05-15-2015, 01:12 AM
Blues Legend dead..

RD2191
05-15-2015, 01:32 AM
RIP

Silver&Black
05-15-2015, 01:36 AM
Avante

Get in here and pay your respect...and give me a B.B. King breakdown of his career

RIP B.B. King

CitizenDwayne
05-15-2015, 01:38 AM
Truly tragic. Nothing worse than someone taken down in their prime.

HI-FI
05-15-2015, 01:54 AM
RIP.

Robz4000
05-15-2015, 02:05 AM
RIP

z0sa
05-15-2015, 03:29 AM
RIP..

Chinook
05-15-2015, 04:55 AM
Passed up a chance to see one of his shows a few years ago. Shame now.

Koolaid_Man
05-15-2015, 06:44 AM
I never got or understood that kind of music..to be honest I dont like it...therefore I've never listened to a B.B. King song....I heard he was a blues legend but that kind of music sounded like crap to me..,it did nothing for me...soon as I would hear it I would turn that shit off...nothing against BB....but that fucking music sucks....

RIP BB

Buddy Mignon
05-15-2015, 07:56 AM
The thrill is definitely gone. Get in here AVANTE... carry the torch.

BXsusJ787sU

Avante
05-15-2015, 08:58 AM
The Mount Bluesmore

Blind Lemon Jefferson
Robert Johnson
Muddy Waters
B.B. King

Born Riley B. King Sept 16 1925 in Indianola Miss

His big influense was gospel music as a kid and jazz guitar legends Charley Christian and Django Rhinehardt. His cousin Bukka White one of the legendary Delta cats another influense, he recorded in 1930.

After the war BB landed a gig in Memphis working for a local radio statio WDIA. Yep, a disc jockey. He became...Beale Street Blues Boy. Later shorten to...B.B.King.

Funny thing about his story is how his first recordings in 1949 bombed. They were for the Bullet label out of Nashville. He cut 4 forgettable sides. Like Elvis, Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis, Roy Orbison, Howlin' Wolf and Carl Perkins his big break came from Sam Phillips. And it was a cover of a Lowell Fulsons "Three O' Clock Blues" and it is not superior to Fulsons classic. This was in 1951.

"The Thrill Is Gone"...is The BB King tune in my opinion. His cool way of communicating the mood of his songs and his smooth delivery a little different and he made it work. He was never a lowdown back in the alley bluesman like John Lee Hooker. Which is ok, if ya need lowdown, listen to John Lee Hooker, ha~~

BB King being one of the few blues cats (Jimmy Reed) to be played by rock stations.

You didn't have to be a blues fan to know who BB King was, that right there says it all about what was the greatest career ever seen by a bluesman. All of us who love the music know the impact he made.

BB couldn't sing and play guitar a little thing that kinda goes unnoticed, he'd pick and then sing. Yep, unique.

The blues lost one of it's true legends and he will be missed by all of us who love to wander around dusty dirt roads for no reason at all.

R.I.P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPeTtg3fTB8

Koolaid_Man
05-15-2015, 09:01 AM
The thrill is definitely gone. Get in here AVANTE... carry the torch.

BXsusJ787sU

Didnt know he sang that..that's alright :lol

tlongII
05-15-2015, 09:11 AM
RIP to a blues legend.

Avante
05-15-2015, 09:20 AM
I never got or understood that kind of music..to be honest I dont like it...therefore I've never listened to a B.B. King song....I heard he was a blues legend but that kind of music sounded like crap to me..,it did nothing for me...soon as I would hear it I would turn that shit off...nothing against BB....but that fucking music sucks....

RIP BB

Jimmie Rodgers "The Father of Country Music" was just a white bluesman, he talked about listening to blacks sing them blues growing up in Mississippi.

Elivis's big influense was them blues, his first record "That's Alright Mama" a cover of a Big Boy Crudup tune. His "Hound Dog" a cover of a Big Mama Thornton tune.

The Rolling Stones, got that name from a 1951 Muddy Waters tune.."Rolling Stones" Brian Jones worshipped slide guitarist Elmore James.

When The Beatles first landed in America, a reporter stuck a mic in the face of John Lennon and asked.."so what;s the first thing you wanna do"....Lennon replied..."meet Muddy Waters".

Led Zepplelin has covered a lot of old blues tunes, "When The Levee Breaks" an old Memphis Minnie & Kansas Joe McCoy tune.

Janis Joplins huge influense was blues legend Bessie Smith.

Jimi Hendrix grew up listening to blues, his big influense Guitar Slim.

Bob Dylan a huge fan of Georgia's Blind Willie Mctell.

Pink Floyd got that name from prewar blues cats, Pink Anderson and Floyd Council.

Hank Williams played a ton of blues.

And it goes on and on and......

A rare sight....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPtv14q9ZDg

Buddy Mignon
05-15-2015, 09:45 AM
K9Y7CoV54VI

Trainwreck2100
05-15-2015, 09:49 AM
not even a blues thread is safe

Avante
05-15-2015, 09:49 AM
BB couldn't say enought about.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8G1J0UlCkcY

Blake
05-15-2015, 09:53 AM

RIP BB

It doesn't help that you're a white teenager

Avante
05-15-2015, 10:08 AM
Whites been playing them blues forever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QexOuH8GS-Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jguvUHepISU&list=PLQQuk8hqkMq6wWji0a_XQj_h CWZJT5tZ2

Buddy Mignon
05-15-2015, 10:09 AM
Ali took them boys back to Africa.

eKMLIcJJFTI

Avante
05-15-2015, 10:23 AM
Ali took them boys back to Africa.

eKMLIcJJFTI

In Bill Wymans (yep,Rolling Stones) "Blues Odyssey" a fantastic book on them blues with a CD. There is a chapter on the slave trade and how the blacks arrived and that experience, yep, the true blues roots.

gameFACE
05-15-2015, 11:10 AM
Passed through Indianola, MS last September and went to the BB King Museum. Great collection of blues and civil rights.

RIP

TeyshaBlue
05-15-2015, 09:09 PM
BB was a big fan of Western Swing, of all things. Caught him lurking at the back of the Ft Worth convention center during the AWA awards in the late 90's. He knew the acts and alot of the artists...including the sidemen. Pretty sharp memory.

RIP BB.

cantthinkofanything
05-16-2015, 06:25 PM
You should check out Night Ranger. They are fucking indefensible.

Thread
05-16-2015, 10:25 PM
I looked in the stacks and didn't find the citation, so I'll go, Ben E. King also went, April 30th.

Here, his "Stand By Me" taken from the scriptures & written by King weds him at the moment he hit & then hits again:::

dTd2ylacYNU

spurraider21
05-16-2015, 10:34 PM
RIP to a legend

cd021
05-16-2015, 10:49 PM
Jimmie Rodgers "The Father of Country Music" was just a white bluesman, he talked about listening to blacks sing them blues growing up in Mississippi.

Elivis's big influense was them blues, his first record "That's Alright Mama" a cover of a Big Boy Crudup tune. His "Hound Dog" a cover of a Big Mama Thornton tune.

The Rolling Stones, got that name from a 1951 Muddy Waters tune.."Rolling Stones" Brian Jones worshipped slide guitarist Elmore James.

When The Beatles first landed in America, a reporter stuck a mic in the face of John Lennon and asked.."so what;s the first thing you wanna do"....Lennon replied..."meet Muddy Waters".

Led Zepplelin has covered a lot of old blues tunes, "When The Levee Breaks" an old Memphis Minnie & Kansas Joe McCoy tune.

Pink Floyd got that name from prewar blues cats, Pink Anderson and Floyd Council.

A rare sight....

To add on:

Son House should also be mentioned he mentored two of the great blues men personally, Muddy Waters and Robert Johnson.

Robert Johnson actually borrowed "Woke Up this morning, feel around for my shoes/ What you know boat that/ got them walkin' blues" line from him

Son Houses' "Death Letter" is arguably one of the five greatest blues songs ever

Led Zepplin also covered Blind Willie McTell, Lead Belly and Robert Johnson (so did Cream and Clapton ,solo)

Hendrix biggest (or at least favorite blues-man) influence was probably Elmore James. He actually cover Bleeding Heart (which he recorded at least 4 times in various styles)

don't think its on you tube but Hendrix has another Hear My Train A Comin' acoustic take with a harmonica player. Even better than the '12 string take

Avante
05-16-2015, 11:04 PM
To add on:

Son House should also be mentioned he mentored two of the great blues men personally, Muddy Waters and Robert Johnson.

Robert Johnson actually borrowed "Woke Up this morning, feel around for my shoes/ What you know boat that/ got them walkin' blues" line from him

Son Houses' "Death Letter" is arguably one of the five greatest blues songs ever

Led Zepplin also covered Blind Willie McTell, Lead Belly and Robert Johnson (so did Cream and Clapton ,solo)

Hendrix biggest (or at least favorite blues-man) influence was probably Elmore James. He actually cover Bleeding Heart (which he recorded at least 4 times in various styles)

don't think its on you tube but Hendrix has another Hear My Train A Comin' acoustic take with a harmonica player. Even better than the '12 string take

Robert Johnson hung around with Son House, Charley Patton and Willie Brown. And he took a lot of what others were doing and did his thing with it. I have a CD of those songs he....borrowed.

Hendrix has talked about being impressed with Guitar Slim's showmanship. He was flashy. He did grow up listening to Muddy, Howlin' Wolf, like you mentioned Elmore James, who had a big influense on just about anyone who played guitar and knew of him.

Good stuff!

Alwys glad to find somebody who knows this stuff, cool~~~~~~

Five greatest prewar blues in my opnion. Impossible to do this in order.

St. Louis Blues...Bessie Smith
Black Snake Moan...Blind Lemon Jefferson
How Long How Long....Leroy Carr
James Alley...Rabbit Brown
Crossroads Blues...Robert Johnson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKHkG0GxA0E

This is in my opinion the best example there is of them Mississippi Delta Blues, this cat recorded but one record then left that Devils music for the ministry, died out in California about 60 miles south of where I'm sitting. I was going to search him out in Bakersfield, he died before I got the chance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj6wepE_NvY

cd021
05-20-2015, 10:43 AM
Robert Johnson hung around with Son House, Charley Patton and Willie Brown. And he took a lot of what others were doing and did his thing with it. I have a CD of those songs he....borrowed.

Hendrix has talked about being impressed with Guitar Slim's showmanship. He was flashy. He did grow up listening to Muddy, Howlin' Wolf, like you mentioned Elmore James, who had a big influense on just about anyone who played guitar and knew of him.

Good stuff!

Alwys glad to find somebody who knows this stuff, cool~~~~~~

Five greatest prewar blues in my opnion. Impossible to do this in order.

St. Louis Blues...Bessie Smith
Black Snake Moan...Blind Lemon Jefferson
How Long How Long....Leroy Carr
James Alley...Rabbit Brown
Crossroads Blues...Robert Johnson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKHkG0GxA0E

This is in my opinion the best example there is of them Mississippi Delta Blues, this cat recorded but one record then left that Devils music for the ministry, died out in California about 60 miles south of where I'm sitting. I was going to search him out in Bakersfield, he died before I got the chance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj6wepE_NvY

Hadn't heard about Guitar Slim until you mentioned him. Apparently was one of the first to use guitar distortion.

Love Robert Johnson's (and Son Houses') expressive vocals, guitar play and lyrics. Crossroad Blues is definitely a favorite.

Some my favorites

Burning Hell-John Lee Hooker (both versions)
Louis Collins-Mississippi John Hurt
Death Letter-Son House

Please Accept My Love [ Live in Cook County Jail]-B.B. King
Statesboro Blues-Blind Willie McTell
Dark Was The night Cold Was The Ground-Blind Willie Johnson

Love In Vain-Robert Johnson
Crossroad Blues-Robert Johnson
Devil Got My Woman-Skip James

Electic Blues:

Going Down-Freddie King
[Hey Joe
Red House
Voodoo Chile
Somewhere
Hear My Train A Comin'] All by Hendrix

I tend to go for electric blues more but I love the older pre-war stuff as well.

Avante
05-20-2015, 10:55 AM
Hadn't heard about Guitar Slim until you mentioned him. Apparently was one of the first to use guitar distortion.

Love Robert Johnson's (and Son Houses') expressive vocals, guitar play and lyrics. Crossroad Blues is definitely a favorite.

Some my favorites

Burning Hell-John Lee Hooker (both versions)
Louis Collins-Mississippi John Hurt
Death Letter-Son House

Please Accept My Love [ Live in Cook County Jail]-B.B. King
Statesboro Blues-Blind Willie McTell
Dark Was The night Cold Was The Ground-Blind Willie Johnson

Love In Vain-Robert Johnson
Crossroad Blues-Robert Johnson
Devil Got My Woman-Skip James

Electic Blues:

Going Down-Freddie King
[Hey Joe
Red House
Voodoo Chile
Somewhere
Hear My Train A Comin'] All by Hendrix

I tend to go for electric blues more but I love the older pre-war stuff as well.

Hendrix took what Guitar Slim was doing to the extreme, you can see the influense.

Devil Got My Woman/Hard Time Killin' Floor....by Skip James about as good as prewar blues gets.

Give...

Scrapper Blackwell
Buddy Moss
Ed Bell
Henry Townsend
King Solomon Hill
Ishman Bracey

.....a listen, all on youtube.

That Dark Was The Ground..... Willie Johnson an incredible sound. As is...Bozie Sturdivant, chech it out.

Avante
05-21-2015, 11:28 PM
Them old prewar blues was very territorial. You had...

Mississippi Delta
Texas
Alabama
Memphis
St.Louis
Georgia
East Coast/Piedmont

Each territory having those who best represented that sound, school of blues.

Here are the four that best represent the territories.

Mississippi Delta...Charley Patton, Son House, Big Bill Broonzy, Robert Johnson
Texas...Blind Lemon Jefferson, Texas Alexander, Ramblin' Thomas, Henry "Ragtime" Thomas
Alabama...Ed "Barefoot Bill" Bell, Jaybird Coleman, Lucille Bogan, Sonny Scott
Memphis...Furry Lewis, Gus Cannon Jug Stompers, Frank Stokes, Memphis Jug Band
St. Louis...Peetie Wheatstraw, Roosevelt Sykes, Walter Davis, Henry Townsend
Georgia...Blind Willie McTell, Curley Weaver, Ma Rainey, Buddy Moss
East Coast/Piedmont...Blind Blake, Blind Boy Fuller, Julius Daneils, Josh White

DMC
05-22-2015, 12:19 AM

A rare sight....

Peerless..