PDA

View Full Version : what if basically the same team came back next yr??

davi78239
05-09-2015, 09:43 AM
Would that piss you off. Say we strike out on some of the top names and we're forced to bring back most of the team.

itzsoweezee
05-09-2015, 02:59 PM
I think this is going to happen. I'd be ecstatic if it does. Hopefully the front office doesn't try to stiff Danny and Aldridge signs a one year deal with Portland

Russ
05-09-2015, 04:16 PM
The Spurs were the best team in the league this year (when healthy).

I wouldn't be disappointed to see them back as is next year.

Splits
05-09-2015, 05:05 PM
Yeah, let's re-sign Jeff Errors.

TheGoldStandard
05-09-2015, 05:14 PM
Setting yourself up for failure.

Robz4000
05-09-2015, 05:18 PM
They need a slashing PG off the bench/in the starting unit when Enrique shits the bed. Unless Pop feels comfortable with CoJo in that role they need some changes.

sananspursfan21
05-09-2015, 05:19 PM
Need to add someone. But otherwise I really wouldn't mind. Our oust had nothing to do with talent or lack thereof. Even the Parker haters would admit that if he were 100%, ballhog and all, we would see a repeat

SASdynasty!
05-09-2015, 05:40 PM
Need to add someone. But otherwise I really wouldn't mind. Our oust had nothing to do with talent or lack thereof. Even the Parker haters would admit that if he were 100%, ballhog and all, we would see a repeat
And by ballhog of course you mean that he didn't take the most shots per game, but did have the most assists per game on the team this season.

sananspursfan21
05-09-2015, 05:51 PM
And by ballhog of course you mean that he didn't take the most shots per game, but did have the most assists per game on the team this season.

You read it correctly

TheGoldStandard
05-09-2015, 06:04 PM
Expecting Duncan to have another great season is just greedy, eventually there will be a decline can't wait for to actually happen to improve the roster when there are FA that are available to help

Malik Hairston
05-09-2015, 06:06 PM
Virtually impossible to field a contender when a high-usage player in your starting lineup is a bottom 5 starter in the league, tbh.. maybe the Lakers in 2010 with Fisher were an exception IIRC..

TheGoldStandard
05-09-2015, 06:13 PM
Virtually impossible to field a contender when a high-usage player in your starting lineup is a bottom 5 starter in the league, tbh.. maybe the Lakers in 2010 with Fisher were an exception IIRC..

That front court was crazy good though, MVPau was a monster

mike20spurs
05-10-2015, 09:18 PM
This is probably the worst case scenario. In my opinion, bringing back the same team puts us in contention to possibly win a championship next year. Not sure what the odds of winning will be if healthy but having a rested championship proven team can't hurt.

However, bringing back the same team hurts us tremendously long term. Kawhi and the Spurs would be a lottery team within five years. A lot of you may say, who cares, let's win now. That was probably the plan a few years ago but getting lucky and trading for Kawhi was a massive step torwards just retooling instead of blowing up the team. Bringing back the whole team means we're focusing on the now instead of the future. If we can get a solid free agent, not necessarily LA but maybe Hassan Whiteside, I think we'd be in a great spot for the next few years while being able to stay in contention with Timmy.

I do think getting rid of Danny Green is a huge mistake. I'm not a TP hater but I'd rather trade him for a draft pick or two and resign Green and CoJo. Just makes more sense. But Spurs front office is usually loyal to a fault with some of these guys so that's not likely.

therealtruth
05-11-2015, 03:17 AM
If we bring back the same team we got to get some more internal improvement and better spacing. All our bigs should be able to hit that midrange jumper when necessary. Kawhi and DG need to do more playmaking on offense.

venitian navigator
05-11-2015, 11:12 AM
The idea could be bringing back the same team...minus some end of the bench players.
I mean, Williams, Ayres or Baynes, Bonner, probably Joseph or Belinelli.
The means we have to upgrade are the exceptions and the draft.
I frankly think that next year should be the one of the Kyle Anderson experiment.
If he's gonna play, he's probably gonna command a lot of minutes.
As for the draft we have our first round choice plus, of our europeans, Dangubic and Bertans, that, for differnt reasons, could be both signed...the first filling the Williams place, the second filling the Bonner's one.
The big deal is about our new fourth/fifth big...that's a place where maybe there could be some MLE bargain option (Chandler?) or in any case some interesting options (Bargnani, Davis)...or some draft option (Upshaw, Jhonson).
In any case we need someone that can give Tim resting minutes.
The good about this is having a well experiences group that can work for a good amount of wins in regulars season, giving the young guns time to, learn the system and develop.

DPG21920
05-11-2015, 11:28 AM
I know Bertans is rehabbing in SA, but overcoming 2 knee surgeries? That seems like a long shot for an unkown in the NBA.

SpurPadre
05-11-2015, 11:29 AM
There is no fountain of youth so no, we can't field exactly the the same team and hope to win another Championship. Other teams get better in the offseason too and you know LeBron will try to buy even more players so other teams have to follow suit. We need to make at least a few upgrades.

ElNono
05-11-2015, 11:50 AM
Would love the same crew for one more run...

Horse
05-11-2015, 12:48 PM
After watching the playoffs wouldn't bother me at all. A real shame pop shit the bed cause this should have been an easy repeat.

TheGreatYacht
05-11-2015, 01:13 PM
Keep the same team and trade Kawhi for Butler

hater
05-13-2015, 12:26 PM
We don't make the playoffs. Which would be good cause even with a slight improvement this team is 1st round foddder

MI21
05-13-2015, 12:32 PM
I would be fine with the majority of the team returning, key pieces like Kawhi, LDN etc..

I don't think the team can win with no changes though. They can still be extremely competitive though.

cd98
05-13-2015, 01:04 PM
It's going to hard to convince the top free agents to take less money to sign outright with the Spurs. At best, we do a sign and trade, but I believe Gasol, Love, and LMA all resign with their teams, which can give them the most money. I see is resigning everyone on the team that will agree to reasonable money. I do think we'll need to bolster our bigs and get another multi position player, but I don't know who that is. I would like to see if SA swings any trades with their draft pick and a combo of Spur players.

Seventyniner
05-13-2015, 01:16 PM
If Tim and Manu both want to come back and the Spurs don't have enough cap room to land any significant FA, sure. Roll that cap space to 2016 when there will be much more room to work with.

LongtimeSpursFan
05-13-2015, 01:29 PM
Same team but with a healthy Splitter, Parker and more doses of Kawhi Leonard and Kyle Anderson would make next years team better than this years.

AFBlue
05-13-2015, 01:30 PM
Would be fine with it. I really liked the team over the last two years. If they manage to stay healthy, they would be an automatic playoff team and potential contender.

That said, the Spurs would put themselves in a tough position in 2016 to win free agents against every other team in the league to stay relevant. That's why I think the focus is on retooling this year...bridging the gap between an old core and a new one.

AFBlue
05-13-2015, 01:31 PM
If Tim and Manu both want to come back and the Spurs don't have enough cap room to land any significant FA, sure. Roll that cap space to 2016 when there will be much more room to work with.

More room, but much more competition.

Seventyniner
05-13-2015, 01:41 PM
More room, but much more competition.

True. Though if the Spurs can't carve out much cap room, they won't really have a choice.

FkLA
05-13-2015, 01:48 PM
We'd have to pray for an Enrique injury/quit or else we'd be doomed again tbh.

Sean Cagney
05-13-2015, 01:50 PM
We don't make the playoffs. Which would be good cause even with a slight improvement this team is 1st round foddder

If they are healthy they make the playoffs man, disagree there.

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-13-2015, 03:06 PM
My thought is that some of the supporting cast will change, and I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see Manu call it quits. I think the rest of the core will be back...Tim, Tony, KL, Diaw, Mills and I believe Green will be resigned. Ayres, Bonner, CoJo, Baynes could be gone. I think Pop will work hard to potentially trade Tiago this off season. His injury is probably what I'd point to the most for the Spurs post season demise. Pop acknowledged that fact somewhat cryptically in an interview as well. I think if they could move him in a big for big move they probably would.

Spur|n|Austin
05-13-2015, 03:19 PM
Considering they took what looks to be the best playoff team to a buzzer shot in Game 7, it wouldn't be bad at all.

Dex
05-13-2015, 03:31 PM
Considering they took what looks to be the best playoff team to a buzzer shot in Game 7, it wouldn't be bad at all.

Seriously. How quickly people forget that one year ago, this very same team was rolling like a freight train through the playoffs and to an eventual championship.

One injury-riddled season and hard-fought series later (against a VERY talented team), and everyone is back to throwing dirt on their graves and looking forward to rebuilding again.

It's almost as if the games are played for a reason.

Spur|n|Austin
05-13-2015, 05:37 PM
Seriously. How quickly people forget that one year ago, this very same team was rolling like a freight train through the playoffs and to an eventual championship.

One injury-riddled season and hard-fought series later (against a VERY talented team), and everyone is back to throwing dirt on their graves and looking forward to rebuilding again.

It's almost as if the games are played for a reason.

Get out of here with your logic!

05-13-2015, 05:42 PM
A farewell tour of Duncan and Ginobili wouldn't be so bad. The FA crop don't look good at all this year and I would rather the Spurs wait than make another Jefferson/Parker mistake.

FkLA
05-13-2015, 05:44 PM
I think Pop will work hard to potentially trade Tiago this off season.His injury is probably what I'd point to the most for the Spurs post season demise.

http://s5.postimg.org/siu3vsb6f/2015_PGs_playoffs2.png

Silver&Black
05-13-2015, 05:50 PM
Insanity - Doing the same thing yet expecting different results