PDA

View Full Version : High winter energy

Old School Chic
09-08-2005, 11:01 AM
Make sure you buy a lot of covers this winter...

WASHINGTON, Sept 8 - The U.S. economy will face a tough winter due to high energy prices caused partly by a disruption in oil and natural gas supplies from Hurricane Katrina, U.S. Energy Secretary Sam Bodman warned Thursday.

"There is no doubt that this is going to be a very tough winter season for the American economy (and) for American homeowners," Bodman said in an interview on the Fox news channel.

The Energy Information Administration said on Wednesday Americans who warm their homes with natural gas could see their fuel costs jump by as much as 71 percent this winter in some parts of the country.

Residential heating bills for heating oil will increase by 31 percent, and electricity users will see their costs rise by 17 percent, the Energy Department's analytical arm said in its latest monthly energy forecast.

batman2883
09-08-2005, 11:07 AM
Fuck that im glad i have central heating

Duff McCartney
09-08-2005, 12:31 PM
Well I have no problem with it...when the heater isn't on, I sleep with the window open and the fan at full blast.

SWC Bonfire
09-08-2005, 12:44 PM
The Energy Information Administration said on Wednesday Americans who warm their homes with natural gas could see their fuel costs jump by as much as 71 percent this winter in some parts of the country.

Residential heating bills for heating oil will increase by 31 percent, and electricity users will see their costs rise by 17 percent, the Energy Department's analytical arm said in its latest monthly energy forecast.

Those numbers don't really make any sense. :wtf

Heating oil is basically No. 1 Diesel fuel from what I understand, and that has gone up way over 31%. So I guess they are saying that somehow the heat generated from heating oil will somehow defy the laws of thermodynamics and transfer more heat from the same amount of fuel this year. Perhaps this number is based on weather forcasts?

Same thing for the natural gas vs. electricity. I know back east that there are a lot more coal-fired generators, but I would think a vast majority of the natural gas in this country goes to making electricity.

SWC Bonfire
09-08-2005, 12:45 PM
Note to self: install a wood-burning fireplace insert.

Vashner
09-08-2005, 01:56 PM
I like it cold.. this heat sucks..

SpursWoman
09-08-2005, 02:09 PM
Note to self: install a wood-burning fireplace insert.

..... I have a really nice stand-alone fireplace I'm looking to get rid of. I think it's gas, though, or both....I'm not exactly sure. :oops

I'm glad they ripped out the gas furnace in my house, then. :fro