PDA

View Full Version : Grizzlies scared Marc Gasol might join Spurs

sexinthatsx
05-18-2015, 04:40 PM
Not sure if posted here yet, and not sure about the word power of the tweeters and write of the article. However, just merely seeing this gives me some hope and some giddiness to a rather disappointing basketball season!

http://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/memphis_grizzlies_fear_marc_gasol_will_sign_with_s an_antonio_spurs/18810494

BatManu20
05-18-2015, 04:41 PM
Posted in the free agency thread. Gasol's not going anywhere.

Trainwreck2100
05-18-2015, 05:06 PM
they couldn't convince his older, not as good brother, how they gonna sell him

SpurPadre
05-18-2015, 05:57 PM
Sam Amick is actually a good basketball source this time around. I'm not sure if I'd take him over LMA though.

FromWayDowntown
05-18-2015, 05:57 PM
they couldn't convince his older, not as good brother, how they gonna sell him

Maybe Pau has regrets and has confided in Marc that he wishes that he had made a different choice?

I don't think the Spurs will get Marc Gasol and I doubt they will get Lamarcus Aldridge. But I don't think that Pau's choice to chase more money with the Bulls directly suggests that Marc wouldn't consider coming to the Spurs.

Sean Cagney
05-18-2015, 07:15 PM

I agree with you. Nothing to see here.

sexinthatsx
05-18-2015, 07:16 PM
Sam Amick is actually a good basketball source this time around. I'm not sure if I'd take him over LMA though.

If Duncan is coming back and is still playing, Marc Gasol would be a way better fit than LMA. If Duncan retires, then LMA would be a better choice.

LakerHater
05-18-2015, 07:17 PM

Yeah, I dont think he'll leave either!

Seventyniner
05-18-2015, 07:22 PM
I'm not sure if I'd take him over LMA though.

But if Marc has serious interest, you go after him and let the rest of the chips fall where they may. He is way too good to spurn.

TheGreatYacht
05-18-2015, 07:27 PM
Bet it's Beno the one concerned he might come here :lol

SpurPadre
05-18-2015, 09:04 PM
But if Marc has serious interest, you go after him and let the rest of the chips fall where they may. He is way too good to spurn.

Agreed.

Lakers999
05-18-2015, 09:15 PM
Spurs should be scared that he might go to the lakers

james evans
05-18-2015, 11:50 PM
Spurs should be scared that he might go to the lakers
why? as long as they still have kobe for half a season, the lakers are not a threat

DPG21920
05-18-2015, 11:51 PM
lol thinking Marc would go to LA with Kobe there after how they treated Pau.

Stabula
05-19-2015, 12:07 AM
Only scrubs who can't get good contracts elsewhere go to LA

Silver&Black
05-19-2015, 01:13 AM
lol thinking Marc would go to LA with Kobe there after how they treated Pau.

:lmao

Biggems
05-19-2015, 01:21 AM
Maybe the Spurs should have drafted him instead if Ian Mahimni......I mean he was there for the taking, just prior to him busting out that summer for team Spain. And had we drafted him, then the Lakers could have never drafted him and used him as trade bait to get Pau.......

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-19-2015, 01:56 AM
Maybe the Spurs should have drafted him instead if Ian Mahimni......I mean he was there for the taking, just prior to him busting out that summer for team Spain. And had we drafted him, then the Lakers could have never drafted him and used him as trade bait to get Pau.......

Marcus Williams, not Mahinmi. Spurs got Tiago and Williams in Gasol's draft.

05-19-2015, 12:00 PM
If Duncan is coming back and is still playing, Marc Gasol would be a way better fit than LMA. If Duncan retires, then LMA would be a better choice.
I think you got that mixed up. LMA would be a better fit next to Duncan. He has a good range and Duncan can cover his defensive shortcomings and focus on playing in the paint. Marc Gasol on the other hand, is probably one of a few players in the NBA that can replace Duncan both on offense and defense. Pairing the two would result in an extremely immobile front court.

sexinthatsx
05-19-2015, 01:15 PM
I think you got that mixed up. LMA would be a better fit next to Duncan. He has a good range and Duncan can cover his defensive shortcomings and focus on playing in the paint. Marc Gasol on the other hand, is probably one of a few players in the NBA that can replace Duncan both on offense and defense. Pairing the two would result in an extremely immobile front court.

LMA is a natural PF, like Duncan. Gasol is a natural C. If Tim Duncan is still able to produce similar stats as he has shown this season, Gasol would be a better fit simply because of his superior passing ability. He doesn't need to keep posting up every game, but his passing and my trust in Chip England to turn his jump shot around can turn him into a triple threat. Additionally, Marc Gasol and Diaw can be a better pairing than LMA and Diaw.

cantthinkofanything
05-19-2015, 01:19 PM
LMA is a natural PF, like Duncan. Gasol is a natural C. If Tim Duncan is still able to produce similar stats as he has shown this season, Gasol would be a better fit simply because of his superior passing ability. He doesn't need to keep posting up every game, but his passing and my trust in Chip England to turn his jump shot around can turn him into a triple threat. Additionally, Marc Gasol and Diaw can be a better pairing than LMA and Diaw.

Gasol is the A version of Splitter. Puts them right at the top if Duncan stays. LMA helps but IMO does not catapult them to the top few teams in contention.

TD 21
05-19-2015, 05:38 PM

:lol It's incredible how many Spurs fans still think Duncan is a natural PF and don't realize that, with the way the game is played today and his limited mobility at this point, defensively he can't play next to true C's, like Gasol or Lopez, since none of them can defend PF's.

Seeing as how Duncan has defended C's almost exclusively since '06-'07, nothing would change defensively if he's paired with Aldridge. Offensively, since he nearly abandoned mid rangers last season, the only things that would change would be he'd role more and his usage would further decrease.

Malik Hairston
05-19-2015, 05:44 PM
Gasol/Duncan would be pretty awful defensively, especially if they lose Green, tbh..

DPG21920
05-19-2015, 05:47 PM
Gasol/Duncan would be pretty awful defensively, especially if they lose Green, tbh..

You think it would be worse than Zbo/Gasol? (assume they keep Danny and Kawhi).

pgardn
05-19-2015, 06:28 PM
He likes Memphis. His family is comfortable.

And I think he knows the Grizzlies don't have enough flexibility to ever win with their lineup.
He stays anyway. Life is good for him.

Malik Hairston
05-19-2015, 06:56 PM
You think it would be worse than Zbo/Gasol? (assume they keep Danny and Kawhi).

If they keep Green and Leonard, no, but the Grizz have the best PG/SG duo in the NBA, defensively, and they play in a defense-first system, which is why it works..the Z-Bo/Gasol duo does look pretty bad defensively when Allen is off the floor IIRC..

Duncan is obviously far better than Randolph on defense, but you're negating the strengths of either Duncan/Gasol by having 1 of them guarding the perimeter and defending mobility, which is a flaw for both players, especially Tim..

sexinthatsx
05-19-2015, 07:27 PM
If they keep Green and Leonard, no, but the Grizz have the best PG/SG duo in the NBA, defensively, and they play in a defense-first system, which is why it works..the Z-Bo/Gasol duo does look pretty bad defensively when Allen is off the floor IIRC..

Duncan is obviously far better than Randolph on defense, but you're negating the strengths of either Duncan/Gasol by having 1 of them guarding the perimeter and defending mobility, which is a flaw for both players, especially Tim..

But the TRUE question is... would LMA be that much better defensively and is it worth trading off for his offensive firepower?

sexinthatsx
05-19-2015, 07:32 PM
:lol It's incredible how many Spurs fans still think Duncan is a natural PF and don't realize that, with the way the game is played today and his limited mobility at this point, defensively he can't play next to true C's, like Gasol or Lopez, since none of them can defend PF's.

Seeing as how Duncan has defended C's almost exclusively since '06-'07, nothing would change defensively if he's paired with Aldridge. Offensively, since he nearly abandoned mid rangers last season, the only things that would change would be he'd role more and his usage would further decrease.

I mean I just assess how each player can not only fit with Duncan (since he won't be playing back to backs, and he will probably be playing even less minutes this upcoming season if he does play):

Gasol / Duncan; Gasol / Diaw; Gasol / Baynes

LMA / Duncan; LMA / Diaw; LMA / Baynes

DPG21920
05-19-2015, 07:38 PM

I agree the fit isn't perfect with Duncan/Gasol, but Duncan is so much better than Zbo defensively it's not even funny. While Allen/Conley are great, Kawhi and Danny are just as good. I think SA would still have a stout defense (with more pressure on DG/Kawhi), but they would be incredibly smart and disciplined while having some holes though.

Malik Hairston
05-19-2015, 07:38 PM
:lol I'd be happy if the Spurs got either Aldridge or Gasol, I don't care, tbh..I'll be surprised, regardless, though..

Biggems
05-19-2015, 09:48 PM
Marcus Williams, not Mahinmi. Spurs got Tiago and Williams in Gasol's draft.

yes you are correct......I always mix up Williams with Ian.....I don't know why, but I do.....ty for the correction......still, you get my point. We had our chance to draft him and we took a POS instead. BTW, I was hoping for Gasol in the worst way......we needed Bigs to help Timmy and I knew Splitter wasn't coming for a few years.

DMC
05-20-2015, 12:43 AM
Gasol is a quitter, gives up on shit too easily. I think that's a family trait. I don't particularly want him in SA.

I'd take a scrapper who will punch someone out over a fat momma's boy who has a good top of the key stroke.

sexinthatsx
05-20-2015, 01:41 AM
Gasol is a quitter, gives up on shit too easily. I think that's a family trait. I don't particularly want him in SA.

I'd take a scrapper who will punch someone out over a fat momma's boy who has a good top of the key stroke.

Sorry buddy, Kenyon Martin's retired lol

Agloco
05-20-2015, 08:53 AM

I don't understand this honestly. He's a much better defender than Aldridge, which is something the Spurs hang their hats on. Besides if Splitter needs to be moved, it's better to get a complimentary defensive piece to replace him. I can't imagine our post defense with Duncan, Baynes Diaw and Aldridge manning the paint.