PDA

View Full Version : Gasol or Aldridge?

coachmac87
05-18-2015, 08:38 AM
Who would you prefer?? I'm torn on who I'd rather see in a Spurs uniform...

Aldridge Pros: Best offensive big in the league. 23pts per and can stretch the floor and is an underrated passer. Very good rebounder 10-11 per and has solid IQ.

Alrdidge Cons: Can't move. Has a very hard time moving his feet and sometimes running the court. Although he can rebound he isn't a good post defender. Settles too much on outside 2's and can be a black hole on offense.

Gasol Pros: Arguably the best passing big in the league. Underrated mobility for his size and a great low post defender. Extremely high IQ. Can shoot mid range.

Gasol Cons: Not consistent on offensive end of floor. Inconsistent rebounding numbers and not a great shot blocker being 7'1. Can't carry team on his back.

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-18-2015, 08:48 AM
Prob Gasol by a hair but neither is coming to the Spurs cause they won't have enough cap room with Duncan returning.

coachmac87
05-18-2015, 08:50 AM
Prob Gasol by a hair but neither is coming to the Spurs cause they won't have enough cap room with Duncan returning.

Neither may come..but cap space because Duncan coming back just isn't true..

coachmac87
05-18-2015, 08:52 AM
Getting a chance to play with Duncan is only reason Spurs have a shot on signing them.

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-18-2015, 08:52 AM
Neither may come..but cap space because Duncan coming back just isn't true..

Really? In what scenario will the Spurs open a max space with a returning Duncan?

coachmac87
05-18-2015, 09:17 AM
Really? In what scenario will the Spurs open a max space with a returning Duncan?

There are many ways it can happen...

1) Trading Splitter
2) Letting Green walk
3) Duncan takes less than you think
4) Spurs pay luxury tax for 1 year

Number 3 and 1 are the main reasons why..explain why it can't happen?

Mikeanaro
05-18-2015, 09:22 AM
Aldridge yes he has flaws but he is a nice scorer, Gasol is inconsistent you wont see him dropping 30 pts on a daily basis.

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-18-2015, 09:27 AM

1) Trading Splitter
2) Letting Green walk

Pretty much all of those have to happen PLUS renouncing all their free agents. So that means the team would get LMA or Gasol at the expense of having a depleted bench, relying on Manu much more than in recent years, and trusting Kyle with a big role already.

Uriel
05-18-2015, 09:30 AM
I'd much rather have Gasol, who would be a huge upgrade over Splitter at this point. But Aldridge is the more likely of the two to come here.

Raven
05-18-2015, 09:32 AM

1) Trading Splitter
2) Letting Green walk

why would 1 make any sense lol

coachmac87
05-18-2015, 09:39 AM
Pretty much all of those have to happen PLUS renouncing all their free agents. So that means the team would get LMA or Gasol at the expense of having a depleted bench, relying on Manu much more than in recent years, and trusting Kyle with a big role already.

Well have much do you have Manu and Duncan on the books? What if Manu retires?

coachmac87
05-18-2015, 09:39 AM

coachmac87
05-18-2015, 09:44 AM

Why doesn't it?

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-18-2015, 09:46 AM

Tim Duncan has a cap hold of $15 million, and in order to keep room for LMA/Gasol, he'll have to accept a minimum deal, which is a total insult to him. And if the Spurs still decide to try to go this route, they would hope that Manu doesn't retire because if he does then you have to scour through free agency for minimum contract level players to fill the void.

Spurs 4 The Win
05-18-2015, 09:48 AM
It will be Aldridge, he is already in San Antonio working out. So the choice is kind of moot :lol

coachmac87
05-18-2015, 10:07 AM
Tim Duncan has a cap hold of $15 million, and in order to keep room for LMA/Gasol, he'll have to accept a minimum deal, which is a total insult to him. And if the Spurs still decide to try to go this route, they would hope that Manu doesn't retire because if he does then you have to scour through free agency for minimum contract level players to fill the void.

Bill Simmons: “The Spurs will use a first-rounder to deal Splitter’s contract, talk Duncan into coming back, sign LaMarcus Aldridge and extend Kawhi.

You didn't answer my question though. How much do you have Duncan and Manu on the books for?

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-18-2015, 10:08 AM

1) Trading Splitter
2) Letting Green walk

As mentioned 1, 2 AND 3 have to happen, also renouncing every other player except for Kawhi, including Manu. Essentially trading Green + Splitter + renouncing everyone else + giving Duncan much less than he deserves for Aldridge/Gasol would be a very questionable deal. In this scenario I'd look elsewhere to improve the roster.

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-18-2015, 10:09 AM
Bill Simmons: “The Spurs will use a first-rounder to deal Splitter’s contract, talk Duncan into coming back, sign LaMarcus Aldridge and extend Kawhi.

You didn't answer my question though. How much do you have Duncan and Manu on the books for?

Simmons is a blogger more than a reporter. He won't ever have the first scoop on something the Spurs do. Dealing Splitter plus a draft pick and getting nothing that hinders the cap this summer in return is extremely difficult. I think Duncan comes back for $7 million and Manu at $4 million.

coachmac87
05-18-2015, 10:15 AM
Simmons is a blogger more than a reporter. He won't ever have the first scoop on something the Spurs do. Dealing Splitter plus a draft pick and getting nothing that hinders the cap this summer in return is extremely difficult. I think Duncan comes back for $7 million and Manu at $4 million.

Then why is everybody linking the 2 to the Spurs with the intentions at least Duncan is coming back?

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-18-2015, 10:20 AM
Then why is everybody linking the 2 to the Spurs with the intentions at least Duncan is coming back?

Because it's technically possible, thus making it acceptable to write about. There are tons of stories every year that link players and teams that don't end up happening. Here's a story about the possibility you should read: http://www.poundingtherock.com/2015/5/8/8574309/heres-how-the-spurs-can-sign-lamarcus-aldridge-while-also-bringing

MaNu4Tres
05-18-2015, 10:44 AM

That's false.

Its fair and reasonable to assume Pop, RC, Tim, Leonard, and whoever else who intends on coming back, are all on the same page and same plan going into July 1st -- for the betterment of their team and for the future.

With that being said, if everything works according to plan, and if Tim signs the first day of Free Agency for significantly less than his cap hold of 15 million for say 5-7.5 million-- that 5- 7.5 million replaces his cap hold 15 million -- which adds more room to their cap space. At the same time, Spurs will have to give Leonard his word on the max deal and wait to sign him til after LeMarcus or Gasol sign (if one does decide to sign)-- so that his cap hold of 7.2 million is in place when LMA or Gasol sign.

It's hard to image a scenario where Duncan, Leonard and Green go into the offseason without knowledge of the Spurs plan or knowledge of what has to happen (timing wise) for Spurs to be able add another significant piece while retaining them three and Manu. Of course this is all if Duncan and Manu decide to come back.

It's also hard to imagine Leonard and Green working against the overall plan to maximize cap space for LeMarcus or Gasol -- considering how much they respect and trust R.C/Pop. If R.C/Pop give them their word prior to July 1, its hard to believe Leonard and Green saying fuck you and signing an offer sheet one of the first days of Free Agency.

There's a way it can be done for all four ( TD, Manu, DG, Leonard) w/ a LMA or Gasol to be on the team next year, but it all comes down to timing of the actual signings and if Spurs can trade away Splitter or Diaw and renouncing Cojo and Baynes ( which I don't mind if it means netting an Aldridge or Gasol).

Raven
05-18-2015, 10:55 AM
Why doesn't it?

because it doesn't solve anything

Uriel
05-18-2015, 10:56 AM
There's a way it can be done for all four ( TD, Manu, DG, Leonard) w/ a LMA or Gasol to be on the team next year, but it all comes down to timing of the actual signings and if Spurs can trade away Splitter or Diaw and renouncing Cojo and Baynes ( which I don't mind if it means netting an Aldridge or Gasol).
What is this way of which you speak?

According to this article (http://www.poundingtherock.com/2015/5/8/8574309/heres-how-the-spurs-can-sign-lamarcus-aldridge-while-also-bringing), even if TD and Manu sign for the minimum (a laughable assumption) and the Spurs renounce the rights to all their free agents (besides Leonard and Green), they would only open up $11.5M in cap space, which still falls far short of the max contract needed to sign the Gasols and Aldridges of the world.

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-18-2015, 11:00 AM

According to this article (http://www.poundingtherock.com/2015/5/8/8574309/heres-how-the-spurs-can-sign-lamarcus-aldridge-while-also-bringing), even if TD and Manu sign for the minimum (a laughable assumption) and the Spurs renounce the rights to all their free agents (besides Leonard and Green), they would only open up $11.5M in cap space, which still falls far short of the max contract needed to sign the Gasols and Aldridges of the world.

The assumption is Tim and Manu signing for the min + trading away Splitter and a 1st for nothing. This would give the Spurs enough room to sign a max FA. Of course it's highly unreasonable.

MaNu4Tres
05-18-2015, 11:01 AM

They need to trade Splitter or Diaw for it to happen. It was in the article and included in my previous post.

coachmac87
05-18-2015, 11:05 AM
because it doesn't solve anything

Look around you...

Uriel
They need to trade Splitter or Diaw for it to happen. It was in the article and included in my previous post.
But if Tim signs for $5M - $7.5M as you indicated in your post, then even if they trade away Splitter, Manu retires, and they renounce the rights to everyone (except Leonard and Green), they still wouldn't have enough cap space to offer a max contract, right?

sananspursfan21
Gasoldridge :)

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-18-2015, 11:10 AM

Trading Splitter and their first rounder and signing Duncan to the minimum makes just enough space to sign a max player, so how does a Duncan deal for $5-7.5 million work out?

szkorhetz
05-18-2015, 11:40 AM
Duncan wants to win. He know he have to accept a cut, so why would be it an insult? He has enough money for 500 years.

Spurs 4 The Win
05-18-2015, 11:41 AM
Green and Splitter are gone, you dont perform in the playoffs, you get cut, we are getting Aldridge, time to start thinking about Green's replacement

ElNono
05-18-2015, 11:45 AM
Rather have Tim, Manu, Tiago and Danny...

Ditty
05-18-2015, 11:51 AM
I would okay trading Splitter if we got Gasol, not so much if we get Aldridge. Gasol's play in the conference semifinals was very concerning though, but I don't believe the hype that he really wants to stay in Memphis. Still think Aldridge will be ours if we want him tbh.

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-18-2015, 12:05 PM
Duncan wants to win. He know he have to accept a cut, so why would be it an insult? He has enough money for 500 years.

"Hey Tim, we know that you were the best player this year, but how about you sign for the same amount as Bonner?"

look_at_g_shred
05-18-2015, 12:12 PM
Of course the Spurs want Aldridge and Gasol, it's about them wanting us.

Malik Hairston
05-18-2015, 12:19 PM
Green and Splitter are gone, you dont perform in the playoffs, you get cut, we are getting Aldridge, time to start thinking about Green's replacement

I guess you don't want Aldridge and Gasol, based on that logic, since Aldridge was pathetic in the playoffs and Gasol was underwhelming:lol..

look_at_g_shred
05-18-2015, 12:21 PM
I guess you don't want Aldridge and Gasol, based on that logic, since Aldridge was pathetic in the playoffs and Gasol was underwhelming:lol..
Aldridge was not pathetic in the playoffs :lol his help or lack thereof was

gambit1990
05-18-2015, 12:28 PM
i would be ecstatic with either. we've never added a player of their caliber via free agency or trade since pop has been coach.

i'd give up splitter & parker for gasol/aldridge & green.

coachmac87
05-18-2015, 12:35 PM

Who'd you prefer tho?

Obstructed_View
05-18-2015, 12:55 PM
I'd be shocked and pleasantly surprised if the Spurs could even get a serious shot at either.

Malik Hairston
05-18-2015, 01:03 PM
Who'd you prefer tho?

I'd probably prefer Aldridge, but I'm fine with either..I don't believe the Spurs are still a contender, though, in all honesty..

coachmac87
05-18-2015, 01:15 PM
I'd probably prefer Aldridge, but I'm fine with either..I don't believe the Spurs are still a contender, though, in all honesty..

Why don't you think the Spurs are legit contenders?? I feel the league is more watered down than ever..What teams in the West going into next year are clear cut favorites over Spurs?

cjw
05-18-2015, 02:32 PM

Playing time? Not enough minutes to go to four bigs.

And to those who say it would take renouncing "all free agents" - team still has a core of Parker/Mills/Leonard/Diaw to pair with Aldridge/Gasol plus Duncan and perhaps Green/Manu. They've struck gold before on guys floating around willing to sign for the vet's minimum and may be looking to bring over someone from Europe. They will never let the bench deteriorate to LAC-like levels.

Ditty
05-18-2015, 02:35 PM
Why don't you think the Spurs are legit contenders?? I feel the league is more watered down than ever..What teams in the West going into next year are clear cut favorites over Spurs?

because Harlem doesn't think Parker is a championship level starting point guard anymore...which I kind of have to agree.

DPG21920
05-18-2015, 02:43 PM
Even w/ Parker playing as bad as you could possibly imagine, Spurs were still contenders. If Tiago was healthy and DG/Kawhi play a little better Spurs move past LAC and very likely beat HOU (IMVHO).

If the Spurs add another piece while brining the majority of guys back (especially Kawhi/Danny/Tim -and keeping Tiago) they can be right back in the mix. If Kawhi takes a step forward (not a huge if), if TP regains any form (a big question, but not unreasonable to assume he will play better somewhat) and Tiago can stay healthy (somewhat of an if) Spurs are one of the top teams.

If TP is your main reason as to why they aren't contenders, they were so close with him playing literally as bad as you could imagine. That means they aren't far off.

DPG21920
05-18-2015, 02:45 PM
Again, if the reports starting to trickle out are true (Tim/Manu both returning), Spurs are not going to have a lot of cap space unless those two do something so unexpected like taking less than 8M combined. Even then, Spurs will have to trade Boris or Tiago and/or Patty with them to open up room for a big free agent. The first dominoes to fall are Tim/Manu though.

Mr Fundamental
05-18-2015, 03:12 PM
Marc.

2-way player with high basketball IQ.

He understands the game better than LaMarcus.

Perfect fit with Spurs.

BatManu20
05-18-2015, 03:14 PM
:lol Spurfan acting like we can just pick one. We'd be incredibly lucky to have either. Odds are neither are coming here.

yavozerb
05-18-2015, 03:31 PM
Spurs well end up with neither player. A player like Seraphin is a more likely condidate this summer..

spurraider21
05-18-2015, 03:36 PM
:lol Spurfan acting like we can just pick one. We'd be incredibly lucky to have either. Odds are neither are coming here.
this. i'd be thrilled with either. but depending on which one happens, my opinion on which to keep (boris or splitter) would change. if we picked up marc, i'd let splitter go. if we picked up LMA, i'd let boris go

TheGreatYacht
05-18-2015, 03:37 PM
Aldridge

TheGreatYacht
05-18-2015, 03:37 PM

Cklbmk
05-18-2015, 04:02 PM
I mean we really should be shopping Diaw instead of Splitter.

Duncan-Splitter works
Aldridge-Duncan works
Aldridge-Splitter works

Aldridge-Diaw doesn't work as more than a spot match.

Aldridge, Duncan, Splitter can fill all of the main minutes with a few min backups.

Keeping Diaw means we still need a rotation center.

Leonard is going to get most of the 3 minutes. That leaves Diaw to what? Spot minutes at the 3?

Seems more logical to give Kyle Anderson the backup minutes and shed Diaw.

spurs10
05-18-2015, 04:02 PM
I will be shocked if either come here as I believe Tim and Manu are coming back. Can't see a scenario without losing too many vital parts.

sexinthatsx
05-18-2015, 04:47 PM
All posters who are saying that players will be more inclined to coming for a chance to play with Tim Duncan if he returns: remember Pau Gasol was in negotiation talks with Spurs for MLE last year, and one of the main reasons he didn't want Spurs is because he didn't want to come off the bench and play second fiddle to Duncan. So the response is no, a player will not be more likely to come just because Duncan is returning - they might just want all the playing time to themselves.

Diego20
05-18-2015, 04:49 PM
Aldridge.

look_at_g_shred
05-18-2015, 04:51 PM
All posters who are saying that players will be more inclined to coming for a chance to play with Tim Duncan if he returns: remember Pau Gasol was in negotiation talks with Spurs for MLE last year, and one of the main reasons he didn't want Spurs is because he didn't want to come off the bench and play second fiddle to Duncan. So the response is no, a player will not be more likely to come just because Duncan is returning - they might just want all the playing time to themselves.
Either would start. Because to get either we'd need to get rid of splitter.

look_at_g_shred
05-18-2015, 04:53 PM
I mean we really should be shopping Diaw instead of Splitter.

Duncan-Splitter works
Aldridge-Duncan works
Aldridge-Splitter works

Aldridge-Diaw doesn't work as more than a spot match.

Aldridge, Duncan, Splitter can fill all of the main minutes with a few min backups.

Keeping Diaw means we still need a rotation center.

Leonard is going to get most of the 3 minutes. That leaves Diaw to what? Spot minutes at the 3?

Seems more logical to give Kyle Anderson the backup minutes and shed Diaw.
i'm not ok with giving Diaw up. The guy is a matchup nightmare for a lot of teams. Not to mention his playmaking ability. A player like him is hard to come by...and I can't think of a similar player in the league right now who we can replace him with that skillset.

look_at_g_shred
05-18-2015, 04:56 PM
Honestly, I don't remember a rumor so strong and persistent about an free agent all star potentially becoming a spur. If it was any other player, I probably wouldn't read much in to it, but in Aldridge's case, he's from Texas and his son lives in SA. There are variables there to make me believe he might be in a spurs uni next season. In the end though, money always talks so we'll see.

sexinthatsx
05-18-2015, 04:58 PM
Either would start. Because to get either we'd need to get rid of splitter.

Lets be honest, which NBA team would take Splitter the way he's playing now? Additionally, because Marc and Aldridge are both Free Agents, Splitter would have to be a sign and trade, making trading him even more unlikely unless Spurs get Portland or Grizzlies to take another play off from them.

Not going to lie though, it'd be a pipe dream to be able to grab Lamarcus Aldridge and Nicolas Batum to join, or Marc Gasol and Tony Allen.

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-18-2015, 05:02 PM

He actually didn't join because there was no promise of how much longer Duncan or Pop stays, and didn't want to risk being in the middle of a rebuild after a year or two.

TD 21
05-18-2015, 05:52 PM
Who would you prefer?? I'm torn on who I'd rather see in a Spurs uniform...

Aldridge Pros: Best offensive big in the league. 23pts per and can stretch the floor and is an underrated passer. Very good rebounder 10-11 per and has solid IQ.

Alrdidge Cons: Can't move. Has a very hard time moving his feet and sometimes running the court. Although he can rebound he isn't a good post defender. Settles too much on outside 2's and can be a black hole on offense.

Gasol Pros: Arguably the best passing big in the league. Underrated mobility for his size and a great low post defender. Extremely high IQ. Can shoot mid range.

Gasol Cons: Not consistent on offensive end of floor. Inconsistent rebounding numbers and not a great shot blocker being 7'1. Can't carry team on his back.

Terrible analysis.

Aldridge is not the best offensive big in the league, nor is he more than a solid rebounder. But he is mobile and nimble enough to effectively guard in space.

Gasol, despite the defensive reputation, has limited defensive range and though he's a capable mid range shooter, he lacks the depth of range, quickness of release and gravitational pull of Aldridge.

As far as the question, I'd rather Aldridge. He's not only a better positional fit, but is clearly more of a foundational offensive player, both in terms of mindset and performance, which this team desperately needs.

I love how Aldridge is regularly called soft, but Gasol isn't, because of some outdated description of his game and the fact that he's burly and has a beard. Yet he's a terrible rebounder and routinely shies away from imposing his will offensively. I don't care how good and versatile a defender Green is; he should have never have been able to effectively defend Gasol 1-on-1 in the post.

SpurPadre
05-18-2015, 06:41 PM

LMA pathetic in the playoffs? Dude played with a torn ligament in his shooting hand and still scored over 21 a game. He shot at a poor percentage but he was overcompensating for injured players aside from his own injury.

SpurPadre
05-18-2015, 06:47 PM
Gasol playing horribly against the Dubs in Rd. 2 wasn't just a bad stretch at the wrong time, he's struggled against the Dubs all year average only 14.3 PPG and 4.7 boards against them while LMA averaged 26.5 PPG with 9.5 boards on them. I don't have advanced numbers for comparison but I'd like to keep our dominance against the Dubs intact and therefore, I slightly lean in favor of LMA.

Agloco
05-18-2015, 07:03 PM

And who exactly do you have in mind?

Raven
05-18-2015, 07:21 PM
this. i'd be thrilled with either. but depending on which one happens, my opinion on which to keep (boris or splitter) would change. if we picked up marc, i'd let splitter go. if we picked up LMA, i'd let boris go

very short-sighted.

Big P
05-18-2015, 07:23 PM
If we could somehow land Wesley Matthews (LA's best friend) for the MLE, it might lessen the pain of losing DG, IF that's what it comes to. Not a ton of 3 & D guys out there that are available that I can think of.

z0sa
05-18-2015, 07:42 PM
LMA.

ceperez
05-18-2015, 08:04 PM
Gasol playing horribly against the Dubs in Rd. 2 wasn't just a bad stretch at the wrong time, he's struggled against the Dubs all year average only 14.3 PPG and 4.7 boards against them while LMA averaged 26.5 PPG with 9.5 boards on them. I don't have advanced numbers for comparison but I'd like to keep our dominance against the Dubs intact and therefore, I slightly lean in favor of LMA.

I saw the last game against the Warriors. Looked like Gasol checked out of the game really early. I also can't believe he can't dominate Green on offense.

cutewizard
05-18-2015, 08:09 PM
Tim Duncan should try to be an Assistant Playing Coach, accept a massive paycut, dont play too much in the regular season, and just show up in the playoffs where it matters.....

Will still be the leader of the team, and we can get valued free agents

win-win scenario

spurraider21
05-18-2015, 08:44 PM
very short-sighted.
:lol greg Monroe

rudwick
05-18-2015, 09:33 PM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&y1=2015&p1=aldrila01&y2=2015&p2=gasolma01&y3=2015&p3=splitti01&y4=2015&p4=jordade01&y5=2015&p5=monrogr01&y6=2015&p6=lopezro01#advanced::21

The stats say Gasol over Aldridge, but even better would be sign DeAndre and teach him to shoot free throws. They also show Monroe is not a bad option at 24 years old.

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-19-2015, 12:49 AM
Jordan and Monroe are the two worst fits on the Spurs imaginable :lol

G-Dawgg
05-19-2015, 01:58 AM
I like the thought of signing Aldridge.. Because when the offense is bogging down and multiple players are not hitting shots, or our playmakers are not playing well, he'd be able carry the load offensively against anybody or any team for stretches at a time..

jbspurs
05-19-2015, 02:13 AM
With Duncan, I will pick Gasol. Aldridge if Timmy retires.

Malik Hairston
05-19-2015, 02:14 AM
LMA pathetic in the playoffs? Dude played with a torn ligament in his shooting hand and still scored over 21 a game. He shot at a poor percentage but he was overcompensating for injured players aside from his own injury.

I'm not an Aldridge hater, I would take him on the Spurs, I just found it funny that the poster that said he doesn't want players that were letdowns in this year's playoffs, yet proceeded to mention Aldridge, the star big that had a historically bad 42.6 TS%(for a big) in this year's playoffs:lol..

ceperez
05-19-2015, 09:12 AM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&y1=2015&p1=aldrila01&y2=2015&p2=gasolma01&y3=2015&p3=splitti01&y4=2015&p4=jordade01&y5=2015&p5=monrogr01&y6=2015&p6=lopezro01#advanced::21

The stats say Gasol over Aldridge, but even better would be sign DeAndre and teach him to shoot free throws. They also show Monroe is not a bad option at 24 years old.

Monroe may actually be a good option given the DeAndre would likely get the max.

Spurs9
05-19-2015, 09:37 AM
I don't care much for Gasol tbh

look_at_g_shred
05-19-2015, 10:09 AM
I'm not an Aldridge hater, I would take him on the Spurs, I just found it funny that the poster that said he doesn't want players that were letdowns in this year's playoffs, yet proceeded to mention Aldridge, the star big that had a historically bad 42.6 TS%(for a big) in this year's playoffs:lol..
It's because they were using him like he was prime MJ :lol everytime down the floor you knew it was gonna be a chucked up 3 by Bat:lolum or being fed to Lamarcus. Meanwhile, Lillard running around like a scared pre-schooler :lol

CGD
05-19-2015, 11:03 AM
If there were a choice, it's Gasol. Whatever marginal gain on offense Aldridge provides over Gasol, Gasol makes up for with his far superior defense. Unlike Aldridge he can actually play with the slower Duncan and the Spurs would be fine on PnR defense. It would also take the sting out of having to trade Tiago, and allow the Spurs to use the MLE someone other than a Splitter replacement.

No brainier.

Embedded
05-19-2015, 11:04 AM
Aldridge, because of 1 intangible: He has roots here. He has a kid in San Antonio. Marc Gasol is a Memphite. He would mainly come here for money, I think.

RD2191
05-19-2015, 11:09 AM
Both are trash chokers. I'd rather the Spurs somehow try to move up in the draft and get a project big or pg with potential. Spurs don't need to break the bank for any more chokers.

td4mvp2k
05-19-2015, 11:17 AM
Aldridge is a bigger need

MultiTroll
05-19-2015, 11:17 AM
The stretch i saw in Game 3 vs the Warriors he was great on both ends.
Shit the bed the entire rest of the series.
Pass on Gasol.

Aldridge for one or two years sounds great.

Cklbmk
05-19-2015, 11:57 AM
i'm not ok with giving Diaw up. The guy is a matchup nightmare for a lot of teams. Not to mention his playmaking ability. A player like him is hard to come by...and I can't think of a similar player in the league right now who we can replace him with that skillset.

Kyle Anderson.

look_at_g_shred
05-19-2015, 12:03 PM
Kyle Anderson.
I love KA trust me, but the guy needs at least 2 years experience before the org. Puts their trust in him to run the team.

coachmac87
05-19-2015, 03:01 PM
The stretch i saw in Game 3 vs the Warriors he was great on both ends.
Shit the bed the entire rest of the series.
Pass on Gasol.

Aldridge for one or two years sounds great.

So you're willing to pass on an all nba player because you saw a bad stretch?? I remember when LeBron had a bad stretch in 2011. I remember when Kawhi had a bad stretch this postseason..but guess what? They're still damn good players and they make your team better. Just like Gasol

DPG21920
05-19-2015, 04:45 PM
As mentioned 1, 2 AND 3 have to happen, also renouncing every other player except for Kawhi, including Manu. Essentially trading Green + Splitter + renouncing everyone else + giving Duncan much less than he deserves for Aldridge/Gasol would be a very questionable deal. In this scenario I'd look elsewhere to improve the roster.

That's just not true. If you assume going into Free Agency the Spurs have TP/Kawhi/Danny/Tiago/Boris/Patty/Kyle counting for salary for cap purposes, you have 15M in cap space. Even it Tim takes 20M a year, spurs can be over the cap and still do a S&T. But assuming Spurs go the cap space route, Spurs need to get close to 20M in cap space.

Green walking and trading Tiago makes it easier to get there, but you can also trade Boris/Patty/Anderson/1st round pick. It's not necessary at all for all 4 of those thigns to happen.

If Tim takes 5M (which shouldn't be expected, but for sake of argument), Spurs have 10M in cap space and that's with Danny/Tiago on the roster. You trade Boris/Patty, Spurs are back to 20M in cap space.

DPG21920
05-19-2015, 05:04 PM
Basically, if Tim agrees to take 5M or less (which would only happen if he felt strongly the Spurs can land a guy he wants), Spurs are in fantastic shape to make something bigger happen.

Tim at 5M a year gives the Spurs Tim/TP/Kawhi/Danny/Tiago/Boris/Patty/Kyle and 10M of cap space. If you can trade Boris/Patty and get to 20M in cap space, does having Tim/TP/Tiago/Kawhi/Danny/Kyle +20M in cap space sound bad?

look_at_g_shred
05-19-2015, 06:31 PM
I just can't justify losing Patty, Boris, or both. If that's what it takes, then no. Don't go after either. LMA should understand that if he wants to win, sacrificing some money is needed. Otherwise, he's best just staying in Portland. A lot of superstars that get paid big bucks are quick to blame the organization and front office for not giving him help or surrounding him with players that will help win when they can't see that it's their payroll whose eating up the salary.

DPG21920
05-19-2015, 06:47 PM
Losing Boris & Patty for LMA or Gasol is a no brainer. Unless you think the gap between LMA/Gasol and Boris is smaller than Mills, there is no excuse not to do that.

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-20-2015, 12:33 AM
That's just not true. If you assume going into Free Agency the Spurs have TP/Kawhi/Danny/Tiago/Boris/Patty/Kyle counting for salary for cap purposes, you have 15M in cap space. Even it Tim takes 20M a year, spurs can be over the cap and still do a S&T. But assuming Spurs go the cap space route, Spurs need to get close to 20M in cap space.

Green walking and trading Tiago makes it easier to get there, but you can also trade Boris/Patty/Anderson/1st round pick. It's not necessary at all for all 4 of those thigns to happen.

If Tim takes 5M (which shouldn't be expected, but for sake of argument), Spurs have 10M in cap space and that's with Danny/Tiago on the roster. You trade Boris/Patty, Spurs are back to 20M in cap space.

I don't see how your scenario is different , other than suggesting a ridiculously low salary for Duncan. If the FO can talk him into this then more power to them, but I find it extremely unlikely. With Duncan making a more realistic 10-12M per and by renouncing Manu and every other FA apart from Danny and Kawhi the Spurs would stand at well over 60M when you add the roster holds and before trading anyone.

Whether you trade Splitter or Boris + Patty is semantics.

DMC
05-20-2015, 12:46 AM
Marc.

2-way player with high basketball IQ.

He understands the game better than LaMarcus.

Perfect fit with Spurs.
Notorious quitter and lacks that give a shit factor.