PDA

View Full Version : NY Rangers the NHL equivalent of the Spurs

ErnestLynch
05-12-2015, 03:57 PM
The comments are pretty funny. Needless to say, no one agrees. Especially Redwings fans.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/the-rangers-are-the-san-antonio-spurs-of-the-nhl/

If it's been posted, sorry, I did a search/due diligence didn't find anything.

cjw
05-12-2015, 04:04 PM
Grew up a Rangers fan in the NY area - they've been at the cusp for a few years now and have a really deep squad, but like the Spurs they have stretches where they lack the go-to punch. After having both them and Spurs in their respective finals last year, the Spurs' early exit gave me a chance to concentrate on one sport this May/June.

ErnestLynch
05-12-2015, 04:17 PM
The article is sound enough I suppose, but the headline was pure clickbait. I'm an AVS fan and that game 7 against Detroit in 02 pretty much ruined my hockey love. Doesn't get much more brutal than that.

ThaBigFundamental21
05-12-2015, 04:34 PM
I read this article when it came out. I really don't see the correlation tbh. Mediocre reasoning tbh.

Godbama
05-12-2015, 04:40 PM
Americans who would actually willingly absorb anything remotely Canadian, my god...Paul Pierce will know what to do with you lot...

ErnestLynch
05-12-2015, 04:44 PM
I read this article when it came out. I really don't see the correlation tbh. Mediocre reasoning tbh.

Well, comparing the NY Rangers to the Spurs one is going to have to use a little imagination. And 9.99/10 commenters apparently agree with you. So there's that.

ThaBigFundamental21
05-12-2015, 06:26 PM
Well, comparing the NY Rangers to the Spurs one is going to have to use a little imagination. And 9.99/10 commenters apparently agree with you. So there's that.

I think the Patriots are the most comparable. And there are a lot of problems with that comparison too.

ErnestLynch
05-12-2015, 06:44 PM
I think the Patriots are the most comparable. And there are a lot of problems with that comparison too.

In the NHL, in the last 20 years, the Detroit Redwings are the closest comparison as a franchise but he's talking roster. Comparing different sports and even the same sport in different eras is an iffy endeavor. Hockey requires and has, by it's very nature, a 'deeper bench'. Everyone plays. Everyone matters. Who can impact a team more than any single player, is a goalie. You have a good goalie you can go far. It might not take you all the way, but it sure helps. Goals in the NHL, like soccer, are hard to come by. NHL to NBA is a comparison that will never work. NBA to soccer. It just doesn't work. Hence the hilarity of the article and comments.