PDA

View Full Version : Top 3 Free Agents Per Position That Could be had on the Cheap

keepinitwill
05-19-2015, 12:17 AM
Thoughts??

PG: Aaron Brooks, Ish Smith, and Jose Berea
SG: Gerald Green, Alexy Shved, and Gary Neal
SF: Demarre Carroll, Omar Casspi, Al-Farouq Aminu
PF: Brandon Bass, Amir Johnson, Thomas Robinson
C: Robin Lopez, Omer Asik, Kosta Koufos

Sean Cagney
05-19-2015, 12:20 AM
Aaron Brooks is pretty good, for cheap he would be a great backup here if CJ bolts. Gerald Green would not be bad as well.

Carroll will not be had on the cheap, expect him to get a good contract in ATL. Amir Johnson is one I look at and Bass as well, no doubt.

Robin Lopez no clue how much he will get but I would not mind him as well. Carroll is the only one on the list I think is not going to come cheap and he will stay in ATL imo.

Maj_G
05-19-2015, 12:23 AM
Kosta Koufos would be a huge upgrade over the Big Banger, and is not injury prone like Tiago.

keepinitwill
05-19-2015, 12:46 AM
Kosta Koufos would be a huge upgrade over the Big Banger, and is not injury prone like Tiago.

I like Kosta too. I think he could really shine given some consistent playing time. His per 36 min stats are 14.3 pts, 8.8 reb, 2 blks

palangi
05-19-2015, 01:02 AM
I would put Dorell Wright in there for SF

and what about Kevin Seraphin for PF/C

Emperor
05-19-2015, 01:12 AM
Carroll might ask for too much but Green would be awesome for a 6th man role.

palangi
05-19-2015, 01:34 AM
Jason smith wouldn't be bad either. A 7'er that can shoot and is a very good shot blocker

Spurs da champs
05-19-2015, 01:53 AM
I'm a fan of Thomas Robinson, he plays with great energy & reminds me a bit of Tristan Thompson. Spurs need an energy big.

Malik Hairston
05-19-2015, 02:17 AM
I can't even imagine Pop accepting to coach Gerald Green or Thomas Robinson, tbh..

Carroll is going to cost just as much as Danny, there's no way he will be had on the cheap..Aminu would be nice, but his solid playoff series probably raised his price..

Barea would be perfect, but the Spurs aren't signing a PG IMO..

I like Brandon Bass, I wouldn't have minded if the Spurs had acquired him at any point in the past 2 years..I've been a big fan of Amir for a while(I live in Toronto, go to a lot of games, too), but he's on the decline, physically, been battling nagging injuries for a little while..

horsielove
05-19-2015, 03:25 AM
I'm a fan of Thomas Robinson, he plays with great energy & reminds me a bit of Tristan Thompson. Spurs need an energy big.

Been a fan of TR since he was drafted by Kings tbh. He is a good player at his position and would be serviceable big coming from the bench. But he is dumb sometimes.

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-19-2015, 09:41 AM
Carroll has arguably been the Hawks' best player in the playoffs. He's not gonna be cheap at all. Neither will Koufos, but he'll make considerably less than Carroll and I'd make him a top target.

cd98
05-19-2015, 09:46 AM
For all the Parker haters, slim pickings on those free agent point guards. Nothing says championship point guard like Aaron Brooks or Ish Smith.

DJR210
05-19-2015, 09:47 AM
I seriously wouldn't doubt Amir Johnson playing here before it's said and done, even if that means him being 35 when he signs.

look_at_g_shred
05-19-2015, 10:03 AM
Man if we could sign Aminu and Lopez, that would definitely be a step up from last year's squad!! Lopez is a rebounding machine and Aminu would give us a nice perimeter defender off the bench, and a solid back-up to Kawhi.

kaji157
05-19-2015, 11:15 AM
Thoughts??

PG: Aaron Brooks, Ish Smith, and Jose Berea
SG: Gerald Green, Alexy Shved, and Gary Neal
SF: Demarre Carroll, Omar Casspi, Al-Farouq Aminu
PF: Brandon Bass, Amir Johnson, Thomas Robinson
C: Robin Lopez, Omer Asik, Kosta Koufos

Of the PGīs i donīt like anyone.

Iīd rather have Shved as a combo guard. Casspi as a SF replacement to play spark minutes and Asik as a cheap Splitter backup.
I donīt think Robin Lopez is good enough neither Koufos.
If we can get those 3 i really donīt think we need much more star power. But we will need to address the fact that no one here knows if Tony can be productive again, that is a big question mark, if he can be productive then the Spurs are quite set, if not replacements are needed.

cjw
05-19-2015, 12:54 PM
For all the Parker haters, slim pickings on those free agent point guards. Nothing says championship point guard like Aaron Brooks or Ish Smith.

Asik is not coming cheap (below MLE) nor is Carroll as many others have mentioned.

Give me Linsanity over either of those two PGs anyday if Manu were to retire. Gerald Green will never play here. Surprised op didn't put KJ McDaniels (another scrub) on that list, though I guess it's just UFAs.

Gary Neal would be fine as an end of bench guy, though don't want to see him touch the floor in the playoffs.

gambit1990
05-19-2015, 01:09 PM
shved.

Chinook
05-19-2015, 01:11 PM
I think Neal coming back is a pretty good bet. Wouldn't mind him in the Beli role if the Spurs didn't have a lot of money after acquiring to better top players. Wouldn't want to spend any of the MLE on him, though.

MaNu4Tres
05-19-2015, 01:16 PM
I think Neal coming back is a pretty good bet. Wouldn't mind him in the Beli role if the Spurs didn't have a lot of money after acquiring to better top players. Wouldn't want to spend any of the MLE on him, though.

If Spurs trade Mills to create more cap space, I can definitely see Spurs end up signing Neal. Both essentially played the same role and played off Manu off the bench.

Leetonidas
05-19-2015, 01:16 PM
Kofous and Shved

Amuseddaysleeper
05-19-2015, 02:50 PM
Would be a bummer if Mills isn't a Spur next year.

Andthentherewas21
05-19-2015, 02:53 PM
Of those listed, I wouldn't mind Amir Johnson or Aminu. After the way the Raps have hit the wall in consecutive playoffs I think they will be looking for changes so there is a chance that Amir doesn't go back. In a more limited role with the Spurs, I think he could thrive and the FO has shown interest in the past. Still think he might be a little out of the Spurs comfort zone as far as price range unless they move someone in the front court.

Aminu seems to come up every year, so I'll defer to all the pros and cons listed in the past threads. He could be useful especially if Dallas decides they don't really want to retain him and drive down his price a bit.

Sean Cagney
05-19-2015, 02:54 PM

I pass on Neal, horrible defender and a volume shooter who can't dribble or create his own shot. I like Beli alot more personally and he showed up in the playoffs bigtime, however I think he is gone.
If Spurs trade Mills to create more cap space, I can definitely see Spurs end up signing Neal. Both essentially played the same role and played off Manu off the bench.
Neal is a downgrade from Mills so I hope not.

Andthentherewas21
05-19-2015, 03:00 PM
Would be a bummer if Mills isn't a Spur next year.

Ya, I really don't understand the desire to trade him away. At 3 mil/per he is a great value. Instant offense and pesky defense. His biggest problems are his lack of facilitation and his physical limitations. But most of the replacements listed have the same issues and are far worse in other areas like shooting. Patty's attitude and energy alone are worth the potential savings that getting Barea or Neal on vet min. or 2mil year deals. Neal in particular baffles me given how poor his defense was, and how frustrated people on this board were with him, especially in the 2013 POs.

spurs10
05-19-2015, 03:19 PM
Patty will stay....I'm thinking.

dbestpro
05-19-2015, 03:24 PM
Sved is the type of player that could blossom as a Spur. I got a feeling that Danny Green will not be back, and that Pop will feel he can go back to the lab, and build another Danny Green at any time. He kind of did the same thing with Avery.

If we find we need another backup PG Jameer Nelson, and a blast from the past Beno Udrih are available. I think Lin is a guy who would be interesting because of his ability to play both PG and SG.

Malik Hairston
05-19-2015, 03:32 PM
Sved is the type of player that could blossom as a Spur. I got a feeling that Danny Green will not be back, and that Pop will feel he can go back to the lab, and build another Danny Green at any time. He kind of did the same thing with Avery.

True, it only took him 5-6 years to build a Danny Green following Bowen's decline:lol..

baseline bum
05-19-2015, 03:33 PM
True, it only took him 5-6 years to build a Danny Green following Bowen's decline:lol..

:lol

intlspurshk
05-19-2015, 04:20 PM
Brandon Wright can be considered as well

ceperez
05-19-2015, 04:29 PM
I like Kosta too. I think he could really shine given some consistent playing time. His per 36 min stats are 14.3 pts, 8.8 reb, 2 blks

I agree here too, could be cheap too if nobody else is looking.

ceperez
05-19-2015, 04:31 PM
I pass on Neal, horrible defender and a volume shooter who can't dribble or create his own shot. I like Beli alot more personally and he showed up in the playoffs bigtime, however I think he is gone.
Neal is a downgrade from Mills so I hope not.

Going to say this about Neal.... he had a couple of good playoff games. I can only recall Belinelli have one good one against the Clippers.

I will take either one though if the price is right.

ceperez
05-19-2015, 04:33 PM
Al-Farouq Aminu did well against the Rockets.

ceperez
05-19-2015, 04:41 PM
Other notable targets:

Mirza Teletovic
Alan Anderson
Mike Dunleavy
Iman Shumpert
Draymond Green
KJ McDaniels
Luis Scola
Khris Middleton
Arron Afflalo
Wes Matthews
Omri Casspi

TD 21
05-19-2015, 05:52 PM

I don't see it. I don't think Pop was ever a fan. They just desperately needed his skill set at the time they signed him and he was so ridiculously cheap that he was great value.

I fully expect them to bring in a wing shooter to replace Belinelli on the cheap, but I'm thinking Jenkins. Similar physical profile and considering who he was drafted by and plays for, you've got to think character wise he'd fit in, plus he knows the system.

Lerojo
05-19-2015, 06:27 PM
No Gary Neal!

Dude was a chucker and we already have Tony Parker to chuck bricks from the mid range.

Sean Cagney
05-19-2015, 06:27 PM
Going to say this about Neal.... he had a couple of good playoff games. I can only recall Belinelli have one good one against the Clippers.

I will take either one though if the price is right.

Belli hit a huge shot in last years finals that put the lead back up to 10 when the Heat were making a run to get back in it, remember that one as well? He had a hot shooting series against the Clippers, check out his % from three in most of those games he played. Neal had a few good playoff games yes, but he also had the one where he let Chalmers get up the floor and hit the three at the end of the third and Mike Miller with one shoe off hit a three on him without any pressure, for every good game there is crap like that he did.

I am not a big fan of Neals at all, he was a streak shooter and not much else, give me Patty or Beli any day over him. We had the Neal experiment here already, move forward IMO.
No Gary Neal!

Dude was a chucker and we already have Tony Parker to chuck bricks from the mid range.
I agree with you 100%, forget that crap we already had him. He has been bad since he left too.

outmap
05-19-2015, 08:13 PM
C - JaVale McGee, Robin Lopez, Jason Smith
PF - Emeka Okafor, Amir Johnson, Thomas Robinson
SF - Al-Farouq Aminu, Luc Richard Mbah a Moute, Jeremy Evans
SG - Rodney Stuckey, Alexy Shved, Jason Richardson
PG - Aaron Brooks, Jeremy Lin, Will Bynum

Seventyniner
05-19-2015, 08:40 PM
Belli hit a huge shot in last years finals that put the lead back up to 10 when the Heat were making a run to get back in it, remember that one as well? He had a hot shooting series against the Clippers, check out his % from three in most of those games he played. Neal had a few good playoff games yes, but he also had the one where he let Chalmers get up the floor and hit the three at the end of the third and Mike Miller with one shoe off hit a three on him without any pressure, for every good game there is crap like that he did.

I am not a big fan of Neals at all, he was a streak shooter and not much else, give me Patty or Beli any day over him. We had the Neal experiment here already, move forward IMO.

Beli > Neal, I don't think anyone disputes that. But Beli will be far more expensive, and if the Spurs really are trying to land a big name FA, that will matter quite a bit.

r0drig0lac
05-19-2015, 08:54 PM
McDaniels and Gerald Green (Aminu would be great, but after the playoffs your value increased)

Sean Cagney
05-19-2015, 09:40 PM
Beli > Neal, I don't think anyone disputes that. But Beli will be far more expensive, and if the Spurs really are trying to land a big name FA, that will matter quite a bit.

Correct, doubt they do land a big name because they never seem to land FA's besides good role players (Which is fine) but that is right.

cd021
05-19-2015, 09:58 PM
Brandon Wright as the backup center [Love to see a Mills-Manu-Beli-Diaw-Wright bench]

or Brandon Bass as the backup/starting PF

Aminu as a combo forward

keepinitwill
05-19-2015, 10:42 PM
I wouldn't mind getting Mo Williams. I know we are pretty full at the PG position, but I think we need a good passing PG. Even if Manu comes back, we can rely on him to run the offense when Parker is out.

cjw
05-20-2015, 09:43 AM
Other notable targets:

Mirza Teletovic
Alan Anderson
Mike Dunleavy
Iman Shumpert
Draymond Green
KJ McDaniels
Luis Scola
Khris Middleton
Arron Afflalo
Wes Matthews
Omri Casspi

Even if Draymond doesn't get the max, he'll get at least $12mm a year. Middleton will get over $9 million if not more.

Wes Matthews is coming off of major surgery and Teletovic had lung blood clots, so both could come at a more reasonable price tag than they otherwise would have if it's what the team wants.

quentin_compson
05-20-2015, 01:12 PM
Calling Omri Casspi "Omar" is kind of funny in a way.

Ice009
05-20-2015, 10:11 PM
Man if we could sign Aminu and Lopez, that would definitely be a step up from last year's squad!! Lopez is a rebounding machine and Aminu would give us a nice perimeter defender off the bench, and a solid back-up to Kawhi.

Where we all you guys last off-season when I kept saying that I wanted Aminu to backup Kawhi. No-one was hardly interested then. People around here only want players when they do good and prove themselves on another team, but then they are out of the Spurs' price range.

look_at_g_shred
05-20-2015, 10:15 PM
Where we all you guys last off-season when I kept saying that I wanted Aminu to backup Kawhi. No-one was hardly interested then. People around here only want players when they do good and prove themselves on another team, but then they are out of the Spurs' price range.
Fuck no! I've been wanting Aminu for years now! Ever since 2012.

Ice009
05-20-2015, 10:19 PM

I just can't get over Neal leaving a shoeless Mike Miller open and also his other defensive mistakes. I think he was also the one that was defending Mario Chalmers when he hit that 3 at the buzzer to end the 3rd quarter in game 7?

I did love his fearlessness shooting the ball though. Even though he took some bad shots out of the offense which would frustrate me a lot at times, I loved his fearlessness shooting the ball. That is something I am very big on. I don't like guys that are great shooters that can get scared to shoot the ball when the game is on the line or the pressure is high. You have less of a chance on making the shot if you're shooting it with fear. That wasn't really a problem with Neal.

Fuck no! I've been wanting Aminu for years now! Ever since 2012.

Props if you wanted him before last off-season then.

look_at_g_shred
05-20-2015, 10:31 PM
I just can't get over Neal leaving a shoeless Mike Miller open and also his other defensive mistakes. I think he was also the one that was defending Mario Chalmers when he hit that 3 at the buzzer to end the 3rd quarter in game 7?

I did love his fearlessness shooting the ball though. Even though he took some bad shots out of the offense which would frustrate me a lot at times, I loved his fearlessness shooting the ball. That is something I am very big on. I don't like guys that are great shooters that can get scared to shoot the ball when the game is on the line or the pressure is high. You have less of a chance on making the shot if you're shooting it with fear. That wasn't really a problem with Neal.

Props if you wanted him before last off-season then.
Check the think tank just bumped his thread and check dat proof

TheGreatYacht
05-20-2015, 10:34 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237783

Count me in on the Aminu wagon as well. Perfect backup 3, tbh

Malik Hairston
05-20-2015, 10:36 PM
Calling Omri Casspi "Omar" is kind of funny in a way.

:lol

look_at_g_shred
05-20-2015, 10:36 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237783

Count me in on the Aminu wagon as well. Perfect backup 3, tbh
What do you know? I'm in there too! lol

TheGreatYacht
05-20-2015, 10:38 PM
Post #53

Fuck!
:lol :toast

look_at_g_shred
05-20-2015, 10:39 PM
Post #53

:lol :toast
ha :lol

look_at_g_shred
05-20-2015, 10:41 PM
I'd still be willing to take a chance on Chris Douglas Roberts

Ice009
05-20-2015, 11:07 PM

I just saw some of my posts in there. I said Daye would be trash. Looks like Aminu was better than both Daye and Kyle Anderson this past season. Some people thought those two are better than Aminu.

Most people don't like to think for themselves when it comes to Basketball and this FO. They always follow whatever the FO does, don't question it at all.