PDA

View Full Version : Bidge saves the day, beats an old friend

Jimcs50
09-08-2005, 09:13 AM
Bidge saves the day
3-run HR in 9th off old pal Wagner lets Astros sweep
By JOSE DE JESUS ORTIZ
Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

PHILADELPHIA - Long before he took the mound at Citizens Bank Park Wednesday night against his former Astros teammates, Philadelphia Phillies closer Billy Wagner planned to give his 7-year old son, Will, a memento from Craig Biggio.

Biggio was kind enough in July to autograph one of his popular No. 7 Astros jerseys, which Wagner will deliver to his son today in Virginia during the Phillies' day off.

Biggio wasn't nearly as kind to the elder Wagner in the ninth inning Wednesday. He ripped Wagner's 95-mph fastball into the left-field bleachers for a three-run homer, pushing the Astros to a come-from-behind, 8-6 victory.

"This keeps getting better," said Wagner, who suffered the final two losses in the Astros' three-game sweep. "I'm going to say, 'Here son. Here's a jersey from the guy that hit a home run off your dad.' "

Wagner and Biggio have shared a friendship since Wagner made his debut with Houston in 1995 and remained in the organization until he was traded to the Phillies shortly after criticizing Astros owner Drayton McLane on the final day of the 2003 season.

Even in their most intense teasing, though, Biggio never joked about pounding a homer off Wagner, a four-time All-Star who suffered only his third blown save of the year and only his third loss since leaving the Astros.

When Wagner challenged with a 1-1 fastball, Biggio pounced to keep the Astros atop the National League wild-card standings, one game ahead of the Florida Marlins and 2 1/2 games ahead of the Phillies.

"He threw me one fastball in, and I kind of didn't see it real well off him," Biggio said. "It's the first time I ever faced Wags, so the next pitch he pounded me inside again. I just had a feeling. If he's going to get beat — I know Wags — he's going to get beat with his fastball.

"I very easily could have popped it up, but I was able to square it up and we get out of here with another win."

Ironically, the Astros have won 12 consecutive games against the Phillies, all since trading Wagner to Philadelphia. For the first time in Houston franchise history, the Astros have swept consecutive season series against another franchise.

"They're great ballplayers, and if I have to lose to great ballplayers, then that happens," Wagner said. "That's why I am what I am. You go out there and you battle against these guys.

"Will's liked Bidge because he always played with him and wrestled around in the clubhouse with him."

After trailing 3-2, the Astros took a brief lead in the sixth inning. Lance Berkman, who had homered to center in the second, drew a leadoff walk, and Jason Lane followed with a double down the left-field line to bring up Mike Lamb, who ripped a three-run homer over the right-field wall off Vicente Padilla.

Astros righthander Dan Wheeler, who entered the game ranked first among NL relievers and second in the majors for allowing the fewest runners per nine innings, took over in the eighth inning and issued a leadoff walk to Jason Michaels. One out later, Bobby Abreu tied the score at 5 with a two-run shot over the center-field wall.

Wheeler's problems continued as he walked Pat Burrell. Ryan Howard followed with a double to right field, prompting Astros manager Phil Garner to pull in the infielders. After Phillies manager Charlie Manuel sent in Endy Chavez to run for Burrell, Wheeler intentionally walked David Bell to load the bases.

Pinch hitter Michael Tucker hit a fielder's choice grounder off new reliever Chad Qualls to first base, where Berkman fielded the grounder and threw home for the force. Another pinch hitter, Shane Victorino, followed with an RBI single to right to give the Phillies a 6-5 lead with his first major-league hit since May 14, 2003, and his first RBI since May 3, 2003.

With two outs in the ninth, the Astros made a final threat when Jose Vizcaino reached on Bell's error at third. Willy Taveras followed with an infield single to short, setting up the meeting between two friends.

"(Wednesday) was definitely a roller-coaster day," Biggio said. "It was a close game, and then they tied it up with Bobby's big home run. Then they come back and scored and put us down. Willy not giving up and running all the way through the base gave us a chance. That was a nice game right there."

[email protected]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Astros Summary