PDA

View Full Version : 48 Minutes of Hell: Draft Prospects the Spurs Have Met

BillMc
05-19-2015, 03:46 PM
http://www.48minutesofhell.com/montrezl-harrell-t-j-mcconnell-among-prospects-spurs-have-met-with

Montrezl Harrell, T.J. McConnell among prospects Spurs have met with
by Trevor Zickgraf (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/author/tzickgraf)
The San Antonio Spurs’ front office is taking advantage of the team’s early playoff exit. While preparing for last week’s draft combine in Chicago, the team was getting a sneak peek at a handful of prospects.
Among that handful that came through, two prospects stood out, mostly because of the impression they made in Chicago after the Spurs worked them out. First is Notre Dame’s Pat Connaughton (http://www.elkharttruth.com/sports/college-sports/notre-dame-university/2015/05/16/Notre-Dame-s-Pat-Connaughton-all-in-as-he-chases-NBA-chance.html). The senior shooting guard made waves last week when he set a combine record for the max vertical with a 44 inch leap. There’s some question (http://www.nbadraft.net/2015-nba-draft-combine-athleticism-test-analysis) about how high he actually got up, but rest assured the guy is one hell of an athlete. Before that there was some question about whether Connaughton was even someone worthy of a late second round pick. His age (22) held him back and while he was a valuable role player at Notre Dame, he was overshadowed by fellow guards Jerian Grant and Demetrius Jackson. However, he’s a really good shooter and now a way better than advertised athlete so he’s going to get plenty of attention moving forward. Some have said he could develop a Danny Green type role for a team, which would obviously interest the Spurs. Now the problem is where before the combine he may have been around at the 55th pick he’s almost certainly going to interest a team drafting before the late second round. The question will now become whether he’s worth the 25th pick in the draft.
The other player that caught my eye was Arizona point guard T.J. McConnell (http://tucson.com/sports/basketball/college/wildcats/arizona-basketball-mcconnell-not-letting-opportunity-slip-at-combine/article_073f3eeb-e24f-56a1-bb28-568538b2adbf.html). The 23 year old floor general is not particularly athletic or tall and wasn’t a consistent offensive threat during college. So why on earth would any team want him? He is the definition of a floor general. Gets everyone involved, takes what’s given to him and rarely makes the wrong play. He is also a tenacious defender. If you saw Arizona’s second round match up with Ohio State in March, you may have noticed the work he did when he defended D’Angelo Russell, a lock for a top five pick. I’d be willing to bet McConnell makes an NBA team this fall, but he’ll almost certainly be there at the end of the second round because his athletic profile and age don’t speak well for him. But he’s the type of player and teammate you want on your bench. (Side note: the Spurs are also scheduled to work out (http://tucson.com/sports/blogs/pascoe/arizona-basketball-weird-meeting-for-ashley-mcconnell/article_f26391c8-fb72-11e4-8650-6b5c94d03316.html) McConnell’s Wildcat teammate, forward Brandon Ashley, who is an interesting second round combo forward prospect).
Once they were at the draft combine, the Spurs went through the interview process like every other team. There’s so many interviews it’s tough to take too much stock in any one, but a couple that we’ve heard of also stand out. The first is Louisville power forward Montrezl Harrell (H/T Jabari Young (https://twitter.com/JabariJYoung/status/599393431144771584)). Harrell is so much fun to watch due to his athleticism and all out hustle. He’s raw on offense, but has grown in his three years with the Cardinals. If you’re looking for a comparison, think a more skilled DeJuan Blair as his basement and Kenneth Faried as his ceiling. Defensively is where he has the ability to be a better all around prospect than either. While he’s only 6’8″ (like a real 6’8″, not DeJuan Blair 6’8″), he has this crazy 7’4″ wingspan and is more mobile than either Blair or Faried. He’s also strong enough to defend the post. Check out this awesome breakdown (http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Montrezl-Harrell-NBA-Draft-Scouting-Report-and-Video-Breakdown-4904/) from DraftExpress, including two quality scouting videos from Mike Schmitz. He might not be the perfect fit, but his potential as both a pick and roll defender and finisher would be something the Spurs don’t have and could certainly add to their arsenal.
The other name that stood out is Brazilian guard George De Paula. I’ll dive more in depth on De Paula later, but he’s a 6’5″ point guard with a ridiculous 7’0″ wingspan. He’s one of those fringe first round picks you could absolutely see the Spurs selecting. Until then, leave us a note about what you think the Spurs biggest need is in the draft or a specific prospect you’d like to know about.

BatManu20
05-19-2015, 03:56 PM
Montrezzl Harrell is surprising tbh. He's not really skilled at all, not sure how he'd fit in our offense. He'd basically be a slightly better version of Ayers. His personality type doesn't really seem to fit the Spurs either. He's an undersized 4 at 6'8, but with that crazy 7'4 wingspan, he is a beast on the glass and plays with a lot of energy.

BillMc
05-19-2015, 04:11 PM
Montrezzl Harrell is surprising tbh. He's not really skilled at all, not sure how he'd fit in our offense. He'd basically be a slightly better version of Ayers. His personality type doesn't really seem to fit the Spurs either. He's an undersized 4 at 6'8, but with that crazy 7'4 wingspan, he is a beast on the glass and plays with a lot of energy.

I don't know anything about him. What is it with his personality? Off-court issues? Selfish? Refuses to blog about sandwiches? If, as the article says, he's more skilled than Blair, but bigger and a better athlete (with better knees), he might not be a bad pick. As I said, I can't say. I don't watch much of the college game.

Spur-Addict
05-19-2015, 04:28 PM
We will not draft Montrezl.

Richie
05-19-2015, 04:40 PM
I like the sound of Harrell, but he won't fit with the Spurs unless he becomes a better 3 point shooter. DraftExpress video describes him as not a great decision maker which is a bit of a red flag for this team.

exstatic
05-19-2015, 07:05 PM
Don't consider all of these players as San Antonio Spurs material. Some are being evaluated for Austin, if it looks borderline for them to be drafted.

Mikeanaro
05-19-2015, 07:37 PM
While he’s only 6’8″ (like a real 6’8″, not DeJuan Blair 6’8″):lmao

FireMicoHalili
05-19-2015, 08:14 PM
Random thoughts:

1.) Nothing wrong with shoot-first combo guards out of lesser-known colleges. Lillard, Curry, McCollum have been setting a precedent so teams should be on the lookout for diamonds in the rough (not surprise for the Spurs)
2.) Most of the players they've scouted (Connaughton, Christmas, Young, Aaron White, Sibert) are seniors.
3.) They scouted D'Angelo Russell for only reasons God knows. Parker, Splitter as trade chips, maybe?
4.) Spurs always seem to want players with outlandish physical tools (huge wingspan [Leonard, Harrell], high verts [Connaughton]). The idea is probably that these guys can adapt to the big leagues better with physical tools to help them adjust. I don't think Kaminsky is going to cut it without making tweaks to his game.
5.) I don't see them scouting for bigs aside from Harrell and Christmas, and the only international they have scouted so far is George de Paula.

Just a hodgepodge of thoughts, of course! I expect a lot of kids to go up the board in a few weeks' time, including De Paula. I have a gut feel Harrell somehow falls to the Spurs' laps. Kind of unfair Memphis gets to pick ahead but that's life.

cd021
05-19-2015, 10:18 PM
Connaughton seems like a good pick for the Spurs with the 56th. Excellent shooter and great athlete. Good length and decent size at the 2. Odd he still isn't projected to get drafted by both Draft Net and Draft Express.

Would like to see the Spurs make a trade down (using our 26th pick) with Minnesota for the 31st and 36th pick.

itzsoweezee
05-19-2015, 11:18 PM
The other name that stood out is Brazilian guard George De Paula. I’ll dive more in depth on De Paula later, but he’s a 6’5″ point guard with a ridiculous 7’0″ wingspan.

Sounds intriguing

cutewizard
05-19-2015, 11:35 PM
http://www.nba.com/2015/news/features/scott_howard_cooper/05/14/latvias-kristaps-porzingis-could-be-picked-in-top-3/index.html?ls=iref:nba:specials

BatManu20
05-19-2015, 11:51 PM
Connaughton seems like a good pick for the Spurs with the 56th. Excellent shooter and great athlete. Good length and decent size at the 2. Odd he still isn't projected to get drafted by both Draft Net and Draft Express.

Would like to see the Spurs make a trade down (using our 26th pick) with Minnesota for the 31st and 36th pick.

He won't be around at pick 56. He had an impressive combine. Plus he can shoot it. He's rated as an early-mid 2nd rounder now.

BatManu20
05-19-2015, 11:52 PM
I don't know anything about him. What is it with his personality? Off-court issues? Selfish? Refuses to blog about sandwiches? If, as the article says, he's more skilled than Blair, but bigger and a better athlete (with better knees), he might not be a bad pick. As I said, I can't say. I don't watch much of the college game.

He's always seemed a bit more "me" oriented. He does play hard, but would be a strange pick for us imo. Here's a little taste of his game.

http://youtu.be/5nKSkGGE9Tk

BillMc
05-20-2015, 12:26 AM
He's always seemed a bit more "me" oriented. He does play hard, but would be a strange pick for us imo. Here's a little taste of his game.

Good video! Many thanks!:toast Yeah, those celebrations will have to be toned down if he's going to be a Spur. Timmy and Kawhi would show him the ropes.

horsielove
05-20-2015, 01:34 AM

He has good size. He can stretch the floor very well. But he looks like he's the type that dont want to get shouted on and it wont sit well with Pop. Pop likes his bigs, soft and europie tbh. He's ugly too. Don't want him.

look_at_g_shred
05-20-2015, 10:35 PM
If we were somehow able to land Aldridge at Green's expense, is their anyone around our slot who could ideally try and replace him?

exstatic
05-20-2015, 11:05 PM
He won't be around at pick 56. He had an impressive combine. Plus he can shoot it. He's rated as an early-mid 2nd rounder now.

D/X has their post combine analysis and mock draft up. He's bumped up a bit, but he's still ranked #76 in prospects, undrafted. He could move up, but to see another jump of almost 20 places to get into the draft is unlikely. The combine is the last chance that teams get to see players actually play ball.

Biggems
05-20-2015, 11:41 PM

I agree with that trade.

I like CoJo, but I think he is ready to compete for bigger role. I wonder if we could send him home, along with Bonner. I wonder what we could get in return from Toronto from both of them.....I am not expecting a lot, but maybe a 2nd round pick or two.

Juan
05-20-2015, 11:46 PM
Did the Spurs meet with Leonard before drafting him...?

Biggems
05-20-2015, 11:49 PM

probably, but they didn't draft him, Indiana did.

100%duncan
05-20-2015, 11:55 PM

Technically yes but the Spurs chose him, iirc Indiana weren't going to get Leonard before the trade proposal.

Juan
05-21-2015, 12:10 AM

It was the Spurs choice and iirc the Spurs did not meet with leonard as he turned down a workout in San Antonio. So this article means shit.

cd021
05-21-2015, 08:34 PM
I agree with that trade.

I like CoJo, but I think he is ready to compete for bigger role. I wonder if we could send him home, along with Bonner. I wonder what we could get in return from Toronto from both of them.....I am not expecting a lot, but maybe a 2nd round pick or two.

Bonner is a FA. Toronto has some cap space potentially. They wouldn't have to give up anything unless they go over the cap and need to do a and S&T. I could see the Spurs letting Cojo walk if he tells them he wants a bigger role.

cd021
05-21-2015, 08:36 PM
D/X has their post combine analysis and mock draft up. He's bumped up a bit, but he's still ranked #76 in prospects, undrafted. He could move up, but to see another jump of almost 20 places to get into the draft is unlikely. The combine is the last chance that teams get to see players actually play ball.

I was thinking the same thing. Draft Net still doesn't even have him being drafted either. If he's available at 56 that would be great value. The Spurs could also sign him if he goes undrafted.

exstatic
05-21-2015, 10:20 PM

Actually, I heard 'no'. They were terrified that another team would twig their interest and take him before they could arrange a trade. They didn't even interview him. They did, however, talk extensively with Steve Fisher, the SDSU coach.

james evans
05-23-2015, 06:42 PM
why would the spurs let the media know who they are interested in. We have a history of finding the best players in teh draft that nobody wants, so why would we not started telling others who we are looking at? This article smells like bullshit. Whomever we are interested in, nobody knows.

gambit1990
05-25-2015, 03:24 PM
i'll take montrezl.

Vic Petro
05-26-2015, 06:30 PM

Russ
05-26-2015, 07:39 PM
Actually, I heard 'no'. They were terrified that another team would twig their interest and take him before they could arrange a trade. They didn't even interview him. They did, however, talk extensively with Steve Fisher, the SDSU coach.

I'm hoping the Spurs will take the same approach with Christian Wood of UNLV.

Maddog
05-27-2015, 09:27 AM
Since the Spurs haven't had a draft pick under 20 since 98 they've done pretty well.
However it's becoming harder to fly under the radar. At least twice the Spurs have gotten "scooped" on players they where targeting Kristic and Batum. I wouldn't read too much into who they have and haven't interviewed. When you are drafting that late you just need to be ready for all contingencies.