PDA

View Full Version : NBA: So much overcoaching this post-season IMO.

apalisoc_9
05-11-2015, 12:56 AM
Sad that the three main culprits are also the top 3 coaches in the league...

Poop, bud, Kerr have all made terrible decisions when they could have made the obvious call...

It's like Pete Carroll going away from an obvious play with three downs left.

Sad..

spurraider21
05-11-2015, 01:06 AM
I will put my posting privilege on stake. If kawhi doesn't put up at least 38 fanduel points, I will never post in spurstalk again..

DMC
05-11-2015, 08:34 AM

Poop, bud, Kerr have all made terrible decisions when they could have made the obvious call...

Sad..
Bud and Kerr aren't in the top coaches discussion yet. They haven't been doing it long enough to be there. If they are because of their RS record, then Avery Johnson was a top coach. Sorry, you don't go from top coach to unemployed in 1 or 2 years. You're either a top coach or you aren't.

That would be Pop, RC, Thibs and maybe... Doc.. maybe. The jury is out on the others for a few years. Two years ago everyone talked about Spo like he was up there. Where did that go?

Clipper Nation
05-11-2015, 08:39 AM
At least Pop, Bud and Kerr are actually trying to coach. Meanwhile, McFail gave up five minutes into the game and started hacking, because he had no adjustments ready at all :lol

Also, Philo is a faggot.

Killakobe81
05-11-2015, 08:42 AM
That's what happens when you hand the keys to your benz to a drunk uncle ...

100%duncan
05-11-2015, 09:07 AM
All coaches have been horrible

Thread
05-11-2015, 09:11 AM
(bud) wore himself out running back & forth to his Internet reading his press clippings. He was deep into believing them devoutly when Pierce showed up Crippin' & Bloodin' all over his fuckin' ass.

DMC
05-11-2015, 09:14 AM
At least Pop, Bud and Kerr are actually trying to coach. Meanwhile, McFail gave up five minutes into the game and started hacking, because he had no adjustments ready at all :lol

Also, Philo is a faggot.

I think there's a concerted effort by franchises to get certain rules established or changed. They have to make it painful to make that happen. That's so they can have a big man game again instead of this Eurotrash 3pt shootout that's going on now. You cannot have a big man game if your big man gets abused at the FT line.

Why else would so many coaches suddenly be employing that strategy when it obviously doesn't work? When has it led to a win? If anything, it's cost teams games, because it stops the game both ways and coaches typically do it when the other team has momentum. Pop is smarter though, he did it when his team had momentum. That's called being a visionary.

Thread
05-11-2015, 09:14 AM
All coaches have been horrible

(Pop) couldn't resist being Pop at the end there with the seeding. Centralized Media begged that bastard to win it, but, no, the stubborn thing couldn't stop himself. Could not do it. Had to show everybody.

Then got deep into the hack.

Comes home at 3-2 and can't find his ass with both hands.

LMFAO!!!

100%duncan
05-11-2015, 09:17 AM
(Pop) couldn't resist being Pop at the end there with the seeding. Centralized Media begged that bastard to win it, but, no, the stubborn thing couldn't stop himself. Could not do it. Had to show everybody.

LMFAO!!!

Agreed. Poops was a disgrace.

DMC
05-11-2015, 09:18 AM

LMFAO!!!
You've no room. I recall someone here being 3-1 and a short time later talking about golf.

Thread
05-11-2015, 09:24 AM
You've no room. I recall someone here being 3-1 and a short time later talking about golf.

& you've even less room. You had the fuckin' thing in the case, your gift card from some knockoff Chinese NBA importer at the ready in front of your CPU when they flashed the shit on the television.

No, motherfucker, no. You did not get that first 5th. Took you the next June to get it.

And then:::

3-2

DMC
05-11-2015, 09:28 AM
& you've even less room. You had the fuckin' thing in the case, your gift card from some knockoff Chinese NBA importer at the ready in front of your CPU when they flashed the shit on the television.

No, motherfucker, no. You did not get that first 5th. Took you the next June to get it.

And then:::

3-2

Since there's no room, why are you trying to lodge?

100%duncan
05-11-2015, 09:30 AM

Cub's been extra salty these past few days.

But when I was checkin assholes, he wouldn't dare do a thing.

Thread
05-11-2015, 09:32 AM

Because you're currently holding the shit sandwich. You're the one who came home 3-2 and then had to boogie right back out to the airport.

Christ, it's only been a week & a bit. And the first 72 hours you & Midst wouldn't even acknowledge the loss.

Just shut up and shine.

3-2 and you thought you had it in the bag. tee, hee.

DMC
05-11-2015, 09:33 AM
He made a bad call saying the Spurs would win it all, plane/mountain all that.

Then he comes in and acts like the "going to be a problem" comment was going in the other direction. He's taken credit for both interpretations, good and bad.

I guess you take any port in a storm.

unleashbaynes
05-11-2015, 09:35 AM
it's cute watching mchale try to employ the hack strategy, dude just does it randomly. and a lot. and as soon as he stops doing it the Clips score 8 points in 30 seconds :lol

DMC
Because you're currently holding the shit sandwich. You're the one who came home 3-2 and then had to boogie right back out to the airport.

Christ, it's only been a week & a bit. And the first 72 hours you & Midst wouldn't even acknowledge the loss.

Just shut up and shine.

I called it both times. You just weren't around to see it. I called it in 2013 as well, and caught shit for it, then everyone acted like I didn't call it. Same with Curry, and everyone including you will forget it ever happened though through 3 years you've not dropped it one time.

Franklin
Can't blame Pop imho, the Spurs would've been a lottery team with anyone else being in Pop's position. Diaw and Splitter are contract whores who've never been the same since signing big deals. Green shits his pants throughout the season, and the likes of Patty and Beli don't even play a lick of defense, though their offensive efficiency is passable. They only have four good players in Duncan, Manu, Parker and Kawhi, and outside of Kawhi the other three are old and broken as fuck.

unleashbaynes
05-11-2015, 09:36 AM

Just shut up and shine.

Haha, now that the count is tied you're out of ammo. You're a beaut for sure.

DMC
05-11-2015, 09:39 AM
it's cute watching mchale try to employ the hack strategy, dude just does it randomly. and a lot. and as soon as he stops doing it the Clips score 8 points in 30 seconds :lol
Jordan would have better results if he didn't walk away from the FT line after every shot, or act like he's about to attempt a triple Lindy off the 40m dive with the breathing exercise. I mean he can't do worse than he's doing at the line, even blindfolded, so just stand there and shoot the goddamned thing. Why are fundamentals so fucking hard for these fuckers to grasp? Do they spend too much time playing monkeyball and pickup games that they cannot be trained?

Thread
05-11-2015, 09:39 AM
He made a bad call saying the Spurs would win it all, plane/mountain all that.

Then he comes in and acts like the "going to be a problem" comment was going in the other direction.

I said Leonard was going to be a problem and I was right on the money. It was CN who claimed he was going to be great. Not me. Him.

And what happened to you in California had a mountain range feeling to it.

ha, ha.

Franklin
05-11-2015, 09:45 AM
I think there's a concerted effort by franchises to get certain rules established or changed. They have to make it painful to make that happen. That's so they can have a big man game again instead of this Eurotrash 3pt shootout that's going on now. You cannot have a big man game if your big man gets abused at the FT line.

Why else would so many coaches suddenly be employing that strategy when it obviously doesn't work? When has it led to a win? If anything, it's cost teams games, because it stops the game both ways and coaches typically do it when the other team has momentum. Pop is smarter though, he did it when his team had momentum. That's called being a visionary.
It kinda worked in game 5 imho. Rivers had to sub out Demonkey due to Spurs' hack-a-monkey, which made it easier for the Spurs to score and grab rebounds. It disrupts the other team's offensive rhythm, yes, but the main purpose of such strategies is to restrict the playing time of a player whom you have no regular solution to (prime Shaq, the initial example). So you don't see hack-a-Rondo or anything, even if they shoot FT's just as bad or even worse.

DMC
05-11-2015, 10:08 AM
I said Leonard was going to be a problem and I was right on the money. It was CN who claimed he was going to be great. Not me. Him.

ha, ha.
Yeah, and when he did well you said "Me" and when he did poorly you said "Me".

You didn't specify who he was going to be a problem for... exactly. You know as well as I do that you're hedging bets.

"where can I go where the cold winds don't blow"...

DMC
05-11-2015, 10:11 AM
It kinda worked in game 5 imho. Rivers had to sub out Demonkey due to Spurs' hack-a-monkey, which made it easier for the Spurs to score and grab rebounds. It disrupts the other team's offensive rhythm, yes, but the main purpose of such strategies is to restrict the playing time of a player whom you have no regular solution to (prime Shaq, the initial example). So you don't see hack-a-Rondo or anything, even if they shoot FT's just as bad or even worse.

I get it that intentional fouls are effective, they do it in late game situations to avoid allowing the 3, even if it's not away from the ball. What I don't get though is why a coach would do it during a momentum swing in your favor when up tempo is your ally. Also, in the Shaq days where most decent teams played inside out, you weren't reliant on the tempo as much to score at the other end. Now you are, so you're throwing out the baby with the bathwater. Teams today are too reliant on emotional surge instead of solid post play and kick outs.

Clipper Nation
05-11-2015, 10:15 AM

I'm convinced that bad coaches spam the hack-a-Shaq strategy because they've seen Pop do it and therefore think they look smarter and more strategic by doing it themselves. It's nothing new, Mark Jackass used to do it all the time as well. Dwane Casey does it as well.

I'd rather see DJ learn to make free throws than see the rule get changed, but I'm just saying - you'd think if shitty coaches were going to rip off Pop, they'd rip off some of his plays, not this :lol

Clipper Nation
05-11-2015, 10:17 AM
Me.

DMC
05-11-2015, 10:22 AM
I'm convinced that bad coaches spam the hack-a-Shaq strategy because they've seen Pop do it and therefore think they look smarter and more strategic by doing it themselves. It's nothing new, Mark Jackass used to do it all the time as well. Dwane Casey does it as well.

I'd rather see DJ learn to make free throws than see the rule get changed, but I'm just saying - you'd think if shitty coaches were going to rip off Pop, they'd rip off some of his plays, not this :lol
You can't unilaterally rip off plays. You'd have to get the team to actually learn them. That's a problem with teams who's IQ is about the same as Tony's FG%. American ballers who come up through AAU are likely never going to learn sophisticated offense and defensive strategies. It's just setting picks, rolling and isolation, then get back on defense and rebound. Almost every team in the league plays a 2 man game with that 3rd option being in the corner if the help defense cuts off the roller. The step up is that the corner guy hits the wing. Spurs run that as well, but with them the wing puts it back into the paint for an easy lay up whereas other teams just shoot the 3. Most never hit the corner guy because they guy is watching the ball, not moving at all. So you cannot steal that stuff if your team doesn't think a few moves ahead. It's like trying to get a left fielder to play shortstop and expecting Ozzie Smith or Trammel.

What they can control (coaches that is) is the hack itself. Even then it's often the wrong guy getting the foul and wasting more time than required.

Thread
05-11-2015, 10:24 AM
Me.

Si'!

Ignignokt
05-11-2015, 10:39 AM

ha, ha.

Your troll job is cute.

Thread
05-11-2015, 10:41 AM
Your troll job is cute.

It was fun, but, DMC couldn't leave it alone and he found the goods.

Franklin
05-11-2015, 07:38 PM
I get it that intentional fouls are effective, they do it in late game situations to avoid allowing the 3, even if it's not away from the ball. What I don't get though is why a coach would do it during a momentum swing in your favor when up tempo is your ally. Also, in the Shaq days where most decent teams played inside out, you weren't reliant on the tempo as much to score at the other end. Now you are, so you're throwing out the baby with the bathwater. Teams today are too reliant on emotional surge instead of solid post play and kick outs.
But Pop is not a believer of emotional surge, unfortunately. It's his genius reasoning and composure that brought the team five rings, it may work out passively in given contexts but you can't throw the blame on Pop. The Spurs are just not a team reliant on emotion or whatsoever, and it's not rare to see a Spur being subbed out when he had just hit several shots in a row, just gets him out before he cools down - which I think is Pop's genius logic. The Spurs just acted as the team they were supposed to be imho, regardless of the result.

Another example, I remember last summer a lot of friends here (perhaps also including you) advised me to ask her out, but I remained inactive and finally I ran out her patience. But I don't regret, it may turn out to be a blessing in disguise. She may be just as good as I thought, or maybe even better, or the opposite, but it ain't having nothing to do with me anymore. In high school our teachers told us not to take on any relationship as a student, which I totally concurred on, and I just sticked to my faith. Without the faith I'd have been still working at a deadend shitty job and would've probably been buried in a shitload of life troubles.

The Spurs function like a machine and even though most of teams today are reliant on emotional surge, the Spurs have to make themselves an exception, imho.

DMC
05-11-2015, 08:26 PM
But Pop is not a believer of emotional surge, unfortunately. It's his genius reasoning and composure that brought the team five rings, it may work out passively in given contexts but you can't throw the blame on Pop. The Spurs are just not a team reliant on emotion or whatsoever, and it's not rare to see a Spur being subbed out when he had just hit several shots in a row, just gets him out before he cools down - which I think is Pop's genius logic. The Spurs just acted as the team they were supposed to be imho, regardless of the result.

Another example, I remember last summer a lot of friends here (perhaps also including you) advised me to ask her out, but I remained inactive and finally I ran out her patience. But I don't regret, it may turn out to be a blessing in disguise. She may be just as good as I thought, or maybe even better, or the opposite, but it ain't having nothing to do with me anymore. In high school our teachers told us not to take on any relationship as a student, which I totally concurred on, and I just sticked to my faith. Without the faith I'd have been still working at a deadend shitty job and would've probably been buried in a shitload of life troubles.

The Spurs function like a machine and even though most of teams today are reliant on emotional surge, the Spurs have to make themselves an exception, imho.
That worked well when the big 3 were running the show, but now the Spurs are mostly NOT the big 3. Players like Danny Green and Marco are surge players, as is Patty Mills. If you stiffle that, you're saying you can go to the big 3 for production and it was apparent by then they couldn't.

UZER
05-11-2015, 08:33 PM
Pop was the Joey Crawford of coaches against the clippers. He thought people were there to watch him.

HI-FI
05-11-2015, 08:45 PM
Pop was the Joey Crawford of coaches against the clippers. He thought people were there to watch him.
i wonder if the Spurs just didn't have enough gas, especially after Tiago's injury flaring up, so maybe he put in Parker to do his thing and help the Spurs get a higher draft spot. that or Pop's an asshole.

Franklin
05-11-2015, 10:21 PM
That worked well when the big 3 were running the show, but now the Spurs are mostly NOT the big 3. Players like Danny Green and Marco are surge players, as is Patty Mills. If you stiffle that, you're saying you can go to the big 3 for production and it was apparent by then they couldn't.
We don't have big 3 for a long while now imho, Manu has been a role player for years and the same goes for TOSB Duncan as well. They can still put out solid performances once in a while but more often than not we need supporting roles to stand up and score, which they miserably failed to do this year. Therefore, I think the success of the Spurs has always been dependent upon the contributions of their role players, and they only perform well in a well-functioned system that Pop has meticulously designed for them. If you let them out playing emotional ball and setting up the game themselves, they'd most likely get blown out. Spurs belong in the bottom range in terms of talent level, admit it or not. In that sense, it's always been Pop who orchestrates the show no matter which player or players run it, imho.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
05-11-2015, 10:26 PM
Didn't you say you haven't watched the playoffs Apa??

Thread
05-12-2015, 12:39 AM

Ooze

Caltex2
05-12-2015, 11:48 AM

Sad..

I wish Kevin McHale would over-coach. It might mean the Rockets would be up 3-1 as opposed to down 3-1. The Rockets entered this series with six days of rest vs. the Clippers 45 hours and long plane ride of rest? And they're down by a dominating 3-1 deficit?

Also, Philo is a faggot.

Yep. The Clippers are bad matchup but yep.

Thread
05-12-2015, 01:55 PM
I wish Kevin McHale would over-coach. It might mean the Rockets would be up 3-1 as opposed to down 3-1. The Rockets entered this series with six days of rest vs. the Clippers 45 hours and long plane ride of rest? And they're down by a dominating 3-1 deficit?

Yep. The Clippers are bad matchup but yep.

"matchup"---my ass. They skulled you out, punched you in the kisser and you ran away. What the fuck did your people think was going to happen?

unforeseen
05-12-2015, 02:16 PM
OP would not be able to coach a pre-season WNBA game if his life depended on it.
Yet he continues to post shit from his straw hut in a third world country.

ducks
05-12-2015, 02:54 PM

Sad..

why do you not apply you know so much:downspin: