PDA

View Full Version : Good Neighborhoods in SA?

FkLA
05-06-2015, 01:23 AM
Finally looking to get a house after my lease is up in late June. I know the SE side like the back of my hand so don't need any advice there, but would appreciate some advice for other areas that meet the following criteria:

-quiet neighborhood, preferably subdivision
-avoid East, West, South and SW sides
-up to ~$120k price range

:bobo

DJR210
05-06-2015, 02:01 AM
:lmao.. go ahead and kill yourself now bro.. srs

The only area you should be looking at if you want out of anything ghetto is northwest.. you can't afford Northside w/ that budget.. I've been pre-approved for 130K for over a year, and I STILL have yet to have an offer accepted :lol..

It's such a god damn lockjam in the northwest, these dickhead investors are coming in and overpaying fair market value because there simply isn't enough homes for the demand in this area.. I'm referring to the corridor along 1604 from about Potranco to Bandera.. once you pass Bandera the prices shoot up to the 150's..

Be prepared for a fucking hell of a journey my man. Don't expect the seller to cover any expenses, and done expect to offer a cent less than the sticker price if you really want the house.. you must pay your own closing costs and maybe even toss in a couple grand on top of asking to stand out. Hell, I just offered 15k more than the asking price for a great property, and still got fucked..this time not by an investor, but by the the homeowners dumbass getting foreclosed on before he could do his short sale. It's really not been my luck so far.

DJR210
05-06-2015, 02:03 AM
..and I feel you on your preference.. I expanded my horizons a bit and ventured out to Windcrest, 35 and 410 area.. fuccccckk... nig central over there, fuck that shit.. it was like a 10/1 nig ratio over there, I'll take my chances over on this side :lol

Also, my advice.. try anything you can to get your pre-approval to 140k or more.. usually this means saving more of a down payment..this will get you a step above poverty tier (:lol just fucking w/ you) ,and you'll have access to a ton more properties.. the 110-120k range is slowed to a crawl, and all these homes are fixer uppers. We're gonna keep putting in offers and saving for a larger down payment, in hopes of qualifying for 150-170k by next February.

FkLA
05-06-2015, 03:01 AM
:lol That sounds like a fucking hassle brah. Luckily we pretty much got it made, on my chick's side she has the white dad to pay in cash money and on the my side we got the Mexicans that can fix most problems at a family discount. Won't do anything for our credit to essentially be paying him rent instead of having a mortage payment but oh well.

I've lived in the NW for 3 yrs and like it but I wouldn't mind going south a little further since my whole family lives on the SE side. Just have no idea how good/bad neighborhoods are once you go south past Medical. Don't have any idea what the North and NE sides are like either. Also theres a good amount of houses on realtor.com around NW for under 120k, no?

DJR210
05-06-2015, 03:23 AM
:lol That sounds like a fucking hassle brah. Luckily we pretty much got it made, on my chick's side she has the white dad to pay in cash money and on the my side we got the Mexicans that can fix most problems at a family discount. Won't do anything for our credit to essentially be paying him rent instead of having a mortage payment but oh well.

I've lived in the NW for 3 yrs and like it but I wouldn't mind going south a little further since my whole family lives on the SE side. Just have no idea how good/bad neighborhoods are once you go south past Medical. Don't have any idea what the North and NE sides are like either. Also theres a good amount of houses on realtor.com around NW for under 120k, no?

North and northwest are similar, a lot of quiet neighborhoods, well kept homes and yards, very minimal vandalism, HOA's in most subdivisions holding everyone to a standard. North is just much more expensive so I don't see you finding a home in that range there. NE is mostly black, so there's that.

And I prefer using Sabor.com (SA Board of Realtors website) over any others, and I've tried them all. To your other question, sure, there are plenty of homes on the NW in that range, but how many depend on your requirements for square footage. I personally wouldn't go any less than 2K square feet, and that's pretty much everyone in the market as a house in that criteria gets listed and is off the market literally a day or two later tops.

MI21
05-06-2015, 05:45 AM
Holy fuck, you can buy a house for $120,000 in SA?

How can I move from Australia to San Antonio? My house is worth 5x that amount, it's newly built sure but it's no mansion.

Brazil
05-06-2015, 07:43 AM
Houses in US are made of paper, quite normal they cost near nothing

Brazil
05-06-2015, 07:44 AM
Finally looking to get a house after my lease is up in late June. I know the SE side like the back of my hand so don't need any advice there, but would appreciate some advice for other areas that meet the following criteria:

so does that mean you will clean your room before moving and quit your hoarding disorder ? :tu

Now you just need to work on your tranny addiction and you good to go tbh

DJR210
05-06-2015, 07:56 AM

How can I move from Australia to San Antonio? My house is worth 5x that amount, it's newly built sure but it's no mansion.

Texas, especially SA has a really good housing market. While other states property values have been dropping dramatically over the last 10 years, most of Texas has remained steady if not raised in value lately. A small single family detached home in California will typically sell for 4-500k, here in Texas that will buy you a fucking palace.

Blake
05-06-2015, 08:18 AM
Yeah you can forget $120k on the north side unless you want to find some serious fixer upper.

You might be able to find a little place out there like dj said along 1604 starting from Braun on down west/South past Culebra towards Military or Potranco.

Traffic succcccks out there.

Good luck though. :tu

Blake
05-06-2015, 08:20 AM
A small single family detached home in California will typically sell for 4-500k, here in Texas that will buy you a fucking palace.

^ no exaggeration

DJR210
05-06-2015, 08:23 AM
Yeah you can forget $120k on the north side unless you want to find some serious fixer upper.

You might be able to find a little place out there like dj said along 1604 starting from Braun on down west/South past Culebra towards Military or Potranco.

Traffic succcccks out there.

Good luck though. :tu

Yeah 120k on the north side would probably need to be gutted, and a complete rehab. And traffic is fucking horrible on the NW.

The Reckoning
05-06-2015, 09:16 AM

That's because you live in a place that's uninhabitable and is detached from fucking everywhere (WA that is. Still not as bad as Alice though tbh).

apalisoc_9
05-06-2015, 09:54 AM

120k for a house?

Damn, that's cheap as fuck. That's something that I can afford..sadly most houses over here are at minimum 300k.

Congratulations for being a home owner man.

Buddy Mignon
05-06-2015, 10:48 AM
Houses in US are made of paper, quite normal they cost near nothing

Dude... when you have earthquakes the entire fucking country falls down.

Drachen
05-06-2015, 11:40 AM

I live in the near NW side (Bandera Rd halfway between 410 and 1604). Bought my house in 2008 for ~135k. It's 2300 Sq feet 4/2, though so you can possibly get a smaller house in my area for near to your price range, though it would likely be a little over.

m>s
05-06-2015, 11:46 AM
Can't imagine paying that much to live in that shitty town and so close to Austin

Drachen
05-06-2015, 11:49 AM
... read the rest of the thread, if dad in law is going to pay outright get a small mortgage for ~10 percent on a short term note to help with your credit.

baseline bum
05-06-2015, 11:49 AM
..and I feel you on your preference.. I expanded my horizons a bit and ventured out to Windcrest, 35 and 410 area.. fuccccckk... nig central over there, fuck that shit.. it was like a 10/1 nig ratio over there, I'll take my chances over on this side :lol

That's where all the New Orleans refugees moved after Katrina, no surprise.

DisAsTerBot
05-06-2015, 12:07 PM
Can't imagine paying that much to live in that shitty town and so close to Austin

austin is obviously much pricier. my neighbor just sold for 335 after two days on the market. got 26k over asking

m>s
05-06-2015, 12:16 PM
austin is obviously much pricier. my neighbor just sold for 335 after two days on the market. got 26k over asking
yeah apparently the job market is booming and they are growing like crazy there, i just couldn't stand to be around all the leftists it's a little worrisome what kind of people are moving in. think refugees from california.

leemajors
05-06-2015, 12:29 PM

everything is severely overvalued here. buddy of mine got a 30% increase in his value this year and did nothing to improve his property. protested it downtown, they knocked it back down.

DisAsTerBot
05-06-2015, 12:35 PM
everything is severely overvalued here. buddy of mine got a 30% increase in his value this year and did nothing to improve his property. protested it downtown, they knocked it back down.

eh, im not complaining. could sell tomorrow and make 200k profit

leemajors
05-06-2015, 12:39 PM
eh, im not complaining. could sell tomorrow and make 200k profit

he was also upset about the e-file, apparently if you protest online you waive your right to protest in person :lol glad he read the fine print

Blake
05-06-2015, 01:14 PM
yeah apparently the job market is booming and they are growing like crazy there, i just couldn't stand to be around all the leftists it's a little worrisome what kind of people are moving in. think refugees from california.

i know a number of cali transplants in the Stone Oak area in San Antonio

Blake
05-06-2015, 01:16 PM

the way the county appraisers do business is shitty as hell.

DJR210
05-06-2015, 01:38 PM
Dude... when you have earthquakes the entire fucking country falls down.

:lmao

DJR210
05-06-2015, 01:41 PM
the way the county appraisers do business is shitty as hell.

County appraisals are always way off. Get a real appraiser out there and it's a huge difference.

Xevious
05-06-2015, 02:14 PM
120 is possible on the NW side, there are some older, but still decent neighborhoods west of Bandera and just inside 1604. That's probably going to be your best bet unless you want to live in the slums inside 410 somewhere.

You might want to look on Craigslist and the like for homes for sale by owner. Realtors take a percentage (3% to sell and 3% to buy I believe), so people have to raise their price by that much if they don't have much equity and don't want to lose their ass, and if they really need to sell that sometimes is a make or break difference. You might have to do more legwork, but it may save you some money.

DJR210
05-06-2015, 04:40 PM
unless you want to live in the slums inside 410 somewhere.

:lol same shit I say.. no way I would move near 410.. hell even 1604 is getting too busy with all the new development

DPG21920
05-06-2015, 05:53 PM
Man, I would just wait a little bit until you can live in the nicer area. Nothing wrong with renting. I live in Austin and things are really expensive here, especially if you are within 8 miles or less to downtown. My downtown highrise apt that was 900 square feet was $2400 a month :lol

Have a house now, but even being outside of downtown still expensive.

Wait until you can live inbetween Bulverde & Blanco off of 1604 or around 281.

Blake
05-06-2015, 06:30 PM
^ concur.

Unless you're cool with living in that house for about ten years, it's better to rent, imo.

Nbadan
05-06-2015, 11:20 PM
I have a house in Stone Oak and property taxes suck....I pay more in taxes on my property here than on an agricultural lot on over 30 acres in another state...

Twisted_Dawg
05-07-2015, 06:27 AM
Close to Med center, UTSA, USAA, Valero, La Contera, Rim:
http://realestate.mysanantonio.com/property/TX/San-Antonio/zip/Northwest-Side%2C-Babcock-North%2C-Babcock-Place/6727-SPRING-ROSE-ST/54f789b2c45a7854c20001d2/

$125K http://realestate.mysanantonio.com/property/TX/San-Antonio/zip/Northwest-Side%2C-Woodridge/5938-Woodridge-Cove/552d1d1d2fe3543f4500017b/

$120K http://realestate.mysanantonio.com/property/TX/San-Antonio/zip/Northwest-Side%2C-Babcock-North/6826-SPRING-MANOR-DR/550d9761c45a7866e20001d4/

The Braun area and bad traffic:
$123K http://realestate.mysanantonio.com/property/TX/San-Antonio/zip/Great-Northwest%2C-Far-West-Side/9230-Encino-Village/5536b2a3c45a78642f0000a2/

DJR210
05-07-2015, 08:06 AM
^ Those are tiny for the price, and the first two look run down IMO. The 3rd one is under an active option contract.

Oh, Gee!!
05-07-2015, 11:33 AM
Look around Blanco/Basse area. Probably get something for about 90K. Would need some upgrades b/c those houses were built in the 60's.

Blake
05-07-2015, 11:53 AM
Look around Blanco/Basse area. Probably get something for about 90K. Would need some upgrades b/c those houses were built in the 60's.

Rofl. You'd have to spend $30k in burglar bars and security cams....maybe a front yard gate

m>s
05-07-2015, 12:08 PM
>2015
>living amongst minorities

its like you want to never become civilized or something

Leetonidas
05-07-2015, 12:39 PM
The neighborhoods in NW SA near Grissom/Culebra/Tezel/Westover Hills are not too ghetto and not too expensive. Probably your best bet in your range imo living on the north side will be way too expensive. Anything past Woodglen/Westover Ridge is ghetto though, starting from Pipers Meadow and Timberhill on down to 410/Culebra and into ghettoville

DarrinS
05-07-2015, 01:13 PM
Stone Oak is a cluster fuck ocean of rooftops. Overpriced, imho.

When I pay off my house in a few years, I'm leaving SA for a smaller town. F this traffic.

DJR210
05-07-2015, 01:27 PM
The neighborhoods in NW SA near Grissom/Culebra/Tezel/Westover Hills are not too ghetto and not too expensive. Probably your best bet in your range imo living on the north side will be way too expensive. Anything past Woodglen/Westover Ridge is ghetto though, starting from Pipers Meadow and Timberhill on down to 410/Culebra and into ghettoville

There's patches of ghetto that fuck up a lot more decent area as far as Marbach.. Heritage near Marbach is fucking trash, but Heritage near Potranco is like a different neighborhood. Park Place is the next neighborhood over, and it's night and day vs. Heritage..

Fucking nigs fucking up the entire city.

DJR210
05-07-2015, 01:30 PM

When I pay off my house in a few years, I'm leaving SA for a smaller town. F this traffic.

Move outside city limits not too far from town so you get the best of both worlds.. there is some nice development out in Helotes for example.

FkLA
05-07-2015, 03:09 PM
Thanks for all the input nigs. :tu

The more I've thought about it ~1500 sq ft seems great after living in a small apt, but not sure if Id be satisfied with that 5 years from now. Starting to lean towards just renting until we are ready to get a really nice one tbh.

apalisoc_9
05-07-2015, 03:16 PM
Thanks for all the input nigs. :tu

The more I've thought about it ~1500 sq ft seems great after living in a small apt, but not sure if Id be satisfied with that 5 years from now. Starting to lean towards just renting until we are ready to get a really nice one tbh.

you can always sell the house and use the money for your future house. You're money is going down the drain with renting.

Blake
05-07-2015, 03:24 PM
you can always sell the house and use the money for your future house. You're money is going down the drain with renting.

you're basically renting the house for the first few years of your mortgage. The banks make you pay a shit load of interest up front during that time. You need a solid ten years of ownership to have some decent equity, imo.

And if you go a few months without being able to rent out the place, you've got yourself a double mortgage payment.

apalisoc_9
05-07-2015, 03:29 PM
you're basically renting the house for the first few years of your mortgage. The banks make you pay a shit load of interest up front during that time. You need a solid ten years of ownership to have some decent equity, imo.

And if you go a few months without being able to rent out the place, you've got yourself a double mortgage payment.

at 150k, I'd imagine by the 5th year you'd have some sort of equity already..no?

I'm not really a home owner. I just rent...

Twisted_Dawg
05-07-2015, 04:21 PM
^ Those are tiny for the price, and the first two look run down IMO. The 3rd one is under an active option contract.

For a $120K budget on the North Side of SA you are not going to get a palatial palace in pristine condition.

Blake
05-07-2015, 04:27 PM
at 150k, I'd imagine by the 5th year you'd have some sort of equity already..no?

I'm not really a home owner. I just rent...

Not much equity iirc no. Again, first three years or so the bank takes your payment and applies it solely to interest without putting much if any towards principle.
It takes approx 10 to put a nice dent into the principle. If you plan to sell in five years, you just hope demand and market value jump up.

Home ownership really isn't always the investment it's made out to be.

Lol even when you pay off the mortgage, you pay rent to the government in the form of property taxes.

m>s
05-07-2015, 04:36 PM
^not to mention you pay the property taxes the whole time not just once it's paid off.

DJR210
05-07-2015, 04:38 PM
For a $120K budget on the North Side of SA you are not going to get a palatial palace in pristine condition.

You'll be surprised what pops up on the market.. at that range most homes do need repair, but a lot of them are well over 1800 sq feet.. those homes are overpriced at that size

Trill Clinton
05-07-2015, 05:01 PM
Man, I would just wait a little bit until you can live in the nicer area. Nothing wrong with renting. I live in Austin and things are really expensive here, especially if you are within 8 miles or less to downtown. My downtown highrise apt that was 900 square feet was $2400 a month :lol

Have a house now, but even being outside of downtown still expensive.

Wait until you can live inbetween Bulverde & Blanco off of 1604 or around 281.

this, just rent and save.

there are some nice subdivisions in the converse area as well whenever you get your bread up.

DarrinS
05-07-2015, 05:54 PM
Move outside city limits not too far from town so you get the best of both worlds.. there is some nice development out in Helotes for example.

Lol, that's where I live. Still too crowded for my liking.

Spurs9
05-07-2015, 06:29 PM

Used to live near Evans, the traffic is incredibly bad on 281 still.

DPG21920
05-07-2015, 07:32 PM
If I lived in SA I would just rent somewhere down by the Pearl. Especially if you don't have kids.

Leetonidas
05-08-2015, 02:19 AM
There's patches of ghetto that fuck up a lot more decent area as far as Marbach.. Heritage near Marbach is fucking trash, but Heritage near Potranco is like a different neighborhood. Park Place is the next neighborhood over, and it's night and day vs. Heritage..

Fucking nigs fucking up the entire city.
For real...anything near Marbach is trash :lol I hated meeting my old bud guys in Adams Hill or at that Shell station right there. surprised I never got robbed

DJR210
05-08-2015, 05:06 AM
For real...anything near Marbach is trash :lol I hated meeting my old bud guys in Adams Hill or at that Shell station right there. surprised I never got robbed

Yeah Adams Hill has always been trashy. Heritage Park used to be the classy part of Heritage, but the ghetto section 8 housing faggots fucked that up too.

Chomag
05-08-2015, 11:52 AM
Places around warzbach and NW military near phil harburger park seem pretty nice I just moved to this area a month ago and it's been all pretty peaceful. Also Bandera out near 1604 has been exploding with new development lately. If you have children then everything north outside of 1604 is best because of the schools.

CosmicCowboy
05-08-2015, 01:38 PM
Places around wurzbach and NW military near phil harburger park seem pretty nice [/B]I just moved to this area a month ago and it's been all pretty peaceful. Also Bandera out near 1604 has been exploding with new development lately. If you have children then everything north outside of 1604 is best because of the schools.

That is a great area but will be way out of his 120K budget.

cantthinkofanything
05-08-2015, 01:41 PM

Maybe you could recommend something near your favorite child hooker district?

Blake
05-08-2015, 02:47 PM

yeah, it'll be tough to find anything under $200 around there.

FWIW, If you're Jewish, it's a great area. The huge Jewish Community Center is right on the Wurzbach/Military and that Alon Market HEB has a huge kosher aisle along with fresh kosher bakery items.

blkroadrunners
05-08-2015, 05:02 PM
The southside past 410 and 90 is expanding quite some, especially in the areas near Medina base and Ray Ellison. Don't know the value on the new houses though.

DarrinS
05-08-2015, 05:14 PM
Places around warzbach and NW military near phil harburger park seem pretty nice I just moved to this area a month ago and it's been all pretty peaceful. Also Bandera out near 1604 has been exploding with new development lately. If you have children then everything north outside of 1604 is best because of the schools.

Damn, dude. Why not just suggest Shavano Park for his 120k budget? :lmao

CosmicCowboy
05-08-2015, 07:30 PM
yeah, it'll be tough to find anything under $200 around there.

FWIW, If you're Jewish, it's a great area. The huge Jewish Community Center is right on the Wurzbach/Military and that Alon Market HEB has a huge kosher aisle along with fresh kosher bakery items.

Meh...it's a great area period. Takes me 8 minutes to get to work downtown. 5 minutes from the airport but not in the landing pattern and hundreds of restaurants within 10 minutes. Alon market rocks.

illusioNtEk
05-08-2015, 09:55 PM
I live around the Jones Maltsburger and Thousand oaks area... pretty nice

DJR210
05-08-2015, 10:06 PM
The southside past 410 and 90 is expanding quite some, especially in the areas near Medina base and Ray Ellison. Don't know the value on the new houses though.

:lol he said he wanted 'good neighborbhoods'

Having lived on the SW side before, and being very familiar w/ Valley Hi, that's a fucking ghetto shithole. Break ins are common, there's a bunch of tagging everywhere because parents don't teach their kids to value anything.. 1/5 homeowners care enough to maintain their yards..

All those new houses they are building out there look decent on the outside (they are cookie cutter, but they're new at least), but all that area qualifies for the cities revitalization programs - aka ghetto trash limited income, w/ 5 kids, no money for a down payment, but want to own a home.

DJR210
05-08-2015, 10:11 PM

Right? Reading the OP is asking for too much these days.

blkroadrunners
05-09-2015, 12:47 AM
:lol he said he wanted 'good neighborbhoods'

Having lived on the SW side before, and being very familiar w/ Valley Hi, that's a fucking ghetto shithole. Break ins are common, there's a bunch of tagging everywhere because parents don't teach their kids to value anything.. 1/5 homeowners care enough to maintain their yards..

All those new houses they are building out there look decent on the outside (they are cookie cutter, but they're new at least), but all that area qualifies for the cities revitalization programs - aka ghetto trash limited income, w/ 5 kids, no money for a down payment, but want to own a home.

It's a weird area. I think most of the expansion especially in the Valley Hi area is to benefit the military families commute better, however a few I've seen and know rather reside in the 90/1604 area or past outside Castroville to get away from the riff-raff.

DJR210
05-09-2015, 01:14 AM
It's a weird area. I think most of the expansion especially in the Valley Hi area is to benefit the military families commute better, however a few I've seen and know rather reside in the 90/1604 area or past outside Castroville to get away from the riff-raff.

90 and right inside 1604 used to be really nice, but it's turning into the rest of Heritage. If you take a Google maps drive through the area you can see all the tagging, 30 cars on the front lawn, overgrown grass, and crap that not having an HOA to regulate starts to build up and ruin the neighborhood as people start selling and renters start moving in.

DarrinS
05-09-2015, 07:16 AM
I would suggest the OP first pick a neighborhood within 15-20 miles of work. Look for one that has homes in the 180k to 200k range and then search for foreclosures. I think this is a better way to stretch that budget. Just my 2 cents.

Blake
05-09-2015, 12:37 PM
Meh...it's a great area period. Takes me 8 minutes to get to work downtown. 5 minutes from the airport but not in the landing pattern and hundreds of restaurants within 10 minutes. Alon market rocks.

True

Xevious
05-10-2015, 12:20 AM
No.

Even if you had any equity... the realtor fees, closing costs, maintenance, etc would far exceed it. And that's assuming you can sell the place quickly without it sitting on the market for months while you continue to write mortgage checks. People lose thousands by selling houses a few years after buying them. Bottom line, don't buy a house you can't afford or aren't planning on staying at for at least 10 years or so.

DMC
05-10-2015, 01:12 AM
120K home is going to be a deferred maintenance project home. I'm talking about tree rats in the attic, wiring out of code, water damage, roofing issues, cracked foundations, basically high dollar work (even at the family discount) that would put you upside down on it. I didn't even mention landscaping, which is generally going to be not so expensive because there won't be any land.

DMC
05-10-2015, 01:15 AM
I hear the Dominion is ok for starter homes.

Biernutz
05-10-2015, 02:04 AM
Here is a map link to homes for sale in San Antonio city limits that are
$100K --$130K....When you scan in the map more houses come up...

http://www.trulia.com/for_sale/San_Antonio,TX/11_zm/29.373446739725487,29.62385497102903,-98.91521221191408,-98.25328594238283_xy/100000-130000_price/map_v

Nbadan
05-10-2015, 02:05 AM
You could find a starter home or town home North of the airport that is better than throwing money on rent...

Biernutz
05-10-2015, 02:09 AM
You could find a starter home or town home North of the airport that is better than throwing money on rent...

No houses in his price range...unless it's a repo that needs work

Nbadan
05-10-2015, 02:11 AM
No houses in his price range...unless it's a repo that needs work

There are small starter homes...just don't expect a home larger than 1800 square feet without spending more than 250K

Biernutz
05-10-2015, 02:14 AM
There are small starter homes...just don't expect a home larger than 1800 square feet without spending more than 250K

I live north of the airport. Starter homes at 1500 sq ft start at $140 +..unless it is a repo home

Nbadan
05-10-2015, 02:18 AM
I live north of the airport. Starter homes at 1500 sq ft start at $140 +..unless it is a repo home

I could point you to a neighborhood in the 125K range...

Biernutz
05-10-2015, 02:19 AM
I could point you to a neighborhood in the 125K range...

Go

Nbadan
05-10-2015, 02:24 AM
Go

Go to Zillow...there is a whole neighborhood of homes of off Trent street and Brook Garden Lane...Price range from 120 to 140

Nbadan
05-10-2015, 02:28 AM
For that you get the best middle school in SA, one of the best high schools, a renovated elementary school, one of the best library branches in the city, restaurants, the largest park, retail and the hottest clubs in SA...

Biernutz
05-10-2015, 02:39 AM
Go to Zillow...there is a whole neighborhood of homes of off Trent street and Brook Garden Lane...Price range from 120 to 140

They have some 1000sqft 2bed 2bath homes that are garden homes on Trent lane. They are so packed together
that they are more like apartments or townhouses. I consider a starter home a 1400 sqft home 3-2 with parking for 2 cars.
It's a very dense house packed area with no yards and lots of people. But if that's what's you like...I think you would get
more bang for your money if you worked with a relator to get a bank repo north of that area. ....that's if you are handy with
home repairs....

This is Trent lane houses

http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/26407189_zpid/29.569116,-98.470387,29.566666,-98.475161_rect/17_zm/0_mmm/?view=map

DJR210
05-10-2015, 02:49 AM
They have some 1000sqft 2bed 2bath homes that are garden homes on Trent lane. They are so packed together
that they are more like apartments or townhouses. I consider a starter home a 1400 sqft home 3-2 with parking for 2 cars.

1000 square feet is the same size as large apartments.. no thanks. You'll outgrow that house in 2 years, wishing you never bought it. Then you're gonna go through the hassle of selling and moving again.

Oh, Gee!!
05-10-2015, 05:59 PM
Rofl. You'd have to spend $30k in burglar bars and security cams....maybe a front yard gate

Pussy

Blake
05-11-2015, 08:34 AM
Pussy

That'll make me move there

CosmicCowboy
05-11-2015, 11:58 AM
No.

Even if you had any equity... the realtor fees, closing costs, maintenance, etc would far exceed it. And that's assuming you can sell the place quickly without it sitting on the market for months while you continue to write mortgage checks. People lose thousands by selling houses a few years after buying them. Bottom line, don't buy a house you can't afford or aren't planning on staying at for at least 10 years or so.

The part about needing to stay a few years for the numbers to really work is true but with the low interest rates you can still build equity. I bought a house in the Alon Market area for my daughter a couple of years ago that was a little over $150,000. Closing costs with 5% down were about $9000 and the monthly payment is $1200 @ 3.5% interest (including taxes and insurance). It has increased in value 5% a year and adds $275 a month in equity. It would already rent for more than the monthly payment. If you do buy make sure you have the sellers include a one year home owners warranty...saved a ton when the AC needed service and the hot water heater started leaking.