PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: Why Ginobili May Retire

BillMc
05-15-2015, 06:43 PM
Here is an ESPN article speculating that Manu, no longer able to regularly play as he once did, may retire:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nba/post/_/id/3186/report-why-manu-ginobili-may-retire

It cites (one could say parrots) a Dan McCarney article, that while in no way is optimistic, allows slightly more chance Manu may return. That article is here:

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2015/05/15/2014-15-season-review-manu-ginobili/#30048101=0

While this is all speculation, it does give me a vibe that we have seen the last of Manu on the court. Hope its not so.

slick'81
05-15-2015, 06:50 PM
Manus got one more year left in him

Dex
05-15-2015, 06:52 PM
I think that may be it for Ginobili, tbh. 5 was his swan song...the game-winner against the Thunder, the slam on Allen, redeeming himself against the Heat. He came back for the repeat, and his body didn't cooperate. I'm not sure I'm convinced that Manu was as bad as this article speculates...but he certainly had a number of games that were between disappointing and awful. More concerning, he made several comments throughout the season about his body not healing and reacting like it used to.

To me, it didn't seem like that "I just need to get healthy" kind of talk. It seemed like that "I'm getting too old for this shit" kind of talk.

The main reason I think Tim will come back, honestly, is because he's stayed healthy and is able to still play consistently at a high level.

Manu, unfortunately, doesn't have that same benefit to fall back on.

EVAY
05-15-2015, 07:04 PM
I think that may be it for Ginobili, tbh. 5 was his swan song...the game-winner against the Thunder, the slam on Allen, redeeming himself against the Heat. He came back for the repeat, and his body didn't cooperate. I'm not sure I'm convinced that Manu was as bad as this article speculates...but he certainly had a number of games that were between disappointing and awful. More concerning, he made several comments throughout the season about his body not healing and reacting like it used to.

To me, it didn't seem like that "I just need to get healthy" kind of talk. It seemed like that "I'm getting too old for this shit" kind of talk.

The main reason I think Tim will come back, honestly, is because he's stayed healthy and is able to still play consistently at a high level.

Unfortunate is right. I do agree, however, that your assessment is probably pretty accurate.

I just HOPE that he will come back and give us 15 minutes of great Manu-type basketball per game.

baseline bum
05-15-2015, 07:12 PM

Nothing about Manu's interview after Game 7 made it sound like he'd be back. Not when he was talking about how hard it is to play against people in their twenties. Thankfully Tim looks like a good bet to return, as the wheels haven't come anywhere close to falling off.

Agloco
05-15-2015, 07:37 PM

Ding ding. His words throughout the season translated to this IMO.

In my minds eye, I've seen Manu play for the final time. It was a glorious run.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
05-15-2015, 07:38 PM
If that's true about a Spurs insider saying that about Manu, that's very disrespectful.

Budkin
05-15-2015, 07:51 PM
You'd think he'd come back for a damn farewell tour so Spurs fans could send him off properly... come on Manu!

Taking it to the Hole
05-15-2015, 08:07 PM
I think it is only fitting that Manu retire now. I think it is selfish of a player to want to still play when they are no longer able to contribute. Manu had a couple of decent games this year but nowhere near even a lowered standard of consistency. It is time. He has nothing else left to prove and as fans we should be accepting that as much as we would like to see the old Manu, he has a lot more basketball miles on him than the majority of the roster. Unfortunately, for a competitor like him, it is going to be more difficult for him to walk away but I think he has even admitted that he wants to do other things and spend more time with his family and that is the most humble thing a man like him can do. I will be sad to see him go but will be happy for the life he has in front of him after basketball.

Ice009
05-15-2015, 11:16 PM
If I was Manu, I'd come back and go full throttle and whatever happens, happens.

As long as the team doesn't have to rely on him to be a top 3 player - they really should have looked to get someone that can create and get to the rack last off-season to take the pressure off of him. If they can get someone to do that and Manu doesn't have to be relied upon as much as he does, then there is no reason why he can't come back and go full throttle in 15 - 20 minutes a night max. The key is not making him have to carry the team or the bench unit, but have him as an extra. If he gets hurt, he gets hurt, but really the Spurs shouldn't be putting this kind on load on Tim and Manu. They shouldn't have to still be carrying the team at their current ages.

ElNono
05-15-2015, 11:25 PM
Pop already told him he wants him back (Tim too). So it's up to Manu to decide. For all the talk about a supposed "awful" season, he was 1 of 8 total Spurs players that posted an above average production last season.

What's real is that it's extremely difficult for him at this age to elevate his game from above average to difference maker, something the Spurs relied on for a long time.

Capt Bringdown
05-15-2015, 11:51 PM
Shorter answer: he sucks

Ice009
05-16-2015, 12:22 AM
Pop already told him he wants him back (Tim too). So it's up to Manu to decide. For all the talk about a supposed "awful" season, he was 1 of 8 total Spurs players that posted an above average production last season.

What's real is that it's extremely difficult for him at this age to elevate his game from above average to difference maker, something the Spurs relied on for a long time.

I just think that he can still play full throttle in limited minutes if he doesn't have to be worried about being injured and letting the team down. He really should be an extra at his current age and not have to be relied upon. The problem is the Spurs haven't brought anyone in that can do most or even some of the things he can do. They really need someone that can create for themselves/others and drive to the rim. That would take a lot of pressure off of him and I think it would enable him to play freer.

admiralsnackbar
05-16-2015, 12:42 AM
If the expectation is that Manu can come back and be even a shadow of his prime years, then he should retire. But if he, the coaching staff, and the fan-base can accept him in a purely supportive role off the bench as a play-maker, I think that would be awesome. His body can no longer execute what his brain wants it to, but his court-vision, competitiveness, passing ability, and BBIQ haven't changed. Patty is an amazing scorer and a scrappy (if often ineffective) defender, and CJ is a above average defender with dubious offensive abilities, but neither are point-guards in the sense that they can make plays for the team on the fly. Manu can do that, and if we could get him on a bargain basement contract, he'd be better than anyone we could possibly draft, sign, or trade for -- ESPECIALLY because our worth-while free agents are going to be tough to keep as is.

ElNono
05-16-2015, 12:51 AM
I just think that he can still play full throttle in limited minutes if he doesn't have to be worried about being injured and letting the team down. He really should be an extra at his current age and not have to be relied upon. The problem is the Spurs haven't brought anyone in that can do most or even some of the things he can do. They really need someone that can create for themselves/others and drive to the rim. That would take a lot of pressure off of him and I think it would enable him to play freer.

I think that's a big part of the decision. There's no way he can play worry-free. He might be old, but he's a competitor, it's hard when you can't go to that next gear whenever you want. I'm sure he wouldn't be looking for a prominent role, but when you're such a fierce competitor and hate to lose, it's gotta be difficult. Objectively, he's amazing at 37-38 years old, production wise, in his limited minutes. He's always been about team first, but this decision is strictly about him.

DMC
05-16-2015, 01:26 AM
I don't know, players often have to be released or just not resigned. Guys will sit the bench for 3 million a year. All the talk about not needing the money is fine, but pragmatic guys like the Spurs attract seem to put money ahead of ego. That's why people like Sean, David and George Gervin still mooch off the team, they all have money and none of them work much.

DMC
05-16-2015, 01:28 AM
I think that's a big part of the decision. There's no way he can play worry-free. He might be old, but he's a competitor, it's hard when you can't go to that next gear whenever you want. I'm sure he wouldn't be looking for a prominent role, but when you're such a fierce competitor and hate to lose, it's gotta be difficult. Objectively, he's amazing at 37-38 years old, production wise, in his limited minutes. He's always been about team first, but this decision is strictly about him.

What's difficult is trying to raise a family on a single income when that income is entry level. Not being able to dunk a basketball isn't difficult. Making 3 million to take front row seats at every ball game isn't difficult. He might retire, but not because it's too difficult. It would be because he doesn't need the money.

ElNono
05-16-2015, 03:54 AM
What's difficult is trying to raise a family on a single income when that income is entry level. Not being able to dunk a basketball isn't difficult. Making 3 million to take front row seats at every ball game isn't difficult. He might retire, but not because it's too difficult. It would be because he doesn't need the money.

Ridiculous. People tend to the problems at hand. We can certainly agree that some people have first world problems, and some other people have different problems. That doesn't make decisions any less difficult within their reality.

therealtruth
05-16-2015, 05:53 AM
His good Ginobili isn't good enough to make up for his bad Ginobili.

BillMc
05-16-2015, 08:11 AM
Paul Pierce is now considering retiring as is KG. And of course TD is pondering his future. Kobe should be thinkin' too.

This year or next, a lot of legends will be gone.

Old School 44
05-16-2015, 08:49 AM
I love Manu and I do hope he comes back for one more year. Obviously his game has declined, the crazy passes just aren't delivered as crisply or as confidently as they were in the past. BUT as crazy as this sounds, the state of Manu's game can be summed up at the free throw line. The confidence level Manu played with is missing from what use to be an almost automatic task.

Russ
05-16-2015, 10:10 AM
The whole Argentine national team debacle took a lot out of Manu last summer.

He needs to decompress and relax this summer. Then come back one more year.

And he needs to announce before the season that it will be his last. Otherwise it's like he's sneaking off into the night.

Don't go that way, Manu. You deserve a better farewell.

DDUBB1770
05-16-2015, 10:33 AM
He needs to do the right thing and retire... Team needs cap space and roster spot to move on.

Russo21
05-16-2015, 10:47 AM
I for one hope Manu will be back for another year. Back when Manu was in his prime Pop sent him to the bench to be the Catalyst and the go to man in the second unit. He's too old for that shit now. Maybe It would be better to change the rotation and have Manu start for his final year? Other teams defences will have their eyes on our main starters. Manu could be the forgotten man for the defending team and go on a roll. The whole bench catalyst thing for Manu ended years ago when his body was shutting down. He can't lead the bench as well and for as long as he used to. Put him in the starting line-up next to the big boys for limited minutes and see how he goes. He'd be the last option for the defence to rely on which will open up his game.

Duncan
Aldridge
Leonard
Old man Manu
Joseph/Mills

Splitter
Diaw
Green
Bellinelli
Parker/Mills

Depending what we do in the draft, free agency, trades and all. Put Parker in Manu's old role as Catalyst off the bench and he may get his mojo back going against the opposing teams bench point guards and go on a tear. With Manu in the starting lineup he has no pressure to do awesome stuff. Just shoot the ball well and not turn the damn ball over and it's all good. Good starting lineup, good bench. Who knows who Is coming back for one last ride or who'll be gone though.

cd98
05-16-2015, 10:53 AM
The thing about Manu is that every game he would do one thing that nobody else did. One moment where you thought to yourself: "how did he do that?" It became less so as he's gotten older but he is still capable of having those moments every so often. I hope he sits until December, comes back, and leaves us with just a few more of those moments before he is gone. There won't be another player like him for 20 years.

BillMc
05-16-2015, 10:53 AM
If he does retire, I'd love to see him still around the team in some capacity. I wonder if he'd be willing to be an assistant coach so we can continue to have his leadership, albeit from the bench? Probably a long shot, as everyone seems to think he'll go back to Argentina when he's done playing.

baseline bum
05-16-2015, 11:08 AM
I don't know, players often have to be released or just not resigned. Guys will sit the bench for 3 million a year. All the talk about not needing the money is fine, but pragmatic guys like the Spurs attract seem to put money ahead of ego. That's why people like Sean, David and George Gervin still mooch off the team, they all have money and none of them work much.

Robinson mooches off the team? He's an owner.

glen907
05-17-2015, 04:58 AM
Manu should retire, dude is more of a liability than an asset at this point. He is a turnover machine that can't guard his position, time for the team to move on.

DJR210
05-17-2015, 06:18 AM
Manu should retire, dude is more of a liability than an asset at this point. He is a turnover machine that can't guard his position, time for the team to move on.

Sad to say, but true.

Das Texan
05-17-2015, 09:08 AM
I still find it hilarious that ESPN pays people to regurgutate what others have already written time and again.

exstatic
05-17-2015, 09:15 AM
As much as he's given to this team, and the fact that he's ALWAYS given them a discount, I'll be OK with a last year that is less than stellar. Manu should go out on whatever terms he wants. He's earned that.

benfti
05-17-2015, 09:48 AM
As much as he's given to this team, and the fact that he's ALWAYS given them a discount, I'll be OK with a last year that is less than stellar. Manu should go out on whatever terms he wants. He's earned that.spot on

AFBlue
05-17-2015, 10:37 AM
As much as he's given to this team, and the fact that he's ALWAYS given them a discount, I'll be OK with a last year that is less than stellar. Manu should go out on whatever terms he wants. He's earned that.

He got a max extension at one point and was making over $14M when he was a key factor in 6. Whether he deserves a deal now or not, it's incorrect to say he's always taken a discount.

kaji157
05-17-2015, 05:25 PM
We will know in exactly 20 days.

exstatic
05-17-2015, 06:26 PM
He got a max extension at one point and was making over $14M when he was a key factor in 6. Whether he deserves a deal now or not, it's incorrect to say he's always taken a discount.

He got the maximum that HE could earn based on his previous contract (discounted), not league max. Think of it as two discounts in a row, based on the first deal.

Neither Ginobili or Parker have ever earned league max for their years in the NBA.

exstatic
05-17-2015, 06:28 PM
We will know in exactly 20 days.

I don't think there's a stopwatch on this.

bigzak25
05-17-2015, 06:39 PM
C'mon Manu, one more year!

ceperez
05-17-2015, 08:06 PM
If Manu leaves, then we only got one play maker left in the team....

Boris Diaw.

Drom John
05-18-2015, 08:42 AM
In the 2014-2015 Manu Ginobili was 15th for SG in Real Plus Minus WAR. Per minute Manu was 8th. (Danny Green was 4th in both.)

Pocho La Pantera
05-18-2015, 04:19 PM
In the 2014-2015 Manu Ginobili was 15th for SG in Real Plus Minus WAR. Per minute Manu was 8th. (Danny Green was 4th in both.)
So he wasn´t that awfull for a 37 year old SG.