PDA

View Full Version : Spurs: VanGundy indicts Pop on charges of Chickenshit + Bait & Switch...

Thread
05-16-2015, 02:17 PM
The Noon-2PM local feed for ESPN (ArizonaSports 98.7 FM) (Bickley & Marotta) interviewed Jeff Van Gundy yesterday afternoon. It was a gem as JVG unloaded on Pop in particular & the NBA in general over the issues of "Hack-a-Shaq" & resting players.

Take a listen:::

http://arizonasports.com/?nid=243&auto=1&aid=312433

Spur-Addict
05-16-2015, 02:48 PM
(3:19) "And listen, coaches should use whatever strategy that's within the rules. This has nothing to do with what the coaches do. This has to deal with the leaders of our game saying that this is OK".

So no, he did not "Unload" on Pop in that regard.

As far as resting players is concerned, he's basically saying as a league they should forgo the long term gratification of the fan for the short term gratification of the fan. JVG cares not for product preservation, and in that regard he will have a staunch opposition.

In his "Broadway" analogy, he should've paired it with the fact that the actors would be around Betty Whites age (93), with an 82 show schedule that is home and away. If you're saying you'd rather run Betty White into the ground and lose a legend that would be better at a limited capacity than not at all, then LOL to you.

Also, Duncan played 77 games this year, and 74 last year :lol

Thread
05-16-2015, 02:52 PM
^Fine, Addy, I admit I did take some liberties with the particulars, but, Pop is still more than a (head coach) with the Spurs and the NBA. He's a trend setter. He sets trends.

Spur-Addict
05-16-2015, 03:08 PM
In the coach capacity he is still absolved. It takes a village Thread, a village. Although he has resigned to the previous duties he once had, I'll concede to his influence within the organization being mightily. There are 30 teams in the NBA, he is of one title, formal, and of one title non formal for each capacity. Surely he does not shoulder the weight of so many. If the league as a whole felt that these are such egregious issues, would not there be a massive uproar? Yet there is not at this particular time, and there is not within the upper tier elite ranks of management at this point. Not even your Lakers from what I've seen have made even the smallest peep. And they are lauded for their innovation and individuality within our beloved sport.

Thread
05-16-2015, 03:21 PM
In the coach capacity he is still absolved. It takes a village Thread, a village. Although he has resigned to the previous duties he once had, I'll concede to his influence within the organization being mightily. There are 30 teams in the NBA, he is of one title, formal, and of one title non formal for each capacity. Surely he does not shoulder the weight of so many. If the league as a whole felt that these are such egregious issues, would not there be a massive uproar? Yet there is not at this particular time, and there is not within the upper tier elite ranks of management at this point. Not even your Lakers from what I've seen have made even the smallest peep. And they are lauded for their innovation and individuality within our beloved sport.

That was before they changed the CBA. We no longer have the vitality, nor the arranged nature. We've been innovated right into the shitter, our individuality taken from us.

Spur-Addict
05-16-2015, 03:32 PM
That was before they changed the CBA. We no longer have the vitality, nor the arranged nature. We've been innovated right into the shitter, our individuality taken from us.

That's neither here nor there. They can still stand on the Mountain top and proclaim the wrongs of the league which apply to us all. Would Dr. Buss have spoken on such a matter, or on any matter of perceived importance?

Thread
05-16-2015, 03:37 PM
That's neither here nor there. They can still stand on the Mountain top and proclaim the wrongs of the league which apply to us all. Would Dr. Buss have spoken on such a matter, or on any matter of perceived importance?

We're too busy shellacking building size posters up begging players to come or to stay.

Spur-Addict
05-16-2015, 03:46 PM
We're too busy shellacking building size posters up begging players to come or to stay.

Among other things, but yes that certainly would be a matter of concern and disappointment.

Ditty
05-16-2015, 03:56 PM
Only pussies and assholes complain about hacking and resting players

elmanutres
05-16-2015, 04:32 PM
(3:19) "And listen, coaches should use whatever strategy that's within the rules. This has nothing to do with what the coaches do. This has to deal with the leaders of our game saying that this is OK".

So no, he did not "Unload" on Pop in that regard.

As far as resting players is concerned, he's basically saying as a league they should forgo the long term gratification of the fan for the short term gratification of the fan. JVG cares not for product preservation, and in that regard he will have a staunch opposition.

In his "Broadway" analogy, he should've paired it with the fact that the actors would be around Betty Whites age (93), with an 82 show schedule that is home and away. If you're saying you'd rather run Betty White into the ground and lose a legend that would be better at a limited capacity than not at all, then LOL to you.

Also, Duncan played 77 games this year, and 74 last year :lol

^Fine, Addy, I admit I did take some liberties with the particulars, but, Pop is still more than a (head coach) with the Spurs and the NBA. He's a trend setter. He sets trends.

T̶h̶r̶e̶a̶d̶

Mugen
05-16-2015, 04:34 PM
Great thread, now go home and get your shinebox.

Thread
05-16-2015, 04:57 PM
Only pussies and assholes complain about hacking and resting players

I'm a trend setter.

I set trends.

FuzzyLumpkins
05-16-2015, 05:21 PM

Too quick admitting you were full of shit. Should have given him a few of your canned responses.

05-16-2015, 05:30 PM
Too quick admitting you were full of shit. Should have given him a few of your canned responses.

05-16-2015, 05:31 PM
HE raises a good point about Hack-a-shaq not being legal for 48 minutes. Either make it legal for the whole game, or not.

Thread
05-16-2015, 05:32 PM

I wasn't full of shit. Pop is more than a head coach for the Spurs and for the NBA. He's culpable here.

FuzzyLumpkins
05-16-2015, 05:34 PM
I wasn't full of shit. Pop is more than a head coach for the Spurs and for the NBA. He's culpable here.

:lol much better

HemisfairArena
05-16-2015, 08:26 PM
Pop likes to look down on the meek and past judgement,,,just like he bends the rules because he believes he is above them. Who the fuck benches Duncan at the end of game 6 in the Finals with a 5 point lead and 30 seconds to go to win a title unless you are just a raving ego lunatic who has fooled the plenty?

Blake
05-16-2015, 08:36 PM

Pop isn't a rule setter. He doesn't set rules.

Thread
05-16-2015, 09:43 PM
Pop isn't a rule setter. He doesn't set rules.

But, he sets trends and while he didn't set the newest wave of "Hack-a-Shaq" he has set the trend of bait & switch.

Sean Cagney
05-16-2015, 09:46 PM
HE raises a good point about Hack-a-shaq not being legal for 48 minutes. Either make it legal for the whole game, or not.

Agreed.

Thread
05-16-2015, 09:47 PM
Pop likes to look down on the meek and past judgement,,,just like he bends the rules because he believes he is above them. Who the fuck benches Duncan at the end of game 6 in the Finals with a 5 point lead and 30 seconds to go to win a title unless you are just a raving ego lunatic who has fooled the plenty?

God bless Hemi & his candor.

The NBA Title used to be enough for Pop. Now it's not. It's a human frailty, a fault. A bored-entitled white man playing with matches, running red lights, etc.

therealtruth
05-16-2015, 10:39 PM

Somebody who's never played basketball at the NBA level and understands players decide games, not coaches.

DMC
05-17-2015, 12:15 AM
You can't take liberties and then continue to beat the strawman. You misled, you admitted it so now move on. I listened to the entire broadcast, Jeff reiterated that he disagrees with the appearance of it, not with the use of it.

Dale, playing the Koolaid man card... desperate times.

DMC
05-17-2015, 12:16 AM

Pop fancies himself a chess master. He does things that gets him to the Finals, and he does things that has won 5 of them. He also does things that make absolutely no fucking sense, but so did Fischer and Kasparov, at times.