PDA

View Full Version : Governor Blanco Piddles While New Orleans Burns

Jelly
09-08-2005, 01:15 PM
http://www.bayoubuzz.com/articles.aspx?aid=4934

Governor Blanco Piddles While New Orleans Burns

Author: Mike Baham | 9/5/2005 Home : Politics

When the last waters are finally pumped out of the New Orleans area, the people of southeast Louisiana, and for that matter the world, will make an awful discovery, that a great deal of the damage in the city was caused not by the winds and waters of Mother Nature but by the hands of a berserk mob.

The death toll inflicted by Hurricane Katrina itself will be staggering as the number 10,000 no longer seems like to great of an exaggeration, with a good number of these fatalities caused by malnutrition, dehydration, and disease. Yet how many of these poor souls who perished would have survived had rescue operations not been hindered by armed maniacs firing on these saviors just because they could?

When Katrina´s first squalls approached, the city of New Orleans and the surrounding parishes were in a fairly orderly state. Unfortunately, the destructive void left by the storm´s departure was quickly filled by mob violence that could have been contained or greatly limited.

The reports of mass looting, wanton rapes, and murders are a disgrace to the community. In contrast to her neighbor to the east, Governor Kathleen Blanco seemed more interested in showing compassion than strength during a time when order needed to be maintained.
These intended havens of mercy quickly devolved into the lowest rings of Dante´s Inferno as thousands of civilians were terrorized by their fellow evacuees. Within the temporary shelters of the Superdome and the Morial Convention Center, grisly crimes were committed against the most defenseless: the children and the elderly.

A story was published about the discovery of two children who were raped to death at the convention center. Other stories were circulated concerning racial strife within the Superdome that could be compared to present Zimbabwe.

A British newspaper reported the harrowing story of English tourists and expatriates caught in the storm and sent to the domed stadium were targeted for robbery by a black mob. Several were sexually harassed and threatened. As conditions worsened, the military had to remove the internationals for their own safety. I won´t bother holding my breath for Revs. Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson to condemn these hate crimes.

The thin sinews of civilization in New Orleans were stripped while the leader of Louisiana indecisively piddled between sending in the Louisiana militia to quell a situation that was clearly going over the brink and trying to not offend her core constituents who might object to looters being fired upon.

Matters became so chaotic that "insurgents" began shooting at engineers repairing the breaks in 17th Street Canal levees that was the source of a portion of New Orleans´s flooding problem. In a rare victory, the looters suffered casualties when the National Guard opened fire. Why would people attack the very men and women risking their lives to save the city and the very looters that (who is reserved for people, looters are soulless jackals) inhabit it?

I am certain charges will be proffered against the "murdering" National Guard soldiers shortly.

Blanco´s later insincere demand that President Bush remove Louisiana soldiers from Iraq and send them home, a politically crass move that she knows (or does she really know anything at all) is impractical. New Orleans needed army rifles from anywhere on the streets Monday evening and not Louisiana guns on Friday. But then again, Governor Blanco has displayed throughout this entire catastrophe seems a greater concern for politics than people. I am sure the governor made some hacks at the DNC very proud with her anti-Bush tirades while displaying all the virtues of an inept parish Police Juror.

Because Governor Blanco refused to talk tough when it was still possible to scare off thugs itching to loot, the city burst at its seams; after the destruction began, Governor Blanco failed to back up her new posture with action, chaos reigned, buildings were destroyed and people died. Now after the fact, things have calmed down with the dispatch of troops not necessarily from Louisiana.

As we enter the 7th day since Katrina reached Louisiana, the smoldering ruins of New Orleans are a testament to Governor Blanco´s incompetence and unwillingness to be firm with those who would use Katrina as a free pass to steal and kill at will, yet she appears angrier with the Bush Administration than the looters.

Legend has it when Rome burned, Emperor Nero, a musician and artist, played his lyre and sang. I wonder if Governor Blanco, known to be proud of her Cajun lineage, was playing a box accordion, a traditional Cajun-music instrument, at a time when New Orleans needed a Giuliani and got stuck with the anti-Rudy.

(I thought the screw-ups of this idiot deserved its own thread)

Jelly
09-08-2005, 01:28 PM
Press release on governor's website. Looks like she did try to utilize the busses. (check the date)

Press Release
Date: 9/1/2005

Contact: Denise Bottcher or Roderick Hawkins at 225-342-9037

Governor Blanco Announces Executive Order

Baton Rouge, LA— Governor Blanco today announced the following Executive Order:

Executive Order NO. KBB 2005- 31- provides that pursuant to the Louisiana Homeland Security and Emergency Assistance and Disaster Act, R.S. 29:721, et seq., grants emergency powers to the governor, where, she has in consultation with school superintendents, utilized public school buses for transportation of Hurricane Katrina evacuees. As you are aware most public school districts will not begin school until Tuesday, September 6th 2005.

The full text of the above mentioned proclamation is available on the Internet at www.gov.state.la.us.

SpursWoman
09-08-2005, 02:04 PM
That's great....but it's about 3 days too late, no? I think by 9/1 all of those busses were under water.

:fro

Nbadan
09-08-2005, 03:55 PM
A British newspaper reported the harrowing story of English tourists and expatriates caught in the storm and sent to the domed stadium were targeted for robbery by a black mob. Several were sexually harassed and threatened. As conditions worsened, the military had to remove the internationals for their own safety. I won´t bother holding my breath for Revs. Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson to condemn these hate crimes.

There was an article about these tourist in a British Newspaper and not once did the article mention that the tourist felt harassed or under duress. In fact, the NG snuck the tourist out in groups of 10 under the cover of darkness so it wouldn't be noticed and upset the New Orleaners who where stuck in the Superdome. Kind of blows the credibility of this article.

SWC Bonfire
09-08-2005, 04:04 PM
This is one of the best thread titles in quite some time. :tu

Jelly
09-08-2005, 04:10 PM
There was an article about these tourist in a British Newspaper and not once did the article mention that the tourist felt harassed or under duress. In fact, the NG snuck the tourist out in groups of 10 under the cover of darkness so it wouldn't be noticed and upset the New Orleaners who where stuck in the Superdome. Kind of blows the credibility of this article.

No it doesn't. It means that newspaper, like many European papers, is so PC, so convinced that all racism in America comes from whites that they won't even discuss the harassment that these people endured. I have heard these people in their own voices (on NPR) describe the extreme racial tension they felt while in there, and the harassment and threats they received from blacks (one said he felt it was based on their being both white and foreign). Virtually all the Europeans who stayed in the superdome described extreme racial tension (given that 95% of the people in there were black, who do think was at the receiving end of this hostility and racism?).
The National Guard took them out for their own safety.

Kind of blows the credibility of the paper you refer to, doesn't it? Find the link on NPR and listen for yourself.

Jelly
09-08-2005, 04:17 PM
But if it makes you feel better Dan, some of these Euros seem to have concluded that black racism against whites is the fault of the American system.

SWC Bonfire
09-08-2005, 04:23 PM
But if it makes you feel better Dan, some of these Euros seem to have concluded that black racism against whites is the fault of the American system.

Well, everyone gets along in England (except for the Irish, I mean, come on, you can't expect them to be treated equally, can you? They're IRISH.)

Nbadan
09-08-2005, 04:34 PM
Think about the criminal element which was allowed to run rods hot through the Dome for four days without any supervision at all. People were robbed, murdered and raped. Of course the Euros felt threatened, everyone felt threatened. Were racial slurs used? Probably, given the inhumane treatment, in which these people were kept, conditions that you wouldn't even keep your own dog in. Without any news from the outside world these people must have thought they were left there to die by their own government.. However, let's not mention that 80% were African-American because that might look like they were intentionally targeted while the Caucasian tourist were ferried off to safety.

Extra Stout
09-08-2005, 04:37 PM
I think when it's all said and done, Pres. Bush and Congress will take the blame for rolling FEMA into DHS. The consequence may be Democratic takeover of at least one house of Congress in the '06 elections. Michael Brown will take the blame for being too slow to get mobilized and for failing to understand the hurricane scenario for New Orleans. The consequence will be the loss of his job.

Mayor Nagin will take the blame for botching parts of his evacuation plan.

Governor Blanco appears to be the biggest part of the problem, and needs to be removed from office. Not only has she done nothing constructive whatsoever in relief efforts, she has been an obstruction at every turn for Nagin, for the NOPD, for organizations like the Red Cross, for the National Guard both in her state and in other states that came to help, and for the civil and military portions of the federal government that came in to do their jobs.

Even 10 days into the disaster, her top priority is protecting her own power and covering her own ass. Every time Nagin or Honore or Bush tries to make something happen, she sticks a wrench in the gears and makes them wait while she procrastinates. She obstructs efforts to streamline command and control, and has her own parallel organization doing what other federal and NGO groups are trying to do. She won't communicate.

People are still dying while she slows down the works. Apparently she has no decency.

As an aside, she was clearly not qualified when she won election, but the Republican candidate was an (Asian) Indian named Bobby Jindal, who now represents the 1st district of Louisiana in the House, and none of the idiot cracker monkeys up around Shreveport and Monroe were going to vote for a nonwhite, even if the alternative was an incompetent Cajun grandma liberal.

Jindal is something of an administrative and political science genius, for whom the GOP has high hopes. And the folks in the Florida parishes (that's the ones east of the Mississippi River, from Baton Rouge over to Slidell) enthusiastically supported him, both in his gubernatorial and congressional campaigns. The Florida parishes make up the 1st Congressional District which he now serves. However, the GOP underestimated the entrenched racism of the Piney Woods in the Louisiana gubernatorial election. Thus, they got Blanco.

SWC Bonfire
09-08-2005, 04:37 PM
Think about the criminal element which was allowed to run rods hot through the Dome for four days without any supervision at all.

I thought you said Rome.

How about "Blanco piddles while Dome squirms?"

Jelly
09-08-2005, 04:46 PM
Think about the criminal element which was allowed to run rods hot through the Dome for four days without any supervision at all. People were robbed, murdered and raped. Of course the Euros felt threatened, everyone felt threatened. Were racial slurs used? Probably, given the inhumane treatment, in which these people were kept, conditions that you wouldn't even keep your own dog in. Without any news from the outside world these people must have thought they were left there to die by their own government.. However, let's not mention that 80% were African-American because that might look like they were intentionally targeted while the Caucasian tourist were ferried off to safety.

Dan,
If the situation were reversed and a small group of blacks were harassed and threatened by a Superdome full of whites to the point where they had to be removed for their own safety, you know damn well Jackson and Sharpton would be all over it, it would be in every frickin' paper in the world, there would be riots all over this country, and we'd be talking about it as an example of the ugliness of racist America. And despite all the victims of violence at the Superdome, if a picture surfaced of a black guy who had been beaten to a bloody pulp by a mob of angry whites (instead of the reverse) THAT image would be beamed across the world as evidence of racist, intolerant America. Instead, the photo of the white guy beaten near death (and, in fact, I think he did die) has barely been seen by the public.

Jelly
09-08-2005, 05:03 PM

Jindal is something of an administrative and political science genius, for whom the GOP has high hopes. And the folks in the Florida parishes (that's the ones east of the Mississippi River, from Baton Rouge over to Slidell) enthusiastically supported him, both in his gubernatorial and congressional campaigns. The Florida parishes make up the 1st Congressional District which he now serves. However, the GOP underestimated the entrenched racism of the Piney Woods in the Louisiana gubernatorial election. Thus, they got Blanco.

Interesting. I don't know much about this guy. Actually, I know nothing about him, but one of the posters (J-6 maybe) has the opposite opinion as you. Last week, when I was mocking the governor, he said that at least she was better than Jindal.

Jelly
09-08-2005, 05:07 PM
Dan,
I don't want to talk about the race stuff anymore. Can we please just wrap that part up and move this thread back to its intended purpose...which is, to discuss why Blanco sucks so much.

The Ressurrected One
09-08-2005, 05:09 PM
Dan,
I don't want to talk about the race stuff anymore. Can we please just wrap that part up and move this thread back to its intended purpose...which is, to discuss why Blanco sucks so much.
Jelly, you'll have to put Dan on ignore to make much sense of his posts. Try it; you'll be amazed at how much more sensible the threads become.

Extra Stout
09-08-2005, 05:10 PM
Interesting. I don't know much about this guy. Actually, I know nothing about him, but one of the posters (J-6 maybe) has the opposite opinion as you. Last week, when I was mocking the governor, he said that at least she was better than Jindal.
The knock on Jindal is that he's very young -- just 34.

j-6
09-08-2005, 05:41 PM

Yeah, I said that.

I know a little about Bobby Jindal from the 03 elections, and in hindsight, he'd probably be better in this position than Blanco. Then again, who wouldn't be?

But my earlier reasoning: He'd only been in the workforce for six years before he was elected to Congress. He's only had one non-political job, and that was right out of graduate school for less than two years. Blanco was the Lt. Gov for eight years before her election vs. Jindal. There were some uncomfortable questions about finances when he was an administrator in the hospital system that he flat-out refused to answer.

When Vitter ran for Senate, Jindal moved from Baton Rouge to Jefferson Parish. The Republican party hung a lifelong Republican (Walters? Rogers? Don't remember) planning his campaign out to dry when he moved there to run. And his stupid, "No abortions and no exceptions!" speech just made me think of him as a chode.

Jelly
09-08-2005, 05:46 PM
Press release on governor's website. Looks like she did try to utilize the busses...after the hurricane)

Press Release
Date: 9/1/2005

Contact: Denise Bottcher or Roderick Hawkins at 225-342-9037

Governor Blanco Announces Executive Order

Baton Rouge, LA— Governor Blanco today announced the following Executive Order:

Executive Order NO. KBB 2005- 31- provides that pursuant to the Louisiana Homeland Security and Emergency Assistance and Disaster Act, R.S. 29:721, et seq., grants emergency powers to the governor, where, she has in consultation with school superintendents, utilized public school buses for transportation of Hurricane Katrina evacuees. As you are aware most public school districts will not begin school until Tuesday, September 6th 2005.

The full text of the above mentioned proclamation is available on the Internet at www.gov.state.la.us.

Jelly
09-08-2005, 05:47 PM
That's great....but it's about 3 days too late, no? I think by 9/1 all of those busses were under water.

:fro

that's my point SW. (I just edited my post)

SpursWoman
09-08-2005, 06:38 PM
that's my point SW. (I just edited my post)

I know...I thought you were leaving me the punchline. :) :lol

whottt
09-08-2005, 06:41 PM
I don't like the comments Jindal has been making...he's seems a lot like Nagin and Blanco to me...more interested in covering his own ass and worrying about his position than anything else.

AFE7FATMAN
09-09-2005, 01:20 AM

Just Wondering if this was the first time these folks looked around and
said oops these people are pissed and I'm the only one here whose skin tone is different? Wonder how many thought they were "Liberal" before this happened?

I.E.

TONTO
We are surrounded by Indians!
What are we going to do?

What? you mean "WE" Paleface.

Governor Blanco is in over her head.