PDA

View Full Version : Parker/Ginobili/Duncan should retire...

SequSpur
05-06-2015, 11:34 AM
Time to move on....

lefty
05-06-2015, 11:36 AM
I agree tbh

Mikeanaro
05-06-2015, 11:56 AM
Parker should retire.

ThomasamohT
05-06-2015, 12:02 PM
Parker's not retiring anytime soon. Best thing to hope for is for him to get healthy and drop a few pounds.

AFBlue
05-06-2015, 12:08 PM
Disagree to agree.

hater
05-06-2015, 12:57 PM
Agreed.

Brazil
05-06-2015, 01:04 PM
:lol new age Spurs fans

UZER
05-06-2015, 01:06 PM
Parker this year was 2011 Duncan. He's at a crossroad in his career and needs to change his entire approach to remain elite.

And get a consistent jumper dammit!!! Shame on him for being in the league this long and still not having one.

hater
05-06-2015, 01:14 PM
Parker this year was 2010 Adam Morrison. Please don't insult Duncan that way.

Manu is jim Morrison's dead body.

Duncan is usable but perhaps him retiring will make the other 2 shitbags retire. :lol

I agree with OP premise. Time to move on

Gagnrath
05-06-2015, 02:06 PM
Why should Duncan retire? a big with his production his last deal was a value and the next one is likely to be more so. Manu looks old. Parker isn't going to retire with roughly 29 mil + possible bonuses on the table... I'd try to deal him while he still has value.

Juggity
05-06-2015, 03:10 PM
Parker this year was 2011 Duncan. He's at a crossroad in his career and needs to change his entire approach to remain elite.

And get a consistent jumper dammit!!! Shame on him for being in the league this long and still not having one.

Interesting idea, I agree with the first part. The problem right now is conditioning and health for him. The jumper I'm not worried about. His jumper has been elite for a few years. The skill is there, the conditioning/health is not.

What he really needs to do is use this summer to rehab the injuries and work back into shape. Hopefully no team france.

EVAY
05-06-2015, 03:49 PM

this. Duncan was making $22 Million a year in 2011 (or 12?) and no one imagined that he was worth anywhere near that. Now, he looks better than he did then. Parker can and should pay as much attention to his body as Duncan did. Pop said in his exit Q and A that he was excited about Tony's plans for the off-season and repairing his body. Nobody had the guts to ask him about that, but I wished they had.

UZER
05-06-2015, 03:51 PM
Interesting idea, I agree with the first part. The problem right now is conditioning and health for him. The jumper I'm not worried about. His jumper has been elite for a few years. The skill is there, the conditioning/health is not.

What he really needs to do is use this summer to rehab the injuries and work back into shape. Hopefully no team france.

His jumper has always been inconsistent, like LeBron. There are times it's rolling, but its not consistent enough to force the defense to always honor it.

UZER
05-06-2015, 04:13 PM
Plus, he doesn't have the ability to just pull up when someone is bodying him up. He always needs a screen or two dribbles to get his shot off.

Dverde
05-06-2015, 05:21 PM
Parker has a kid to feed. No way

Dex
05-06-2015, 05:22 PM
Plus, he doesn't have the ability to just pull up when someone is bodying him up. He always needs a screen or two dribbles to get his shot off.

Parker doesn't have the size or strength to force a gap with a defender who is bodying him, so unless he learns how to do Dirk's fadeaway, I don't see this happening.

UZER
05-06-2015, 05:54 PM
Parker doesn't have the size or strength to force a gap with a defender who is bodying him, so unless he learns how to do Dirk's fadeaway, I don't see this happening.

I didn't mean defenders pushing him around, I just meant playing close contact defense.

It's not about forcing a gap with physicality, it's about knowing how to get create space to get your shot off even with players playing tightly. Paul can do it, so can Curry, Lillaird, Conley, Harden, etc.

Parker needs to work on that part of his game. It forces the defense to commit to him and not sag way under screens.

ElNono
05-06-2015, 06:45 PM
Junpshooting Parker will never be as effective or efficient as penetrating Parker.

To be a difference maker, he needs to get back in shape, regain his speed and attack the basket again...

baseline bum
05-06-2015, 06:53 PM

Parker this year was 2006 Van Exel

UZER
05-06-2015, 07:01 PM
Junpshooting Parker will never be as effective or efficient as penetrating Parker.

To be a difference maker, he needs to get back in shape, regain his speed and attack the basket again...

Who said that he would? It's not about becoming a jumpshooter. Its about having a respectable enough jumpshot to allow him to still be effective as a penetrating Parker. Hes not getting any younger so just being speedier than others is not a given anymore.

RD2191
05-06-2015, 07:06 PM
Parker will be outplayed and outmatched every night out West. CP3, Conley, Curry, Lillard, Westbrook just too name a few. The PG position is stacked around the league. And I haven't even named the PGs out East. Parker is also a liability on defense seeing as he sure as hell can't guard any of those guys. We roll with him because he's what we've got but anyone who thinks he is going to play better next season is delusional.

ElNono
05-06-2015, 07:29 PM
Who said that he would? It's not about becoming a jumpshooter. Its about having a respectable enough jumpshot to allow him to still be effective as a penetrating Parker. Hes not getting any younger so just being speedier than others is not a given anymore.

If he doesn't have the speed anymore, then he largely won't be penetrating Parker anymore. And he won't be a difference maker, jumpshot or no jumpshot, IMO.

UZER
05-06-2015, 07:50 PM
If he doesn't have the speed anymore, then he largely won't be penetrating Parker anymore. And he won't be a difference maker, jumpshot or no jumpshot, IMO.

You don't have the to speedy to penetrate. You just have to keep the defense off balance. Without speed, and a unreliable jumper, you get this years Parker. He couldnt drive because people sagged off of him so far. A jumper forces them to come out further spreading the defense. It opens everything up.

The days of Parker completely dominating with speed are over. Hes just not that fast at this age anymore.

ElNono
05-06-2015, 08:42 PM
You don't have the to speedy to penetrate. You just have to keep the defense off balance. Without speed, and a unreliable jumper, you get this years Parker. He couldnt drive because people sagged off of him so far. A jumper forces them to come out further spreading the defense. It opens everything up.

The days of Parker completely dominating with speed are over. Hes just not that fast at this age anymore.

He doesn't have that kind of game though. Manu was crafty and had reckles abandon. Tony had the speed. Teams have been giving Tony the jumper since the Phil Jackson era back in the early 2000's. And it works.

What the Spurs have historically done is use the bigs to screen and open up lanes to the basket. But if he doesn't have the speed, he just can't get there quickly enough.

A 'solid' jumper is going to give him a 40% shooting average... he was a 50%+ scorer when he could get into the paint.

dabom
05-06-2015, 08:45 PM
"Lol" at people thinking tony is ever going to be serviceable ever again. Especially shooting jumpers. :lmao

99 Problems
05-06-2015, 08:54 PM
Duncan is still elite both ends of the floor. One of only a few real superstars in the league. Why retire? Unless he feels like it.

TheGoldStandard
05-06-2015, 08:56 PM
It's a grind to be an athlete playing all those games and all that travel especially at 39. The desire could be there but do you have the players to get the job done to make it worth it? He has to decide if he wants to but I think the Spurs offseason plans will influence his return

UZER
05-06-2015, 11:08 PM
He doesn't have that kind of game though. Manu was crafty and had reckles abandon. Tony had the speed. Teams have been giving Tony the jumper since the Phil Jackson era back in the early 2000's. And it works.

What the Spurs have historically done is use the bigs to screen and open up lanes to the basket. But if he doesn't have the speed, he just can't get there quickly enough.

A 'solid' jumper is going to give him a 40% shooting average... he was a 50%+ scorer when he could get into the paint.

Yes, I know Tonys history. The fact that they were pulling the "Tony can't shoot jumpers" in the early 2000s just prove my point even more. He's had a lot of time to add a reliable jumper. He didn't, now he's struggling at this older age.

"He just needs to be fast again" is lazy.

ElNono
05-06-2015, 11:15 PM
Yes, I know Tonys history. The fact that they were pulling the "Tony can't shoot jumpers" in the early 2000s just prove my point even more. He's had a lot of time to add a reliable jumper. He didn't, now he's struggling at this older age.

I actually think he's improved his jumper a lot over his career. But shooting jumpers is intrinsically limited vis a vis layups, that's basically all I'm saying.

That's why it was always kind of difficult to figure out how he could evolve his game when speed invariably goes, especially for a guy that is a good floor general, but doesn't have the court vision or passing of other more gifted players.

I still hold out hope he can reinvent himself somehow...

MultiTroll
05-06-2015, 11:24 PM

Not to mention one of the worst passers for a point guard.
Plenty of time to have worked on that too.
Him and Popped are selfish. The End.

rogcl1
05-06-2015, 11:27 PM

This

100%duncan
05-07-2015, 01:10 AM
Tim is still a top 10 big :lol

Manu will most likely retire.

And TP will eat.

Clipper Nation
05-07-2015, 01:19 AM

Porker should never be compared to Duncan unless the comparison is "wow, Enrique is a much shittier player than Tim."

hater
05-07-2015, 11:05 AM
daily bump

hopefully the 2 shitbags can read this thread. someone sticky this

The Reckoning
05-07-2015, 02:42 PM
now that parker's old you can see how gimmicky his play has been. he lacks fundamental basketball tbh. the anti-duncan.