PDA

View Full Version : Pounding the Rock; "Manu is too weird to replace."

BillMc
05-10-2015, 04:26 AM
http://www.poundingtherock.com/2015/5/9/8571603/manu-ginobili-is-too-weird-to-be-replaced

Good points about our bench and how Manu's absence really would hurt Mills.

Mills only makes sense next to a playmaking wing and those are hard to find. Lance Stephenson (http://www.sbnation.com/nba/players/112009/lance-stephenson) was that player in Indiana but he's crashed and burned in Charlotte. The only other non-star who comes close to being a primary creator as a wing is Evan Turner (http://www.sbnation.com/nba/players/111979/evan-turner), but his shooting is significantly worse that Manu's. To fill the need of a primary bench creator, the Spurs would probably have to look for traditional point guards.
So the Spurs would need to trade Mills.

-21-
05-10-2015, 08:06 AM
The bench isn't the only one that might need a replacement playmaker if Tony keeps declining at this rate tbh.

PingPong
05-10-2015, 10:32 AM
So who's the playmaking wing in the Australian NT?

Johnny RIngo
05-10-2015, 11:39 AM
The bench isn't the only one that might need a replacement playmaker if Tony keeps declining at this rate tbh.

Tony's a system point guard - he's easily replaceable. The issue with the fat fuck is his terrible contract. Otherwise, Spurs could just sign any available point and he'll do the job much better than that French cancer.

Manu, on the other hand, is one of the most impactful players in NBA history. Spurs will never find someone that can replicate what he does.

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-10-2015, 12:07 PM
It's true that Manu can't be replaced, but hopefully Kyle can step in as the bench's playmaker. These are the kind of duties he was brought in to fulfill, no?

TD 21
05-10-2015, 06:36 PM
Obviously, they can't replace him, but just in terms of finding a big guard/wing to essentially play PG on offense, I presume it's because of the PG label, but I'll ask anyway: Why has Joseph been ruled out?

Ellis, Harris, Bradley, Dragic and Bledsoe, are all similar in size to Joseph and all either have or continue to defend SG's; some in starting roles.

Being undersized at any position is never ideal, but I don't see them letting Joseph go simply on the count of that. Pop loves him and with how banged up and ineffective Parker is at this point, they need three rotation caliber PG's. If Joseph goes, it'll be as a cost cutting move to sign Aldridge or because someone (Cavs and Raptors were rumored interested) makes him a significant offer.

tholdren
05-10-2015, 07:01 PM
So the Spurs would need to trade Mills for a shooter.....

Terrible take. Patty led the spurs in EFG and TS I believe. Additionally, I know he had the highest ORTG.

Mugen
05-10-2015, 07:14 PM
There is really zero reason for CoJo not to be the "Manu replacement" if he retires for several reasons:

a) he knows the offense
b) as effective as old Manu in getting into the paint
c) decent playmaking
d) good enough to guard opposing bench 2s
e) good shooter, about as good as old Manu in shooting the 3
f) cheap contract

Obviously, he's nowhere near the playmaker Manu is but there isn't anybody out there that is. He can't guard 3s like Manu could but that won't be an issue if Danny/Kawhi are brought back....

You could play Patty/Cojo together off the bench plus you get the added bonus of PG depth when Porky takes his annual 3 week siesta during the season...

Mugen
05-10-2015, 07:15 PM
Plus, Cojo was great last season when the ball was in his hands and Porky and Manu weren't on the floor with him. He won't have that issue if Gino retires......

tholdren
05-10-2015, 07:22 PM
I dont understand why he didnt get more playing time this year. I cannot stand the blind loylaty shit.

ElNono
05-10-2015, 07:28 PM
I think Cojo would be ok for the regular season, but he would be burned badly in the playoffs. His defense is overrated, tbh, and he's small. He's a good one on one defender, but average at best team defender, and I noticed he has trouble fighting through screens.

I can see him having all sorts of problems guarding guys like Jamal Crawford, or even Reddick...

On offense, he's a really good penetrator and finisher. He's not a drive and kick guy, generally speaking, which I think this team needs the most right now, especially with Porker declining.

All that said, the Spurs could just take their time with him and if he doesn't quite fit the bill, look for an upgrade mid-season, tbh...

ElNono
05-10-2015, 07:29 PM
It's true that Manu can't be replaced, but hopefully Kyle can step in as the bench's playmaker. These are the kind of duties he was brought in to fulfill, no?

Some people here think he's a playmaker, but I haven't really seen the Spurs play him like that. Frankly, he hasn't played much at all, so it's hard to tell what the expectations are with him.

I have him pegged as the backup SF behind Kawhi. But, we'll see.

benfti
05-10-2015, 08:09 PM
So who's the playmaking wing in the Australian NT?

This, and its exactly why I think that the idea that Patty has to play with a passing wing is horse shit. The answer to your question though is Joe Ingles. But Manu Ginobili Joe Ingles aint.

People forget Patty Mills was the highest scorer at the last Olympics, all Olympic team. With no noted passing player on the Boomers roster, the closed he had then was Joe and a Collage Junior Matthew Dellavedova.

Patty can create his own shot. You just need to run plays that allow him to do it. I think Pop is smart enough to know that.

itsamanuthree
05-10-2015, 09:25 PM
I say if Manu stays Pop should play him along with Patty in the first unit and move Porky to the bench and let him do his hero balling there with Green's help in defense and whatever.

kaji157
05-10-2015, 11:35 PM
Gravis Vasquez is the one id go for

Nathan89
05-10-2015, 11:40 PM
Cojo isn't good enough. If the bench has him as the center piece we are fucked.

apalisoc_9
05-10-2015, 11:41 PM
Joseph's shot has improved big time tbh.

His real problem is not taking them..

apalisoc_9
05-10-2015, 11:43 PM
Vazquez is singed till next year. They'd have to trade someone to get Vazquez.

spurraider21
05-11-2015, 12:27 AM
I will put my posting privilege on stake. If kawhi doesn't put up at least 38 fanduel points, I will never post in spurstalk again..

Malik Hairston
05-11-2015, 02:41 AM
Joseph is better than Vazquez, and I say that as a skeptic of Cojo..as somebody that lives in Toronto and went to a lot of Raptors games this year, Vazquez fucking sucks:lol..