PDA

View Full Version : Veteran Bonner 'hopes to be back’ with Spurs

spursparker9
05-08-2015, 11:44 AM
http://ww2.hdnux.com/photos/35/37/32/7730845/17/920x920.jpg

Big man believes he can still contribute

http://www.expressnews.com/sports/spurs/article/Veteran-Bonner-hopes-to-be-back-with-Spurs-6249177.php?t=39b0af9b682466b4f9&cmpid=twitter-premium

Richie
05-08-2015, 11:47 AM
He was worth having when he was an elite shooter, last year he only put up 36% on threes. Time to move on, he can join the front office or coaching staff

TXstbobcat
05-08-2015, 11:47 AM
Dude just retire!!!!

kobyz
05-08-2015, 11:48 AM
Ok As the sixth big, but rather as Backy replacment as assistant coach...

in2deep
05-08-2015, 11:48 AM
worthless bum

spursparker9
05-08-2015, 11:49 AM
His biggest contribution for the Spurs throughout his career in SA is probably last year WCF series against OKC.

He probably won't retires. He said there are teams calling his agent.

loveforthegame
05-08-2015, 12:01 PM
It's time to move on. But he'll probably get a max offer.

Mugen
05-08-2015, 12:02 PM
jesus christ, this ginger is immortal tbh

Chomag
05-08-2015, 12:04 PM
dude is going to be literally a Spur for life!

spurraider21
05-08-2015, 12:08 PM
:pop: we need him to spread the floor

RD2191
05-08-2015, 12:09 PM
:pctoss

AFBlue
05-08-2015, 12:10 PM
Bonner for the vet min and spot player fulfilling a very specific role is fine. When he's making $4M/Yr and starting alongside Duncan is where I've had an issue in the past tbqh.

Dre_7
05-08-2015, 12:12 PM
Bonner for the vet min and spot player fulfilling a very specific role is fine. When he's making $4M/Yr and starting alongside Duncan is where I've had an issue in the past tbqh.

This.

As long as he is an end of the bench guy making the vet min I am all good with it.

UnWantedTheory
05-08-2015, 12:26 PM
:lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt2:

UnWantedTheory
05-08-2015, 12:27 PM
As long as he is an end of the bench guy making the vet min I am all good with it.

UZER
05-08-2015, 12:29 PM
For the love of Christ, no. Go away already.

Budkin
05-08-2015, 12:32 PM
Maybe head up the promotional videos team?

loveforthegame

BacktoBasics
The naysayers simply can't comprehend the off court(practice/scrimmage/scouting) value a vet who understands Pop system is to this team. Its not like he's is eating up cap space or filling a desperately needed roster spot. This guy is helping his teammates...not learning the system, trying to make the squad or playing outside his skill set. Its why he's brought back year after year.

cantthinkofanything
05-08-2015, 12:33 PM

This.

Bullshit. Pop has proven that he won't NOT play Bonner. He started games for fuck's sake. If Bonner is on the roster, rest assured that he will be taking time from younger players.

It is time for the Red Rocket to blast off.

timtonymanu
05-08-2015, 12:40 PM
Hopefully he means a front office job or something.

SpurSwag
05-08-2015, 12:40 PM
I really believe he's a really useful guy to have on the end of the bench for the vet's minimum. It definitely seems like his shooting has declined a bit, but he's still undoubtedly a floor spacer and that has value against teams like OKC and the Grizz.

Raven
05-08-2015, 12:45 PM

timtonymanu
05-08-2015, 12:45 PM
Where is my nigga SpurPadre at to celebrate this news?

DrunkTXLabrat
05-08-2015, 12:50 PM
It's sooooo passed time to move on. Bonner is as unclutch as RJ, and he has had Pop fooled for a lot longer. I don't quite understand why the stretch 4 role has to be the goofy shooter, why can't it be the Bobo/Slowmo? Maybe they can annoy the weaker opposing big, and hit a few 3's. That covers all of Bonner. But Bobo/Slowmo can also pass and handle, that helps cover Slippin Tony.

noles1983
05-08-2015, 01:01 PM
Bonner can work for the team catering their lunches. Making sandwiches of some shit.

AFBlue
05-08-2015, 01:08 PM
Bullshit. Pop has proven that he won't NOT play Bonner. He started games for fuck's sake. If Bonner is on the roster, rest assured that he will be taking time from younger players.

Pop has only played Bonner strategically in certain spots/matchups over the past two years, or out of necessity due to injury or poor performance from other contributors. If he's had a major role in any one game or series it's because the guys in front of him didn't pull their weight. Don't blame Pop...blame Splitter, Diaw, Ayres and Baynes.

Robz4000
05-08-2015, 01:09 PM

Aztecfan03
05-08-2015, 01:10 PM
The naysayers simply can't comprehend the off court(practice/scrimmage/scouting) value a vet who understands Pop system is to this team. Its not like he's is eating up cap space or filling a desperately needed roster spot. This guy is helping his teammates...not learning the system, trying to make the squad or playing outside his skill set. Its why he's brought back year after year.

Then let him coach.

TampaDude
05-08-2015, 01:16 PM

^ this, plus he's a Gator. :hat

cjw
05-08-2015, 01:19 PM
This.

Vet minimum also doesn't impact cap flexibility. I could be wrong, but I think if he resigns he counts for a minimum slot that would be a hold against the salary cap anyway.

Mikeanaro
05-08-2015, 01:23 PM
Only in pog form.

Taking it to the Hole
05-08-2015, 01:26 PM
The problem is Pop's philosophy on keeping players that are "great teammates" and "locker room guys" because they hold the team together during difficult times. I think even Pop will admit that Bonner's contributions are minimal but because he serves a purpose on the team, he is not going anywhere.

MullinFan
05-08-2015, 01:27 PM
Can we just pair him with Sean and dump Bill Land?

peacemaker885
05-08-2015, 01:28 PM

Red Mamba.

UZER
05-08-2015, 01:31 PM

you're right. Let's keep him on the roster until he's 50.

cantthinkofanything
05-08-2015, 01:45 PM
Pop has only played Bonner strategically in certain spots/matchups over the past two years, or out of necessity due to injury or poor performance from other contributors. If he's had a major role in any one game or series it's because the guys in front of him didn't pull their weight. Don't blame Pop...blame Splitter, Diaw, Ayres and Baynes.

"Strategically" + "Bonner"

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/179/e/0/chef_bot___does_not_compute__by_giframa-d555wi8.gif

Sean Cagney
05-08-2015, 01:52 PM
Dude just retire!!!!

^^^ I agree, go away already you suck. He hit one shot in the playoffs I believe from three out of the ones he took, literally one shot I remember going in an the rest even when wide open he bricked. He is horrible now, useless. Pop can't help play him though when he is here, his pet is his fave big man to stretch the floor.

Sean Cagney
05-08-2015, 01:55 PM

This, gtfo already. He can't help but play that guy.

His biggest contribution for the Spurs throughout his career in SA is probably last year WCF series against OKC.

He probably won't retires. He said there are teams calling his agent.
Yep, the BONNER game I call it, the one some point to every single time when trying to justify his worth because that is all they have to point to in the playoffs. He was 0-3 or so in one of those games as well, beside the point but he still sucked shooting in his so called game.

BillMc
05-08-2015, 02:07 PM
I really believe he's a really useful guy to have on the end of the bench for the vet's minimum. It definitely seems like his shooting has declined a bit, but he's still undoubtedly a floor spacer and that has value against teams like OKC and the Grizz.

slick'81
05-08-2015, 02:10 PM
Why so pop can yell at him where to go on the final play of the season !? fuck that dude

BillMc
05-08-2015, 02:15 PM
It is interesting that Bonner came out with this. I guess in those brief exit interviews Pop doesn't give much of a clue to players whether RC will be calling to re-sign them, or whether the market will decide, or even if they are NOT wanted back at any price. Obviously, Pop just told Manu and Tim he wants them back, but that seems like the exception to the rule. One wonders if Marco and and Danny and Ayers and CoJo and Baynes are given any feeling, no matter how slight, about whether they are wanted back in those brief end of season interviews.

NASpurs
05-08-2015, 02:16 PM
Further proof that Boner has blackmail on Pop.

Spur|n|Austin
05-08-2015, 02:19 PM
Wow, he is beyond done. Take a job in the FO and take a seat man.

cantthinkofanything
05-08-2015, 02:19 PM
It is interesting that Bonner came out with this. I guess in those brief exit interviews Pop doesn't give much of a clue to players whether RC will be calling to re-sign them, or whether the market will decide, or even if they are NOT wanted back at any price.

I'm pretty sure they were just hoping the problem would fix itself

https://rosecoleredramblings.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/milton-office-space.jpg

SayTown
05-08-2015, 02:25 PM
If Bonner is on the roster his biggest fan Pop is going to play him no matter how much of a TOSB he is, even if there are better players ahead of him. If Bonner wants to help the Spurs he should retire or go play in Atlanta or somewhere.

szkorhetz
05-08-2015, 02:32 PM
Did anyone see Spurstalk's facebook page?

Per source, Pop had a conversation with Danny Green and told him it's unlikely they will be able to afford him. They are looking at all the options.
-Cole

Gervin44Silas13
05-08-2015, 03:09 PM
He wants to come back and contribute to Matador defense

Fuck you Red Rocket

Retire bitch!

ElNono
05-08-2015, 03:38 PM

EVAY
05-08-2015, 03:49 PM
... This guy is helping his teammates...not learning the system, trying to make the squad or playing outside his skill set. Its why he's brought back year after year.

I disagree with your conclusion. I have always believed that Bonner is brought back every year because Tim loves him, and Tim gets one guy he likes. Like Tony got to bring in Boris. Tim has Bonner. Bonner has a great self-deprecating sense of humor, does indeed understand the system, and makes no demands on anyone. Him saying he wants to come back is a bigger signal to me that Tim is coming back than anything else.

SpurPadre
05-08-2015, 03:54 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

timtonymanu
05-08-2015, 03:57 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My dude. :toast

UZER
05-08-2015, 04:19 PM

- Vader

baseline bum
05-08-2015, 04:22 PM
I'd be fine with Bonner coming back. The Spurs can renounce him for capspace and still bring him back on a minimum deal. He's not a bad guy to have back at that price.

elemento
05-08-2015, 04:26 PM
rofl

Can't even hit a 3-pointer in a empty gym anymore. I just hope for god's sake that Pop let him go this time. He is completely useless.

TheGreatYacht
05-08-2015, 04:26 PM

This x1000

Idgaf if he's playing for the minimum like other posters are okay with... He's taking up a roster spot that could've gone to an actual NBA player, and as long as he has a jersey Pop will continue to find BS excuses to play this bum. The dude can't even run anymore he looks like an inbred T-Rex out there.

No need for a victory cigar when him and Ayres blew every lead the Spurs got this season.

baseline bum
05-08-2015, 04:28 PM
Vet minimum also doesn't impact cap flexibility. I could be wrong, but I think if he resigns he counts for a minimum slot that would be a hold against the salary cap anyway.

The hold against the cap is a rookie minimum slot, which is about 40-45% of what a veteran minimum slot is.

loveforthegame
05-08-2015, 04:30 PM
Make him a coach if his corporate knowledge is that important.

timtonymanu
05-08-2015, 04:49 PM
Make him a coach if his corporate knowledge is that important.

Yep, there's enough deadweight assistants on the bench. Make him replace Boylen, imo.

Nathan89
05-08-2015, 04:56 PM
Dude is still better than a lot of players at the end of most benches tbh. No reason not to bring him back.

Silver&Black
05-08-2015, 05:08 PM
I can't figure out if Bonner is a zombie or a vampire....the guy won't die.

Cloud786
05-08-2015, 05:18 PM
I'm more shocked at the fact that Bonner had teams wanting his services last summer :lol

SpurPadre
05-08-2015, 05:22 PM
My dude. :toast

I don't ask for much. You couldn't defend a title again? Ok, fine. But in the name of humanity, don't do this again. Please, PATFO, give me my well-deserved moment of seeing this piece of shit get shitcanned from the team for good. Please! I fucking beg them! I will celebrate like I've never celebrated before to see this team purge itself of this disgusting excuse of a postseason basketball player. PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!! GO AWAY, Bonner...LEAVE US THE FUCK ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.guzer.com/pictures/boy_dog_pray.jpg

itsamanuthree
05-08-2015, 05:25 PM
We need him to wipe the floor

SpurPadre
05-08-2015, 05:29 PM
I'm more shocked at the fact that Bonner had teams wanting his services last summer :lol

Did Subway start up a low-grade basketball league without my knowledge?

cjw
05-08-2015, 09:07 PM
The hold against the cap is a rookie minimum slot, which is about 40-45% of what a veteran minimum slot is.

Right, but couldn't they simply renounce Bonner and sign him at the minimum once other housekeeping is done?

I was thinking about how 1 year minimum deals get partially reimbursed by the league, but that doesn't impact the cap.

100%duncan
05-08-2015, 09:11 PM
Bonner is fine tbh. Hating him is so 2011

100%duncan
05-08-2015, 09:15 PM
I don't ask for much. You couldn't defend a title again? Ok, fine. But in the name of humanity, don't do this again. Please, PATFO, give me my well-deserved moment of seeing this piece of shit get shitcanned from the team for good. Please! I fucking beg them! I will celebrate like I've never celebrated before to see this team purge itself of this disgusting excuse of a postseason basketball player. PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!! GO AWAY, Bonner...LEAVE US THE FUCK ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.guzer.com/pictures/boy_dog_pray.jpg

:lmao

MI21
05-08-2015, 09:25 PM
He isn't an amazing shooter anymore, I really think it is time to move on. I think the Spurs would be better served filling that spot with someone to develop, you never know when you could come across the next Hassan Whiteside etc...

Ice009
05-08-2015, 09:32 PM
For fucks sake. I DO NOT want him back. He can't even hit a fucking shot anymore during a regular season game. I DO NOT want him back at all.

UZER
05-08-2015, 09:33 PM
He isn't an amazing shooter anymore, I really think it is time to move on. I think the Spurs would be better served filling that spot with someone to develop, you never know when you could come across the next Hassan Whiteside etc...

He never was an amazing shooter when it counted. His worst attribute to me, aside from many others, is the deer in the headlights fear he played with whenever he got the ball in games, especially the playoffs. The slightest look his way spooked him into passing the ball.

bigfan
05-08-2015, 10:47 PM
Nice guy, time to be gone.

DJR210
05-08-2015, 10:54 PM
keep hoping faggot

Sean Cagney
05-08-2015, 11:18 PM
Bonner is fine tbh. Hating him is so 2011Sadly he could actually shoot back then as compared to now, dude is just worthless now :lol
For fucks sake. I DO NOT want him back. He can't even hit a fucking shot anymore during a regular season game. I DO NOT want him back at all.

Ice you know how I feel about Bonner already and I agree 100%. He is just horrible.
He never was an amazing shooter when it counted. His worst attribute to me, aside from many others, is the deer in the headlights fear he played with whenever he got the ball in games, especially the playoffs. The slightest look his way spooked him into passing the ball.

That is why I was NEVER a fan of this guy, most unclutch Spurs player when it mattered since God knows when. He would be wide open and start missing threes.

Mikeanaro
05-08-2015, 11:27 PM
http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/d0/3b/1d/d03b1d5eac6afd07e837fc3310dc2362.jpg

Ice009
05-09-2015, 01:52 AM
I didn't even want him back this season let alone next season. No thanks.

SilverSpur
05-09-2015, 12:52 PM
With the front office ( Public Relations )

Spurs9
05-09-2015, 01:38 PM
Every year I think he won't be on the team he just keeps respawning.

BatManu20
05-09-2015, 02:40 PM
Not sure we can afford to lose this kind of athleticism, tbh.

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view2/1412321/matt-bonner-o.gif

DrunkTXLabrat
05-09-2015, 02:44 PM

this is what people just don't understand. They're happier with Reggie Williams than Glen Rice Jr.

DrunkTXLabrat
05-09-2015, 02:46 PM

bingo. or that shitty floater move he loves to try.

intlspurshk
05-09-2015, 11:31 PM
Tell him to retire. He can't hit 3 pts anymore

UZER
05-09-2015, 11:42 PM
Tell him to retire. He can't hit 3 pts anymore

When did he ever?

lefty20
05-09-2015, 11:51 PM
I'd rather give vet's min to Bonner than 14mil to Porker, tbh.

Sean Cagney
05-10-2015, 01:24 AM
F Bonner, leave already....

DrunkTXLabrat
05-10-2015, 06:00 PM
The Andrew Nicholson trade rumors are heating up again. Saw a blip about him not matching the magic core, earlier on rotoworld. I'd take Nicholson for a bag of chips, wave goodbye to Bonner, and happily never look back.

tholdren
05-10-2015, 07:07 PM
He was worth having when he was an elite shooter, last year he only put up 36% on threes. Time to move on, he can join the front office or coaching staff

Elite shooter my ass. Dude has never shot the ball anywhere near decent in the playoffs. SCRUB. Pop played the percentages with him, thinking that it was only a matter of shots before he was knocking down 40% in the playoffs. Boner has shot under 35% for 7 SEVEN out of 9 NINE years. Anyone on Spurstalk could do that.

Ice009
05-10-2015, 08:52 PM
Stop hoping to be back Bonner. We don't want you back. Thanks for OKC 2014 (the only time you really helped the team win in a playoff series), but it's time for you to move on. If some other team wants you and you still want to play, please leave.

pookenstein
05-11-2015, 04:00 AM
You guys need to realize that Matt will play for the Spurs long time after they have retired his Jersey...

playbonner15
05-11-2015, 04:36 AM
Great news! :toast

BillMc
05-11-2015, 04:41 AM
At the veteran minimum Bonner is still good value.

dbreiden83080
05-11-2015, 05:47 AM
He wants to sit around for most of the year and collect another 1.5 million.. Can't say I blame him..

venitian navigator
05-11-2015, 10:25 AM
Imho Bonner's place should be given to Bertans, a stretch four. Time to sign the young guy, that's already internationally experienced, with a long and economically small contract for giving him time to rehab without pressure and at the same time learn the system. A kind of solution, considering the health problems of Bertans, could be offer to Bonner a place in the coaching staff...with the option to get back as a player in case Bertans, for some reasons, is not gonna work...

look_at_g_shred
05-11-2015, 01:57 PM
^^^ I agree, go away already you suck. He hit one shot in the playoffs I believe from three out of the ones he took, literally one shot I remember going in an the rest even when wide open he bricked. He is horrible now, useless. Pop can't help play him though when he is here, his pet is his fave big man to stretch the floor. yup. I can bet though, if Bonner does retire, Ayres will be the new Bonner...ugh and YOU KNOW, Pop will not hesitate to play him.

Sean Cagney
05-11-2015, 02:03 PM
yup. I can bet though, if Bonner does retire, Ayres will be the new Bonner...ugh and YOU KNOW, Pop will not hesitate to play him.

Please tell me Ayres is a FA too? I thought he signed a 2 year deal? If so I hope he goes somewhere thinking he will play more and stays there, please let that happen. We can replace these two with anyone worth a damn and come out a winner.

Beaverfuzz
05-11-2015, 04:24 PM
All depends on who the Spurs sign this off-season. I would imagine that he won't be back though, maybe as an assistant.

milkyway21
05-11-2015, 06:14 PM
I hope Bonner will be gone by next season. Waste of bench $pot. He cannot shoot 3s not only this season but for a long time, .. why he's still here?

Sometimes I wonder if he's jinx (sorry Red Rocket fans).

therealtruth
05-11-2015, 06:27 PM
The Spurs need to get some quality backups. Your starters can't get better if the backups are not pushing them. We have enough veterans on this team so Bonner's not needed.

Mikeanaro
05-11-2015, 06:50 PM
The Spurs need to get some quality backups. Your starters can't get better if the backups are not pushing them. We have enough veterans on this team so Bonner's not needed.
Agreed thats the difference between a contender and a championship.

BacktoBasics
05-13-2015, 09:16 AM
Agreed thats the difference between a contender and a championship.It has no real merit in the discussion at all. As usual you're wandering left field like a moron.

Bonner holding a roster spot has never been about him being the highest quality backup available. There's no shortage of more talented players or players with more potential. Its that those "more talented" players aren't better than 6-8 off the bench and Bonner brings more value at the bottom of the roster than those more talented players do. For the reasons mentioned earlier...knows the system, plays his role, isn't trying to play out side his game or earn minutes, doesn't require coaching and is predominately a practice player.

You simply don't understand the value in having a guy who is physically capable of working within the offense and knows what to do in practices vs. a more talented player that takes up time being coached or developed.

It may not be the best thing for all teams but for Pop's team having that guy who doesn't require individual time or development holds more weight than a more talented player who needs attention/direction.

ErnestLynch
05-13-2015, 09:29 AM
Not if he steps on my lawn.

cantthinkofanything
05-13-2015, 09:45 AM
It has no real merit in the discussion at all. As usual you're wandering left field like a moron.

Bonner holding a roster spot has never been about him being the highest quality backup available. There's no shortage of more talented players or players with more potential. Its that those "more talented" players aren't better than 6-8 off the bench and Bonner brings more value at the bottom of the roster than those more talented players do. For the reasons mentioned earlier...knows the system, plays his role, isn't trying to play out side his game or earn minutes, doesn't require coaching and is predominately a practice player.

You simply don't understand the value in having a guy who is physically capable of working within the offense and knows what to do in practices vs. a more talented player that takes up time being coached or developed.

It may not be the best thing for all teams but for Pop's team having that guy who doesn't require individual time or development holds more weight than a more talented player who needs attention/direction.

Shut the fuck up. The fact that he's playing any minutes at all in a playoff game indicates that Pop can't let him just sit there. His defense is so bad that even if he shot 50% from 3 pt range, he would hurt the team. Either by giving up layups or by forcing other Spurs to pick up fouls.

Fuck what he does in practice. You think he was worth that last contract??? Quit looking for some way to justify that shit because it doesn't fly.

UZER
05-13-2015, 09:51 AM
It has no real merit in the discussion at all. As usual you're wandering left field like a moron.

So pop is lazy. Got it.

ducks
05-13-2015, 10:26 AM
need another person to take his role
that can give other players more completion on the team

BacktoBasics
05-13-2015, 11:13 AM
Shut the fuck up. The fact that he's playing any minutes at all in a playoff game indicates that Pop can't let him just sit there. His defense is so bad that even if he shot 50% from 3 pt range, he would hurt the team. Either by giving up layups or by forcing other Spurs to pick up fouls.

Fuck what he does in practice. You think he was worth that last contract??? Quit looking for some way to justify that shit because it doesn't fly.I'm not looking for anything. I'm not a fan of Bonner but I understand the value in his contract, why he's on the team and the role he fills. You can't get past the most elemental aspect of his face value to see the bigger picture. That's your shortcoming not the teams.

So pop is lazy. Got it.He's clearly weighed his options. In the last 3 years we seen a number of younger more talented players come and go but in the end their potential at the end of the bench didn't outweigh the value Bonner gives them. If it did they would have the roster spot and Bonner would be in gone or in a suit on the 2nd row. Again I can look beyond what we see on the court and anyone with an ounce of intelligence can surmise the benefits a vet like this brings to the club. If there's any team that puts more value in system than talent its the Spurs and if you don't get that then you clearly don't understand Spurs basketball.

What's lazy is thinking that building a team is about finding the 12-15 most talented players.

Mikeanaro
05-13-2015, 11:14 AM
BacktoBasics Bonner sucks there is no much more to analyze.

BacktoBasics
05-13-2015, 11:16 AM
Again you're out in left. His contact was never about his level of talent but all the other aspects he brings that outweigh the bottom line skill set of another signing. You're clearly too dense to comprehend that.

ElNono
05-13-2015, 11:18 AM
I have renewed hate for ginger at this point. Wish we could just do this:

http://gifwall.net/gif/gw-close20door.gif

Mikeanaro
05-13-2015, 11:23 AM
I have renewed hate for ginger at this point. Wish we could just do this:

http://gifwall.net/gif/gw-close20door.gif

:lmao But he is such a nice guy, why friendship and championships cant go along? he is a champion for sandwich hunting purposes.

cantthinkofanything
05-13-2015, 12:14 PM
I'm not looking for anything. I'm not a fan of Bonner but I understand the value in his contract, why he's on the team and the role he fills. You can't get past the most elemental aspect of his face value to see the bigger picture. That's your shortcoming not the teams.

They paid him damn near 4 million dollars per year until last season. Although I guess compared to TPs on a per basis, he's a steal now.

I'm too lazy to make a list of other players that make 4 million per year but I bet I can find some that would have made the Spurs a better team than Matty B. In any event, they need his spot to put someone than could help their future. If they NEED him to be part of practice, then give him an assistant job.

DrunkTXLabrat
05-13-2015, 02:11 PM
I'm not looking for anything. I'm not a fan of Bonner but I understand the value in his contract, why he's on the team and the role he fills. You can't get past the most elemental aspect of his face value to see the bigger picture. That's your shortcoming not the teams.

He's clearly weighed his options. In the last 3 years we seen a number of younger more talented players come and go but in the end their potential at the end of the bench didn't outweigh the value Bonner gives them. If it did they would have the roster spot and Bonner would be in gone or in a suit on the 2nd row. Again I can look beyond what we see on the court and anyone with an ounce of intelligence can surmise the benefits a vet like this brings to the club. If there's any team that puts more value in system than talent its the Spurs and if you don't get that then you clearly don't understand Spurs basketball.

What's lazy is thinking that building a team is about finding the 12-15 most talented players.

The benefits that a player like Bonner brings to a club are the same as Tony Allen, Nzar Mohommed, Steve Kerr, Jason Terry, James Posey, Doc Rivers. The guy should be on somebody else's team, helping give them a dose of championship pedigree. In whatever capacity is most effective. At this point, he's pretty much Nzar Mohommed, as a player. Bonner would actually be a top notch coaching option for the Pelicans, imo. Or he could be James Posey for the Knicks and add some Phil Jackson tutelage to his resume, while moving closer to home. Ideally, I'd prop up Robert Horry as Pelicans coach, with Bonner as an assistant. But that's all speculation, back to the point... the Spurs have enough championship pedigree, Bonner is a castaway that has never been cast away. The Spurs are short on guys who can actually defend or deflect the kind of post presence of Blake and Deandre. And that's why we see Pop/Bonner as the leads in Brokebacktoback Mountain.

Sean Cagney
05-13-2015, 02:30 PM

I agree with you 100%, don't understand how he is still good value for his paycheck and so on if he does absolutely nothing well nowadays. They don't even honor his three, he gets left wide open and still misses.
Again you're out in left. His contact was never about his level of talent but all the other aspects he brings that outweigh the bottom line skill set of another signing. You're clearly too dense to comprehend that.
So bringing in a guy who can actually play ball for a little bit more would be a bad move? He spreads the floor or is a good locker room guy, we get that to an extent but at the game of basketball he is not really good at all. He can't even shoot anymore.

It is time to go seperate ways, he can join the FO now and be a nice guy and a fan fave but his days of playing bball are done.

cantthinkofanything
05-13-2015, 02:34 PM
I agree with you 100%, don't understand how he is still good value for his paycheck and so on if he does absolutely nothing well nowadays. They don't even honor his three, he gets left wide open and still misses.

He's great in practice. Rumor has it that he worked Tiago on his defense before the Clippers series.

BacktoBasics
05-13-2015, 02:54 PM
They paid him damn near 4 million dollars per year until last season. Although I guess compared to TPs on a per basis, he's a steal now.

I'm too lazy to make a list of other players that make 4 million per year but I bet I can find some that would have made the Spurs a better team than Matty B. In any event, they need his spot to put someone than could help their future. If they NEED him to be part of practice, then give him an assistant job.Nice deflection and a completely different discussion altogether. I was never debating whether or not he was over paid. Only the value of the roster spot and the thinking behind why he was given a contract over less experienced higher potential or possibly more talented players. Try to stay on topic.

So bringing in a guy who can actually play ball for a little bit more would be a bad move? He spreads the floor or is a good locker room guy, we get that to an extent but at the game of basketball he is not really good at all. He can't even shoot anymore.

It is time to go seperate ways, he can join the FO now and be a nice guy and a fan fave but his days of playing bball are done.Well you're beside the point on two issues. His value compared to pay...which I addressed above. That is an entirely different debate.

Secondly you presume that a more expensive but slightly better player is an option. Which is nothing more than an empty platitude.

Sean Cagney
05-13-2015, 03:01 PM
Nice deflection and a completely different discussion altogether. I was never debating whether or not he was over paid. Only the value of the roster spot and the thinking behind why he was given a contract over less experienced higher potential or possibly more talented players. Try to stay on topic.

Well you're beside the point on two issues. His value compared to pay...which I addressed above. That is an entirely different debate.

Secondly you presume that a more expensive but slightly better player is an option. Which is nothing more than an empty platitude.
They can fill the roster spot if he leaves this summer and be just FINE imo, being his play on the court is not that good anymore (Never was in the playoffs) and you can't deny that no matter how you try to justify him and his contract. His contract is cheap I admit but his contributions on the court are minimal at this point so he is taking up a roster spot pretty much along with Ayres (Who both are FA's THANK GOD). Bonner coming back or not will have no bearing on how the team moves or does going forward, period.

RD2191
05-13-2015, 03:07 PM
the only thing bonner brings to this team is vast knowledge on sandwiches. that's it. this "glue guy/leader" is a bunch of bullshit. duncan holds this team together, no one else.

cantthinkofanything
05-13-2015, 03:09 PM
Nice deflection and a completely different discussion altogether. I was never debating whether or not he was over paid. Only the value of the roster spot and the thinking behind why he was given a contract over less experienced higher potential or possibly more talented players. Try to stay on topic.

Bottomline. He's taking up space. Not valuable space. But space none the less. But you won't convince me that whatever he brings in knowing the system and in practice overrides the potential benefit of giving someone else a few minutes of game time here and there. If nothing else, to confirm whether some of the young guys are NBA ready or not.

r0drig0lac
05-13-2015, 03:16 PM
http://media.giphy.com/media/12XMGIWtrHBl5e/giphy.gif

Ditty
05-13-2015, 04:25 PM
the only thing bonner brings to this team is vast knowledge on sandwiches. that's it. this "glue guy/leader" is a bunch of bullshit. duncan holds this team together, no one else.

I can see the Spurs going through a stretch next year that we aren't looking very good, and everyone is going to claim that Bonner was the guy who kept everything together :lol

Mikeanaro
05-13-2015, 05:01 PM

It is time to go seperate ways, he can join the FO now and be a nice guy and a fan fave but his days of playing bball are done.
Basics is a weird guy, Bonner earns more than Patty Mills, plays little to nothing, doesnt have balls, cant even shot a 3, I cant see any sense of confidence, his defense is non existent, caveman´s body, etc.
He needs to go if we want to get serious, too much time and money he had.

AFBlue
05-13-2015, 06:58 PM
Basics is a weird guy, Bonner earns more than Patty Mills, plays little to nothing, doesnt have balls, cant even shot a 3, I cant see any sense of confidence, his defense is non existent, caveman´s body, etc.
He needs to go if we want to get serious, too much time and money he had.

Mills is getting paid $3M/yr whereas Bonner is on the vet min, half of which is paid by the league.

Mikeanaro
05-13-2015, 07:05 PM
Mills is getting paid $3M/yr whereas Bonner is on the vet min, half of which is paid by the league.
Yes this year thats true, but before he signed a 4 year 14mil deal which is too much for a traffic cone.

AFBlue
05-13-2015, 07:15 PM
Yes this year thats true, but before he signed a 4 year 14mil deal which is too much for a traffic cone.

Right, but we're not talking about paying him $4M to return again. He'd be getting the vet min, same as this year. I don't see why there's any issue with Bonner now that he's been relegated to the right role at the right cost.

Mikeanaro
05-13-2015, 07:56 PM
Right, but we're not talking about paying him $4M to return again. He'd be getting the vet min, same as this year. I don't see why there's any issue with Bonner now that he's been relegated to the right role at the right cost.
I think many of us feels its too late, he cant even shoot the 3 so you can put a guy like Kyle Anderson there shooting and if fails you cant get mad because at least you are developing him.
Something about BonBon gives Spurs bad luck... for us the Sandwich haters.