PDA

View Full Version : " Max" Free Agents this off-season

MaNu4Tres
05-18-2015, 03:56 PM
Just curious,

How many of the "max" free agents this summer end up taking 1 year deals in anticipation for the new 2.6 billion dollar deal with ESPN/TNT that kicks in for the 2016/17' season?

Estimate cap could soar close to 90 million.

Just sounds logical, from a financial standpoint, for most max guys that aren't worried about their health to wait for next summer, tbh.

Is it reasonable to think Alridge or Gasol could take a 1 year deal w/SA for 14/15 mil ( no state tax) with intentions on signing for the max with SA the following summer?

Thoughts?

Dverde
05-18-2015, 04:02 PM
More restricted ones will not sign extensions. More players will want opt outs.

ducks
05-18-2015, 04:19 PM
Jordan wants max

DPG21920
05-18-2015, 04:22 PM
I personally would be surprised if the big guys like Gasol/LMA/Jordan wait it out. There is a lot of risk and I don't think anyone of those guys will be upset at guaranteeing themselves 100M vs 120M if they wait.

I think the guys most likely to wait are the mid-tier guys. The difference in money to them with waiting is more of a big deal than a guy going from 100M to 120M IMO.

BatManu20
05-18-2015, 04:29 PM
Jordan wants max

He's going to get it from the Clips. Will be interesting to see if any other teams like Dallas offer it. I certainly wouldn't.

FlAVaK
05-18-2015, 04:34 PM
Misconception...

TD 21
05-18-2015, 05:58 PM
I could see Aldridge doing this (not for a penny less than the max for next season though), if he signs with the Spurs. Not only because he could make more next year, but because it would allow him to keep his options option.

Uriel
05-18-2015, 09:17 PM
That idea was already discussed in this thread (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248347&goto=newpost), and widely ridiculued (quite unfairly, I might add) by the SpursTalk community.

cjw
05-19-2015, 08:00 AM
If Duncan and Ginobili in fact retire (and that's a big if for Duncan), there's a chance the Spurs could decide to operate under the cap this year and still not make a flash signing and instead use the cap space to buy assets. They know they're almost certain not to compete for a title in that scenario.

The problem is, there simply aren't as many poorly run teams as there used to be in the East. Don't see them creating a monster team in the West.

More likely outcome if they have cap space is for them to spread it across several guys that they think can be key cogs on a team and hope that Kawhi can keep developing. Chance of Aldridge or Gasol is under 30%.

Raven
05-19-2015, 08:20 AM
i think only lebron can afford it

MaNu4Tres
06-25-2015, 10:01 AM
Back to this thread, think LMA signs a 1 +1 deal ( 2 yr deal w/player option for 2nd yr) and not a max 4 yr deal.. tbh

Richie
06-25-2015, 11:08 AM
I think very, very few will take a short deal over guaranteed money. Butler wants to but I think he's crazy personally, just look at Rose to see what can happen to a career in an instant. If he hadn't signed that 5 year max how much would he have since his knee injury? A quarter?

As for the Aldridge/Gasol, no chance they sign a 1+1. They'll sign a 2+1 which will give their team Early Bird rights (if they move teams) and let them opt out in 2017 when the cap is $107m and get a max deal. If they only go 1+1 their team will have to use cap space again.

cjw
06-26-2015, 07:06 PM
I think very, very few will take a short deal over guaranteed money. Butler wants to but I think he's crazy personally, just look at Rose to see what can happen to a career in an instant. If he hadn't signed that 5 year max how much would he have since his knee injury? A quarter?

As for the Aldridge/Gasol, no chance they sign a 1+1. They'll sign a 2+1 which will give their team Early Bird rights (if they move teams) and let them opt out in 2017 when the cap is $107m and get a max deal. If they only go 1+1 their team will have to use cap space again.

I know S&T limits annual raises to 4.5% to make it harder for players to force them on teams (vs. 7.5%), but couldn't they do 1+1 in a S&T and keep Bird Rights?