PDA

View Full Version : Anybody here work at Google?

Spur|n|Austin
05-15-2015, 01:56 PM
Recently just received an offer and have some questions before accepting. :toast

Blake
05-15-2015, 03:01 PM
Lemme know if it's really like that crappy Owen Wilson/Vince Vaughn flick

m>s
05-15-2015, 04:05 PM
Recently just accepted an offer

and have some questions before accepting

Lol what

Spur|n|Austin
05-15-2015, 04:14 PM
Lol what

well crap lol, that was meant to say received not accepted. Fixed..

m>s
05-15-2015, 04:59 PM
Google should pay well and I've heard people really like working there, what are u some kind of software developer whizz?

Spur|n|Austin
05-15-2015, 05:08 PM
Google should pay well and I've heard people really like working there, what are u some kind of software developer whizz?

Nope, sort of the opposite - I'm in Account Management and Business Development.

I've heard the same as you regarding people enjoying working there. The benefits and pay aren't too shabby either. I'm curious about the amount of travel and a few other things. Not looking to relocate, but I hear lots of people are asked to after a couple years.

cantthinkofanything
05-15-2015, 05:11 PM
Recently just received an offer and have some questions before accepting. :toast

Sure. What would you like to know?

DMX7
05-15-2015, 05:11 PM

I've heard the pay isn't that great -- that they try to get away with paying you less because they know their reputation, work environment and glitzy benefits make-up for it. But those are really only in main offices.

Which office would you be working out of?

Spur|n|Austin
05-15-2015, 05:13 PM
I've heard the pay isn't that great -- that they try to get away with paying you less because they know their reputation, work environment and glitzy benefits make-up for it. But those are really only in main offices.

Which office would you be working out of?

I interviewed at an office in downtown Austin that I didn't even know about. I was only aware of the North Austin location.

DMX7
05-15-2015, 05:16 PM
I interviewed at an office in downtown Austin that I didn't even know about. I was only aware of the North Austin location.

I didn't know that as well. Have you interviewed anywhere else? Make sure you're getting a competitive pay.

Spur|n|Austin
05-15-2015, 05:21 PM
Sure. What would you like to know?

I'm curious on possibilities of advancement and future growth within the organization.

Info on their 401K.

How's the work-life balance?

Is the culture changing?

Koolaid_Man
05-15-2015, 05:21 PM
well crap lol, that was meant to say received not accepted. Fixed..

Google has a high standard and you cant even get received vs. accepted right? No way you're a coder. When in binary 1 means on and 0 means off....or a simple symbol like a minus sign could be the difference in a world cyber war.... getting received vs. accepted wrong can mean life or death for a google employee....

But dont worry...i googled the following:

Average salaries for Google Janitor: $101510. Google salary trends based on salaries posted anonymously by Google employees

Good luck on your janitor position...dopey...:lol:lol

DMX7
05-15-2015, 05:24 PM
I'm curious on possibilities of advancement and future growth within the organization.

Info on their 401K.

You didn't find out about that stuff when you interviewed? That was your chance to ask.

Koolaid_Man
05-15-2015, 05:24 PM
Nope, sort of the opposite - I'm in Account Management and Business Development.

I've heard the same as you regarding people enjoying working there. The benefits and pay aren't too shabby either. I'm curious about the amount of travel and a few other things. Not looking to relocate, but I hear lots of people are asked to after a couple years.

Ok..now see..you're a gotdam liar..they dont hire outside for positions like that unless you graduated from an Ivy league school..or they source it from within

Spur|n|Austin
05-15-2015, 05:25 PM
I didn't know that as well. Have you interviewed anywhere else? Make sure you're getting a competitive pay.

I actually applied like 6 months ago, and had sort of forgotten about it. I wasn't actually really looking, I just came across a posting for the opening on Linkedin and decided to take a shot in the dark and apply. So haven't interviewed anywhere else, I just know the company I'm at now, is not where I see myself in the years to come. I just like to have as much info as possible before making a big move or decision, my gut says do it..

DMX7
05-15-2015, 05:25 PM
Ok..now see..you're a gotdam liar..they dont hire outside for positions like that unless you graduated from an Ivy league school..or they source it from within

If it's some type of sales account manager position, then you likely don't need an ivy league degree.

Spur|n|Austin
05-15-2015, 05:26 PM

:lol ok.

Spur|n|Austin
05-15-2015, 05:28 PM
You didn't find out about that stuff when you interviewed? That was your chance to ask.

I did, minus the 401K - hearing it from someone outside of the conference room who works there is always a more truthful answer imo.

DMX7
05-15-2015, 05:30 PM
You should get an offer package or letter that outlines everything you're getting. I'm surprised they wouldn't provide that to you even without asking.

Koolaid_Man
05-15-2015, 05:34 PM
This fucking dude must be talking about google cartoons or some shit...he seems woefully unprepared for the work force....i keep telling yall them unemployment checks aint half bad....not too shabby at all...:lol

cantthinkofanything
05-15-2015, 05:36 PM

Info on their 401K.

Is the culture changing?

Man. That's a lot. I have no idea.

Strange Love
05-15-2015, 07:16 PM
LOL just like mall cop got a playboy mansion party e-invite. :lol

Blake
05-15-2015, 09:26 PM

you could ....... google the answers

leemajors
05-16-2015, 02:38 PM

Friend of mine works there for Nest division in Austin, he loves it. Previously worked at Apple.

DJR210
05-16-2015, 03:32 PM
I worked at Google back in the day..

One of the worst places to work IMO. Near slave shop conditions. AC is turned on in the winter, and heat in the summer. You get 1 five minute break per day, and a floating 15 minute lunch you can redeem once per week. The pay was terrible. I was sexually harassed by an obese woman who was supposed to be my supervisor on a near daily basis. She would call me over to "coach me", but it turned out that she was more interested in putting me on the spot sexually. She did this to all her male employees. If you said no, she would have you fired.

You should apply at Initech instead.

DJR210
05-16-2015, 03:34 PM
LOL just like mall cop got a playboy mansion party e-invite. :lol

R.I.P Tino :cry

cantthinkofanything
05-16-2015, 06:24 PM
You should get a job at Coco Crisp. It's fucking bombastic.

Blake
05-16-2015, 07:50 PM
I was sexually harassed by an obese woman who was supposed to be my supervisor on a near daily basis. She would call me over to "coach me", but it turned out that she was more interested in putting me on the spot sexually. She did this to all her male employees. If you said no, she would have you fired.

Daily basis? How many days

DJR210
05-16-2015, 11:14 PM
Daily basis? How many days

I gave her fake chow for 17 days before I finally quit

Spur|n|Austin
05-17-2015, 08:09 PM

One of the worst places to work IMO. Near slave shop conditions. AC is turned on in the winter, and heat in the summer. You get 1 five minute break per day, and a floating 15 minute lunch you can redeem once per week. The pay was terrible. I was sexually harassed by an obese woman who was supposed to be my supervisor on a near daily basis. She would call me over to "coach me", but it turned out that she was more interested in putting me on the spot sexually. She did this to all her male employees. If you said no, she would have you fired.

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20091212072520/villains/images/c/c0/Lumbergh.jpg

Spur|n|Austin
05-17-2015, 08:10 PM
Friend of mine works there for Nest division in Austin, he loves it. Previously worked at Apple.

:bobo

DJR210
05-17-2015, 11:42 PM
http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20091212072520/villains/images/c/c0/Lumbergh.jpg

"We're gonna go ahead and have you come in on Sunday too."

Blake
05-18-2015, 08:41 AM
Oh....next Friday…is Hawaiian shirt day. So, you know, if you want to, go ahead and wear a Hawaiian shirt and jeans.

DMX7
05-18-2015, 11:06 AM

Are you sure you weren't working at Burger King instead?

Spurs9
05-18-2015, 06:52 PM
Are you sure you weren't working at Burger King instead?
Yeah that doesn't sound like google. Google has hit me up before but never wanted to pursue it. I ignore all the linkedin messages recruiters spam at me.