PDA

View Full Version : New Manu Column

TMTTRIO
05-05-2015, 11:15 PM
El Nono will you translate this. Of course the google translator doesn't do it justice but it sounds like Manu has some very interesting things to say about the team meeting. It sounds like Pop wants both Tim and Manu back but both Tim and Manu are really considering it.

http://canchallena.lanacion.com.ar/1790350-no-tengo-procesado-el-retiro

ElNono
05-05-2015, 11:21 PM
yeah, I'll get on it...

DPG21920
05-05-2015, 11:23 PM
And I of course will translate back to Spanish once Nono is done for those Spanish speakers on the forum.

Spur|n|Austin
05-05-2015, 11:23 PM
SDL Translate also leaves a lot to be desired - ElNono to the rescue in here!

Mikeanaro
05-05-2015, 11:26 PM
And I of course will translate back to Spanish once Nono is done for those Spanish speakers on the forum.
Thanks man.

Splits
05-05-2015, 11:45 PM
Need someone to fact check EN's translations, he always misrepresents Manu in the most positive light possible.

ElNono
05-05-2015, 11:54 PM
"I Haven't processed the retirement decision yet"

SAN ANTONIO.- The first 48 hours are normally complicated, but afterwards you start to digest what happened and you gain tranquility. The whole body starts to free up tension and you can sleep better. Now I can analyze that we didn't play very well. We had a couple of very good games, but the thing is we played against an amazing team and a team that normally give us trouble. It was an incredibly even series, could've gone either way and they won. It's disappointing, because you always have great expectations, and because even though we finished sixth in the conference, I thought we had good chances. We didn't feel any other team was a lot better than us, and I think the series against the Clippers has shown that. We just beat houston twice; if we would've moved on, if Golden State was in our path, we're a team that plays them well... I'm not saying we were a lock to the Finals, but we certainly had a shot to put up a good fight. Sometimes this stuff happens and when it happens it's better than it happens now, and not June 20 in game 7 of the Finals. It hurt less in that sense.

I forbade my wife to watch any games, at least until I'm done processing the loss. I don't want to watch, still hurts if I do. I don't know if it's a bit of arrogance, or ego(?). It's difficult not seeing us out there playing, we're always confident, and thinks we should've had an opportunity to continue. That's why until that goes away a bit, I rather isolate myself a bit. After a very long season, video after video, I just say "stop, time to free up my mind a bit". I haven't watched anything, just only saw the scores.

I know some of you are wondering what's going to happen with my career. I'm honestly flattered by all the nice words recognizing my work and all the affection I received. Even though I'm not somebody that reads a lot, I've seen nice comments that make me feel good. They say I should play another year, that I can still contribute... but it's not that, it's beyond whether I can or not. It's just how you feel, or how hard you feel every time you have to put together your little bag to go to each city, or play five games in a week. Or play 85 games in 165 days. So it's a moment of uncertainty.

There are times when I look back at the season, and I say, of course I can play some more and there are other moments where I don't want to see a basketball nearby. I'm going to wait out this month and see how I feel. If I feel like a former player or not. If I start missing the game or how does my body responds. It's a unique moment, I've never been in this situation. I thought about it very superficially in 2013, but after a week or 10 days I knew I wanted to take on another challenge and that was not the moment. Now we'll see, maybe the same thing will happen or maybe it will be harder and I'll have to wait more time. So, I'll take it easy and see what I do, because these are decision you don't want to rush.

Right now I don't think there's a correct decision, either way. You never know if it's a good decision or not. Because it's a very particular situation and nobody can tell you what to do. Because yes, there's a ton of former players that went through this moment and so on, but every player has it's own experience, with different moments, different physical realities, different team situations. To stop doing what you did 100% of your adult life up to this point is a unique moment, which gives you a lot of uncertainty. I'm sure I haven't processed the retirement decision yet, because I still have my doubts, and because sometimes I think it's time and sometimes I don't. I remember when it was time for my brother, Sepo, he was 39 years old, he started the season, and then he realized he couldn't face it, he had thought about it. I definitely have a lot more doubts, although I'm generally a person to think more about situations and things. That's why I want to give myself some time.

Pop told us that he wanted Tim and me back next season. They're words that makes things more difficult to me. The reality is that if the franchise would've said they didn't want me or that it was time to rebuild and they wanted a younger team, they would've made my decision a lot easier. It's possible it would've hurt a bit, since even though one is at the edge of the precipice, you want to fall on your own, not to be pushed out. So it would've hurt a bit but it would've made the decision a bit easier. But it was the other way around, those words help you emotionally, with your confidence and you feel it, but I'm not at a time where I need the job. It's not about continuing because they want me, but it's time to define if I really feel like doing the job and getting fully involved in it again.

In the team exit meeting I had a couple of very nice conversations with Pop and Tim, because we're the guys that are in this somewhat particular situation, although Pop made clear with what he said what his idea is. And well... we talked with Tim a bit about the possibilities and we're like in the same wavelength about waiting a little bit. We need some time, see what happens, how we feel and what our families say. Our bodies are not the same, even though in his case you can hardly tell. But there's thoughts running through our heads.

Today it's time to be 100% with family. Many said that I have to make the decision and she'll support me in anything I choose. She's fine with whatever I want to do. So she made it a bit more complicated for me, I thought it was going to be more of a team decision. So I'll debate what to do as the days go by and I'll throw some ideas out there... and see what sticks. She'll be happy with whatever I choose if it makes me happy.

I don't think San Antonio is going to take a huge hit if we don't come back. If they were preparing a full rebuild.... that Pop goes away and some other coach comes in, Tim retires, Tony doesn't play anymore. That's where the situation would change a lot. I understand it's time to change things on the team, or the look of the team, and that's understandable. But if Pop continues and Tim can continue, everything is different. Because we would need less of a compromise with our teammates and everything. I suppose we're going to have to talk to Tim a bit, who looks to be on the same edge I am. We'll see where the wind blows.

ElNono
05-05-2015, 11:54 PM
done and done... thanks for the link...

Some juicy stuff about Tim in there too...

ElNono
05-05-2015, 11:56 PM
Need someone to fact check EN's translations, he always misrepresents Manu in the most positive light possible.

feel free, tbh... I'm always Fair and Balanced(tm)

Silver&Black
05-05-2015, 11:56 PM
You da motherfuckin man EN....

Mi negro.

DPG21920
05-05-2015, 11:59 PM
Manu is one of the great athlete interviews. Going to be a sad day in the NBA with no Manu - whether that is next year or later.

Spur|n|Austin
05-06-2015, 12:02 AM
Great read from Manu - I'd love for him to come back in a limited role for one last shot. Tim could play for another 3 years if he truly wanted to, but I doubt he wants that. To have them both back next season for one final push/hoorah would be awesome.

Thanks, ElNono

-21-
05-06-2015, 12:06 AM
Thanks ElNono. Some interesting stuff in there.

Splits
05-06-2015, 12:07 AM
I don't want to watch, still hurts if I do.

Mikeanaro
05-06-2015, 12:08 AM
The translation is accurate, come on people join the Manu´s diaries.

MI21
05-06-2015, 12:10 AM
Thank you very much for the translation El Nono, much appreciated.

Unlike a lot of Spurs fans, I actually appreciate Manu more and more as his career has wound down. I would absolutely love him back for another year, despite the miscues and declining game, he is still a pretty effective player.

One more season Manu :tu

Dex
05-06-2015, 12:12 AM
Thanks, ElNono.

May just be me...but Manu sounds really hesitant about returning. I don't see it happening.

Mikeanaro
05-06-2015, 12:20 AM
Thanks, ElNono.

May just be me...but Manu sounds really hesitant about returning. I don't see it happening.
Not exactly, I´ve been reading his articles for years and 95% of the time he always played for the national team even injured, this time he is not in a depressive mood also never said he is done physically either, I say with a little pressure from Tim and the other guys Manu will play one more year.

spursparker9
05-06-2015, 12:24 AM
I don't think San Antonio is going to take a huge hit if we don't come back. If they were preparing a full rebuild.... that Pop goes away and some other coach comes in, Tim retires, Tony doesn't play anymore. That's where the situation would change a lot. I understand it's time to change things on the team, or the look of the team, and that's understandable. But if Pop continues and Tim can continue, everything is different. Because we would need less of a compromise with our teammates and everything. I suppose we're going to have to talk to Tim a bit, who looks to be on the same edge I am. We'll see where the wind blows.

This last paragraph seems to show that Manu is leaning toward retirement

ElNono
05-06-2015, 12:26 AM
My general feeling after reading that is that he'll probably talk to Tim a lot in the upcoming days... and I wouldn't be surprised if he comes back for one more run if Tim decides to come back too...

davi78239
05-06-2015, 12:35 AM
I'm hoping he retires. Please Manu. Do it.

Uriel
05-06-2015, 12:39 AM
I don't want to watch, still hurts if I do. I don't know if it's a bit of arrogance, or ego(?). It's difficult not seeing us out there playing, we're always confident, and thinks we should've had an opportunity to continue. That's why until that goes away a bit, I rather isolate myself a bit. After a very long season, video after video, I just say "stop, time to free up my mind a bit". I haven't watched anything, just only saw the scores.
Exact same situation here. :lol

SnakeBoy
05-06-2015, 01:07 AM
Both Manu and Tim can still play but I hope they walk away.

wildchild
05-06-2015, 01:12 AM
My general feeling after reading that is that he'll probably talk to Tim a lot in the upcoming days... and I wouldn't be surprised if he comes back for one more run if Tim decides to come back too...

:tu

Their summer talks will end agreeing to play one more season togheter.

AusEM
05-06-2015, 01:12 AM
Sounds like if Tim retires Manu is gone. If Tim stays then he doesn't know. Though he did say he thought
they had a chance to win it all... which means he would come back.
Wondering about the "if things don't change much". Does this mean that even if Tim returns a change on the
system would push him to retirement? (Old dog, new tricks kind of thing).
If we don't resign Green Manu would be our best defensive SG (if we consider Patty a PG) and backup SF. That
would mean more minutes...

RD2191
05-06-2015, 01:13 AM
I doubt Tim walks away after a 1st round exit.

MI21
05-06-2015, 01:17 AM

That's my exact feeling as well.

RD2191
05-06-2015, 01:18 AM
What contracts were tim and Manu on? I thought both had 1 year left?

ElNono
05-06-2015, 01:19 AM
I know Gino is in his last legs and Tim probably has a couple of years left, if that, but I don't get the eagerness of some fans to want them to retire, tbh...

I'm 99% positive we stop being contenders when they go... and I doubt that's going to be a lot of fun...

ElNono
05-06-2015, 01:20 AM
What contracts were tim and Manu on? I thought both had 1 year left?

Manu finished his 2 year/$14m deal, Tim was on a 1/$10m deal

RD2191
05-06-2015, 01:20 AM
Manu finished his 2 year/$14m deal, Tim was on a 1/$10m deal
I see. Thanks man.

BatManu20
05-06-2015, 01:21 AM
I hope Timmy comes back for one more year. Anybody who says otherwise is kidding themselves with expectations, because if he doesn't, we're going to fall hard and fast.

I honestly think it's time for Manu, and it pains me to say that.. he's my 2nd favorite Spur ever, but his body just won't allow him to compete at a high level anymore. He literally cannot drive by anyone anymore, which leads to him forcing a lot of bad passes which often result in turnovers. If he comes back, I won't be upset, I just hate seeing great players washed up. We definitely need Timmy though.

RD2191
05-06-2015, 01:23 AM
While Manu has some whacky turnovers the dude had more assist than Parker during the clippers series. He doesn't need to score he just needs to facilitate like he has been doing.

Robz4000
05-06-2015, 01:31 AM
Fuck it, if Manu wants to come back I'm all for it. Eliminates the chances of the Spurs making a free agent splash but they were arguably a CP3 miracle shot away from repeating.

spurs10
05-06-2015, 02:03 AM
Thanks much ElNono...really hoping for one more year to enjoy this amazing ride!

mudyez
05-06-2015, 02:37 AM
Thanks Nono

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-06-2015, 02:44 AM
Both will be back.

Proxy
05-06-2015, 03:17 AM
I hope both are back. There are too many people that don't appreciate how special both players are.... I guess Manu in particular since his impact isn't as obvious as TD's. Thanks Nono for the translation.

pookenstein
05-06-2015, 03:22 AM
They are Spurs legends. I hope both will be back.

Skull-1
05-06-2015, 03:37 AM
While Manu has some whacky turnovers the dude had more assist than Parker during the clippers series. He doesn't need to score he just needs to facilitate like he has been doing.

And stop with the turnovers.

venitian navigator
05-06-2015, 03:48 AM
There are many reasons why manu should come back.
First, he's still our second best play maker, simply 'cause knows all the games of the system.
Second, I think he could be a good menthor for Kyle Anderson, considering Kyle is gonna replace his role as a play-maker/point forward (anfd next year Kyle is fonna play a lot more with the team, instead than with the ex toros)
Third, it could be somehow stupid, but records counts for fans....and having the best trio of all times for games won in the regular season is a big, big deal.

eric365
05-06-2015, 03:57 AM
sounds to me like he want to retire but can't find the excuse to do it

Tim probably coming back, spurs wanting him back, his wife saying it's ok to come back...

SAtown
05-06-2015, 05:59 AM
That article makes it clear that Manu doesn't want to overstay his welcome with the Spurs. I'm just glad Pop has the confidence in Manu to be productive one more year and not treating him like, say, the Steelers treated Troy Polamalu, for example.

It also seems like both Manu and Duncan are leaning more towards retirement than playing any further. I have a feeling that if they had won another ring this year (or even made it to the Finals), they would have both retired immediately afterwards, with nothing else to prove.

spursfan09
05-06-2015, 06:36 AM
I think they play one more year and give us a retirement tour.

Duncanforthree
05-06-2015, 07:01 AM
Yeah,one more year.

Set the trio record. Get the ovations around the country.

Give us one final push with this core.

Now let's find a way to make this work with Kawhi and LMA.

AFBlue
05-06-2015, 07:11 AM
Nono with the translation goods...much appreciated.

The whole article indicates he's leaning toward retirement...the bit about Pop wanting him back making the decision more difficult, more emphasis on the grind (packing bags, 85 games in 185 days) than the joy, reassuring fans that it's not the end if they do go. But, I like that he's going to be thoughtful and deliberate about the decision. And as painful as it is the Spurs lost in the first round, the silver lining is that Tim and Manu get some serious time to reflect before deciding.

The last interesting thing...Manu indicating that Pop told him and Tim a plan, and him saying he basically doesn't need the money. Combined with the Pop retooling comment, it reassures me they have a grand design for this offseason that incorporates one or both if they're willing to play along but doesn't preclude them from adding pieces.

baseline bum
05-06-2015, 07:12 AM
Both Manu and Tim can still play but I hope they walk away.

Why? The lottery is no fun.

mudyez
05-06-2015, 07:37 AM
There are many reasons why manu should come back.
First, he's still our second best play maker, simply 'cause knows all the games of the system.
Second, I think he could be a good menthor for Kyle Anderson, considering Kyle is gonna replace his role as a play-maker/point forward (anfd next year Kyle is fonna play a lot more with the team, instead than with the ex toros)
Third, it could be somehow stupid, but records counts for fans....and having the best trio of all times for games won in the regular season is a big, big deal.

this!

Perry Mason
05-06-2015, 07:55 AM
What can Manu give beyond a regular season 15 minute Andre Miller role?

Manu rebounded from 2013 and gave us a miracle in 2014, particularly in the playoffs. But he can't be counted on in the playoffs anymore to play big minutes and close games. So it would be a token role.

This season he has been relatively healthy but he is so clearly limited. Others say he doesn't need to score. Wrong. Our recent exit proves that the Spurs' system since 2011 requires the guards to score. This is why TP's struggles have hurt so much.

Manu was always counted on for big shots and big drives. His passing works because he's a threat to beat you off the dribble. Without that, play the passing lanes or let him shoot.

Only reason to bring him back in my view is to help in a transition of the 6th man role to Anderson or someone else.

EVAY
05-06-2015, 08:28 AM
Thanks as always for the translation, Nono.

It will be a very sad day for all of us when Manu retires, but I agree with everyone here who says it sure sounds like he will. The thing that struck me so much was what was NOT said. He did NOT say that he loved the game and loved playing. His focus was on the grind and the length of it all. That says a lot to me about his mental fatigue, and that is something that Pop referenced in his exit Q and A with the press, and something that a player as intelligent as Manu knows will be there next year as well.

The whole thing does make one wonder what Pop's 'plan' would be for next year. To me, the plan would address the grind aspect.

All in all, I believe that if Tim comes back, Manu will feel like he should. I believe that Tim is coming back, but I believe that Tim doesn't want to influence Manu.
Tim is not done. I'm convinced of that. Manu, not so much.

Old School 44
05-06-2015, 08:29 AM
I know it's not really the Spurs way, but Manu needs to play one more year, announce that it's his final year, and have a farewell tour so to speak.

As fans, we need that moment at the AT&T Center where we know it's his final game, Pop puts him in for the final time, and the fans are raining chants of "MANU! MANU! MANU!", the fans are crying, Tim and the rest of the bench are glassy-eyed, and for one last time, Manu forgets he's 38, drives, eurosteps and rises up and ferociously jams the ball in traffic. "GINOBILI!!!" can be heard one last time from the TNT studios.

:worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::w orthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::wor thy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worth y::worthy:

http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o518/tcatz/ManuJams_zpslp0dvbmm.jpg

Dex
05-06-2015, 09:11 AM
I know Gino is in his last legs and Tim probably has a couple of years left, if that, but I don't get the eagerness of some fans to want them to retire, tbh...

I'm 99% positive we stop being contenders when they go... and I doubt that's going to be a lot of fun...

I personally want Tim and Manu both to come back, although Manu's capacity will have to be even more limited if he chooses to return. And therein lies the rub, and why I understand the people who think Tim and/or Manu should hang them up.

It sucks watching your favorite players decline. It sucks watching them become shells of their former selves, and get to the point where their body just can't do what it used to do, or what their mind wills it to. It sucks when you are glad to see one of the Spurs legends go to the bench because they simply aren't getting it done.

We haven't witnessed this much with Tim (although that stretch from 09-11 was a scare), but we've definitely seen Manu regress. Until proven otherwise, we are also seeing the same thing with Parker. Would it be worth Duncan coming back if his body suddenly hits the wall and we have to watch him break down too?

That's all rhetoric, though, and Tim Duncan IS the Spurs at this point. Old Man Riverwalk needs to lace them up again. :hungry:

urunobili
05-06-2015, 09:12 AM
1 more year plz :cry

Gervin44Silas13
05-06-2015, 09:30 AM
Tim don't have a wife
he's fucking Vanessa Macias

sounds to me like he want to retire but can't find the excuse to do it

Tim probably coming back, spurs wanting him back, his wife saying it's ok to come back...

loveforthegame
05-06-2015, 09:30 AM

BatManu20 and Dex summed up my feelings exactly. I don't think anyone is hoping with glee or happy about the possibility of one or both retiring. Duncan can clearly keep playing. Even a step slower he's one of the most productive players. Incredible at his age. OTOH, Manu's body can't keep up with his mind. It's tough on us fans so I can only imagine what it must do to him when he's one of the most competitive players this sport has seen. His mind only knows one speed but his body can no longer keep up. That takes nothing away from his legacy.

It won't bother me if he comes back for one more ride if that's what he wants. It's a gamble either way. He continues to decline further or he has one more run left in the tank.

No one expects the transition to be smooth once those guys hang them up. But we are at a crossroads. At some point the move has to be made and hope the team can still be competitive. Anyone expecting the same success the big 3 brought are setting themselves up for disappointment.

hater
05-06-2015, 09:31 AM
I would like manu 1 more year for free ir for min.

But since scrub got a contract best thing for him is to retire

Gervin44Silas13
05-06-2015, 09:36 AM
The only way I see Manu coming back would be for a limited role minimum minutes

It's a long shot but I wonder if Manu rests this OS and stays healthy do you guys think he could revert to 2014 Manu?

More than anything I think Manu put wear and tear on his body playing for Argentina....I think thats where his game started to decline

Great article

Thoughts ?

Maddog
05-06-2015, 09:42 AM
Resign at the minimum- play him less early in the season. Aim for 60 games max. Was still somewhat effective this year.

I have serious doubts about Kyle Anderson's NBA potential so I'm not sure what we have to replace him with- Mills is more of a 2 guard

BillMc
05-06-2015, 11:59 AM
Thanks EN. :toast Sounds like Manu is leaning towards retiring and Tim is more in doubt than I though. But we can't really tell from one article. As EN said, we shouldn't be in any hurry to see them go. Case in point, I'm a Dolphins fan. And at the end of Marino's career there were some Miami fans who wanted Dan to retire, for younger blood to replace him. And the Fins haven't had good quartbacking since. When Manu and Tim really are gone we'll realize what we lost, no need to usher them out the door. Glad to hear Pop has unequivocally said he wants them back (though that is no surprise).

Throughout his career Manu's honesty in interviews are one of the many reasons he, along with Timmy, are my favorite Spurs.

ElNono
05-06-2015, 12:15 PM
BatManu20 and Dex summed up my feelings exactly. I don't think anyone is hoping with glee or happy about the possibility of one or both retiring. Duncan can clearly keep playing. Even a step slower he's one of the most productive players. Incredible at his age. OTOH, Manu's body can't keep up with his mind. It's tough on us fans so I can only imagine what it must do to him when he's one of the most competitive players this sport has seen. His mind only knows one speed but his body can no longer keep up. That takes nothing away from his legacy.

It won't bother me if he comes back for one more ride if that's what he wants. It's a gamble either way. He continues to decline further or he has one more run left in the tank.

No one expects the transition to be smooth once those guys hang them up. But we are at a crossroads. At some point the move has to be made and hope the team can still be competitive. Anyone expecting the same success the big 3 brought are setting themselves up for disappointment.

I get the "I don't wanna see him drag his legs on the court" angle, but do you guys watch the rest of the league?

Gino at 38 is still a lot better than the Austin Rivers, Dion Waiters of the league. Heck, look at Wade. I mean, even if he throws 2 passes to front row every game, dude has been our 2nd leading assist man for years, even top assist guy against the Clippers. Not to mention he was still better than Beli defensively, which is crazy.

ElNono
05-06-2015, 12:18 PM
I'm greedy. I want them back, even if it's a farewell tour. I still think they have a lot to give, on and off the court. Once they're gone, they're not coming back.

MateoNeygro
05-06-2015, 12:18 PM
I want them both back. I will continue to support them both until they hang it up. Part of me (selfishly) wants them to announce it's their last year(when it's time) like Dave did just so we know. I want to be able to fully appreciate and enjoy the last time I'll watch them I guess? It's so strange to me to be talking retirement with these two because although I started as a Spurs fan with Dave, Avery, Del Negro, Elliott, Cummings ect. I'll always remember these guys better just because I'm older and understand more and they've just been so amazing. GSG Forever.

sammy
05-06-2015, 12:35 PM

I agree with you El Nono! I want them both back! For the idiots who want them to retire are a bunch of traitors! How can all of you forget what they gave us!

RD2191
05-06-2015, 12:37 PM
I agree with you El Nono! I want them both back! For the idiots who want them to retire are a bunch of traitors! How can all of you forget what they gave us!
Lol. Calm down.

kaji157
05-06-2015, 01:04 PM

Same feeling here, i thought he was more inclined towards retirement. But that sentense there looked to me as if he and Tim are leaning towards one last shot if the franchise want them to continue.
I am almost sure than most of our FA would take a one year deal to join Tim and Manu in their last year.

spursfanLA
05-06-2015, 01:05 PM
My main concern about Manu's game is his bad free throw percentage in 2015 season and playoffs. Manu used to be the most clutch player on Spurs and used to always make key free throws down the stretch. Him missing so many free throws says something wrong about his body and mind not being in basketball.

spurs10
05-06-2015, 02:01 PM
I'm greedy. I want them back, even if it's a farewell tour. I still think they have a lot to give, on and off the court. Once they're gone, they're not coming back. Absolutely!

cd98
05-06-2015, 02:03 PM
At 38, I don't think Manu has anything left to prove. He will always be the most beloved Spur. He's even my son's favorite player, and he didn't really watch him until the last three seasons. That's how entertaining he is to watch. To be honest, I'd selfishly love him to reup, just not this summer. If I was his advisor, I'd have him take the fall off, and then sign with the Spurs for the vet minimum in January. Let him play his way into shape, and give Spur fans a few more months to get tickets and give him a proper good-bye. That said, if I were Manu, I don't know that I would give up seeing my family for six months for the veteran minimum. He's made his money, but some things money just can't buy.

Chinook
05-06-2015, 02:23 PM
I'm fine with Manu being a mascot. But I don't want the Spurs spending cap space if they don't expect him to be a full-fledged rotation player. But Manu mentoring a young bench guard? Absolutely.

Spursmania
05-06-2015, 04:03 PM
Great thread. Thanks for the translation EN.

I agree with Dex, BatManu20, loveforthegame and EN's thought on Timmy and Manu.
We'll just have to wait it out and see what happens. I'm hoping to enjoy the ride a little longer before we become first exit fodder for years....

TD 21
05-06-2015, 06:04 PM

I was thinking the same thing before I read this (despite my comments the past few weeks about his lack of focus, intensity, passion, etc.), but after reading this, he sounds like he wants to retire and is just waiting to see if he'll feel differently a few weeks removed from the season ending.

weeks
05-06-2015, 06:28 PM
come back manu. just one more year...
i never got a chance to see you play in person.
if you come back for one more season i'll borrow, beg, or steal. by hook or crook, i will see you play on an NBA court before you disappear.
one more year manu!!!

TMTTRIO
05-06-2015, 07:16 PM
I would like to see him at least come back for a good bye tour instead of the way it ended and he left. I know people don't like the way he plays anymore but I still think he can be a contributor. One thing I've noticed this past season is he does a lot more coaching off the sidelines than people realize. I've seen him give advice to all the young/new guys during the timeouts and when Pop is talking to his assistants during timeouts I notice he's already sitting there and giving the team a talk before Pop gets back. People think he can easily be replaced. His skil lset probably can get replaced but how many really talented guys who know can be starters elsewhere and be a star are willing to come off the bench for the good of the team.

SnakeBoy
05-07-2015, 12:32 PM
Why? The lottery is no fun.

Yeah but the ST meltdowns will be.

DMC
05-07-2015, 12:59 PM
Manu needs to be on with Ernie and Charles and Kenny, get rid of Shaq. Manu would bring in the Hispanic crowd, he could say some Hispanic stuff like "mi amigo" or "con dios" or something like that when someone dunks... and Chuck could yell "Ginobili" when Manu finishes his presentation.

You could at least understand what Manu is saying.

K...
05-07-2015, 01:01 PM
[QUOTE]I forbade my wife to watch any games, at least until I'm done processing the lo/QUOTE]

Fucking misogynist scum. There's no plane in the nba for that

To me it sounds like he's watching the FO to see if they get a replacement. If there's no role for Manu he'll retire. If we strike out on free agents, if we lose green, if Tony doesn't look better paying for France , then I think Manu comes back.

It's weird that he mentioned Tony not playing like there was an issue. Could have just been an off comment/poor interpretation. But I wonder if Parker is talking more about his injury to the old guys and pop than we know as spectators.

hater
05-07-2015, 01:04 PM
I'm hoping he retires. Please Manu. Do it.

hater
05-07-2015, 01:05 PM

newsflash, we already stopped being contenders. Round 1 exit

hater
05-07-2015, 01:06 PM
I'm fine with Manu being a mascot. But I don't want the Spurs spending cap space if they don't expect him to be a full-fledged rotation player. But Manu mentoring a young bench guard? Absolutely.

ok I'll agree to this. but nothing more IMO

MultiTroll
05-07-2015, 11:30 PM
Once they're gone, they're not coming back.
http://media1.popsugar-assets.com/files/ed2/192/1922283/42_2009/superbad/i/Hansel-Derek-Zoolander.jpg
Man that is really deep.

MultiTroll
05-07-2015, 11:32 PM
"I Haven't processed the retirement decision yet"

.. that Pop goes away and some other coach comes in,
Are you sayin there's a chance?!

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
05-08-2015, 07:07 AM
Manu's coming back. There is no way in hell they are not going to break the Trio win mark. He will come back just for that. I do expect him to only play 15 minutes a night and like I said, not even go on some road trips with the Spurs.

Manu just needs to play as little as possible (10-15 minutes a night and around 50 games) until the playoffs.

A fresh, healthy Manu could still lead this bench, even at his age.

Skull-1
05-08-2015, 07:14 AM
newsflash, we already stopped being contenders. Round 1 exit

I think our guys wussed out. This was ours for the taking. They'd rather collect money to play paintball instead of basketball.

Skull-1
05-08-2015, 07:14 AM
Manu's coming back. There is no way in hell they are not going to break the Trio win mark. He will come back just for that. I do expect him to only play 15 minutes a night and like I said, not even go on some road trips with the Spurs.

Manu just needs to play as little as possible (10-15 minutes a night and around 50 games) until the playoffs.

A fresh, healthy Manu could still lead this bench, even at his age.

Not if he can't control his impulses.