PDA

View Full Version : Realistic Wing (2/3) replacements in the situation

100%duncan
05-09-2015, 09:03 AM
that Manu retires, Beli signs to another team and the Spurs go hard after Aldridge. The priorities, for me and I think a lot of us share as well, this off-season should be 1. Timmy returning 2. Maxing Kiwi, Keeping Danny 3. Getting Aldridge (premise of this situation)

So as you know our wing rotation will surely take a big hit this summer, Manu will most likely retire, and Beli might go after the bigger bucks god forbid the Spurs sign him for 10 million a year and I have no trust at Kyle Anderson being productive with how fucking slow he is, so I thought it will be nice to discuss the possible and more importantly realistic wings or 2-3 combo player that we can get.

Off the discussion since they are surely gonna be kept by their respective teams at a high price and maybe max deals: Khris Middleton, Draymond Green, Wesley Matthews, Demarre Carroll, Jimmy Butler

Now on to the guys that we can get for the cheap(?) around 2-5 million maybe? Who can either or both 1.) Create his own shot/ Make up for Manu's absence, not match him but at least can run things in the bench with Bobo and Patty 2.) Solid defender that will take minutes off either Kawhi or Danny

Gerald Green: UFA
Current Salary: 3.5 million

Pros: Athletic to get improved on defense?, can create his own shot
Cons: Known ballhog

Jae Crowder: RFA
Current Salary: 915K
Pros: Decent defender (?),
Cons: Limited offensive game and upside

KJ Mcdaniels: RFA
Current Salary: 507K
Pros: Raw talent, atheltic, can be developed into a good defender
Cons: His mom is a bitch

Wayne Ellington: UFA
Current Salary: 1 million
Pros: Can shoot the 3, can create off the dribble
Cons: Not known for his defense

Now, I haven't watched them play a lot recently so your opinions or even suggestions would be very much welcomed tbh, also I might have missed some players or maybe I just don't know that they play good basketball :lol. But imho those are the most decent ones in the sg/sf free agent crop that we can realistically get. Others are old like dunleavy, RJfag or unrealistic like the ones listed above.

TheGreatYacht
05-09-2015, 09:21 AM
Stuckey, Shumpert, Henderson, Shved, Aminu (cheap PO, will probably test f/a) ... To name a few

100%duncan
05-09-2015, 09:23 AM
Stuckey, Shumpert, Henderson, Shved, Aminu (cheap PO, will probably test f/a) ... To name a few

Thanks tbh. Haven't really been following anyone outside the Spurs.

AFBlue
05-09-2015, 09:23 AM
Shved is intriguing.

100%duncan
05-09-2015, 09:25 AM
I like Aminu and MAYBE stuckey but he's way too small for his position right

TheGreatYacht
05-09-2015, 09:44 AM
I like Aminu and MAYBE stuckey but he's way too small for his position right
Aminu is probably on top of my list of cheap bench players, his potential is there, just needs a little time with Chip. He won't have Kawhi's impact on the defensive end but he's good enough so that you won't see a major drop-off when him and the bench come in. The biggest benefit for us if we signed him would be if Pop wanted to go small, he can play Diaw at the 5 and Aminu at the 4, which means no more of that ginger faggot. :tu

Small sample size but here are his stats these playoffs...
30mpg, 11.2ppg, 7.2rpg, 2.0spg, 1.6bpg
PER: 20.2
TS%: 71.1
BPM: 8.2

BadOne
05-09-2015, 10:09 AM
Cons: His mom is a bitch

:lol

Robz4000
05-09-2015, 10:31 AM
Aminu would be a solid pick up, wouldn't be upset with Crowder either. However, losing Green on top of Manu retiring would be an absolute disaster.

100%duncan
05-09-2015, 10:35 AM
Aminu would be a solid pick up, wouldn't be upset with Crowder either. However, losing Green on top of Manu retiring would be an absolute disaster.

Yes. Losing Green is totally not an option. Just no Pop. You've fucked us with Mr. 45 Million, enough, please.

Jdspur20
05-09-2015, 10:41 AM
since crowder is a RFA, I wonder what his price range would be.

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-09-2015, 10:45 AM
I'm definitely on the KJ McDaniels bandwagon. He's a great perimeter defender, likes to find chase down blocks, and uses his athleticism to cut to the basket and draw fouls, which is something the Spurs definitely need. Since he didn't get much playing time in Houston and isn't a great shooter, I don't think it'd require more than $4 million to get him.

100%duncan
05-09-2015, 10:48 AM
I'm definitely on the KJ McDaniels bandwagon. He's a great perimeter defender, likes to find chase down blocks, and uses his athleticism to cut to the basket and draw fouls, which is something the Spurs definitely need. Since he didn't get much playing time in Houston and isn't a great shooter, I don't think it'd require more than $4 million to get him.

Me too, actually. Feels like a low risk high reward type of move if we were to sign him since he'll prolly be on the cheap.

kaji157
05-09-2015, 11:10 AM
Courtney Lee anyone?

Continuing with the Trade Machine experiments.

Spurs Get: Marc Gasol, George Hill, Courtney Lee

Memphis gets: Roy Hibbert, Danny Green

Indiana Gets: Tiago Splitter, Tony Parker

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=lkenl92

kobyz
05-09-2015, 11:10 AM
Amino and crowder not in our range...

100%duncan
05-09-2015, 11:11 AM
Courtney Lee anyone?

Continuing with the Trade Machine experiments.

Spurs Get: Marc Gasol, George Hill, Courtney Lee

Memphis gets: Roy Hibbert, Danny Green

Indiana Gets: Tiago Splitter, Tony Parker

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=lkenl92

Focused on FA's. And that trade won't happen.

CGD
05-09-2015, 12:03 PM
Shved is intriguing.

Agreed. Surprised we're not talking about him more as a possible creator type off the bench for next year's bench.

CGD
05-09-2015, 12:06 PM
If Timmy stays and Tiago is traded, priority number one is getting a decent PnR defender with the MLE. I agree though that Manu's departure, and the impact to the bench, should not be down played. Maybe a small trade and/or draft are the way to go there.

cjw
05-09-2015, 12:10 PM
In the Aldridge scenario, team likely drafts a wing or has to fit that wing into the room exception or biannual exception. Guys listed above are likely priced well beyond that.

Duncan2177
05-09-2015, 12:26 PM
DeMarre Carroll?

Leetonidas
05-09-2015, 01:04 PM
DeMarre Carroll?

That dude is a perfect replacement for Green but I don't see him leaving ATL and I think he will cost more money to retain than Green because of the Hawks' success though. Definitely would love to have Carroll on the Spurs though

100%duncan
05-09-2015, 01:42 PM
Carroll is in the unrealistic list tbh. He's been their best player this playoffs

palangi
05-09-2015, 02:27 PM
If we lose all 3 that should free up a good amount of money.

use it in kris Middleton and KJ Mcdaniels.

r0drig0lac
05-09-2015, 03:06 PM
If we lose all 3 that should free up a good amount of money.

use it in kris Middleton and KJ Mcdaniels.

Kris will be in the range 13-15 million per season

heyheymymy
05-09-2015, 04:37 PM
It's slim pickins, maybe KJ McDaniels or something. Can't bring back Duncan, Max Kawhi, and get Aldridge without losing one of Green/Diaw/Mills/Splitter and I don't like that idea unless they know behind the scenes that Splitter is done or something.

Parker/Cojo?
Green/Mills/KJ?
Leonard/Anderson
Aldridge/Diaw/Bonner?
Duncan/Baynes?

^ It's too thin. I'd rather get a bench big to help Tim limit mins than lose depth to get LMA.

Parker/Mills/Cojo
Green/Belinelli (or low profile FA with some of the limited capspace?)/Combo guard draft pick in Austin D-league
Leonard/Anderson
Duncan/Diaw/Bonner
Splitter/Baynes/MLE C/PF

^ With a draft pick for a combo guard, and MLE on a C/PF to give San Antonio Splitter injury insurance and Duncan minutes relief during the regular season. Much smarter option imo. Try to use the space from Manu's retirement, Ayers and Williams leaving, and Bonner's cheap deal to fill in a SG ball handler/playmaker but FA's are not promising so who knows.

Manu's void is a bigger problem right now than the next PF after Duncan. If the Spurs can bring back everyone but Manu, Ayres, and Williams, and get a few decent pieces with some FO magic, the team would be in better shape than with LMA coming in, star power or not. Just hope Parker and Splitter recover and stay healthy, Cojo and Baynes turn the corner, Anderson can become usable, and Green and Kawhi continue to edge off any loss of steam from Duncan aging. Mills could be the Manu replacement if you think about it.

If they are healthy, then just get some filler around the guards positions, and a decent big that can fill the frontcourt gaps and the Spurs are in better condition than we thought. Health is the most important factor and we can't precisely gauge it. If the FO knows among the top brass that Splitter will never regain the previous form, they'll move him and my projections are inaccurate. It will an interesting summer to say the least.

exstatic
05-09-2015, 04:53 PM
Jamaal Franklin.

Splits
05-09-2015, 04:55 PM
Getting LMA is basically impossible: http://www.poundingtherock.com/2015/5/8/8574309/heres-how-the-spurs-can-sign-lamarcus-aldridge-while-also-bringing

wildchild
05-12-2015, 12:03 AM
Jamaal Franklin.

FkLA
05-12-2015, 12:22 AM
Corey Brewer would be badass if he opts out, although he already spurned us that one year he chose Dallas over us after he was bought out. Pierce or Afflalo for the MLE would be pretty nice too tbh.

BatManu20
05-12-2015, 01:12 AM
Still think LMA winds up in Dallas. Spurs bring back everyone for one more run imo.

cd021
05-12-2015, 04:16 AM
DeMarre Carroll?

He's probably getting $10 million per

Godbama
05-12-2015, 05:15 AM
Fuck it, let's just doubledown on Greens and create a Green Connection to fuck with the French Connection
Hell, they're even related

AFBlue
05-12-2015, 06:29 AM
Alan Anderson, Gerald Henderson, Will Barton, KJ McDaniels, Al-Farouq Aminu, Corey Brewer, DeMarre Carroll, Luigi Datome, Wayne Ellington, Rodney Stuckey, Wesley Johnson, Gary Neal, Joe Ingles, Landry Fields, Onri Casspi, Aaron Afflalo, Alonzo Gee, Wesley Matthews, Dorrell Wright, Iman Shumpert, JR Smith, Alexey Shved, Gerald Green.

100%duncan
05-12-2015, 08:24 AM
Corey Brewer would be badass if he opts out, although he already spurned us that one year he chose Dallas over us after he was bought out. Pierce or Afflalo for the MLE would be pretty nice too tbh.
Pierce would be nice but i doubt he leaves was to take the mle and a bench role tbh

benfti
05-12-2015, 09:43 AM
Ingles, fits perfectly

r0drig0lac
05-12-2015, 03:47 PM
Aminu, KJ and Green

FkLA
05-12-2015, 03:53 PM
Pierce would be nice but i doubt he leaves was to take the mle and a bench role tbh

Isn't the MLE $5-6 mill? It said he's only making $5 mill this year when I checked yesterday IIRC.

cjw
05-12-2015, 04:11 PM
MLE and big name free agent are almost certainly mutually exclusive, unless the big name FA comes by way of a sign and trade.

Ellington (Green's UNC teammate) is undersized to man the three, but I guess you could play Green there to spell Kawhi's minutes. 37% 3pt shooter on a team that was allergic to developing good looks and 42% the previous two years. Plays decent defense. He'd be an okay addition if willing to continue playing at the minimum.

Nathan89
05-12-2015, 06:12 PM
Make a trade for Evan Turner.

Chinook
05-12-2015, 06:22 PM
Getting LMA is basically impossible: http://www.poundingtherock.com/2015/5/8/8574309/heres-how-the-spurs-can-sign-lamarcus-aldridge-while-also-bringing

Never put it past PtR to have a stupid article. Getting all those guys back would actually be relatively easy.

Dverde
05-12-2015, 07:03 PM
Spurs passed on McDaniels in the draft for KA. Spurs didn't pursue Amino last offseason. I doubt the Spurs would try to sign either now. I would imagine they would go after Gary Neal..."he knows the system".

Dverde
05-12-2015, 07:06 PM
Maybe kick the tires on a Kevin Martin trade? At least he can hit free throws.

100%duncan
05-12-2015, 08:28 PM
Isn't the MLE $5-6 mill? It said he's only making $5 mill this year when I checked yesterday IIRC.

Yah but he has the starting sf position locked up andnis sitting pretty on DC

tholdren
05-12-2015, 08:33 PM
fuk no... martin is really, really shitty

cd021
05-12-2015, 09:54 PM
Never put it past PtR to have a stupid article. Getting all those guys back would actually be relatively easy.

I actually laughed when they said we would have to give up our 26th pick to "unload" Splitter. Elite big man with an above average offense game making less than $9 million and we have to pay another team to take him on. The Pelicans got Asik and actually gave up 18th pick.

Several teams could use Splitter, like the Bucks, Raptors and Hawks [as a 3rd big].

gambit1990
05-12-2015, 09:55 PM
i want shved. been intrigued by aminu for the past couple years too.

cd021
05-12-2015, 10:04 PM

Said that last season. He is still a good player and that deal is very good. Mills would probably the one that would have to be traded. They need a backup PG.

100%duncan
05-12-2015, 10:06 PM
Stay away from.Martin. another big name that is a chucker and a liability on defenae

cd021
05-12-2015, 10:07 PM
Suggested Aminu last season. Makes plenty of since as combo 4 in our system (probably a 4 because of his shooting issues ).

cd021
05-12-2015, 10:21 PM
Stay away from.Martin. another big name that is a chucker and a liability on defenae

Wouldn't call him a chucker. 18 ppg on 12.7 FGA for his career (1.41 PPS) for reference that would rank 6th in the NBA this season. Everyone isn't going to be a two way player. Beli wasn't and his Net Rtg was a shows he was a big positive for us (+5 in the RS & +10 in the PS over two seasons)

100%duncan
05-12-2015, 10:43 PM
Wouldn't call him a chucker. 18 ppg on 12.7 FGA for his career (1.1 PPS) for reference that would rank 6th in the NBA this season. Everyone isn't going to be a two way player. Beli wasn't and his Net Rtg was a shows he was a big positive for us (+5 in the RS & +10 in the PS over two seasons)

He hasnt done amything positive on contenders. We should be wary of these kinds of players putting up number in bad teams i.e. smith, dick jeff, love

TheGoldStandard
05-12-2015, 10:44 PM
Wouldn't call him a chucker. 18 ppg on 12.7 FGA for his career (1.41 PPS) for reference that would rank 6th in the NBA this season. Everyone isn't going to be a two way player. Beli wasn't and his Net Rtg was a shows he was a big positive for us (+5 in the RS & +10 in the PS over two seasons)

Would be an ideal player off the bench to boost offensive output. There are lull's in Spurs games where they can't buy a bucket and his efficiency is pretty high plus he can hit FTs and handle the rock

Ditty
05-12-2015, 11:04 PM
Kevin Martin is horrible :lol

Best option is keeping Danny Green on a three year contract.

Would like Aminu, but Dallas or some other team is probably going to give him a MLE type contract and Carroll would be nice but I can see ATL giving him a nice contract.

palangi
05-12-2015, 11:28 PM
Alexy Shved and KJ Mcdaniels at SG

Dorrell Wright at SF.

Ditty
05-13-2015, 12:03 AM
I really wanted the Spurs to draft KJ McDaniels in the first round last year.

Very concerning though that one of the worst teams in the league traded away a low risk, high reward kid that was only playing on an one year deal.

Spurs shooting guards need to be able to either shoot, or put the ball on the floor and he seems not be able to do either.

Could possibly improve in those categories in a season or two, but probably couldn't help us right away in the post season unless we need a defensive stop, or Tony, Kawhi or Duncan are just tearing things up on offense and we need defense.

Reminds me a lot of a younger more athletic Tony Allen but with less attitude, and it would be nice to get high energy 2/3 that can do the dirty work at time.

If we can get him for $2-no more than $4 million I say take the risk as a project player, but he will be restricted and Houston seems like they want to keep him so any low offer Houston will probably match so maybe it will be best for him to take the qualified offer and become an unrestricted free agent next summer.

As for Shved, never been a fan of his, but a lot of y'all seem to fall in love with guys who have career games against us :lol. If we can get him for cheap, and Belinelli takes off then maybe it won't be much of a risk.

Sean Cagney
05-13-2015, 02:26 AM
Aminu is probably on top of my list of cheap bench players, his potential is there, just needs a little time with Chip. He won't have Kawhi's impact on the defensive end but he's good enough so that you won't see a major drop-off when him and the bench come in. The biggest benefit for us if we signed him would be if Pop wanted to go small, he can play Diaw at the 5 and Aminu at the 4, which means no more of that ginger faggot. :tu

Small sample size but here are his stats these playoffs...
30mpg, 11.2ppg, 7.2rpg, 2.0spg, 1.6bpg
PER: 20.2
TS%: 71.1
BPM: 8.2Sold just based off the fact you said no more Ginger.....

Sean Cagney
05-13-2015, 02:31 AM

I agree and OKC found that out really fast.

TheGreatYacht
05-13-2015, 02:47 AM
Sold just based off the fact you said no more Ginger.....
:lol

100%duncan
05-13-2015, 07:15 AM

Very concerning though that one of the worst teams in the league traded away a low risk, high reward kid that was only playing on an one year deal.

Spurs shooting guards need to be able to either shoot, or put the ball on the floor and he seems not be able to do either.

Could possibly improve in those categories in a season or two, but probably couldn't help us right away in the post season unless we need a defensive stop, or Tony, Kawhi or Duncan are just tearing things up on offense and we need defense.

Reminds me a lot of a younger more athletic Tony Allen but with less attitude, and it would be nice to get high energy 2/3 that can do the dirty work at time.

If we can get him for $2-no more than $4 million I say take the risk as a project player, but he will be restricted and Houston seems like they want to keep him so any low offer Houston will probably match so maybe it will be best for him to take the qualified offer and become an unrestricted free agent next summer.

As for Shved, never been a fan of his, but a lot of y'all seem to fall in love with guys who have career games against us :lol. If we can get him for cheap, and Belinelli takes off then maybe it won't be much of a risk.

Nigga is taking the vet min imho. Houston looks like they have no interest in him.

100%duncan
05-13-2015, 07:15 AM
double post

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-13-2015, 10:19 AM

The Sixers literally dumped him cause he was good. They wanted to keep tanking and thought he may ruin that. Also, his defense and athleticism alone is worthy of a contract. He can work with the team on his shot and learn how to use his athleticism to slash, and he'll be a major steal.

Chinook
05-13-2015, 10:27 AM
Philly traded him because they didn't want to pay him the MLE next season. Dude's no that great, but he has the "potential" to be really good. The Sixers pretty much punted him contract to a team that didn't care if it wasted a high second. I think there's a decent chance KJ is on a different team next year (since the Rocket would need to use their own MLE to match). Maybe the Spurs, though I doubt it. But he wasn't going to be in Philly, and they knew it.

100%duncan
05-13-2015, 10:50 AM
Philly traded him because they didn't want to pay him the MLE next season. Dude's no that great, but he has the "potential" to be really good. The Sixers pretty much punted him contract to a team that didn't care if it wasted a high second. I think there's a decent chance KJ is on a different team next year (since the Rocket would need to use their own MLE to match). Maybe the Spurs, though I doubt it. But he wasn't going to be in Philly, and they knew it.

MLE for a 2nd year unproven raw talent?

elemento
05-13-2015, 10:53 AM
Yeah, SA would never give the full MLE to an unproven kid with a moronic Mom.

Chinook
05-13-2015, 11:25 AM
MLE for a 2nd year unproven raw talent?

Yeah. That's where it was going for him. If anyone offers more than the LLE (or longer than two years), then Houston has to use the MLE to match. I doubt they want to do that.

In theory, a $6M/3 with the third year being a team option would be enough to get Houston to not match.

testies
05-13-2015, 11:34 AM
can we get this kid?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHmZeU2zyc0

look_at_g_shred
05-13-2015, 11:44 AM
Looks good ^^^^^ but he also looks like he's playing against a bunch of kids (I know he's a kid himself)

testies
05-13-2015, 03:00 PM
Looks good ^^^^^ but he also looks like he's playing against a bunch of kids (I know he's a kid himself)

he's 16 and already has played some minutes in madrid's first team

AFBlue
05-13-2015, 03:18 PM
he's 16 and already has played some minutes in madrid's first team

If he's 16 then the answer is no, no we cannot get him.

pad300
05-13-2015, 06:16 PM
Nick Calathes: RFA
Current Salary: $816,482 Qualifying Offer: $1,147,276
Pros: Decent defender (ESPN DRPM 3.88 2nd best among SG's), Good passer (8.4 Asst/48, 3.5 TO/48), Decent Size 6'6"
Cons: Shooting is poor, but there is hope. He shot 39% from 3 on 5.2 Fga/G in college.

FkLA
05-13-2015, 06:31 PM
Pros: Decent defender (ESPN DRPM 3.88 2nd best among SG's), Good passer (8.4 Asst/48, 3.5 TO/48), Decent Size 6'6"
Cons: Shooting is poor, but there is hope. He shot 39% from 3 on 5.2 Fga/G in college.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBYB8aFHADU

Damn brah you may have just found our Manu replacement. Tall enough to defend 2s when he's running with the bench unit and Patty, but can run the point on the other side. He's a Euro too so Pop will love that. I didn't know he was such a good passer...can you imagine Enrique trying to pull off some of those? :lol

pad300
05-13-2015, 06:38 PM
Damn brah you may have just found our Manu replacement. Tall enough to defend 2s when he's running with the bench unit and Patty, but can run the point on the other side. He's a Euro too so Pop will love that. I didn't know he was such a good passer...can you imagine Enrique trying to pull off some of those? :lol

Calathes is not a Manu replacement unless someone fixes his shot big time... He could still be pretty f'ing useful, mind. I really like 2 guards who can pass in our system. Another possibility to trade for would be Evan Turner (Boston, ~3.5 million expiring contract).

monkeypunk
05-13-2015, 06:38 PM

Can't see Memphis letting him go, tbh. They need creators...

ace3g
05-13-2015, 06:51 PM
Joe Ingles

FkLA
05-13-2015, 06:54 PM
Calathes is not a Manu replacement unless someone fixes his shot big time... He could still be pretty f'ing useful, mind. I really like 2 guards who can pass in our system. Another possibility to trade for would be Evan Turner (Boston, ~3.5 million expiring contract).

Well tbf Manu can't really shoot much nowadays either, his passing is what still make him a useful player.

pad300
05-13-2015, 06:54 PM
Can't see Memphis letting him go, tbh. They need creators...

He's their 5th guard - behind Conley, Udrih, Lee and Allen. Are they willing to pay their 5th guard more than the vet min?

pad300
05-13-2015, 06:57 PM
Well tbf Manu can't really shoot much nowadays either, his passing is what still make him a useful player.

Manu makes more than 25% from 3... Compare the shot charts at

www.austinclemens.com/shotcharts

You'll see.

AFBlue
05-13-2015, 07:25 PM
I don't think the need will be as much around the Manu role because I expect Boris to pick up the second unit facilitation duties. IMO, they should prioritize shooting and defense as they're likely to lose Beli and/or Green. Shumpert and Shved are both intriguing, but both are restricted. Dorrell Wright is a sleeper pick for me.

100%duncan
05-13-2015, 08:57 PM
I dont like what I see from calathes in memphis imho

Ditty
05-13-2015, 09:45 PM
I dont like what I see from calathes in memphis imho

The board has always had a fascination for un athletic white guys who don't have much upside :lol

100%duncan
05-13-2015, 09:46 PM
The board has always had a fascination for un athletic white guys who don't have much upside :lol
Tbh :lol

ceperez
05-14-2015, 03:25 PM
Me too, actually. Feels like a low risk high reward type of move if we were to sign him since he'll prolly be on the cheap.

The guy has potential, probably 2.5m a year would make him sign.

100%duncan
05-14-2015, 08:40 PM
The guy has potential, probably 2.5m a year would make him sign.

Problem is he is rfa so we cant control what he gets

wildbill2u
05-15-2015, 11:31 AM
I'm trying to get my mind around the idea of SG who's shooting is poor. Has to be better options for our 3rd SG. Don't like.

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-15-2015, 12:39 PM
I'm trying to get my mind around the idea of SG who's shooting is poor. Has to be better options for our 3rd SG. Don't like.

McDaniels' shooting isn't the greatest, but it's not like he's destined to be the next Tony Allen. He's shown that he's committed to improving his game and I'm sure he can become better rather quickly with Chip. I just keep thinking that having an athletic wing defender in the second unit would be really beneficial to the team. He'd be grouped with Manu, Patty, and Boris (maybe Kyle? Bonner?) anyway. That's solid spacing as it is.

100%duncan
05-15-2015, 10:24 PM
McDaniels' shooting isn't the greatest, but it's not like he's destined to be the next Tony Allen. He's shown that he's committed to improving his game and I'm sure he can become better rather quickly with Chip. I just keep thinking that having an athletic wing defender in the second unit would be really beneficial to the team. He'd be grouped with Manu, Patty, and Boris (maybe Kyle? Bonner?) anyway. That's solid spacing as it is.

Yep. I'd rather have a defense FIRST known guy or atleast athletic enough to do damage against the 6th man of the other team and then teach him how to shoot effectively than a guy who is a shooter but is just unteachable on defense (belinelli)

exstatic
05-15-2015, 10:59 PM
Cross McDaniels off your list. The Spurs will never sign a middling prospect who's psycho mom attacks his team via twitter.

ace3g
05-16-2015, 11:18 AM
Omri Casspi (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/3554/omri-casspi)

AFBlue
05-16-2015, 11:25 AM
Omri Casspi (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/3554/omri-casspi)

If Belinelli leaves and/or Manu retires, I think it's highly likely the Spurs will bring in another international player. They have a rep to protect after all. Shved, Ingles, Datome, Casspi...all legit options as wing role players..

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-16-2015, 11:32 AM
Austin Rivers

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-16-2015, 11:42 AM
What's the general opinion on Will Barton? He played well against the Spurs in last year's series.

maverick1948
05-16-2015, 09:56 PM
What's the general opinion on Will Barton? He played well against the Spurs in last year's series.

Will Barton would be a good and very cheap player. 3 yrs 4 million with a team option for the 3rd yr. He is on the verge of breaking out in Denver on his offense and with a team that plays defense he would be good. He got good playing time in a fast pace offense at Denver and scored. Of course, no Enver has no D in it.

gambit1990
05-17-2015, 02:50 PM
what's up with bertans?

AFBlue
05-17-2015, 03:40 PM
what's up with bertans?

Tore his ACL a couple months back. Now he's rehabbing in SA. There's a thread dedicated to him in the Think Tank for regular updates.

Nathan89
06-09-2015, 06:42 PM
Was looking through the free agent list and M. Dunleavy and G. Henderson are my favorite reasonable targets.