PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Historical Performance of #2 picks

ambchang
05-20-2015, 02:29 PM
Generally sucked. Don't know why that is, but it probably has something to do with:
1) You don't land the #2 pick unless you really suck, so your management team, by extension, suck too
2) You don't get to pick the obvious no brainer like a Lebron, Duncan or Shaq, but given the management team sucked, they can't pick right.

Now let's look at all the #2 picks in the last 40 years

2014 - Jabari Parker - Jury's still out. He was putting up decent numbers before he got hurt, but if you are counting on him to lead you to the promised land, you will be picking high in the lottery for a while.
2013 - Victor Oladipo - Stat padding on bad teams. The entire draft class is horrible though.
2012 - Michael Kidd-Gilchrist - Finally coming into his own after a few years. Solid defensive player, and developing as an offensive player. One of those supercharged role players, but no where close to a franchise player
2011 - Derrick Williams - What happened to him? Total bust in a draft full of busts
2010 - Evan Turner - See Derrick Williams
2009 - Hasheem Thabeet - Just an overall embarrassment. He'd be a stretch as the 2nd pick of any typical 2nd round.
2008 - Michael Beasley - Who said pot is harmless?
2007 - Kevin Durant - Probably the best 2nd pick of all time along with Isiah Thomas. But the reason he was picked 2nd was because Portland picked first. Speaking of the draft, what happened to Yi Jianlian?
2006 - LaMarcus Aldridge - Overrated soft shooting PF. I'd be saying the same even if the Spurs signed him. Sadly though, he was by far the best player in that draft
2005 - Marvin Williams - CP3 and Deron Williams lard were drafted after him.
2004 - Emeka Okafor - Decent player, Theo Ratliff type of player. But I'd say he's better defensively, and less injury prone.
2003 - Darko Milicic - One of the most LOADED draft since 1984, with two franchise player, two perennial all-stars, and bunch of way above average starters, and the Pistons picked Darko
2002 - Jay Williams - He could have been at least decent, but didn't think he needed a license or a helmet to ride a motorcycle
2001 - Tyson Chandler - One of my favourite players due to his hustle, passing and defense, but if you are drafted in front of MVPau, you are a bust.
2000 - Stromile Swift - Runs like a deer, jumps like a deer, thinks like a deer.
1999 - Steve Francis - Great athletic abilities, but attitude problems meant that he led his team nowhere. He was one of the many decent players in that year's draft, but none of them were really franchise changers.
1998 - Mike Bibby - Decent player, led his team to one ring, but as a 2nd or 3rd banana. Nowitzki, Pierce and Carter came after him but all three were obviously better.
1997 - Keith Van Horne - Drafted the same year as El Busto, and wasn't really that much better off. Croshere, who came a few picks after him, managed to outplay Kobe in the Finals so we know Croshere was at least capable of winning 3 rings as a 2nd banana, but we will never know if KVH can do the same.
1996 - Camby - Stats version of Chandler, but no where close to as good a leader or passer.
1995 - Antonio McDyess - Solid player, just not a franchise player. He was actually one of my favourite players, but his injuries really kept him from greatness. Could have been as good as Webber, but never really got there. He was like a 2000 version of Larry Nance to me.
1994 - Jason Kidd - Phenomenal player, clearly the best player in that draft (thanks to Hill's injuries)
1993 - Shawn Bradley - Best known as McGrady's horse. Really, that was his career highlight
1992 - Alonzo Mourning - Borderline franchise player, but he's more a defensive anchor, and the reason his teams struggled offensively was because the offense went through him
1991 - Kenny Anderson - very talented player who had attitude problems. Kind of like a mellower version of Marbury
1990 - Gary Payton - Again, the best player in his draft class. the only player who really gave Jordan any problems during his reign in the 90s.
1989 - Danny Ferry - Did a better job as a GM than as a player, and that is AFTER including his African comments
1988 - Rik Smits - Solid 2nd banana on a playoff team.
1987 - Armen Gilliam - The Hammer was a rugged PF in the mold of Buck Williams, not a franchise player by the furthest stretch of imagination
1986 - Len Bias - Died before he played a single game. One of the greatest what-ifs in NBA history
1985 - Wayman Tisdale - Solid player, all-star caliber even. But typical best player on a horrible team type of player
1984 - Sam Bowie - Oden, Bradley and Sampson all rolled into one. He was actually a solid player, but will forever be known as the biggest bust of all time thanks to Jordan.
1983 - Steve Spinanovich - The only reason he was ever drafted this high was because he was white, and Indiana drafted 2nd. That was it. He accidentally discharged a firearm and shot himself, and he was about as coordinated on the court. Nice guy though.
1982 - Terry Cummings - Again, in the same line as Tisdale and Gilliam, but Cummings was obviously better. Just a rugged PF and low post scorer. Would have reduced most of today's players to tears just by his mean glance. But again, not really a franchise player.
1981 - Isiah Thomas - Clearly the best player of the draft, and the best 2nd pick of all time, along Durant
1980 - Darrell Griffith - Decent player, liked him as a player, very athletic. Borderline allstar talent
1979 - Dave Greenwood - He sucked, typical BWS
1978 - Phil Ford - He was OK for a few years, and then the wheels fell off.
1977 - Otis Birdsong - Great scorer, somewhat of a chucker, doesn't really do anything else that well. A poor man's Dumars or Richmond type player, if you will.
1976 - Scott May - You know the players were coking up in the 70s and messing the game up? Apparently, the owners were too. Pretty much the only reason why May was drafted 2nd.
1975 - Dave Meyers - the last player Lakers drafted #2. He stunk.

So in summary, in 40 years, we saw 2 unquestionable franchise players (Isiah, Durant) three borderline franchise players (Kidd, Payton and Mourning), 9 all-stars, 8 solid starters/solid role player types, 6 disappointments and 12 busts.

In other words, whoever counting on the #2 pick to lead them to the promised land will likely be disappointed.

AlexJones
05-20-2015, 02:30 PM
Paypal me 550 bucks or else I'm calling DD over immediately

Mitch
05-20-2015, 02:32 PM
You type that up yourself, chang?

spurraider21
05-20-2015, 02:33 PM
Paypal me 550 bucks or else I'm calling DD over immediately
:cry i'm telling on you :cry

BatManu20
Okafor will be a multiple-time All-Star. He won't be a HOFer. My 2 cents.

AlexJones
:cry i'm telling on you :cry

Different from snitching to a mod tho

spurraider21
05-20-2015, 02:37 PM
Different from snitching to a mod tho
wouldn't know anything about that anyway. pretty sure rogues himself was just trying to get that embarrassment of a threat deleted

ambchang
05-20-2015, 02:54 PM
You type that up yourself, chang?

Yeah, it's like writing a blog. Didn't proof-read it or anything, but just typed away. There goes 15 minutes of my life.

Mitch
05-20-2015, 02:56 PM
Yeah, it's like writing a blog. Didn't proof-read it or anything, but just typed away. There goes 15 minutes of my life.

Why focus on the #2 pick, though?

Thread
05-20-2015, 03:32 PM
Amb, running just as fast as he can.

Killakobe81
05-20-2015, 04:05 PM
Plenty of #1 picks has failed as well ...
With no Adavis, Blake or Lebron in the draft the point being made is moot. Heck tbh the #3 or #4 could very well be better than the #1.

But the reality is Mid Amb etc, were hoping for the LOL's pending us surrendering the pick .... but now that we have the 2nd choice ... he goes to a whole lot of work ... instead of simply saying the draft is a crap shoot and this pick doesn't promise the Lakers shit ...

All that being said woo-hoo! glad we have a potential #2 ... problem is we no longer have a legit #1 ...

Mitch
05-20-2015, 04:10 PM
With no Adavis, Blake or Lebron in the draft the point being made is moot. Heck tbh the #3 or #4 could very well be better than the #1.

But the reality is Mid Amb etc, were hoping for the LOL's pending us surrendering the pick .... but now that we have the 2nd choice ... he goes to a whole lot of work ... instead of simply saying the draft is a crap shoot and this pick doesn't promise the Lakers shit ...

All that being said woo-hoo! glad we have a potential #2 ... problem is we no longer have a legit #1 ...

Don't worry, we'll have a #1 pick this decade.

Killakobe81
05-20-2015, 04:15 PM
Don't worry, we'll have a #1 pick this decade.

This wasnt about a #1 pick ...
I mean a #1 star on a title worthy team .... a Kobe, Duncan, Lebron type ...

Splits
05-20-2015, 04:22 PM
I mean a #1 star on a title worthy team .... a Shaq, Pau, Duncan, Lebron type ...

Mitch
05-20-2015, 04:25 PM

Oh...

Um.

I'm sure Kobe will average 35/10/7 next year :tu

Clipper Nation
05-20-2015, 05:01 PM
> "#1 star on a title team"
> "Kobe"

:lmao

Killakobe81
05-20-2015, 05:26 PM
Oh...

Um.

I'm sure Kobe will average 35/10/7 next year :tu

LOL that wasn't happening in his prime ...
you ain't winning a title without a legit #1 at best Lakers have a potential #2 and #3 ...Kobe is done anything he gives next season is a bonus.

Killakobe81
05-20-2015, 05:28 PM
> "#1 star on a title team"
> "Kobe"

:lmao

You fail at recognition of a #1 ...
go back and LOL at Game 6 for team selfie the losingest franchise in all of Socal ...fucken Sparks have rang ...twice. Clips can't even make Finals

Killakobe81
05-20-2015, 05:29 PM
LOL what is wrong with that line-up

ambchang
05-20-2015, 05:40 PM
Why focus on the #2 pick, though?

Because that's all the board has been talking about the last few days.

ambchang
05-20-2015, 05:53 PM

The lakers drafting poorly is pretty much a given at this point and that's based on their management team.

As for the reason for this thread, it is to point out that even on average, #2 pick promises nothing, and given its the lakers, chances are that the results will be bad.

I wasn't necessarily waiting for the lakers to surrender the pick. Not worried the lakers will pick well at all and it's not like the draft was 1984 or 2003.

The funny thing is, the Spurs are being chastised for finishing 2nd in the 2013 season for 2 years by the laker fans, now, the same laker fans are celebrating for finishing 2nd in the draft for a few years of ineptitude.

ambchang
05-20-2015, 05:55 PM
Amb, running just as fast as he can.

Running as fast as a second pick can.

Mitch
05-20-2015, 06:13 PM
Because that's all the board has been talking about the last few days.

Come now, Chang. You know you wanted to find some way to piss in my cereal.

RsxPiimp
05-20-2015, 06:21 PM
I see 7 busts in 24 yrs. thats actually a pretty good ratio. :toast

~O~
05-20-2015, 06:59 PM
Oladipo stat padding...meh. Oladipo is the best out of that draft thus far. Remember, he was picked after Anthony Bennett. Luckily the Cavs didn't have LeBron as their GM that year.

Evan Turner is an idiot. He could have been a much better player than he currently is. Thabeet and Beasley almost have the same exact mental problems. Still stuck in a hood mindset.

~O~
05-20-2015, 07:01 PM
Derrick Williams...in a draft with Kawhi Leonard and Klay Thompson picked behind him. Yeesh.

Clipper Nation
05-20-2015, 07:05 PM
go back and LOL at Game 6 for team selfie the losingest franchise in all of Socal ...fucken Sparks have rang ...twice. Clips can't even make Finals
I recognize Shaq and MVPau just fine, tbh.

RsxPiimp
05-20-2015, 07:25 PM
Oladipo stat padding...meh. Oladipo is the best out of that draft thus far. Remember, he was picked after Anthony Bennett. Luckily the Cavs didn't have LeBron as their GM that year.

Evan Turner is an idiot. He could have been a much better player than he currently is. Thabeet and Beasley almost have the same exact mental problems. Still stuck in a hood mindset.

Beasley had redeeming qualities, but yeah his hood personality got in the way for the most part of his career.

Arcadian
05-20-2015, 07:27 PM
It's not just #2 picks, either. The draft, in general, is a crapshoot. Relying on the draft to get better is never a good approach (unless supplemented with smart free agent signings).

~O~
05-20-2015, 07:46 PM
It's not just #2 picks, either. The draft, in general, is a crapshoot. Relying on the draft to get better is never a good approach (unless supplemented with smart free agent signings).

The Spurs hasn't had to test free agency for a decade in a half. You probably forgot how difficult it is for small market team to attract major free agents, build through draft and have untrade-able cancerous assets.

Arcadian
05-20-2015, 08:34 PM
The Spurs hasn't had to test free agency for a decade in a half. You probably forgot how difficult it is for small market team to attract major free agents, build through draft and have untrade-able cancerous assets.

They still made good free agent moves to supplement their star players. Their draft success was extremely lucky. I wouldn't advise other teams to try to build the way the Spurs did.

Thread
05-20-2015, 10:25 PM
They still made good free agent moves to supplement their star players. Their draft success was extremely lucky. I wouldn't advise other teams to try to build the way the Spurs did.

Conspiring with players to quit on their team so they can come play for the Spurs is a piss pot way to do business.

LkrFan
05-20-2015, 10:29 PM

Brrrr - that's cold! :rollin :lmao :rollin

Arcadian
05-20-2015, 11:09 PM
Conspiring with players to quit on their team so they can come play for the Spurs is a piss pot way to do business.

Conspiring? I'm pretty sure the conversation went like this: "Hey. Want to win? Come play for the Spurs."

DMC
05-20-2015, 11:35 PM
The problem with looking at players using that method is that these guys historically go to shitty teams and as such don't get good career development. They sink or swim. Take a decent 2nd rounder and put him on a top 4 team in the league and his odds of being an all star caliber player increase exponentially.

This is the problem with the NBA Draft Lottery system; it rewards shitty teams with shitty players, and in the process fucks over the best chance it has to develop a better league through development of rare talents as they are wasting away on shitty franchises disinterested in winning championships.

Thread
05-21-2015, 04:48 AM
Conspiring? I'm pretty sure the conversation went like this: "Hey. Want to win? Come play for the Spurs."

"Sacre bleu. How?"

---

"Sabotage yourself, they'll fire you, you'll come here, Qui?"

ambchang
05-21-2015, 06:07 AM
Come now, Chang. You know you wanted to find some way to piss in my cereal.

Not particularly yours, just an objective way to damper the unfounded enthusiasm of Laker fans. Similar to how I would comment on how Kawhi is not an all-world superstar in the making.

Mitch
05-21-2015, 11:43 AM
Not particularly yours, just an objective way to damper the unfounded enthusiasm of Laker fans. Similar to how I would comment on how Kawhi is not an all-world superstar in the making.

Why don't you damper the guys getting giddy over Aldridge?

ambchang
05-21-2015, 01:48 PM
Why don't you damper the guys getting giddy over Aldridge?

I did, a few times. I rarely post upstairs anymore. For all the stupidity that goes on around here, the idiocy upstairs is that much more astounding.

Clipper Nation
05-21-2015, 05:18 PM
Brrrr - that's cold! :rollin :lmao :rollin
:lol Rolando trying so hard to avoid starting another "LOL NBA - Lakers are back in the hunt" thread

LkrFan
05-21-2015, 06:00 PM
:lol Rolando trying so hard to avoid starting another "LOL NBA - Lakers are back in the hunt" thread

N:lolpe - I told midnightpulp the
http://lakers.topbuzz.com/modules/PNphpBB2/images/avatars/upload/28241195052f8e2e2effe6.png was real. Results? Top 1.5 pick (who wants to play in Minny? :lol) LkrFan curse = deadPERIOD. :lol