PDA

View Full Version : T-Wolves: First time in NBA history a team will have 3 consecutive #1 picks in their roster...

ElNono
05-20-2015, 03:29 PM
Is this indicative of the generally average talent available on #1 picks in this day and age, just bad talent assessment or just something specific to the T-Wolves?

They didn't pick Wiggins, but he was with the team all season. They still largely sucked and tanked again.

daslicer
05-20-2015, 04:25 PM
Is this indicative of the generally average talent available on #1 picks in this day and age, just bad talent assessment or just something specific to the T-Wolves?

They didn't pick Wiggins, but he was with the team all season. They still largely sucked and tanked again.

If you go back to 1990 there hasn't been that many bonafide franchises players that have been picked with the number 1 pick. Shaq,Duncan,Lebron,Davis and maybe Yao before injuries. After that I would say superstar players would be Iverson,Webber,Griffin,Irving,Wall,Howard, and Rose before the injuries. Then you have a third group that made it to the all-star game a few times Brand,G.Robinson,Larry Johnson,Coleman. In the last 25 years you have had 4 franchise players, 7 superstars, 4 all-stars. That means 15 out of the 25 guys drafted at number 1 had above average careers that's not really a bad ration. One thing it shows you is its hard as hell to get a franchise player at number 1 since they have been only 4 guys out of the last 25 years to be that type of player. It shows you have to be shitty and lucky in the right year if you want a franchise type of player like Shaq,Duncan,Lebron, and Davis. You have a slightly better chance to draft a superstar at number 1 but even that is also difficult. Ideally you either want a franchise player or a superstar at number 1 and if you combine those odds of getting that type of player it comes out to be a little less than 50 percent which still isn't that bad.

Kool Bob Love
05-20-2015, 04:30 PM
I'm not gonna some sit here and lie like cubby, I'm hoping this doesn't get them going. Fucking cavs man.

Andthentherewas21
05-20-2015, 04:31 PM
If anything it speaks to the ineptitude of Cleveland's FO. Just look at the 2013 Draft and see if you can find one player that has contributed less (when given the PT) than Bennett.

Not that Minny's FO has done much right, but at least K.Love forced their hand so its not entirely on them.

Dex
05-20-2015, 05:41 PM
They really should just give up basketball in Minnesota. They haven't sniffed relevance since they gave up KG, and even then their ceiling was one lucky trip to the WCF.

Thread
05-20-2015, 06:11 PM
They really should just give up basketball in Minnesota. They haven't sniffed relevance since they gave up KG, and even then their ceiling was one lucky trip to the WCF.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/icons/blackaward.gif

Caltex2
05-20-2015, 09:46 PM
They really should just give up basketball in Minnesota. They haven't sniffed relevance since George Mikan was playing for the Minneapolis Lakers.

Fixed.

Findog
05-20-2015, 10:29 PM

Wiggins doesn't suck and you know it. He's got a long ways to go but he'll make more than one ASG before his career is done. Whether they take Towns or Okafor, they're getting another good player. Bennett is another Kwame Brown but he wasn't their pick.

Dex
05-20-2015, 11:00 PM
Fixed.

:tu Truth bombs right here.

LOL 7 straight 1st round exits.

ElNono
05-20-2015, 11:26 PM
Wiggins doesn't suck and you know it. He's got a long ways to go but he'll make more than one ASG before his career is done. Whether they take Towns or Okafor, they're getting another good player. Bennett is another Kwame Brown but he wasn't their pick.

I didn't say he sucked, I said the Wolves sucked and tanked. Even when Shaq was drafted #1 with Orlando, they improved tremendously even though they still missed the playoffs in his 1st season. Tim and Lebron, obviously had immediate impact.

It just seems rare these days that having the #1 pick is enough to make a tangible improvement. I mean, Kyrie Irving is talented and also doesn't suck, but the Cavs hit up the lottery pretty heavily the next 3 seasons after he was drafted.

100%duncan
05-20-2015, 11:31 PM
They'll still suck.

Findog
05-20-2015, 11:31 PM
I didn't say he sucked, I said the Wolves sucked and tanked. Even when Shaq was drafted #1 with Orlando, they improved tremendously even though they still missed the playoffs in his 1st season. Tim and Lebron, obviously had immediate impact.

It just seems rare these days that having the #1 pick is enough to make a tangible improvement. I mean, Kyrie Irving is talented and also doesn't suck, but the Cavs hit up the lottery pretty heavily the next 3 seasons after he was drafted.

C'mon, Shaq is an all-time player. Wiggins probably will be a top 20 player at his peak. He was also, what, 20 years old last year? Shaq was a crazy physical specimen and had two years of college under his belt if I recall correctly.

Irving is a blue-chip player, but the Cavs org under Gilbert is not exactly on par with the Holt/RC/Pop triangle. When he had garbage teammates, his teams lost. Now that he has LeBron, his team is winning. This isn't complicated.

Findog
05-20-2015, 11:33 PM
They'll still suck.

Next year? Sure, but Towns/Okafor together with Wiggins is a good foundation for the next 3-5 years. For the first time in a long time, they have something they can build on. But since they're the T-Wolves they'll probably fuck it up somehow.

100%duncan
05-20-2015, 11:37 PM
Next year? Sure, but Towns/Okafor together with Wiggins is a good foundation for the next 3-5 years. For the first time in a long time, they have something they can build on. But since they're the T-Wolves they'll probably fuck it up somehow.

Wiggins is focusing on shooting midrange and inefficient long 2's. Bennett is a bust. Lavine thinks he's better than he is and will fuck up the chemistry.

Like you said, they'll find a away to fuck it up.

ElNono
05-20-2015, 11:39 PM
C'mon, Shaq is an all-time player. Wiggins probably will be a top 20 player at his peak. He was also, what, 20 years old last year? Shaq was a crazy physical specimen and had two years of college under his belt if I recall correctly.

Dunno Fin, I just get the feeling you don't get your money's worth with the top picks nowadays... perhaps the exception is Anthony Davis, or even Blake Griffin. Guys that have shown they can dominate, at least for stretches.

Not saying Wiggins can't improve, or wasn't deserving of the #1 pick, tbh... I just feel a guy like that should be able to provide more than 16 wins for your team.

Findog
05-20-2015, 11:45 PM
Dunno Fin, I just get the feeling you don't get your money's worth with the top picks nowadays... perhaps the exception is Anthony Davis, or even Blake Griffin. Guys that have shown they can dominate, at least for stretches.

Not saying Wiggins can't improve, or wasn't deserving of the #1 pick, tbh... I just feel a guy like that should be able to provide more than 16 wins for your team.

Top Five picks are still very valuable, but they're taking one and done 19 year olds today instead of the seasoned college 21 year olds back in the nineties. It's rare for a 19 year old to be able to come in and play at an All Star level right out of the gate.

Strategic
05-21-2015, 12:09 AM
I don't remember any team even having 3 #1 picks, except for the Lakers with Magic, Jabbar and Worthy. Wondering if Spurs fans think Kawhi will have a similar career as James Worthy, maybe a top 3 small forward?

spursparker9
05-21-2015, 12:17 AM
And they will still be in the lottery again next year :bobo

Sean Cagney
05-21-2015, 12:18 AM
They'll still suck.

TBH.....

DrunkTXLabrat
07-10-2015, 10:16 PM
win or lose, the T-Wolves roster is my new favorite. I'm abandoning my Spurs and jumping on the T-Wolves bandwagon. Tyus Jones, Payne, Dieng, Rubio, and they brought back the alpha wolf KG! That GM is going to revolutionize the way NBA rosters are built. Pop and RC buttkissers are about to see what a real GM looks like.

Big Dog
07-10-2015, 10:20 PM
win or lose, the T-Wolves roster is my new favorite. I'm abandoning my Spurs and jumping on the T-Wolves bandwagon. Tyus Jones, Payne, Dieng, Rubio, and they brought back the alpha wolf KG! That GM is going to revolutionize the way NBA rosters are built. Pop and RC buttkissers are about to see what a real GM looks like.
Someone with your condition jumps to the weed, then onto bigger things that eventually put you into the Darwin award category.

koriwhat
07-10-2015, 10:24 PM
Someone with your condition jumps to the weed, then onto bigger things that eventually put you into the Darwin award category.

Not meth first like all you oklahoma people?

Big Dog
07-10-2015, 10:27 PM
Not meth first like all you oklahoma people?
yeah i got tats on my legs, yeah they're spurs and yeah they're on my calves... we've gone over this yrs ago and yet it's still being brought up like a bad joke. it's fuckin' old man and you think it gets to me when you say the bs you do? you think it gets to me especially coming from some chump off the internet? come on now man... i didn't get these tats because i thought i'd shrivel up into a ball and hide when someone put me down about my decision to tat my calves up with spurs, i got these tats because i wanted to, because i like them and because i could give 2 shits less about some bitchmade chump on the internet.

get over it man and add to this thread or get the fuck out already. come up with something clever or shut the fuck up and get out of my thread.

koriwhat
07-10-2015, 10:30 PM
Lol at creating yet another troll account because youre a pussy. Copy&paste is so 2010...

Big Dog
07-10-2015, 10:35 PM
This is my new account, Perry..my old account was banned. Why do you get so defensive when those tats are brought up?

DrunkTXLabrat
07-10-2015, 10:37 PM

you'll see

koriwhat
07-10-2015, 10:56 PM
This is my new account, Perry..my old account was banned. Why do you get so defensive when those tats are brought up?

Im npt upset at all. I just think youre chickenshit and not much of a man or a comedian. Lame shtick and lame troll accounts equal to a lameass like yourself. Better yet I'll call you perry since you can't get my name right even though your dumbass knows it but some low iq fool like you shouldn't be expected to know a damn thing.

koriwhat
07-10-2015, 10:59 PM
Ps: im not much for grammar behind a screen be it pc or phone. Dissect that and throw it at me like you do with the tattoo thing or why not reach and talk shit about duncans bad investments because yall shit stain trolls really know how to reach.

Big Dog
07-11-2015, 01:24 AM
:lol No, just no. I'm not a troll. I'm legimately just a better quality of human being than you. No need to be emotional about it.

Spurtacular
07-11-2015, 01:53 AM
If you go back to 1990 there hasn't been that many bonafide franchises players that have been picked with the number 1 pick. Shaq,Duncan,Lebron,Davis and maybe Yao before injuries. After that I would say superstar players would be Iverson,Webber,Griffin,Irving,Wall,Howard, and Rose before the injuries. Then you have a third group that made it to the all-star game a few times Brand,G.Robinson,Larry Johnson,Coleman. In the last 25 years you have had 4 franchise players, 7 superstars, 4 all-stars. That means 15 out of the 25 guys drafted at number 1 had above average careers that's not really a bad ration. One thing it shows you is its hard as hell to get a franchise player at number 1 since they have been only 4 guys out of the last 25 years to be that type of player. It shows you have to be shitty and lucky in the right year if you want a franchise type of player like Shaq,Duncan,Lebron, and Davis. You have a slightly better chance to draft a superstar at number 1 but even that is also difficult. Ideally you either want a franchise player or a superstar at number 1 and if you combine those odds of getting that type of player it comes out to be a little less than 50 percent which still isn't that bad.

Good analysis. But I wouldn't use the term superstar above franchise player. Superstar is an NBA marketing gimmick; so I get the use. But really, how many players really hit superstar levels? Just nitpicking...

UNT Eagles 2016
07-11-2015, 05:36 PM
Ps: im not much for grammar behind a screen be it pc or phone. Dissect that and throw it at me like you do with the tattoo thing or why not reach and talk shit about duncans bad investments because yall shit stain trolls really know how to reach.
It's 2015, face tats are the in thing tbh

Mark Celibate
07-11-2015, 06:55 PM
Triple #1 Dynasty tbh.

koriwhat
07-12-2015, 07:12 AM
It's 2015, face tats are the in thing tbh

It seems as so