batman2883
09-08-2005, 10:40 AM
Jaguar is probably already fixed and cleaned

Trainwreck2100
09-08-2005, 10:40 AM
and a new color

batman2883
09-08-2005, 10:45 AM
ha ha ha ha trainwreck that is a pimp ass avatar whatever the hell it is damn straight....pikaaaaaaaaa chuuuuu

Kori Ellis
09-08-2005, 02:14 PM
The woman ran out into the middle of the street outside a night club at 2am and was struck by the car.

Hopefully she'll be alright.

I can't imagine hitting a person and then taking off. :wow

batman2883
09-08-2005, 02:18 PM
The driver was probably drunk too though at 2 in the morning.....and that person that got hit probably had a good buzz going

Spam
09-08-2005, 02:19 PM
Talk about a buzz kill.

batman2883
09-08-2005, 02:23 PM
Shit he was probably in a rush to get to Chachos....i know that hunger kicks in when your drunk or buzzed

Marklar MM
09-08-2005, 02:26 PM
Nah, he went to the gas station to stock up on munchies and more beer.

MannyIsGod
09-08-2005, 02:36 PM
Good thing it wasn't an OLLU student. They woudln't have had anything to run on the news then.

SpursWoman
09-08-2005, 02:42 PM
Good thing it wasn't an OLLU student.

:flipoff :fro

batman2883
09-08-2005, 02:46 PM
ha ha ha ha yeah because OLLU students arent worth the time

MannyIsGod
09-08-2005, 02:57 PM
Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm guessing there are hit and runs every day in a city of this size. The only time I've seen stuff on the news about something, is today.

Maybe a slow news day?

SpursWoman
09-08-2005, 03:05 PM
ha ha ha ha yeah because OLLU students arent worth the time

You might not think so, but my family might disagree....fortunately their opinion means more to me.

Kori Ellis
09-08-2005, 03:07 PM
Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm guessing there are hit and runs every day in a city of this size. The only time I've seen stuff on the news about something, is today.

Maybe a slow news day?

I think you are wrong. I don't think there's hit and runs every day.

SpursWoman
09-08-2005, 03:08 PM
BTW, that's terrible that that happened.....Jaquar or 300 year old, tricked-out Nova. If she(?) ran out into the street I would assume it was an accident...but that sucks that the driver took off. :(

Kori Ellis
09-08-2005, 03:09 PM
I take that back -- Maybe there's hit and runs every day car-on-car ... but I don't think there's hit and runs where a car hits a person.

MannyIsGod
09-08-2005, 03:09 PM
Maybe I'm looking for something that isn't there. I don't know where I would find statistics on that, though.

Kori Ellis
09-08-2005, 03:10 PM
You do realize that they hit a pedestrian, right? Not another car. That seems like an everyday occurence to you?

OLLU is a real place?

Hell, I thought it was like the Donkey Lady or the ghost tracks.

MannyIsGod
Yeah, and don't get me wrong. I think it's a shitty thing to happen to anyone. I just question the level of news coverage and any corrolation to where the student went to school.

MannyIsGod
09-08-2005, 03:11 PM
OLLU is a real place?

:lmao

Thats just fucked up!

I know lots of smart people that go to OLLU.

SWC Bonfire
09-08-2005, 03:11 PM
I can't imagine anyone hitting someone and not stopping who wasn't intoxicated at the time of the accident.

MannyIsGod
09-08-2005, 03:12 PM
You do realize that they hit a pedestrian, right? Not another car. That seems like an everyday occurence to you?
Yeah, I know the situation. Perhaps not everyday, but I think it happens pretty frequently.

Kori Ellis
09-08-2005, 03:12 PM
Yeah, and don't get me wrong. I think it's a shitty thing to happen to anyone. I just question the level of news coverage and any corrolation to where the student went to school.

So you think a pedestrian gets hit by a car everyday and the drive takes off?

I think you think too much. This has nothing to do with the person going to Trinity.

Look at this story - it doesn't even mention that.

Woman Runs into Street; Struck by Hit-and-Run Driver
LAST UPDATE: 9/8/2005 11:18:38 AM
Posted By: Laura Berryhill
This story is available on your cell phone at mobile.woai.com.
Watch this story...

Police are looking for a hit-and-run driver this morning, after a woman was struck while crossing the street.

Police tell News 4 WOAI that the 24-year-old woman ran out onto Broadway in front of Club Rebar just before 2:00 a.m. A dark sports car slammed into the woman, then drove off.

The woman was taken to University Hospital. Her condition is not being released until her next of kin are notified.

SpursWoman
09-08-2005, 03:13 PM
OLLU is a real place?

No, it's really a place. At least that's what they tell me everytime they call for Alumni donations. :spin

sa_butta
09-08-2005, 03:14 PM
I saw a pedestrian get hit at the airport about a year ago. I dont know how often it happens but it was akward to see. Security ran to handle the situation. Of course the driver did not take off.

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-08-2005, 03:15 PM
There was one involving a State volleyball player earlier this summer.

Kori Ellis
09-08-2005, 03:15 PM
Well, the woman is on her death bed, right?

So to me, it's logical that the story is getting a lot of press. And it doesn't have anything to do with where she went to school.

MannyIsGod
09-08-2005, 03:18 PM
Maybe I am off base, but I can't find statistics to back up what I'm saying so I can't really prove it.

sa_butta
09-08-2005, 03:18 PM
Well, the woman is on her death bed, right?

So to me, it's logical that the story is getting a lot of press. And it doesn't have anything to do with where she went to school.How do we know she is on her death bed if her condition was not released?

Kori Ellis
09-08-2005, 03:19 PM
How do we know she is on her death bed if her condition was not released?

I thought that they said she was in critical care on the news.

sa_butta
09-08-2005, 03:20 PM
I thought that they said she was in critical care on the news.I just read your post, I have not seen the news yet.

FromWayDowntown
09-08-2005, 03:27 PM
She actually died.

Woman Dead in Hit and Run Accident on Broadway (http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/MYSA090805.fatal.en.39c10750.html)

At 24 years old, I'd be surprised if she was a Trinity student, since Trinity doesn't have much of a non-traditional student population and doesn't have many graduate programs.

Even if she was a Trinity student, I suspect the story got more run because of the severity of her injuries and not because of the school to which she was admitted.

Kori Ellis
09-08-2005, 03:28 PM
The news better not run this story if she went to Trinity.

Manny doesn't think it's worth it. :rolleyes

MannyIsGod
09-08-2005, 03:30 PM
GMAFB, Because we know the stations around San Antonio run stories purely based on the journalistic merrit.

Where's the Lachino when I need him?

Vashner
09-08-2005, 03:30 PM
Manny did it.. (jk)

Kori Ellis
09-08-2005, 03:32 PM
GMAFB, Because we know the stations around San Antonio run stories purely based on the journalistic merrit.

Where's the Lachino when I need him?

Manny, you are being an ass on this subject. They were running the story because she was about to die and they were trying to find the driver/killer. Don't be such a cynical ass who spins everything into a political stance.

Half the stories or more never even mentioned Trinity.

FromWayDowntown
09-08-2005, 03:36 PM
Setting aside, for the moment, this accident, I find Manny's concern a very hard one to fathom.

I'm a Trinity graduate (I began, academically, elsewhere, transferred to Trinity for reasons that were beyond my control; I maintain more loyalty to my first institution than to Trinity, but I'm not unaware of what happens at both places). I've been keenly aware of any acknowledgments made of my Alma Mater for the last, say, 10 years. Just as Manny has his perception, I have mine.

My perception is that the only time the local media gives a crap about Trinity University is when something bad happens. A few years ago, there was a situation in which one Trinity student broke into another's apartment and opened fire. That got plenty of run in the local media. There was also a sitution in which Trinity's starting QB was arrested for disorderly conduct the night after TU won its National Semifinal and clinched a birth in the Stagg Bowl. Somehow, that story got more media time than the fact that Trinity had advanced to a national championship game.

Those stories get air time. Stories about Trinity's academic excellence, the signficant research it contributes, or the contributions of its students in the community are almost-entirely ignored in the local press.

Trinity is a remarkable academic institution, but in San Antonio, it seems that the institution is either viewed with great contempt or considered insignificant.

Kori Ellis
09-08-2005, 03:36 PM
She was a St. Mary's Law Student... not that it makes a difference.

Police Seek Driver In Fatal Hit-And-Run
Woman, 24, Killed

POSTED: 7:42 am CDT September 8, 2005
UPDATED: 2:57 pm CDT September 8, 2005

SAN ANTONIO -- A 24-year-old St. Mary's University Law School student was struck and killed by a luxury car as she tried to cross a street early Thursday morning, according to police.

Police said they are seeking the driver of a dark blue Jaguar in connection with the fatal hit-and-run.

Witnesses said the speeding vehicle struck Sarah Thompson as she was crossing the street in the 8100 block of Broadway about 2 a.m. after leaving a nearby bar.

Police said her body was thrown more than 100 feet.

Thompson, who has a Tyler address, was transported to University Hospital, where she died.

Police said the car -- believed to be a late '90s model Jaguar -- would have extensive damage to the front end, hood and windshield.

MannyIsGod
09-08-2005, 03:37 PM
I didn't say they were running the story because she was at trinity, I was saying that that every freaking commercial they ran for the news said "police looking for dark jaguar with dented hood" this morning.

I had the channel on KSAT, I don't know what other stations did.

Of course there is a news story there, but I'd be interested to see what the reaction would be if the student had been from somewhere else.

Kori Ellis
09-08-2005, 03:37 PM
She Was Not From Trinity. Get Over Yourself.

Kori Ellis
09-08-2005, 03:38 PM
I didn't say they were running the story because she was at trinity, I was saying that that every freaking commercial they ran for the news said "police looking for dark jaguar with dented hood" this morning.

Umm.. that's because they are looking for a killer.

MannyIsGod
09-08-2005, 03:39 PM
Setting aside, for the moment, this accident, I find Manny's concern a very hard one to fathom.

I'm a Trinity graduate (I began, academically, elsewhere, transferred to Trinity for reasons that were beyond my control; I maintain more loyalty to my first institution than to Trinity, but I'm not unaware of what happens at both places). I've been keenly aware of any acknowledgments made of my Alma Mater for the last, say, 10 years. Just as Manny has his perception, I have mine.

My perception is that the only time the local media gives a crap about Trinity University is when something bad happens. A few years ago, there was a situation in which one Trinity student broke into another's apartment and opened fire. That got plenty of run in the local media. There was also a sitution in which Trinity's starting QB was arrested for disorderly conduct the night after TU won its National Semifinal and clinched a birth in the Stagg Bowl. Somehow, that story got more media time than the fact that Trinity had advanced to a national championship game.

Those stories get air time. Stories about Trinity's academic excellence, the signficant research it contributes, or the contributions of its students in the community are almost-entirely ignored in the local press.

Trinity is a remarkable academic institution, but in San Antonio, it seems that the institution is either viewed with great contempt or considered insignificant.
I think its easily the best school in town. I didn't make the point really of one as the place of study, but rather the income bracket behind the student.

Kori Ellis
09-08-2005, 03:40 PM
She didn't go to Trinity.

MannyIsGod
Umm.. that's because they are looking for a killer.
Because once again, every time the police are looking for a killer they do that Right?

Kori Ellis
Because once again, every time the police are looking for a killer they do that Right?

In a circumstance where a pedestrian is hit by car, yes.

Just shut the fuck up.

TheWriter
09-08-2005, 03:41 PM

I'm sure there is. Minor and major ones. Hitting a car and taking off isn't going to be reported while hitting a person an running is.

timvp
09-08-2005, 03:41 PM
Sara could be a hispanic name. I'll wait to see a picture of her to see her racial makeup before I call Jesse Jackson.

Kori Ellis
09-08-2005, 03:42 PM
I'm sure there is. Minor and major ones. Hitting a car and taking off isn't going to be reported while hitting a person an running is.

Why don't you read the fucking thread. I said that hit and run, car on pedestrian where the person is on their death bed, is not an every day occurence.

MannyIsGod
09-08-2005, 03:42 PM
In a circumstance where a pedestrian is hit by car, yes.

Just shut the fuck up.
Jesus, why are you getting so pissed off and flustered?

I admited earlier I could easily be wrong, but the saying that its because they were looking for a killer doesn't fly. They don't run news spots everytime they are looking for a killer.

Kori Ellis
09-08-2005, 03:44 PM
Manny, I've seen you act stupid before. But to try to spin a girl getting hit by a car and the police looking for the car into one of your socio-political-racial causes is sick.
You always have to believe that there's an angle to everything. You made a point that it was about her being from Trinity, a rich school, when in fact, more than 1/2 the reports never even mentioned a peep about Trinity or even that she was a student.

You are just ranting just to rant. And you should be embarrassed. A girl is dead.

FromWayDowntown
09-08-2005, 03:46 PM

I admited earlier I could easily be wrong, but the saying that its because they were looking for a killer doesn't fly. They don't run news spots everytime they are looking for a killer.

It would be hard to determine, but I'd be willing to bet that in most circumstances where someone (regardless of race or class) is discovered to have been either killed or seriously injured in a fashion that might involve criminal conduct, the media will issue a report about the suspect. I can't say it's every case, because I'm not personally aware of every case. But I certainly hear a fair share of stories reported about suspects in murder and serious injury cases on the West Side, the East Side and the South Side.

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-08-2005, 03:46 PM
You rang?

Without seeing the stories myself, it's kind of hard to tell what you're getting at, Manny.

Seriously, the ratio of H&R in vehicles only to H&R with people has to be significantly less, so much so that the small frequency warrants coverage.

Remember a few years back about the handicapped lady who was hit crossing (I think it was) Eisenhower Rd. by a Ford truck (I believe). The story was compounded since she was handicapped, but it would have run anyway.

I don't forsee a rash of "Troubleshooters Explain Rise In H&Rs" type coverage. She got hit by a car and the driver left her to die.

That's the story.

You want to talk about lack of coverage...

http://sanmarcosrecord.com/articles/2005/08/17/news/news3.txt

August 17 for a July 31 story, and it wasn't even us that ran it. Now, we're paying the price for that coverage (which I won't get into).

sa_butta
09-08-2005, 03:47 PM

I admited earlier I could easily be wrong, but the saying that its because they were looking for a killer doesn't fly. They don't run news spots everytime they are looking for a killer.Even if she was not killed and she was severely hurt, I think it would be just to run a news story to search for the driver. But maybe the media knew the severity of the accident and thus ran the story.

MannyIsGod
09-08-2005, 03:47 PM
You rang?

Without seeing the stories myself, it's kind of hard to tell what you're getting at, Manny.

Seriously, the ratio of H&R in vehicles only to H&R with people has to be significantly less, so much so that the small frequency warrants coverage.

Remember a few years back about the handicapped lady who was hit crossing (I think it was) Eisenhower Rd. by a Ford truck (I believe). The story was compounded since she was handicapped, but it would have run anyway.

I don't forsee a rash of "Troubleshooters Explain Rise In H&Rs" type coverage. She got hit by a car and the driver left her to die.

That's the story.

You want to talk about lack of coverage...

http://sanmarcosrecord.com/articles/2005/08/17/news/news3.txt

August 17 for a July 31 story, and it wasn't even us that ran it. Now, we're paying the price for that coverage (which I won't get into).
Fair enough.

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-08-2005, 03:48 PM
As for the "looking for a killer" argument.

When it's a homicide, it's pretty much everywhere.

When it's because of a suspicious death, they're not necessarily looking for a "killer" in the sense of the word that equates it with "homicide."

TheWriter
09-08-2005, 03:52 PM
I think in order for us to prove Manny's theory correct or incorrect he should walk in the middle of a busy street get hit by a fellow SpursTalk.com forumer who will then flee the scene.

Then we'll gauge the local media's response.

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-08-2005, 03:53 PM
Regardless of the school and whether it was mentioned or not...I don't think it was an issue in this case at all, but when you have information that can either assist the search (such as a general location or if somebody knew the person and could help authorities) or the quality of newsworthiness that's one of the most important: proximity.

Theoretically, viewers/readers will respond/care more about something happening in their neighborhood.

From The Star's prespective, we wouldn't run a story about a San Antonio H&R, but we would about a San Marcos (comparing just those). We might be less inclined to run something about a San Marcos anything as compared to a similarly important Texas State thing.

MannyIsGod
09-08-2005, 04:10 PM
After discussing this in length with the Lachino on IM, I'm going to go with his assestment.

And I quote, "you blew your wad too early".

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-08-2005, 04:14 PM
You can't even quote right.

"Yeah, I think you might have shot your load on that one a little soon."

timvp
09-08-2005, 04:16 PM
Uh ... what were you guys talking about?

:vomit

kris
09-08-2005, 04:17 PM
As a fellow student, I am very saddened to hear of this death. I have yet to see her picture, so I'm not positive of whether I knew of her or not. I can only imagine the sorrow this has caused to her family and friends. I do hope they catch the person that did this. I do not think there is an "angle" to be had in learning of such a tragic event.