PDA

View Full Version : Did Duncan regress on his mid-range jumper?

sexinthatsx
05-06-2015, 08:00 PM
Taking a look back at the first round series against the Clippers, I've noticed that Duncan attempted very few of his bank shots and mid-range jumpers from just outside the key. He was dominant in the low-post however. Do you think he lost his signature bank shot touch?

DarrinS
05-06-2015, 08:16 PM
You answered your own question.

Mikeanaro
05-06-2015, 08:41 PM
Those bankshots are a nice thing from the past.

hooperflash
05-06-2015, 08:48 PM

Yup, you go to what's working for ya.. for Timmy, it was scoring inside the paint with ease.

sexinthatsx
05-06-2015, 10:42 PM

Can't help but feel like his mid-range jumper would have helped space the floor so much more and actually allow easy baskets in the paint.

DPG21920
05-06-2015, 10:45 PM
Yes.

Sean Cagney
05-06-2015, 10:48 PM
Those bankshots are a nice thing from the past.

^^^^ Yep.

daslicer
05-06-2015, 11:02 PM
Duncan's midrange shot has always been shaky even during his prime it was shaky to some degree.

Malik Hairston
05-06-2015, 11:08 PM
His jump shot has been dead for 2 years after looking better than ever in 2012 and 2013, tbh..

Mikeanaro
05-06-2015, 11:53 PM
Yup, you go to what's working for ya.. for Timmy, it was scoring inside the paint with ease.
At least Timmy has low post game thank god, Whats left for Dirk now that his mid-jumpers have regressed?

Dex
05-07-2015, 12:08 AM
Jumpshot was trash all year, tbh.

So was his bankshot.

Fortunately, Timmy is a GOAT, so he just focused on his post game.

Gervin44Silas13
05-07-2015, 07:18 AM
knee problems with Dirk on his shot

100%duncan
05-07-2015, 07:22 AM
Post-game was working. Bank shot has been dead a long time ago.

k_nguyen93
05-07-2015, 07:38 AM
His jump shot has definitely regressed in recent years. From the bankshot angle, he seems to pump fake and drive for the sweeping hook a lot more. Top of the key jump shots always seem to be short. He just doesn't have the same lift anymore.

Darius McCrary
05-07-2015, 09:51 AM
He abandoned it, just like his left handed jump hook.

Russ
05-07-2015, 10:11 AM
He scored 27 on 11-16 in his last game (at age 39).

He needs to keep regressing.

Leetonidas
05-07-2015, 10:25 AM
I miss the bank shot :depressed

TDfan2007
05-07-2015, 01:56 PM
Why shoot mid-range shots when you score on your matchup almost every time in the post?

And I think his jumper has declined due to his left knee getting worse. His shot was noticeably flatter this year.

dabom
05-07-2015, 01:57 PM
Too bad Tony kept chucking.

sexinthatsx
05-07-2015, 02:04 PM
Why shoot mid-range shots when you score on your matchup almost every time in the post?

And I think his jumper has declined due to his left knee getting worse. His shot was noticeably flatter this year.

You shoot mid-range shots so the defense respects you. For the better half of the series, if Duncan actually made a lot of his mid-range jump shots like Blake Griffin did, DJ would not be the interior presence that he is. Think about all the wide open mid-range jumpers that Griffin had, that would've been the Spurs if Duncan made his.

Obstructed_View
05-07-2015, 02:05 PM
Over the last two or three years, the Spurs' offense doesn't need Duncan shooting long jumpers when it's clicking. Usually having him shoot that is a give-up play or something that happens at the end of the shot clock. Duncan's touch around the basket this year was as good as it's been in several years.

TDomination
05-07-2015, 02:14 PM
His jumpshot has regressed and I feel its not that big of a deal. His bankshot though, man i miss it. He was so killer with it.

TDfan2007
05-07-2015, 03:11 PM
You shoot mid-range shots so the defense respects you. For the better half of the series, if Duncan actually made a lot of his mid-range jump shots like Blake Griffin did, DJ would not be the interior presence that he is. Think about all the wide open mid-range jumpers that Griffin had, that would've been the Spurs if Duncan made his.

Spurs won a championship with him all-but abandoning the mid range shot in last year's playoffs. But I would definitely like to see him regain his touch next year. I just don't think it'll happen with that knee of his.

Obstructed_View
05-07-2015, 04:20 PM
Spurs won a championship with him all-but abandoning the mid range shot in last year's playoffs.

Exactly. It's the offense. When the golden rule is to pass up good shots for great shots, a Duncan 18 footer is almost never the best shot they can generate. The last several years, Duncan shooting more than two or three jumpers in a game is a good indicator that they're going to lose.

sexinthatsx
05-07-2015, 04:26 PM
Exactly. It's the offense. When the golden rule is to pass up good shots for great shots, a Duncan 18 footer is almost never the best shot they can generate. The last several years, Duncan shooting more than two or three jumpers in a game is a good indicator that they're going to lose.

I understand it's not the best shot, but when you can take those two or three chances no the shot, it keeps the defense predicting instead of anticipating Duncan's automatically going to post up every time. When you're in a triple threat position and you can't shoot the jumper, you just limited your moves by 33.3%. Now I'm not saying that Duncan needs to jack up shots like Parker, but at least take a few throughout the game. In the chance that he makes it, it will keep the defense on their toes and respect Duncan when he's that far out of the key.

Obstructed_View
05-07-2015, 04:37 PM
I understand it's not the best shot, but when you can take those two or three chances no the shot, it keeps the defense predicting instead of anticipating Duncan's automatically going to post up every time. When you're in a triple threat position and you can't shoot the jumper, you just limited your moves by 33.3%. Now I'm not saying that Duncan needs to jack up shots like Parker, but at least take a few throughout the game. In the chance that he makes it, it will keep the defense on their toes and respect Duncan when he's that far out of the key.

I disagree. It's not a good shot. If I'm an opponent, I'll give him 20 of those rather than guys getting layups or threes in rhythm. Duncan's pretty easy to bait into taking that shot. Nobody has figured out how to defend the Spurs' offense when it's rolling.

G-Dawgg
05-07-2015, 06:51 PM
Duncan's mid range jumper was money during the 2013 season. It hasn't been nearly as good since..

sexinthatsx
05-07-2015, 06:59 PM
I disagree. It's not a good shot. If I'm an opponent, I'll give him 20 of those rather than guys getting layups or threes in rhythm. Duncan's pretty easy to bait into taking that shot. Nobody has figured out how to defend the Spurs' offense when it's rolling.

Spurs were thinking the same thing. Unfortunately Blake Griffin made like 90% of those mid range jumpers :(

therealtruth
05-07-2015, 08:17 PM

Don't forget his big jumper at the end of game 5. Yeah but if TD could shoot it like Blake it would really help things. All our bigs should have that shot in their arsenal. It's always available in the playoffs. It doesn't mean you have to goto it first but when the plays break down it can take alot of pressure of the offense.

DMC
05-07-2015, 08:22 PM
Yes I called it a couple years ago at least and people flipped their wigs.

Obstructed_View
05-07-2015, 10:06 PM
Spurs were thinking the same thing. Unfortunately Blake Griffin made like 90% of those mid range jumpers :(

Blake's midrange jumper is as automatic now as David West was a few years back. You give Blake that because it's slightly less accurate than a dunk or a layup.

dabom
05-07-2015, 10:13 PM
Blake gets an open 10 foot jumper because CP3 draws 2 defenders and sometimes 3 leaving blake open all the dam time. Tim Duncan gets a 15or more jumper. The level of difficulty is way different especially for PFs.

cd021
05-07-2015, 10:13 PM
the Parker/Duncan P&R option during the 13' Finals run was scary. Help off Parker and you're leaving Duncan open (who at the time was an above average mid shooter). If you didn't Parker could get into the lane and collapse defenses or pull for a jumper.

Duncan has changed his game and continued be effective. Hit 51% of his shots for almost 14ppg in 28 mpg

tim_duncan_fan
05-07-2015, 11:25 PM
His jumper was amazing the year before last.

Think this goes back to my one problem with TD...he can still have his confidence shaken fairly easily after all these years.

He completely gave up on the jumper this year for no reason. Was absolutely terrified of shooting it this season.

z0sa
05-07-2015, 11:28 PM
:lol what?