don't understand how you can possibly think that. Memphis and Spurs were two of the top 3 defences this year, and Gasol is better at all aspects of defence than Splitter and Duncan is better at all aspects of defence than Randolph.

Splitter and Gasol don't do the same things on defense. Gasol plays the Duncan role. So the Spurs would have two Duncans not no Splitters. That's a recipe for really bad defense.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
05-06-2015, 07:47 AM

No Splitter is a much better defender than Gasol. Gasol is really good, but Splitter, when healthy is like the Bowen in post. Remember when he made Randolph shoot like 38% for the series two years back. Made LA shot the same, and this is the LA that came off shooting like 56% against the Rockets the series before.

If Splitter never got injured, there is no way in hell I would consider trading him. But because he isn't reliable, trading him to acquire a player like LA, I would at this point.

And Gasol isn't leaving Memphis. So its LA or Millsaps for the Spurs at this point.

Richie
05-07-2015, 02:03 PM
Splitter and Gasol don't do the same things on defense. Gasol plays the Duncan role. So the Spurs would have two Duncans not no Splitters. That's a recipe for really bad defense.

No Splitter is a much better defender than Gasol. Gasol is really good, but Splitter, when healthy is like the Bowen in post. Remember when he made Randolph shoot like 38% for the series two years back. Made LA shot the same, and this is the LA that came off shooting like 56% against the Rockets the series before.

If Splitter never got injured, there is no way in hell I would consider trading him. But because he isn't reliable, trading him to acquire a player like LA, I would at this point.

And Gasol isn't leaving Memphis. So its LA or Millsaps for the Spurs at this point.

While I agree Gasol isn't leaving Memphis, you're out of your mind if you think Splitter is a better defender than him.

As for the comparison, Gasol would fit brilliantly next to Duncan. He is a great pick and roll defender and he's a bigger, stronger defender in the post than Splitter and a better rim protector. It's nonsense to define our guys by the 'Splitter' and 'Duncan' role because defensive roles, especially for big men, are dictated by what the offence does in terms of which player sets the pick etc... Of course they do the same things on defence, they both defend the post, pick and roll, play help defence and rebound.

Gasol is excellent at all facets of defence, that's why he's a former DPOY and will more than likely get another All-Defence nod this year. The fact that you think having 'two Duncans' would be a bad thing on defence is laughable, considering Gasol is as good as Duncan in every area on defence and is better in many areas like the pick and roll.

Juan
05-07-2015, 02:26 PM
Chinook would rather let Kawhi go then let Splitter walk, not worth conversing with him. Spurs are doomed if they get rid of Tiago according to him. He's Tims successor apparently.

Mugen
05-07-2015, 02:48 PM
My thoughts on this thread:

-people forget how good Tiago is when he's healthy (the health is obviously the huge thing)
-Marc Gasol/Timmy frontcourt would get murdered defensively in the West
-No to Big Al/Brook Lopez...those guys only make sense if TD retires. Even then, I'd rather just start over then sign a loser big tbh
-Most likely scenario is the team striking out on Aldridge. Go after an O'Quinn and another bargain playmaker.

Few tweaks here and there and go after it again next season tbh.

Richie
05-07-2015, 02:53 PM
-people forget how good Tiago is when he's healthy (the health is obviously the huge thing)

Tiago is great, Gasol is better. Timmy/Gasol would be excellent defensively, what is it you think Splitter is better at than Marc?

dabom
05-07-2015, 02:56 PM
My thoughts on this thread:

-No to Big Al/Brook Lopez...those guys only make sense if TD retires. Even then, I'd rather just start over then sign a loser big tbh
-Most likely scenario is the team striking out on Aldridge. Go after an O'Quinn and another bargain playmaker.

Few tweaks here and there and go after it again next season tbh.

No one forgets how good tiago is when healthy. He just doesn't add anything on offense and the biggest factor here that people keep brushing aside like it doesn't warrant any news on, HE IS AN INJURY PRONE VAGINA. Sorry I don't want to stake the last few years of tim and manu on a 50/50 soft vagina.

dabom
05-07-2015, 02:57 PM
The medical people don't even know WTF is wrong with tiago for fucks-sake.

dabom
05-07-2015, 03:01 PM
Are people gonna be dumbfounded when he costs us another playoff run?

I for one won't. Sometimes it's time to cut your losses.

Juan
05-07-2015, 03:10 PM
Love Tiago. Great role player. But if you have the chance to get someone like Aldridge/Gasol you bid farewell. Splitter will never be some great sidekick next to Leonard.

Chinook
05-07-2015, 03:49 PM
Chinook would rather let Kawhi go then let Splitter walk, not worth conversing with him. Spurs are doomed if they get rid of Tiago according to him. He's Tims successor apparently.

Lol.

heyheymymy
05-07-2015, 08:56 PM
I think it's more about replacing Manu right now than Tim. Manu is more likely to retire imo so we shouldn't really be looking at bigs. Once Tim goes we're retooling everything at that point anyway, so we can worry about that then.

I figure Tim comes back, Manu retires, Spurs bring back most everyone, let Ayers and Williams go, and keep the Cojo, Baynes, and Anderson development/implementation projects going. Try to snag a slick deal on a big for Splitter insurance with Ayers' spot. Hard part is to cover Manu's production. Dragic isn't ideal, and we wouldn't be able to afford him after bringing back Green. Not really interested in any other FA's at that position either. Best bet is to hope TP and Splitter get healthy, Cojo can make the leap so Mills can fill in for Manu, and Green / Kawhi both remain and turn a corner.

Team could very well look a lot like last year's imo. Especially if Tim and Manu don't retire, we'll be lucky to keep Green to even bring back last year's roster.