PDA

View Full Version : OT: Holyfield - Boxing's Fight for Relevance

benefactor
05-06-2015, 07:53 PM
Carpet bombs of truth tbh.

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/mayweather-vs-pacquiao-state-of-boxing-a-fight-for-relevance/

Mitch
05-06-2015, 08:04 PM
Are we talking about the same Holyfield that was known as the dirtiest fighter in his division during his prime? Those head butts were brutal.

Buddy Mignon
05-06-2015, 08:06 PM
You are one serious fucking idiot. Floyd has been fighting the same way for 20 years. All of you idiots thought Manny had what it took to beat his style. Floyd made Manny look like a chump and now everyone is pissed. Fuck off faggot and go bump my thread.

benefactor
05-06-2015, 08:25 PM
:lol you...the Asian fake black man who religiously follows a homosexual cartoon...calling anyone a faggot.

K...
05-06-2015, 08:37 PM
Dang, so the villian is as always the fucking the judges. Plus ca change.....

I'm happy he agrees that UFC is the more dynamic organization. The biggest advantage ufc has over boxing is that the org is controlled by less than three people and can dictate terms. UFC is going to have an amazing summer fwiw. There's kind of a lull now.

Anyway, the main plan he has: force judges to reward aggression penalize holding running, seems simple but i don't think it is. Boxing judges are independent. Who is going to force them to change? Fighters? HBO? venues?

Trill Clinton
05-06-2015, 08:48 PM
Dang, so the villian is as always the fucking the judges. Plus ca change.....

I'm happy he agrees that UFC is the more dynamic organization. The biggest advantage ufc has over boxing is that the org is controlled by less than three people and can dictate terms. UFC is going to have an amazing summer fwiw. There's kind of a lull now.

Anyway, the main plan he has: force judges to reward aggression penalize holding running, seems simple but i don't think it is. Boxing judges are independent. Who is going to force them to change? Fighters? HBO? venues?

what ufc is paying their fighters under the new sponsorship through reebok

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CEVnzI3VIAAwPZ-.jpg

ufc is flabby and sick. nothing dynamic about them payouts, doggie.

http://eliteja.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/floyd-mayweather-showoff-money.jpg

Mitch
05-06-2015, 08:52 PM

http://eliteja.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/floyd-mayweather-showoff-money.jpg

What can you expect, one fight is basically more valuable than the entire UFC.

benefactor
05-06-2015, 08:53 PM
Stop moving the goalposts. We are talking about quality of product not cash payouts. There are plenty of shitty products that make a lot of money. Just look at the music industry.

Clipper Nation
05-06-2015, 08:54 PM
I'm happy he agrees that UFC is the more dynamic organization.

MMGay is so "dynamic" that Dana White had to ride on Floyd's coattails to get anyone to pay any attention to his dying "sport."

Trill Clinton
05-06-2015, 08:55 PM
the biggest fighter in ufc is a woman, nuff said.

Clipper Nation
05-06-2015, 08:55 PM
Stop moving the goalposts. We are talking about quality of product not cash payouts. There are plenty of shitty products that make a lot of money. Just look at the music industry.

Or the two-second-long Ronda Rousey "fights" that UFC charges $60 for and suckers actually buy.

Mitch
05-06-2015, 08:58 PM

And you link an article with the name Evander Holyfield? The guy who headbutted Tyson into rage?

mercos
05-06-2015, 09:03 PM

Those figures are not UFC salaries. That is sponsorship money paid by Reebok, as they will now be the sole sponsors of all UFC fighters. They get money from the UFC as well, which can be a lot or a little depending on their popularity.

Trill Clinton
05-06-2015, 09:07 PM
Those figures are not UFC salaries. That is sponsorship money paid by Reebok, as they will now be the sole sponsors of all UFC fighters. They get money from the UFC as well, which can be a lot or a little depending on their popularity.

little. ufc fighters make pennies compared to boxing.

benefactor
05-06-2015, 09:09 PM
And you link an article with the name Evander Holyfield? The guy who headbutted Tyson into rage?
Regardless of the author's history he makes plenty of good points about boxing. No one wants to watch "defense" for 12 rounds. That's why the Spurs/Pistons was one of the lowest rated Finals ever.

benefactor
05-06-2015, 09:11 PM
Or the two-second-long Ronda Rousey "fights" that UFC charges $60 for and suckers actually buy.
I didn't buy that bullshit. I agree Rousey is an overhyped gimmick by Dana.

DMX7
05-06-2015, 09:12 PM
Are we talking about the same Holyfield that was known as the dirtiest fighter in his division during his prime? Those head butts were brutal.

Now that's a truth bomb.

Clipper Nation
05-06-2015, 09:13 PM
I didn't buy that bullshit. I agree Rousey is an overhyped gimmick by Dana.

"She" is also the only thing MMGay has left :lol

Boxing is a permanent part of the American sporting tradition, MMGay is a fad that has long since peaked and declined.

Floyd Pacquiao
05-06-2015, 09:15 PM
Holyfield is retarded and punch drunk.

Mitch
05-06-2015, 09:16 PM
Regardless of the author's history he makes plenty of good points about boxing. No one wants to watch "defense" for 12 rounds. That's why the Spurs/Pistons was one of the lowest rated Finals ever.

He's in no place to criticize boxing... he bent the rules and he's criticizing somebody who follows them closely?

Floyd Pacquiao
05-06-2015, 09:17 PM
Canelo will make more this weekend than any ufc fighter this year :lol

benefactor
"She" is also the only thing MMGay has left :lol

Boxing is a permanent part of the American sporting tradition, MMGay is a fad that has long since peaked and declined.
MMA has enough roots in the martial arts disciplines to carry it. Popularity may rise and fall but it will likely remain.

Boxing has two names carrying the whole sport. If it doesn't evolve it will die with them.

K...
WOW no one read the damn article? UFC is just a small part of it. Basically, Holly is saying judges are rewarding boxers for being pussies. And so are you boxing nut huggers. Who gives a shit about whether UFC treats their fighters right? As an organization they put on about fights about every 1.5 weeks. most of them are decent. Boxing is living is smoke filled rooms at this point. i'd bet there more money in cock fighting than boxing if you ignore may may's fight.

If you watch every boxing promotion, good for you. But if you are just a May May fun, fuck you. You are not a boxing fan, your a player fan and you aint doing shit for a noble and historical sport. IF boxing weren't so boring maybe i'd be more deferential and suck may may's dick. But i aint going to make excuses for a guy who can't expoit a five inch reach advantage against a damn gimpy shoulder ggassed philpino.

K...
05-06-2015, 09:18 PM
I:M A BOXING FAN I DON:T LIKE KNOWCKOUTS GIVE ME DEFFENSE< I LIKE ROPE TAG< I WICH TEHY HAD SOFTER GLOVES>>>>>>OH MONEY!!!!!!

Mitch
05-06-2015, 09:20 PM
I:M A BOXING FAN I DON:T LIKE KNOWCKOUTS GIVE ME DEFFENSE< I LIKE ROPE TAG< I WICH TEHY HAD SOFTER GLOVES>>>>>>OH MONEY!!!!!!

Yeah, let's promote this...

http://cache3.asset-cache.net/gc/645434-hasim-rahman-shows-a-bulge-on-his-forehead-due-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=OCUJ5gVf7YdJQI2Xhkc2QNgECI7s938Nb4bOwhe1YFOrR1EN Tv%2b7d2xNJKQUmBZRkKQt%2bqFVuNEseEkt60hoQg%3d%3d

Holyfield v Rahman
ATLANTIC CITY-JUNE 1: Hasim Rahman shows a bulge on his forehead due to a broken blood vessel after a headbutt by Evander Holyfield during the heavyweight title fight at the Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, New Jersey on June 1, 2002. The fight was stopped after the 8th round in Holyfield's favor. ( Photo by Al Bello/Getty Images )
Credit: Al Bello / staff

Infinite_limit
05-06-2015, 09:20 PM
Pac was aggressive and controlled the Ring

benefactor
05-06-2015, 09:22 PM
He's in no place to criticize boxing... he bent the rules and he's criticizing somebody who follows them closely?
You going to address the actual subject matter within the article or are you just going to keep dismissing it because of the authors history?

Clipper Nation
05-06-2015, 09:23 PM

:lmao Melt the fuck down, faggot.

AlexJones
05-06-2015, 09:26 PM
http://media0.giphy.com/media/wPPr9RqABd0iY/giphy.gif

Sean Cagney
05-06-2015, 09:26 PM
Holyfield is retarded and punch drunk.Did you even read it? Obviously not because it did not sound punch drunk or retarded what he said in there.

DarrinS
05-06-2015, 09:30 PM
Good read. :tu

I hope this style of "fighting" dies.

Mitch
05-06-2015, 09:34 PM
You going to address the actual subject matter within the article or are you just going to keep dismissing it because of the authors history?

Can't properly address the subject if it's authored by Holyfield. It's an article that wants boxing to favor brawlers over boxers, go watch UFC if that's what you want.

Clipper Nation
05-06-2015, 09:41 PM
Good read. :tu

I hope this style of "fighting" dies.
You realize you sound exactly like all the Kirby/Dirk/Nash stans a decade ago who used to whine that Duncan was "boring," right?

DarrinS
05-06-2015, 09:45 PM
You realize you sound exactly like all the Kirby/Dirk/Nash stans a decade ago who used to whine that Duncan was "boring," right?

Terrible comparison.

Clipper Nation
05-06-2015, 09:46 PM
Terrible comparison.

How is it a terrible comparison? Duncan, like Floyd, has a fundamental, technical style that casual fans misinterpret as being "boring."

resistanze
05-06-2015, 09:47 PM
WOW no one read the damn article? UFC is just a small part of it. Basically, Holly is saying judges are rewarding boxers for being pussies. And so are you boxing nut huggers. Who gives a shit about whether UFC treats their fighters right? As an organization they put on about fights about every 1.5 weeks. most of them are decent. Boxing is living is smoke filled rooms at this point. i'd bet there more money in cock fighting than boxing if you ignore may may's fight.

If you watch every boxing promotion, good for you. But if you are just a May May fun, fuck you. You are not a boxing fan, your a player fan and you aint doing shit for a noble and historical sport. IF boxing weren't so boring maybe i'd be more deferential and suck may may's dick. But i aint going to make excuses for a guy who can't expoit a five inch reach advantage against a damn gimpy shoulder ggassed philpino.

Why are these articles coming out now? People didn't know that's how he fought for almost 20 years, before making it the most expensive fight in history?

K...
05-06-2015, 11:28 PM
I don't think mayweather is the problem. The thing is, he's the face of boxing now. So he has to take peoples frustration that old good boxing is dead.

And is still say, it's sad that the supposed greatest of all time with a five inch reach advantage with a shoulder gimped philopno who slowd down in the later rounds. You don't at least try and get the hit? I mean there's floyd, undefeated boring, and floyd, undefeated wrecked a man at the biggest fight of his life.

I fell sorry for boxing fans. This fight was your year. Maybe 5 of y'all are legit boxing fans. But people who dismiss holyfiled are player fans and not boxing fans. If you want judges to call fights then what separated boxing from other judged sports like ice dancing?

Y'all motherfucker like dancing, coordination, skill? Ice dancing. Try it.

Malik Hairston
05-06-2015, 11:32 PM
:lol why are people acting like this is exclusive to boxing?

Every time there's a "defensive" era in sports, fans hate it..the NBA in the Pistons/Spurs era, the current post-steroids MLB, the NHL of the late 90s with the Devils, the NFL is always trying to give the offense the advantage, etc..all of these sports have implemented rule changes or alterations to aid the offense due to complaints from fans and media about entertainment factor..

Fans and media hate defense, regardless of sport, even when it's highly skilled and strategical..

Boxing is a tough one, because for the individual, being a defensive-minded, strategic fighter like Floyd is by far the best option for him..makes millions, wins fights, doesn't suffer brain damage like most great boxers of the past..

DPG21920
05-06-2015, 11:34 PM
Problem is MW is so unlikeable with such a bad past (plus his reading level is offensive) that no one will appreciate his style even if they should. He's a terrible person to have as the face of a sport.

Malik Hairston
05-06-2015, 11:36 PM
Problem is MW is so unlikeable with such a bad past (plus his reading level is offensive) that no one will appreciate his style even if they should. He's a terrible person to have as the face of a sport.

Most great boxers are shitty people, you almost have to be if you're making your living trying to cause brain damage to your opponent:lol..

Mike Tyson was idolized(people hated him, too, but not like Floyd), and he was an even worse person than Mayweather..

DPG21920
05-06-2015, 11:36 PM
Sure, but when you factor in the "defensive" style + terrible person that just bought his first Goosebumps book, you get disaster.

apalisoc_9
05-06-2015, 11:46 PM
terrible read.

Boxing is full of hard hitters today..even more so than the 90's.

Floyd is the face of the sport so it doesn't help but to say boxers today dont have KO mentality is beyond stupid.

Thebesteva
05-06-2015, 11:54 PM
Most great boxers are shitty people, you almost have to be if you're making your living trying to cause brain damage to your opponent:lol..

Mike Tyson was idolized(people hated him, too, but not like Floyd), and he was an even worse person than Mayweather..

How's that?

Mikeanaro
05-07-2015, 12:08 AM
Are you saying Bieber Katy Perry and Adele are not high quality ¨musicians¨? What about One Direction and Usher? they are considered by many experts as the new pioneers of sound induction and music elevation, surpassing the works of people like Mozart, Beethoven, Korsakov and of course Kenny G.

Mikeanaro
05-07-2015, 12:17 AM
How is it a terrible comparison? Duncan, like Floyd, has a fundamental, technical style that casual fans misinterpret as being "boring."
You are a funny guy but come on, Duncan is not hiding or running away from games and calling himself the best ever, Floyd is not just boring is a disgrace for the whole boxing sport, if you fight like him in a real world situation people will be laughing almost dying calling you a chickenshitter but because is Floi the media says he is a MENSA strategist with flawless reflexes and a parking sensor when in reality is a... chickenshitter.

LnGrrrR
05-07-2015, 05:04 AM
Pretty much this for me. It's why I think boxing isn't as popular anymore. Mayweather doesn't really go toe-to-toe throwing punches. Is it smart? Sure. Does it prolong his career? Definitely. But just not something I'm willing to spend money to see.

baseline bum
05-07-2015, 07:06 AM
Pretty much this for me. It's why I think boxing isn't as popular anymore. Mayweather doesn't really go toe-to-toe throwing punches. Is it smart? Sure. Does it prolong his career? Definitely. But just not something I'm willing to spend money to see.

I love watching Mayweather fight, I'm just pissed as a boxing fan we didn't see him fight Pacquiao back when Pacquiao was a world class boxer. Instead we see Floyd wait until Manny was Jordan on the Wizards.

DarrinS
05-07-2015, 07:36 AM
That style of fighting is like college basketball before the shot clock. Why do you suppose they added the shot clock and are now considering shaving 5 seconds off the current shot clock?

The Gemini Method
05-07-2015, 10:42 AM
That style of fighting is like college basketball before the shot clock. Why do you suppose they added the shot clock and are now considering shaving 5 seconds off the current shot clock? This. Plus why the fuck does College basketball still use the antiquated shot clock since all they really are is a junior league for those who split after one year for the NBA. Might as well have th same shot clock so that the haves that will be joining the league and the 5'10 dudes who'll never make it in the NBA get a shot at lease having something similar to the NBA to play in.

Pelicans78
05-08-2015, 05:51 AM
Pac was aggressive and controlled the Ring

But he really didnt after the 4th round.

Pelicans78
05-08-2015, 05:55 AM
The reason why boxing isn't popular is due to the heavyweight being dominated by two guys who won't ever fight each other and who haven't been challenged in years. The heavyweight fights really move the needle in boxing. Sure the little maggots can have their fame for a few years like in the early to mid 80s, but after awhile the heavyweights have to step up which happened once Tyson and Holyfield came along followed by others.

Infinite_limit
05-08-2015, 01:12 PM
The reason why boxing isn't popular is due to the heavyweight being dominated by two guys who won't ever fight each other and who haven't been challenged in years. The heavyweight fights really move the needle in boxing. Sure the little maggots can have their fame for a few years like in the early to mid 80s, but after awhile the heavyweights have to step up which happened once Tyson and Holyfield came along followed by others.

Or its no longer popular because it's today a shitty product

TampaDude
05-08-2015, 01:48 PM

^ this

We're all waiting for the next Mike Tyson. Will he ever come along? Who the fuck knows?

The so called Mayweather-Pacquiao "fight" was a traveshamockery. Why do you think they were both smiling after the fight? They played the suckers and are laughing all the way to the bank.

Mr Bones
05-08-2015, 02:06 PM
I think the 10 point must system is the least sophisticated scoring system in sports. In any other sport, dominance in an inning or a quarter matters and carries over to the final outcome . If the Tigers outscore the Yankees 4-1 in the first inning and then the Yankees outscore the Tigers 1-0 in the second inning, the Tigers are still ahead 4-2. In boxing, the fighters are even at that point, with a 19-19 score because each fighter has won one round 10-9. The 10 point must system doesn't even use numbers 1 thru 6, and 7s are incredibly rare. Landing 5 more punches in a round will likely get you a 10-9 win in the round, just as landing 25 or 45 more punches will. In basketball, one team can lose the first three quarters by small margins, but still win the game with a great 4th quarter. That's nearly impossible in boxing, barring a knockout. A boxing judge can honestly think that one boxer landed more shots overall, and landed more good shots, but still be compelled by the system to award the other fighter the win due to multiple rounds of close, uninteresting, and just barely measurable wins. It's just a bad scoring system.

Infinite_limit
05-08-2015, 02:12 PM
I think the 10 point must system is the least sophisticated scoring system in sports. In any other sport, dominance in an inning or a quarter matters and carries over to the final outcome . If the Tigers outscore the Yankees 4-1 in the first inning and then the Yankees outscore the Tigers 1-0 in the second inning, the Tigers are still ahead 4-2. In boxing, the fighters are even at that point, with a 19-19 score because each fighter has won one round 10-9. The 10 point must system doesn't even use numbers 1 thru 6, and 7s are incredibly rare. Landing 5 more punches in a round will likely get you a 10-9 win in the round, just as landing 25 or 45 more punches will. In basketball, one team can lose the first three quarters by small margins, but still win the game with a great 4th quarter. That's nearly impossible in boxing, barring a knockout. A boxing judge can honestly think that one boxer landed more shots overall, and landed more good shots, but still be compelled by the system to award the other fighter the win due to multiple rounds of close, uninteresting, and just barely measurable wins. It's just a bad scoring system.
Agreed

Buddy Mignon
05-08-2015, 02:25 PM

When I first came to this site... the Spurs organization were hailed as a bunch of choir boys that did no wrong. Seven later after being stood up at the alter by Dick. Parker fucking Barry's wife... yeah... that's what really caused both divorces. Neal raping. GM drunk driving... and Jim cucking... we see that everyone has some shit going on.

Mitch
05-08-2015, 02:36 PM

Mayweather's past is beating a woman and not being a great reader.

You know who cares about that? The people who want him to lose.
You know who buys his fights? The people who want him to lose.
You know who headlines the 3 highest grossing boxing matches in history? The man people want to lose.

DPG21920
05-09-2015, 09:06 AM
So then you think boxing is doing well.