PDA

View Full Version : Which coach has the most 1st round series losses for a career?

MultiTroll
05-12-2015, 10:20 PM
4 Greg Popper

Before any of you P Poppers serve me some crumpetts, it is acknowledged that # of total seasons coached is a factor.

Blake
05-12-2015, 10:29 PM
George Karl has 14 first round losses if I counted right on Wiki

MultiTroll
05-12-2015, 10:33 PM
Ya i remember that 1994 team that had the Poplike 1st round exit as #1 seed.

MultiTroll
05-12-2015, 10:37 PM
09 and 2010 Nuggets too.

Sean Cagney
05-13-2015, 02:05 AM

Pops team in 011 was the #1 seed indeed, other than that they were probably either banged up and missing Manu like in 09 or as in this year playing against a higher seed very talented Clippers team. In 00 Tim Duncan was out so they had no shot at all.

One Time Manu out for the year and the other Tim, Manu also hurt and misses a key game 1 in 11and if they have him they win that game 1 and probably the series.

FromWayDowntown
05-13-2015, 09:41 AM
Among active coaches with at least 5 playoff appearances:

14 -- George Karl (22 playoff appearances)
7 -- Phillip Saunders (11 playoff appearances)
5 -- Richard Carlisle (11 playoff appearances)
5 -- Glenn Rivers (11 playoff appearances)
4 -- Gregg Popovich (18 playoff appearances)
2 -- Erik Spoelstra (6 playoff appearances)
2 -- Thomas Thibodeau (5 playoff appearances)
2 -- Stanley Van Gundy (7 playoff appearances)

ErnestLynch
05-13-2015, 09:47 AM
An exit is an exit. There's only one win that counts in the playoffs.

Russ
05-13-2015, 09:57 AM
That's like the baseball pitcher who has the most career losses or the most career walks -- it just says he's a great pitcher.

MultiTroll
05-13-2015, 11:01 AM

Karls got Marty Shottenheimer type stats. :lol
Like Shot, he is great at getting bottom dwellars up to annual playoff making status.

MultiTroll
05-13-2015, 11:15 AM

7 -- Phillip Saunders (11 playoff appearances)
5 -- Richard Carlisle (11 playoff appearances)
5 -- Glenn Rivers (11 playoff appearances)
4 -- Gregg Popovich (18 playoff appearances)
2 -- Erik Spoelstra (6 playoff appearances)
2 -- Thomas Thibodeau (5 playoff appearances)
2 -- Stanley Van Gundy (7 playoff appearances)
So how has Pop fared in playoff series against this list?.....

0-1 against Doc Rivers. :rolleyes
2-1 vs Rick Carlisle 09L 10W 14W
Karl pending

Blake
05-13-2015, 11:19 AM
An exit is an exit. There's only one win that counts in the playoffs.

That. There's no second round trophy.

FromWayDowntown
05-13-2015, 11:31 AM

Karl -- 2005 WCFR (W), 2007 WCFR (W)
Saunders -- 1999 WCFR (W), 2001 WCFR (W)
Carlisle -- 2009 WCFR (L), 2010 WCFR (W), 2014 WCFR (W)
Rivers -- 2015 WCFR (L)
Spoelstra -- 2013 NBAF (L), 2014 NBAF (W)

I've got no idea where you're going with this, but the answer to your question is 7-3. Two of the 3 losses were in extremely close Game 7's in which the Spurs were the road team.

Blake
05-13-2015, 11:39 AM
I've got no idea where you're going with this

it's a horribly disguised Pop bashing thread

Bartleby
05-13-2015, 11:51 AM
it's a horribly disguised Pop bashing thread

and it fails.

MultiTroll
05-13-2015, 12:15 PM
Rivers -- 2015 WCFR (L)

I've got no idea where you're going with this, but the answer to your question is 7-3. Two of the 3 losses were in extremely close Game 7's in which the Spurs were the road team.
Threads title.
As to the head to head, i wanted to keep it to 1st round matchups. Still interesting to see the overall.

MultiTroll
05-13-2015, 12:17 PM
it's a horribly disguised Pop bashing thread. and my vagina hurts
No it's not.
Just some stats for perspective on Pops 1st round flame out to genius Doc Rivers.

Blake
05-13-2015, 12:30 PM
4 Greg Popper

Before any of you P Poppers serve me some crumpetts, it is acknowledged that # of total seasons coached is a factor.

Karl pending

:cry this thread isn't about Pop even though the question was answered in post #2.

there's more evidence here of you making this about Pop than of Brady knowing the balls were flat

MultiTroll
05-13-2015, 12:35 PM
:cry this thread isn't about Pop even though the question was answered in post #2.

there's more evidence here of you making this about Pop than of Brady knowing the balls were flat
Why should it not be about Pop? :lol

Two of the top 5 1st round losers faced off.
Doc had a far worse percentage going into the series. (5 of 11 vs 3 of 17 for CIA Popped)

Very timely thread.

Blake
05-13-2015, 12:43 PM
Why should it not be about Pop? :lol

no further questions your honor

ChumpDumper
05-13-2015, 12:47 PM
lol Fabbs shit on himself again.

He is so shitty when he is covered in his own shit.

He's going to lash out now.

ElNono
05-13-2015, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the numbers. It was a nice refresher that Pop, flaws and all, is one of the best in the business. :tu

MultiTroll
05-13-2015, 12:49 PM
no further questions your honor
:lol A Spurs board where the team just finished a series against a team with a comparison of 1st round flameouts.
Topical. You? Not so much.
Good to see you are now out of the thread.
And i see you just logged on as Rumpy for immoral support.
Take her with you. :lmao

ChumpDumper
05-13-2015, 12:52 PM
lol Fabbs shit on himself again.

He is so shitty when he is covered in his own shit.

He's going to lash out now.

:lol A Spurs board where the team just finished a series against a team with a comparison of 1st round flameouts.
Topical. You? Not so much.
Good to see you are now out of the thread.
And i see you just logged on as Rumpy for immoral support.
Take her with you. :lmaolol lashing out

Fabbs is so angry.

Seventyniner
05-13-2015, 12:59 PM
Rivers -- 2015 WCFR (L)

IIRC Pop has never lost multiple playoff series to any coach other than Phil Jackson.

MultiTroll
05-13-2015, 01:07 PM
IIRC Pop has never lost multiple playoff series to any coach other than Phil Jackson.
Right. Same team but different coaches.
Mavs Rookie Avery Johnson.
Mavs Rick Carlisle

ChumpDumper
05-13-2015, 01:14 PM
Watch the meltdown after this:

So what's your point, Fabbs?

FromWayDowntown
05-13-2015, 01:33 PM
Okay, Fabbs -- since you think Pop is a mouth-breathing moron who should be fired, surely you have some realistic idea about who the franchise should hire to replace him, right?

Go.

FromWayDowntown
05-13-2015, 01:41 PM
By the way, you know who has 5 first round exits in 21 playoff appearances (including a loss as a #1 seed to a #8 seed)?

Pat Riley.

Cry Havoc
05-13-2015, 01:48 PM
Okay, Fabbs -- since you think Pop is a mouth-breathing moron who should be fired, surely you have some realistic idea about who the franchise should hire to replace him, right?

Go.

:wow

When FWD is sounding off on you, it's a sign that you're a special kind of poster.

:wow

FromWayDowntown
05-13-2015, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the numbers. It was a nice refresher that Pop, flaws and all, is one of the best in the business. :tu

Come on, El Nono -- confine yourself to reasonable takes around here.

dg7md
05-13-2015, 04:46 PM
That's like the baseball pitcher who has the most career losses or the most career walks -- it just says he's a great pitcher.

It's also like saying who has the most Super Bowl losses. Yeah, it's a loss, but there's something to be said about making it there in the first place.

Pop is the best coach who is currently coaching in the league. Nobody will argue this. He might have his quirks or nuances, but they've worked more times than not.

A lot of luck goes into winning in the playoffs, not just preparation, talent, or skill.

MultiTroll
05-13-2015, 07:20 PM

Go.
In this most recent series loss to Doc Rivers?

Winning coaches would have been:
I would say your grandmother.
Mr Sheffield the Jr High science teacher and basketball coach.
About 25 current NBA coaches.
Tim Duncan
The lead singer for Hot Bi Chicks
T_Parks place of purchase for his custom made pants, the plant supervisor
A hot dog vender at any MLB game currently.

FromWayDowntown
05-13-2015, 08:03 PM
Brilliant dodge. Bravo, Fabbs! You've mastered the art of bitching in all sorts of unreasonable ways while managing to offer absolutely no answers. It's a real skill you've got there.

MultiTroll
05-13-2015, 08:20 PM
Brilliant dodge. Bravo, Fabbs! You've mastered the art of bitching in all sorts of unreasonable ways while managing to offer absolutely no answers. It's a real skill you've got there.
Listen Numby, if you want to change the subject on a thread, fine.
That i do not insta respond to that change, deal.
BTW i do believe a number of those i listed could and would have coached the Spurs past this years Clippers.
The "Who could ever replace the great and powerful Pop" has been discussed before and i've answered.

FromWayDowntown
05-13-2015, 08:27 PM
Awesome. So you should have no problem identifying a reasonable candidate to replace Pop. Should be on the tip of your tongue.

Have some courage; name some names -- you can even use your creative re-spellings and witty word play! Ah, the opportunity that you have!

Phenomanul
05-14-2015, 09:00 AM

^This

MultiTroll
05-14-2015, 09:23 AM
^
This V
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248041

Blake
05-14-2015, 10:01 AM
Listen Numby, if you want to change the subject on a thread, fine.

Oh what was the subject of this thread again?

ElNono
05-14-2015, 11:04 AM
Come on, El Nono -- confine yourself to reasonable takes around here.

:lol

MultiTroll
05-14-2015, 11:10 AM
Here is a poster who, on a Poll vote of 60 - 100 scale voted for Pops Basketball IQ in 2015 as:

"75-79 Nah he made some pretty bad mistakes"

Does that sound like "one of the best in the business"?

ElNono
05-14-2015, 11:18 AM
Here is a poster who, on a Poll vote of 60 - 100 scale voted for Pops Basketball IQ in 2015 as:

"75-79 Nah he made some pretty bad mistakes"

Does that sound like "one of the best in the business"?

I don't get what's your point? That was a vote for a particular series, and sure, Pop made mistakes.

When you look at his entire body of work though, mistakes and all, he's pretty darned good, wouldn't you agree?

FromWayDowntown
05-14-2015, 11:22 AM
When you look at his entire body of work though, mistakes and all, he's pretty darned good, wouldn't you agree?

[Still Unidentified Alternative Coach] would have won 10 titles with Tim Duncan. I'm unimpressed with 5.

MultiTroll
05-14-2015, 11:39 AM
I don't get what's your point? That was a vote for a particular series, and sure, Pop made mistakes.

a. Was actually for 2015.
b. yes his entire career the 5 titles are okay. As FWD notes, a good coach would have gotten 10 (i say 8 or 9) out of Prime Duncan GNob etc, but he did secure 5.

To you that excuses 2015s handing it to Doc Rivers and the Kia/State Farm fags?

ElNono
05-14-2015, 11:46 AM
a. Was actually for 2015.
b. yes his entire career the 5 titles are okay. As FWD notes, a good coach would have gotten 10 (i say 8 or 9) out of Prime Duncan GNob etc, but he did secure 5.

To you that excuses 2015s handing it to Doc Rivers and the Kia/State Farm fags?

That thread asked "Rate Pops Basketball I.Q. in Clippers series". This thread is looking at more than 2015. It's no surprise you would get different responses, especially in light of the numbers.

29 coaches "make mistakes" every season, only one "gets it right". That's just the nature of competitive sports.

If you think Pop blows, that's perfectly fine, that's your opinion. I don't think the numbers as presented bear that out.

I also said it in the poll thread: Pop scheming was good enough to create a ton of open looks for us, he can't be responsible for not knocking them down.

Did I also think he made mistakes? Sure. Is that the whole story? I don't think it is.

ElNono
05-14-2015, 11:50 AM
I personally rank Phil Jackson #1, and Pop #2 as far as coaches in modern times. I think Phil was actually the guy that had Pop figured out. Even then, Pop did beat him a couple times, which goes to show that talent has very likely a louder voice in these matters.

MultiTroll
05-15-2015, 07:30 AM
Even then, Pop did beat him a couple times, which goes to show that talent has very likely a louder voice in these matters.
4-1 Phil.
2003 was the only year Pop beat Phil head to head.

More talent then prime Duncan GNob and co?
No way. Popped did have a similar quitter attitude in 2008 about subbing in Brent Barrdog for 60% Manu like this years "we wont win without Parker" nonsense.

Horse
05-15-2015, 12:55 PM
Pops team in 011 was the #1 seed indeed, other than that they were probably either banged up and missing Manu like in 09 or as in this year playing against a higher seed very talented Clippers team. In 00 Tim Duncan was out so they had no shot at all.

One Time Manu out for the year and the other Tim, Manu also hurt and misses a key game 1 in 11and if they have him they win that game 1 and probably the series.
Manu played but was never right for the grizz series. And even though we should have won and pop coached awful it still was against a higher seed and a good team this yr. So he really doesn't have any real bad 1st round losses.

Horse
05-15-2015, 12:57 PM
I personally rank Phil Jackson #1, and Pop #2 as far as coaches in modern times. I think Phil was actually the guy that had Pop figured out. Even then, Pop did beat him a couple times, which goes to show that talent has very likely a louder voice in these matters.

Always the same shit once the Spurs started playing well he cried about the refs and we couldn't get a call the rest of the series. Fuck phil!

Sean Cagney
05-15-2015, 01:14 PM
Manu played but was never right for the grizz series. And even though we should have won and pop coached awful it still was against a higher seed and a good team this yr. So he really doesn't have any real bad 1st round losses.

I meant that game one Manu missed that series, that was HUGE. If he was healthy and played the whole series we win that one in 6 IMO. I agree with what you said though, we played the higher seed this year and they had HC so that is not such a horrible loss some make it out to be.

TampaDude
05-15-2015, 01:41 PM
It's also like saying who has the most Super Bowl losses. Yeah, it's a loss, but there's something to be said about making it there in the first place.

Yup...people like to rag on the Buffalo Bills for losing 4 straight Super Bowls back in the 1990s, but forget that it means the Bills won 4 straight AFC Championships, a notable accomplishment.

therealtruth
05-15-2015, 06:29 PM
4-1 Phil.

No way. Popped did have a similar quitter attitude in 2008 about subbing in Brent Barrdog for 60% Manu like this years "we wont win without Parker" nonsense.

I don't think PJ's competitiveness is much greater than Pop. Pop believes there are more important things than basketball and coaches like that. He likes to say you can't win it every year. No competitive person would say that nonsense.

Sean Cagney
05-15-2015, 06:33 PM
Yup...people like to rag on the Buffalo Bills for losing 4 straight Super Bowls back in the 1990s, but forget that it means the Bills won 4 straight AFC Championships, a notable accomplishment.
Damn good team.

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-16-2015, 03:12 AM
Seeing FWD dismantle Fabbs in a thread like this is kind of like witnessing an in-his-prime Muhammed Ali box against a 3rd grader...it's just not a fair fight.

MultiTroll
05-18-2015, 09:54 AM
http://archives.starbulletin.com/2001/02/13/news/art.jpg
McHale just does what CIA Popped was unable to.
NoNo please start training Ed on sugar and cinnamin sprinkling.

Arcadian
05-18-2015, 10:05 AM

Karl pending

Shut the fuck up. You tried to start a clever thread, and it was an epic failure. FromWayDowntown demonstrated how embarrassingly wrong you were, and this is how you respond? There's nothing you can do to save face now, except shut the fuck up and stop posting.

MultiTroll
05-18-2015, 10:08 AM
Shut the fuck up. You tried to start a clever thread, and it was an epic failure. FromWayDowntown demonstrated how embarrassingly wrong you were, and this is how you respond? There's nothing you can do to save face now, except shut the fuck up and stop posting.
He didn't demonstrate shit.
I gave a list of over 30 people/coaches who could have taken out Doc Rivers and the Clipps.
Now we can add McHale to the list.:rolleyes

Go back to your altar and worship.

ElNono
05-18-2015, 11:50 AM
4-1 Phil.

Actually, putting Udoka on Bryant when we were up 20 in Game 1 was probably his biggest blunder that series.

But Gino was hurt, and we all already know we go as far as Gino takes us...

Gagnrath
05-18-2015, 12:52 PM
That. There's no second round trophy.

You do get a nifty silver trophy for winning the third round and losing the 4th through.

ErnestLynch
05-18-2015, 10:45 PM
You do get a nifty silver trophy for winning the third round and losing the 4th through.

No parade though.

Blake
05-19-2015, 12:50 AM

I never see anyone bragging about those tbh

Sean Cagney
05-19-2015, 03:38 AM
Actually, putting Udoka on Bryant when we were up 20 in Game 1 was probably his biggest blunder that series.

But Gino was hurt, and we all already know we go as far as Gino takes us...

Gino being hurt was huge but honestly Tim is our ace no matter what this we go as far as so and so takes us... He is our most cosistent piece year in and out since 98. I get a laugh out of Pop or someone saying we go as far as Parker takez us when in reality Tim is the head of the team even at 39 and u know every series when others struggle or fade he is going to bring it.

I love Pop and Manu etc. but how lucky can you get to have this guy on your side for your career??

ElNono
05-19-2015, 12:48 PM
Gino being hurt was huge but honestly Tim is our ace no matter what this we go as far as so and so takes us... He is our most cosistent piece year in and out since 98. I get a laugh out of Pop or someone saying we go as far as Parker takez us when in reality Tim is the head of the team even at 39 and u know every series when others struggle or fade he is going to bring it.

I love Pop and Manu etc. but how lucky can you get to have this guy on your side for your career??

Tim is the foundation. Without him, there's no shot. He's always going to make your team play at 8/10. If the other team doesn't play at 9 or 10, they can't beat you, and that's definitely Tim. But this isn't 2003 anymore, and it's rare you're not going to find a team in the playoffs that doesn't play at 9 or 10 (2007 notwithstanding). That's when you need the x-factor, the extra gear, the guy that takes the team by the balls and takes it to the next level, and that has always been Gino. When he hasn't been right, we really can't win. You always have guys that can take on the scoring or defensive load, but when it comes to leadership, when you need that momentary jump in quality, those two have always been the guys. Hopefully at some point Kawhi is special enough that he can pick up and carry that torch, but it's also entirely possible that he won't. We're talking about special guys here, if it would be easy to find them, every team would have them.

Sean Cagney
05-19-2015, 01:01 PM
Tim is the foundation. Without him, there's no shot. He's always going to make your team play at 8/10. If the other team doesn't play at 9 or 10, they can't beat you, and that's definitely Tim. But this isn't 2003 anymore, and it's rare you're not going to find a team in the playoffs that doesn't play at 9 or 10 (2007 notwithstanding). That's when you need the x-factor, the extra gear, the guy that takes the team by the balls and takes it to the next level, and that has always been Gino. When he hasn't been right, we really can't win. You always have guys that can take on the scoring or defensive load, but when it comes to leadership, when you need that momentary jump in quality, those two have always been the guys. Hopefully at some point Kawhi is special enough that he can pick up and carry that torch, but it's also entirely possible that he won't. We're talking about special guys here, if it would be easy to find them, every team would have them.
Thats my point, when Gino has not been right they can't win (Tim seems to always be right except 2011). Tim is the one who is the most consistent by far and always there, true he needs help to win it all as others do but honestly he is the head of the team like I said and the foundation as you said. There will be others to come and go as that piece to help out but Tim is the one who is always there and the consistent one year after year and some take that for granted (That he will always be there). Ginobili was a huge key off the bench and to their success no doubt about it at all but the consistent is Tim.