PDA

View Full Version : Beckett problem, question

mookie2001
09-08-2005, 07:12 PM
is anyone a collector?

i picked up a basketball Beckett for the first time in like 6 years yesterday, and they dont list anything but RCs before like 2002, in the 90's I figured one day Beckett would just be like a big phonebook because of all the new companies, sets and subsets out there
they dont even list general prices for stars, and semistars like they used to...
does anyone know where i can find some prices for stars, and subsets from the 90's?
is there like another Beckett or another guide?
ive had some pretty good stuff laying around for years and i want to know how much ive been paid off.

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-09-2005, 08:53 AM
You can go to beckett.com and search for players/cards one at a time. Time consuming, but free.

Or you can pay out their monthly fee and search for multiple cards at a time. They only print their "phone book" guide once a year.

Spurminator
09-09-2005, 08:56 AM
I've heard that it'll be four major companies with less inserts and more card production that will lower the prices of packs but also lower the value of the cards. It'll never be the same.

Good. Maybe baseball cards will be fun for kids again instead of a waste of money for adults with more income than sense.

mouse
09-09-2005, 09:11 AM
http://www.beckett.com/iforum/default.asp?board=News

check out Dr, Phil today, A frustrated wife puts her husbands sports collection on e bay, this man had like a storage full of sports memorabilia,

I would kill the bitch,

mookie2001
09-09-2005, 10:02 AM
thats true card companies are selling their good cards for $7 a pack, but a card can come out of the pack with an $800 value

mouse
09-09-2005, 11:31 AM
thats true card companies are selling their good cards for $7 a pack, but a card can come out of the pack with an $800 value

Those cards are 1 in 100 packs, by the time you find one? well you do the math.

your better off finding the 800 dollar card around 2 AM on e bay for 1.00 since many people forget to put a reserve on their items.

I found a kobe EX-2000 for 90.00 dollars and sold it for 400.00 the next day.

back when I was a collector.

mookie2001
09-09-2005, 12:26 PM
some really great new stuff, sigs on cards, game worn jerseys
thats crazy
although ive never gotten any of that shit
cards are way too much now
thats why i stopped collecting
but if i had like Tlong money, id buy cards all the time

mookie2001
09-09-2005, 12:36 PM
yeah beckett charges for online prices aggie
BOGUS!!
its like a fucking quest of the century to find this shit...

Horry For 3!
09-09-2005, 12:48 PM
I have some Becketts.

Suns Fan
09-09-2005, 12:57 PM
I have some Becketts.

they are only good for 30 days.

go to e bay and search for your card, sometimes the sellers post the BV of each card ,

Marklar MM
09-09-2005, 01:54 PM
Hehe. My mom wants to sell all my dad's stuff. He has whole collections of cards from the 60/70/80 era. Nolan Ryan rookie cards. He gets in trouble with the mummy, and still buys stuff.

mookie2001
09-09-2005, 01:59 PM
nolan ryan rookie card(s)!
mets w/tom seaver?
tell him to sell them and buy some BMWs

Spurminator
09-09-2005, 02:12 PM
The golden age.

http://www.astrosdaily.com/cards/1982T_Cruz_Jose.jpg

Marklar MM
09-09-2005, 02:16 PM
nolan ryan rookie card(s)!
mets w/tom seaver?
tell him to sell them and buy some BMWs

Nolan's rook card is going down in price I think. It use to be worth a couple thousand I think, but Beckett has them going for $225 now.

1968 Nolan Ryan/Jerry Koosman Rookie Stars
Bobby Orr rookie
All those guys rookie cards.
About 10 of the same Mark McGuire cards worth like $110 each.(like 5 years ago...probably dropped)

If you haven't found it yet, go to beckett.com , go to price guides, online guides, and use the search engine. Scratch that...that is dealer selling the cards.

Marklar MM
09-09-2005, 02:17 PM
http://www.beckett.com/images/itemimages/oldcardcollector/oldcardcollector44195685.JPG

mookie2001
09-09-2005, 02:19 PM
thats what i was saying beckett online charges

the ryan 67 i think with tom seaver is worth a shitload

Spurminator
09-09-2005, 02:44 PM
I think the day I got turned off of collecting cards was when I dropped $40 for a David Robinson rookie. The guy wouldn't give me the Beckett rate (lower 30's) because he said the value would increase. I was just a kid so I didn't know any better.

I think it's worth about $10 now.

mookie2001
09-09-2005, 02:48 PM
lol
its worth more than
unless youre talking about the hoops ROY one...

Spurminator
09-09-2005, 02:51 PM
It was this one...

http://spln.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/p879351reg.jpg

mookie2001
09-09-2005, 02:53 PM
yeah they made SO SO many hoops and skybox around 89-91 theyre worth nothing
the fleer robinson is the one with value

TDMVPDPOY
09-09-2005, 03:53 PM
Drobs and duncan cards have less value compared to other household name players, dunno why though, thats why i stop collecting cards. Duncan a backtoback mvp and his cards are lower value compared to guyz like kg/shaq n shit.

Cant_Be_Faded
09-09-2005, 04:07 PM
The cool thing about all collectible cards, sports and what not, is that if you go to the comic book store or whereever it is they sell cards, and the box of cards is unopened, theres a method for picking out certain packs in their original order to get the rare cards.

I think this may be partly urban legend, but it may be true. This one time i saw a guy ask the comic book guy to get the new box, and he bought all top 4 packs, then dug through and bought 2 more, and the 2 extra packs he bought from weird positions had hologram cards, he said it was his method

mouse
09-09-2005, 04:26 PM
If you are a collector, or want to start? I can tell you what I have learned over the years, Just post your questions in this topic. I started in 1995 and stopped in 2002. I had an AOL card collecting chat room that was 24/7 You could trade any card you wanted, it was like the stock market, everyone talking at once, It would move so fast you had to say

Press 000 If you need an Iverson Ex-2000

then you would see..

Joe Blow 000

Mr cards 000

Card Boy 000

Then you would just IM them and make a deal. I would have many Im's on at the same time. It would drive my girlfreind nuts.

at one time I had the 5th largest collection in San Antonio. And that included Heros and Fantasies. and American Sports at the Eisenhower flea market location, It got so bad my family could not walk in the house without having to avoid many boxes of cards coming in every day from UPS. it was like a rat maze to get to the kitchen.

Beckett was thinking about doing a small story on my collection, If you look in the front pages of the magazine they do small stories on different card collectors around the USA.
I think I had a disorder of some sort, I was thinking about medical treatment at one time. some of my favorite cards was the Manning SPX rookie/ Tim Duncan Ultra graded./Kobe ex-2000 graded/
Randy Moss Pulsares/ and a Kevin Garnet Finest refractor. PSA 9

I never was able to get a MJ rookie for some reason, Maybe beacuse at the time it was going for 4,500.00 dollars. I did come close to getting a MJ sticker card but the kid was lying about having the card and I spoke to his mother over the phone since I sent him a David Robinson game worn jersy with auto and my Moss Pulsares. I was nervous about getting ripped off.

I have a cool Peyton Manning Jersey/Ball card SPX winning Materials 2000 I saw one on E bay selling for 50 Bucks. I am not sure the BV , but its yours for a case of beer.

[email protected]

I have other card collecting stories, but I have to go check the mail to see if Toyota sent me anything.. brb............

thispego
09-09-2005, 05:21 PM
i have a shitload of baseball cards that are about to get tossed, i dont think there is anything worth more than the paper they are printed on