PDA

View Full Version : Go Set a Watchman- Harper Lee

cantthinkofanything
05-19-2015, 08:57 AM
Anyone going to give this a read?

In a nutshell, it's the story of the characters from To Kill a Mockingbird later in their lives. But it was actually written first but then the manuscript was shelved and recently rediscovered. It's been a decades since I read TKAM and that was in school so I'm not sure that I really appreciated it for what it was or at least supposed to be. One of the most beloved books of all time. I'm sure this new release tops the charts but wonder if it's worth it.

DMC
05-19-2015, 09:49 AM
It's worth it. You have Harper Lee, how bad can it be?

Thread
05-19-2015, 10:42 AM
It was on that shelf for a reason.

She should have left "Kill" alone.

Thread
05-19-2015, 11:01 AM
The "relationship" Twixt Atticus & Bob Ewell is the most magnetic. So much has gone before for these two...war, rank, vocation, social standing,,,they've watched one another from close & afar and it's shaded their behavior to the other and the community. The physically closer they become the deeper they seethe to the point they actually tremble with frustration, regret and intent. Atticus is able to let it go. His upbringing, his social place, his rank, his war record holding him fast in the ranks. Ewell cannot, even though he "wins"---spitting on Peck without response (he braces here for it,,,it never comes), just the slightest of satisfied smirk from Atticus, his daughter upheld, Tom Robinson put down,,,it's not enough for Ewell. So, he takes to the bottle trying to drown his act(s) of incest and the clear vision of perfection (Attitus) and stalks the nite & the most defenseless of the Finch family, the children.

cantthinkofanything
05-19-2015, 11:02 AM
It was on that shelf for a reason.

She should have left "Kill" alone.

I wondered that at first but with only one other book, it's impossible to make that assumption. One is better than the other but you can't assume the other isn't good. Especially considering that To Kill is a masterpiece. That being said, I didn't read the whole explanation of why it was shelved. From what I heard on the radio, it was shelved "in favor of" To Kill. Not necessarily shelved because it sucked. But I didn't learn enough to know why it wasn't later released. Hard to imagine that Lee forgot it as she said.

If I was 100% skeptical, I would assume that she wrote it later and this is a calculated money grab.

cantthinkofanything
05-19-2015, 11:41 AM
It's worth it. You have Harper Lee, how bad can it be?

I don't know. I'm having a hard time getting through a book and it's a little disconcerting. I'm hoping that watching TV and being on the computer hasn't reprogrammed my brain to lose enjoyment of reading. But I haven't read anything lately that was such a page turner (for me) that it was 1) hard to put down or 2) that I really looked forward to getting back to. I've forced myself through a few books that were good but it seemed like I was just trying to get through them instead of enjoying them.

leemajors
05-19-2015, 11:47 AM
I don't know. I'm having a hard time getting through a book and it's a little disconcerting. I'm hoping that watching TV and being on the computer hasn't reprogrammed my brain to lose enjoyment of reading. But I haven't read anything lately that was such a page turner (for me) that it was 1) hard to put down or 2) that I really looked forward to getting back to. I've forced myself through a few books that were good but it seemed like I was just trying to get through them instead of enjoying them.

The Vorrh is fucking weird, I like it.

cantthinkofanything
05-19-2015, 12:24 PM
The Vorrh is fucking weird, I like it.

Hmm. It's hard to get much from the reviews and I didn't want to read so much to spoil it. I'll give it a shot. But this is exactly the kind of book that I think I would have been all into a few years ago but now can't make it through.

Spurminator
05-19-2015, 01:36 PM
Did Capote write this one too?

Avante
05-19-2015, 02:08 PM
I have the last three Lee Child's Jack Reachers in waiting, then...

7 Steps to Midnight...Richard Matheson
The Rampa Story...T.Lobsang Rampa
The Origins of the Urban Crisis...Thomas J. Sugrue
whatever you say i am...eminem

then I guess I'd be curious enought to give it a go.

cantthinkofanything
05-19-2015, 02:20 PM
I have the last three Lee Child's Jack Reachers in waiting, then...

7 Steps to Midnight...Richard Matheson
The Rampa Story...T.Lobsang Rampa
The Origins of the Urban Crisis...Thomas J. Sugrue
whatever you say i am...eminem

then I guess I'd be curious enought to give it a go.

You'll die first tbh.

Avante
05-19-2015, 02:33 PM
You'll die first tbh.

I read 30 pages a night, so.....hmmmm?

cantthinkofanything
05-19-2015, 02:43 PM
I read 30 pages a night, so.....hmmmm?

At least you'll get through the Jack Reacher series. If I were you, I'd start "7 Steps" by reading the last chapter first.

DMC
05-20-2015, 12:20 AM
There's a reason she didn't publish it. Take it for what it is.

Avante
05-20-2015, 01:01 AM
At least you'll get through the Jack Reacher series. If I were you, I'd start "7 Steps" by reading the last chapter first.

If ya like Lee Child's Jack Reacher you'd love James Lee Burke and his Louisiana detective Dave Robicheaux.