PDA

View Full Version : I don't buy the "fatigue" factor

adonis827
05-06-2015, 12:17 AM
Every year- every team has played 82 games throughout the year. What is maximum 28 games more without back to backs? Afterwards they are going to rest for a lot of months.

Spurs21Fan4Ever
05-06-2015, 12:20 AM
I don't think this team was physically fatigued as much as they were emotionally fatigued.

Malik Hairston
05-06-2015, 12:20 AM
A playoff game is nothing like a regular season game, as many players have stated..

Steve Kerr discussed it in detail regarding the Bulls run IIRC, and even just last year, Chris Bosh said that in the playoffs, especially in the later rounds, every game feels like 2 games in 1..

Mikeanaro
05-06-2015, 12:23 AM
Lol you better buy it kid.

Kool Bob Love
05-06-2015, 12:24 AM
Besides scooter boy Robdiaz, there wasn't many meltdown threads. Maybe the fans needed a break too.

RD2191
05-06-2015, 12:25 AM
Besides scooter boy Robdiaz, there wasn't many meltdown threads. Maybe the fans needed a break too.
When did I start a meltdown catman?

Richie
05-06-2015, 12:28 AM
An extra 6 weeks of increasingly intense games compared to other teams who get to lay on a beach? If you don't think that makes a difference you're an idiot.

By the time the Finals ends most players in the league will be well rested and have all their little knocks and sprains healed up, whereas the Finals teams will be in the most exhausted, banged up physical state of the year.

adonis827
05-06-2015, 12:37 AM
I am referring mostly to physical. Since the other team you are up against has likely played as much.

And this is by no means specific to the spurs.

As for emotional? They are all pros. I honestly saw a very tight LAC SA series where no team mentally gave up.

100%duncan
05-06-2015, 12:40 AM
You are forgetting that two of the team's most important players are 39 and 36. And that their best defensive big is more injury prone than Derrick Rose.

Richie
05-06-2015, 12:42 AM
Also remember that the deeper you go in the playoffs the more willing players are to play through injuries that they probably should be. This has a knock on effect year-on-year as injuries get worse each season and have a shorter off-season to heal.

RD2191
05-06-2015, 12:43 AM
Lol OP

TheGreatYacht
05-06-2015, 12:44 AM
:lmao

RD2191
05-06-2015, 12:45 AM
:lmao
Scott do you have pics of game 5?

TheGreatYacht
05-06-2015, 01:00 AM
Scott do you have pics of game 5?
Does your scooter have a basket in the front?

RD2191
05-06-2015, 01:02 AM
Does your scooter have a basket in the front?
No. Do you have any pics of the Spurs games you've attended?

ceperez
05-06-2015, 08:34 AM
I don't think this team was physically fatigued as much as they were emotionally fatigued.

Yes, I agree with Pop's assessment on the mental fatigue.

Too many games in the season that they were supposed to win, but they just checked out.

Losing to NYC in a critical part of the season, failing to put up an effort against the Pelicans.

Failing to beat the Clippers on two occasions at home.

Clearly, the team had a bad habit of coasting when they thought they could.

Gervin44Silas13
05-06-2015, 09:43 AM
2012-2015 season

398 freaking games!!!!!!!!!

hater
05-06-2015, 09:46 AM
Physically tired. Check
Mentally tired. Check
Not hungry. Check

All boxes are checked. Spurs were beat after losing in 7 to Miami and then coming back with a vengeance last year.

And yes even I was tired of basketball. Last 2 years have been draining on me as well. Nice break tbqh

Keepin' it real
05-06-2015, 03:55 PM
I don't buy the "fatigue" factor

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRBLDRasPt_7bDQSozYDfDr6-M2Wynq4_bUjSz5JUZY9-0hL4CP

EVAY
05-06-2015, 04:00 PM
Physically tired. Check
Mentally tired. Check
Not hungry. Check

All boxes are checked. Spurs were beat after losing in 7 to Miami and then coming back with a vengeance last year.

And yes even I was tired of basketball. Last 2 years have been draining on me as well. Nice break tbqh

Pretty much

pgardn
05-06-2015, 04:12 PM
It was a good year with injuries we could not overcome.
This has happened before.

I cant wait to see what kind of decisions are made by players and then by the organization.
This will be a very interesting offseason.

And we did not lose to a better team. We happen to lose to a very well matched opponent.
The game continues.

Spur|n|Austin
05-06-2015, 04:15 PM
Every year- every team has played 82 games throughout the year. What is maximum 28 games more without back to backs? Afterwards they are going to rest for a lot of months.

What years did you play in the NBA?

Harry Callahan
05-06-2015, 05:19 PM
The long offseason could very well increase the chance of getting Tim (for sure) and maybe Manu back.

I want to see the big 3 in person at least one more time before it's over.

TD 21
05-06-2015, 05:52 PM
Then you're an idiot. It's a cumulative effect, which is why this team never looked the same this year as they did in any of the previous three they'd played together and why most great teams max out at three straight deep runs before succumbing to fatigue, both physical and mental.

With all due respect to the Clippers, they'd have had no chance at beating this team (barring a significant injury, of course) from '12-'14.

Arcadian
05-06-2015, 07:07 PM
It's not so much about game-related fatigue as the shortened summer break. When you're in the conference or NBA finals every year, you have two months less off than teams who didn't make the playoffs, 1.5 months less than teams ejected in round 1, etc.

But I agree that playoff games per se are not much more tiring than regular games. Players exaggerate that as well. The truth is, most players play hard every game. Very rarely is "effort" a determining factor in anything. Everybody tries really hard all the time. It's just the emotional significance of the playoffs that makes it "feel" more exhausting, perhaps.

RD2191
05-06-2015, 07:11 PM
It's not so much about game-related fatigue as the shortened summer break. When you're in the conference or NBA finals every year, you have two months less off than teams who didn't make the playoffs, 1.5 months less than teams ejected in round 1, etc.

But I agree that playoff games per se are not much more tiring than regular games. Players exaggerate that as well. The truth is, most players play hard every game. Very rarely is "effort" a determining factor in anything. Everybody tries really hard all the time. It's just the emotional significance of the playoffs that makes it "feel" more exhausting, perhaps.
:lolwhat a shit take. most teams and players slack all season. unless your tim duncan you've probably taken it easy a few or more games in the reg season.

Arcadian
05-06-2015, 07:14 PM
:lolwhat a shit take. most teams and players slack all season. unless your tim duncan you've probably taken it easy a few or more games in the reg season.

No, you have it backwards. Most players try hard every game. Slackers are the exception, not the rule. And fuck slackers.

jjktkk
05-06-2015, 07:22 PM
You factor in players fighting thru injuries and deep payoff runs back to back, I can see fatigue being a factor.

adidas11
05-06-2015, 08:04 PM
You also need to factor in the mental fatigue of having to take every team's best shot during the regular season and playoffs, when you're the defending champs.

I remember during the title defenses for the Lakers back during the 2000 - 2002 run where it seemed like every night, they would play against a team that would play lights out. They were so jacked for a game against the Lakers, they would produce their game of the season. Imagine having to be up for that every night during the NBA season grind.

Mikeanaro
05-06-2015, 08:44 PM
We have a birthday here at home, I ate 4 sandwiches but it could have been 82 since there is no much difference.

Perry Mason
05-06-2015, 08:58 PM

I highly doubt your claim. In elite athletics, victory is won at the margin.

Yes, on some level players "play hard" most games. But winning big regular season games and playoff games requires an athlete to push his body to the theoretical limits, both in preparation for the big games and during them. Read the recent Blake Griffin article people were posting about. The training he has been doing to be as explosive as possible and not overdo the minutes is remarkable. It's high level stuff, and he has carefully and consistently built his body up to perform at the new plateau he brought in the playoffs.

Effort and Energy may be overused as explanations for winning and losing, but they are still very real phenomena.

SASdynasty!
05-06-2015, 11:46 PM
Go join a basketball league when you're 35 years old. You'll understand.

Ice009
05-07-2015, 12:07 AM
I highly doubt your claim. In elite athletics, victory is won at the margin.

Yes, on some level players "play hard" most games. But winning big regular season games and playoff games requires an athlete to push his body to the theoretical limits, both in preparation for the big games and during them. Read the recent Blake Griffin article people were posting about. The training he has been doing to be as explosive as possible and not overdo the minutes is remarkable. It's high level stuff, and he has carefully and consistently built his body up to perform at the new plateau he brought in the playoffs.

Effort and Energy may be overused as explanations for winning and losing, but they are still very real phenomena.

Got a link to that article? I wouldn't mind having a read of it.

therealtruth
05-07-2015, 07:16 AM
You can't go 100% on all plays. You have to pick your spots. The best players figure that out.