PDA

View Full Version : Celtics: Legendary Bob Ryan dropping bombs on the Lebatard show today..

Malik Hairston
05-21-2015, 03:18 AM
Bob Ryan, legendary sports media figure that has been covering the game since the Wilt/Russell era was on the Lebatard show today, and dropped some bombs:

- Says Dad Killer is the GOAT, but his Bulls teams are extremely overrated
- Dad Killer's Bulls teams wouldn't beat any other great teams in a series
- Dad Killer's Bulls team played in the most watered down era in league history, he called it the "dark ages of the NBA":lmao
- Warriors are a historically great team, as were last year's Spurs
- The West of the past few years has been the toughest conference in the history of the NBA

:lol damn, 69 year old man that has been covering basketball for ages showing some refreshing, unbiased takes, unlike most of the salty media/players from the past that are blinded by their homerism and nostalgia..

Sorry lefty:lol..

Malik Hairston
05-21-2015, 03:25 AM
:lmao Phil Jackson
:lmao trying to run a basketball team in 2015 :lmao
:lmao trying to do something other than sit on the sidelines and watch Dad Killer go Iso

Sean Cagney
05-21-2015, 03:34 AM
So Jordans 96 team would not beat any of the great teams according to
him??? 72 win team not great??? Any team from the 70s and 80s was great and after the 90s but not the 90s Bulls??? Correct?

apalisoc_9
05-21-2015, 03:41 AM
lol at anyone denying the advancement in today's sports.

Any team today, and individual pro athlete today would dominate 90's and 80's teams/players..

just lol at all these idiots.

Malik Hairston
05-21-2015, 03:42 AM

Any team today, and individual pro athlete today would dominate 90's and 80's teams/players..

Those 80s teams would destroy the shitty 90s teams IMO..

I'm skeptical about the number of White Americans in that era, though

Jacob1983
05-21-2015, 03:44 AM
Those 1990s Knicks, Pacers, and Heat teams were pretty tough.

Sean Cagney
05-21-2015, 03:56 AM
Those 80s teams would destroy the shitty 90s teams IMO..

I'm skeptical about the number of White Americans in that era, though
So the post being athletes get better by the decade but a decade later meaning 80s to 90s
would have the 80s on top??? Bob Ryan mentions 80s teams but hates on 90s Bulls, by that logic would that mean athletes regressed??? I thought you hated anything pre 00's but you agree with a guy who says 86 Celts and 87 Lakers were the best?? What does that say about today???

Infinite_limit
05-21-2015, 03:57 AM
"Warriors are a historically great team"

Defeated Pelicans, Grizzlies and Rockets

96 Bulls in 5 games over Warriors

Sean Cagney
05-21-2015, 03:58 AM

I am a huge Spurs fan so this means the 2014 Spurs are the best of all times???

Thread
05-21-2015, 04:38 AM
9 June 1985 turned this man bitter.

He could dish it. But, he could not take it.

05-21-2015, 05:31 AM
"The West of the past few years has been the toughest conference in the history of the NBA"

I thought you were of the opinion that the west has been very overrated these last few years?

ambchang
05-21-2015, 06:19 AM
I agree the Bulls teams were severely overrated, particularly the 72 win team.

The 72 win team came right after the league's expansion into Canada (Toronto and Vancouver), and that is only a few years after the expansion into Miami, Orlando, Charlotte and Minnesota. The league went from a 23-team league to a 29-team league over 8 years, and that is BEFORE the league started to seriously look at overseas talent. This means that talent was greatly diluted (by 25%). Look at it this way, players who would have been 12th or 11th man is now an 8th or 9th man. Players who used to be bench players are now leading teams that are newly established. Looking at this, let's say the 6 teams are split evenly into East and West conferences, teams are now playing an extra 18 extra cake walk games (4 x 3 teams in the same conference + 2 x 3 teams in the opposite conference). Even for a very good team, that's like an extra 4 or 5 wins, not to mention extra rest for starters.

The best Bulls team was probably the 91 or 92 Bulls, and even those weren't really as great as people make them out to be.

Another interesting point to bring out though, is how Ryan didn't discount the plays of the players from the old times, like Wilt, Oscar, Russell and Cousy. I am curious as to how the OP views that. Malik Hairston.

ambchang
05-21-2015, 06:23 AM
BTW, the Bulls, any version of it, would likely be able to defeat the Warriors with some coaching adjustments.

Jordan and Pippen matches up perfectly with Thomson and Curry on defense, and Green can only guard one of Pippen or Jordan. Bogut doesn't have the verticality of challenging the two, and Grant can help pull him out of the paint. BWS like Bill Wellington, or even Cartwright can open up the paint to a reasonable degree, while players like Armstrong, Paxon and Hodges can keep the defense honest.

Koolaid_Man
05-21-2015, 06:25 AM
Bob Ryan, legendary sports media figure that has been covering the game since the Wilt/Russell era was on the Lebatard show today, and dropped some bombs:

- Says Dad Killer is the GOAT, but his Bulls teams are extremely overrated
- Dad Killer's Bulls teams wouldn't beat any other great teams in a series
- Dad Killer's Bulls team played in the most watered down era in league history, he called it the "dark ages of the NBA":lmao
- Warriors are a historically great team, as were last year's Spurs
- The West of the past few years has been the toughest conference in the history of the NBA

:lol damn, 69 year old man that has been covering basketball for ages showing some refreshing, unbiased takes, unlike most of the salty media/players from the past that are blinded by their homerism and nostalgia..

Sorry lefty:lol..

Do me favor....google these two lines:

1.) When do old people start showing signs of dementia
2.) What are signs that old people are growing senile

:lol

Killakobe81
05-21-2015, 08:45 AM

The 72 win team came right after the league's expansion into Canada (Toronto and Vancouver), and that is only a few years after the expansion into Miami, Orlando, Charlotte and Minnesota. The league went from a 23-team league to a 29-team league over 8 years, and that is BEFORE the league started to seriously look at overseas talent. This means that talent was greatly diluted (by 25%). Look at it this way, players who would have been 12th or 11th man is now an 8th or 9th man. Players who used to be bench players are now leading teams that are newly established. Looking at this, let's say the 6 teams are split evenly into East and West conferences, teams are now playing an extra 18 extra cake walk games (4 x 3 teams in the same conference + 2 x 3 teams in the opposite conference). Even for a very good team, that's like an extra 4 or 5 wins, not to mention extra rest for starters.

The best Bulls team was probably the 91 or 92 Bulls, and even those weren't really as great as people make them out to be.

Another interesting point to bring out though, is how Ryan didn't discount the plays of the players from the old times, like Wilt, Oscar, Russell and Cousy. I am curious as to how the OP views that. Malik Hairston.

I actually do think MJ and his teams are bit overrated but many on here take that a bit to far. Doubtful GSW could beat them or last year's Spurs for that matter.

Thread
05-21-2015, 08:47 AM

What the fuck is that supposed to mean, ap?

Thread
05-21-2015, 08:49 AM
"The West of the past few years has been the toughest conference in the history of the NBA"

I thought you were of the opinion that the west has been very overrated these last few years?

313, catchin' old ruddy cheeks tiptoein'.

DMC
05-21-2015, 09:10 AM
Basketball is a sport where so much is happening that making an assessment about what one team could have done to another team is just water through a sieve.

There are only a handful of people in the world who know enough about the game and have that certain angle of approach that allows them to see things we cannot obviously see. Those people are often not writers. Even head coaches cannot figure out complex schemes and match them with personalities and talents, at least not many. That's why they are more busying looking for jobs than coaching teams.

So I don't doubt this guy knows more about basketball than anyone here, but I don't think he fully understands today's game either. We've all had decades to study the other games.

Thread
05-21-2015, 09:14 AM
^D, finally had a BM this morning and now can think straight for the first time in a fuckin' week.

lefty
05-21-2015, 09:23 AM

Advancement in shitty basketball IQ and lack of fundamentals (DeAndre Jordan)?

Or do you mean shittier All-Stars like Kyle Korver and Teague?

:lmao today's NBA

Thread
05-21-2015, 09:36 AM

today's NBA

Let me borrow your cartoon, Lefty, so I too can roll around & laugh my ass off...:lmao

AlexJones
05-21-2015, 09:38 AM

:lmao Tyrone Hill, Dan Barros

:lmao 90's all stars

Clipper Nation
05-21-2015, 09:51 AM
Bob Ryan's takes :worthy:

Only shitty ones are when he sucks up to the media by calling DK the GOAT and the Warriors a historically great team :lol

baseline bum
05-21-2015, 10:46 AM

BJ Armstrong and Dana Barros making allstar teams

:lmao 90's NBA

lefty
05-21-2015, 11:45 AM

:lmao 90's all stars

Dana had a couple of 50 pt games, did Teague do that?
Tyrone Hill actually deserved his selection

:lol Spurs East
:lol overrated scrubs making it to the ASG because today's NBA :lol is so shit :l

lefty
05-21-2015, 11:47 AM
BJ Armstrong and Dana Barros making allstar teams

:lmao 90's NBA
At least BJ made a big shot in the playoffs

Did Chokorver and Teagay do that?

AlexJones
05-21-2015, 12:00 PM
BJ Armstrong career PER: 14.5

:lmao below average all star player
:lmao Jose Barea making the all star game

Budkin
05-21-2015, 12:16 PM

That was the Lakers redemption title, right?

Thread
05-21-2015, 12:32 PM
That was the Lakers redemption title, right?

No. We were led out of the darkness and rescued from a world of Celtic mysticism & tyranny & ushered into a future brighter than anything we could imagine.

http://www.ohlalaparis.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/03/24/300gerardbuttlerbutt02.jpg

I'm the shadow.

lefty
05-21-2015, 01:11 PM
BJ Armstrong career PER: 14.5

:lmao below average all star player
:lmao Jose Barea making the all star game

PER :lmao
Hollinger :lmao
Grizzlies :lmao
Today's NBA :lmao

Sean Cagney
05-21-2015, 01:21 PM

I tried to ask that same question, if the 90's were watered down and athletes got better now what does that say about Bob Ryans opinion on the 70's and 80's and does OP share them? If so isn't that a contradiction to his point being athletes are way better today? I mean Bob Ryan thinks the 87 Lakers and 86 Celts are the best, so if he is always telling the truth that fact would remain and nullify his love for modern day teams and players (OP)?

Sean Cagney
05-21-2015, 01:23 PM

:lmao 90's all starsDidn't Dana Barros come near a 3pt record that year? I remember he was shooting threes at a VERY high clip and having a great season. Kyle Korver made the All Star team this year at 12 ppg for Gods sakes, atleast Barros was averaging 20PPG that year. What does that say when Korver makes it? Shooting 49%, 46% 3PT and 90% from the line while averaging 20 PPG sounds like an all star year to me?

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/barroda01.html

BTW the 90's Centers would crush these Centers today, hands DOWN. Shaq, D Rob, Hakeem, Ewing, Alonzo etc., the last days of the real big men as compared to Howard and Jordan etc. :lol:lol:lmao

AlexJones
05-21-2015, 01:26 PM
PER :lmao
Hollinger :lmao
Grizzlies :lmao
Today's NBA :lmao

:lol Hollinger has made his team better ever since he arrived, albeit not by much.

:lmao PJ

baseline bum
05-21-2015, 01:26 PM
Didn't Dana Barros come near a 3pt record that year? I remember he was shooting threes at a VERY high clip and having a great season. Kyle Korver made the All Star team this year at 12 ppg for Gods sakes, atleast Barros was averaging 20PPG that year. What does that say when Korver makes it?

That an important player on a 61 win team is more deserving than a stat padder on a 24 win team? Korver also shot a better 3 point percentage despite Barros having the short three point line.

Sean Cagney
05-21-2015, 01:28 PM
That an important player on a 61 win team is more deserving than a stat padder on a 24 win team?

Individual is an all star selection correct? Not a team game? Like I said above he shot 49% from the field, 46% from three and 90% from the line while averaging 20 PPG, that is pretty impressive if you ask me. If he was stat padding on a bad team wouldn't they key on him? If so how did he shoot that high?

I know his team was bad but he had a hell of a year.

BTW I read some more of Bob Ryans stuff and he says the Bulls ruined the NBA from the relationship between locker rooms and journalists/reporters etc., he sounds very bitter when it comes to that team in some of his columns.

baseline bum
05-21-2015, 01:28 PM
Individual is an all star selection correct? Not a team game? Like I said above he shot 49% from the field, 46% from three and 90% from the line while averaging 20 PPG, that is pretty impressive if you ask me. If he was stat padding on a bad team wouldn't they key on him? If so how did he shoot that high?

I know his team was bad but he had a hell of a year.

Korver shot 49% from the three without having the easy three point line Barros did.

Sean Cagney
05-21-2015, 01:31 PM
Korver shot 49% from the three without having the easy three point line Barros did.

Was that the year they pushed it in? The year everyone shot higher? I will look back and see, if so it's still good but definitely added a few% to that. He shot well from three a few times in his career though, not just that season so his shooting was no fluke. He also could score in more ways than just the three ball. Barros was not great I agree but a very good shooter nonetheless. That statline for him that year was impressive.

He was a career .411 three shooter and lead the league in % before that so the line moved up or not he was a sharp shooter from long range. That year though it being moved up helped and put it up a few % though no doubt, agreed there.

baseline bum
05-21-2015, 01:35 PM
Was that the year they pushed it in? The year everyone shot higher? I will look back and see, if so it's still good but definitely added a few% to that. He shot well from three a few times in his career though, not just that season so his shooting was no fluke. He also could score in more ways than just the three ball. Barros was not great I agree but a very good shooter nonetheless. That statline for him that year was impressive.

That was the year the NBA introduced the short three point line. I'd much rather see a great shooter from a team whose games matter making the all-star game over a high usage player on a horrible team. It would be like putting Jordan Clarkson in the all-star game.

Sean Cagney
05-21-2015, 01:48 PM
That was the year the NBA introduced the short three point line. I'd much rather see a great shooter from a team whose games matter making the all-star game over a high usage player on a horrible team. It would be like putting Jordan Clarkson in the all-star game.
Clarksons year was not as good as Barros but I kind of see what you are saying there. Still if you are on a bad team and averaging that PPG and shooting that high of a PCT. all around that shows if they keyed on him or not he was still doing it (Which they should have if the team was that bad). Korver shoots a high clip at 3, put him in the 3PT shootout then and let him go from there IMO, not the all star game at 12PPG. I can see if he was some ace defender or all around great but dude is basically a shooter and his overall game did not warrant an all star game IMO albeit he was a reserve only after some got hurt.

Would you agree the 90's Centers were ALOT better than todays and would tear this game apart in this modern NBA of weak Centers?

lefty
05-21-2015, 01:51 PM
Didn't Dana Barros come near a 3pt record that year? I remember he was shooting threes at a VERY high clip and having a great season. Kyle Korver made the All Star team this year at 12 ppg for Gods sakes, atleast Barros was averaging 20PPG that year. What does that say when Korver makes it? Shooting 49%, 46% 3PT and 90% from the line while averaging 20 PPG sounds like an all star year to me?

BTW the 90's Centers would crush these Centers today, hands DOWN. Shaq, D Rob, Hakeem, Ewing, Alonzo etc., the last days of the real big men as compared to Howard and Jordan etc. :lol:lol:lmao
Truth nukes

:lol Hollinger has made his team better ever since he arrived, albeit not by much.

:lmao PJ

Well PJ is managing in today's NBA, so....

baseline bum
05-21-2015, 02:14 PM
Clarksons year was not as good as Barros but I kind of see what you are saying there. Still if you are on a bad team and averaging that PPG and shooting that high of a PCT. all around that shows if they keyed on him or not he was still doing it (Which they should have if the team was that bad). Korver shoots a high clip at 3, put him in the 3PT shootout then and let him go from there IMO, not the all star game at 12PPG. I can see if he was some ace defender or all around great but dude is basically a shooter and his overall game did not warrant an all star game IMO albeit he was a reserve only after some got hurt.

Would you agree the 90's Centers were ALOT better than todays and would tear this game apart in this modern NBA of weak Centers?

And LeBron and Durant murder the weak forwards of the 90s.

tlongII
05-21-2015, 02:23 PM

BOOM SHAKA LAKA!

Sheriff Hoyt
05-21-2015, 03:06 PM
LeBron sure. Durant, wouldn't get those touch fouls. They would break is ass in half.

Sheriff Hoyt
05-21-2015, 03:22 PM
Also, Jordan was still averaging 20 a game at 38 and 39 :lol

Sean Cagney
05-21-2015, 03:24 PM
So the 90's had its advantages too, some in here never seem to admit that and act like this era is beginning and end all...

Yep...

Sheriff Hoyt
05-21-2015, 03:31 PM
So the 90's had its advantages too, some in here never seem to admit that and act like this era is beginning and end all...

Yep...
Another thing, guys today like Blake Griffin get worn out by the 4th quarter and don't have the stamina, and somehow today's players are better :lol

lefty
05-21-2015, 04:37 PM

Another truth bomb

AlexJones anf Malik Hairston getting napalmed

Sheriff Hoyt
05-21-2015, 04:44 PM
Another truth bomb

AlexJones anf Malik Hairston getting napalmed
Not to mention, the entire league has copied Pop's style in term's of resting players, however, these other guys are young and in their prime. #NoStaminaAssociation :lol

lefty
05-21-2015, 04:50 PM
Not to mention, the entire league has copied Pop's style in term's of resting players, however, these other guys are young and in their prime. #NoStaminaAssociation :lol

:lol "better athletes, advanced training and nutrition"

Sheriff Hoyt
05-21-2015, 04:53 PM
:lol "better athletes, advanced training and nutrition"
:lol LeBron defeated by a broken air conditioner

":cry Cramps"

Sheriff Hoyt
05-21-2015, 05:01 PM
As far as today's players being "stronger" and "more advanced", that is so far from the truth. When you look at the different growth hormones in today's food and nutrition, naturally they will have more mass. Society as a whole is larger than before. Farmers, and meat producers all across the United States inject these same hormones in their animals, and meat, which impacts the weight of this country. They have also used high-volume ways to produce more crops with chemistry methods that are unheard of. The end result is a food supply that has been distorted, and tainted by toxic, disease-causing chemicals. Unfortunately, the NBA's drug testing policy is an absolute joke. Human Growth Hormones (HGH) have been completely running wild in all areas of sports (high school, college, and pros). Studies have shown, that although HGH can increase muscle size, it does not increase strength. There is also a "Who's Who?" of performance enhancers that help the recovery rate, and endurance of players today. In fact, the very best players could be using these enhancers, but it is often swept under the carpet. Chicago Bulls 2011 MVP Derrick Rose even came out publicly, and admitted in ESPN magazine that PED's were a huge issue in the NBA. I believe there is more than enough evidence.

Size (Height/Weight):

The last 20 years alone have seen a major inflation in weight: (1991-2011)
Ideal weight: 171-181
Actual weight: 180-196

Weight of Perimeter Players (Jordan Era)
Michael Jordan: 195-215
Clyde Drexler: 215-222
James Worthy: 220-225
Magic Johnson: 215-220
Larry Bird: 220-230
Dominique Wilkins: 215-230
Michael Cooper: 175
John Stockton: 175

Weight of Perimeter Players (Modern Era):
Kobe Bryant: 200-210
Dwyane Wade: 212-220
Kevin Durant: 215-230
Carmelo Anthony: 220-235
LeBron James: 240-250
Danny Granger: 225
James Harden: 220
Derrick Rose: 190
Russell Westbrook: 187

Weight of Big Men (Jordan Era):
Shaquille O'Neal: 300-325
Hakeem Olajuwon: 250-255
David Robinson: 240-255
Patrick Ewing: 240-255
Karl Malone: 250-265
Alonzo Mourning: 240-250

Weight of Big Men (Modern Era):
Tyson Chandler: 240
Roy Hibbert: 278
Dwight Howard: 250-260
Andrew Bynum: 285
Marc Gasol: 265
Pau Gasol: 240-250

The lighter weights are what they were measure at during draft time.

Now, that I have explained the weight of today's athletes, let's move on to the height. During the Jordan era, there were many taller players at the time. In fact, 1987 is considered the tallest year in NBA history. (Average height: 6'8")

Here are a list of players at the time who were within that range:

Interior Defenders (Big Men) 6'9"-above:
Manute Bol (7'6")
Ralph Sampson (7'4")
Mark Eaton (7'4")
Artis Gilmore (7'4")
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (7'2")
Robert Parrish (7'1")
Bill Cartwright (7'1")
Sam Bowie (7'1")
Patrick Ewing (7'0")
Brad Daugherty (7'0")
Alton Lister (7'0")
Brad Sellers (7'0")
Kevin Willis (7'0")
Kevin Duckworth (7'0")
Joe Barry Carroll (7'0")
Hakeem Olajuwon (7'0") (Closer to 6'11")
Jack Sikma (6'11")
Caldwell Jones (6'11")
Bill Lambeer (6'11")
John Salley (6'11")
Rick Mahorn (6'10")
Tom Chambers (6'10")
Moses Malone (6'10")
Larry Nance (6'10")
Otis Thorpe (6'10")
Karl Malone (6'9")
Charles Oakley (6'9")
Terry Cummings (6'9")

Players 6'7"-above:
Larry Bird (6'9")
Magic Johnson (6'9")
James Worthy (6'9")
Dominique Wilkins (6'8")
Jerome Kersey (6'8")
Chuck Person (6'8")
Julius Erving (6'7")
Clyde Drexler (6'7")
Alex English (6'7")
Dennis Rodman (6'7")
Jerome Kersey (6'7")
Xavier McDaniel (6'7")
Chris Mullin (6'7")
Reggie Theus (6'7")

Players within Jordan's range (6'6"-under):
Mark Aguirre (6'6")
Gerald Wilkins (6'6")
Rolando Blackmon (6'6")
Michael Cooper (6'5")
Charles Barkley (6'5") (Barkley was a hybrid PF)
Michael Ray Richardson (6'5")
Joe Dumars (6'4")
Terry Porter (6'3")
John Stockton (6'1")

Here are the players to come since that time:
Shawn Bradley (7'6")
Rik Smits (7'4")
Dikembe Mutombo (7'2")
David Robinson (7'1")
Shaquille O'Neal (7'1")
Vlade Divac (7'1")
Tim Duncan (7'0")
Dirk Nowitzki (7'0")
Kevin Garnett (6'11")
Marcus Camby (6'11")
Alonzo Mourning (6'10")
Shawn Kemp (6'10")
Chris Webber (6'9")
Cliff Robinson (6'9")
Sean Elliott (6'8")
Grant Hill (6'8")
Jamal Mashburn (6'8")
Glen Rice (6'7")
Shawn Marion (6'7")
Calbert Chaney (6'7")
Steve Smith (6'7")
Dale Ellis (6'7")
Anthony Mason (6'7")
Larry Johnson (6'7") (Hybrid PF like Barkley)
Penny Hardaway (6'7")
Reggie Miller (6'7")
Bryon Russell (6'7")
Bruce Bowen (6'7")
Reggie Lewis (6'7")
Nick Anderson (6'6")
Dan Majerle (6'6")
Eddie Jones (6'6")
Mitch Richmond (6'5")
Ray Allen (6'5")
Adrian Dantley (6'5")
Gary Payton (6'4")
Vernon Maxwell (6'4")
Dennis Johnson (6'4")
Hersey Hawkins (6'3")
Kevin Johnson (6'1")
Allen Iverson (6'0")
Tim Hardaway (6'0")

*Note: Not everyone on this list necessarily played in the Jordan Era, but they are at least honorable mention.

Today's Average NBA Height: (6'6")

Big Men/Interior Defenders (6'9-above):
Roy Hibbert (7'2")
Tyson Chandler (7'1")
Marc Gasol (7'1")
Javale McGee (7'0")
Andrew Bynum (7'0")
Pau Gasol (7'0")
Brook Lopez (7'0")
Joakim Noah (6'11")
Nene Hilario (6'11")
LaMarcus Aldridge (6'11")
Andray Blatche (6'11")
Jeff Foster (6'11")
Chris Bosh (6'11")
Dwight Howard (6'10")
Al Jefferson (6'10")
Amare Stoudemire (6'10")
Kevin Love (6'10")
Serge Ibaka (6'10")
Kendrick Perkins (6'10")
Al Horford (6'10")
Blake Griffin (6'9")
David West (6'9")
Joel Anthony (6'9")

Perimeter Players:
Kevin Durant (6'10")
LeBron James (6'8")
Danny Granger (6'8")
Paul George (6'8")
Carmelo Anthony (6'7")
Kobe Bryant (6'6")
James Harden (6'5")
Dwyane Wade (6'4")
Derrick Rose (6'3")
Russell Westbrook (6'3")
Deron Williams (6'3")
Tony Parker (6'2")
Rajon Rondo (6'1")
Chris Paul (6'0")

Players at the time were very balanced in athleticism, and size. There were fewer hormones in the food and milk during the 1980s/1990s. Many players were leaner during that time, because there weren't so many different instant, fast food options during the time. Weight training was different, but not that much different from today's time. It is not like these players were from the George Mikan 40s/50s. Even though society has gotten taller, the NBA itself has gotten shorter and heavier than before. That is definitely not a good thing if you are a basketball player. With that said, the lack of height further negates that today's players are "bigger". Shaq was the one exception from that time, and you know how things went down when it came to his weight. (Side note: Add in the beating that Shaq took during that time) If LeBron was born in 1959, and was drafted in 1979, he would be at least an inch shorter and at least 25 pounds heavier. He would be built like Clyde Drexler. These advancements in medicine, weight training, etc HAVE NOT guaranteed today's players to be more athletic.

Clipper Nation
05-21-2015, 05:17 PM
Actually having to try on defense and move the ball as a team instead of watching one guy chuck and passing off hard fouls as defense tends to decrease players' stamina, tbh.

:lol '90s iso-thugball

baseline bum
05-21-2015, 05:18 PM

He was as good as all-star Dana Barros.

Sheriff Hoyt
05-21-2015, 05:23 PM
Actually having to try on defense and move the ball as a team instead of watching one guy chuck and passing off hard fouls as defense tends to decrease players' stamina, tbh.

:lol '90s iso-thugball

Though when the hack-a-strategy comes into play, it's basically admitting "we can't stop you defensively" :lol

Sheriff Hoyt
05-21-2015, 05:29 PM
And Blake Griffin doesn't play defense, and yet has terrible stamina and is barely in his prime. Please Try another theory :lol

Clipper Nation
05-21-2015, 05:56 PM
And Blake Griffin doesn't play defense, and yet has terrible stamina and is barely in his prime. Please Try another theory :lol
Trying =/= being good at it.

Sheriff Hoyt
05-21-2015, 06:01 PM
Trying =/= being good at it.
That's not what you originally said. You said trying (at all) would lead to a stamina decrease. Griffin doesn't even try, so what's his excuse? Keep backpedaling.

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view/781518/michael-jackson-moonwalk-o.gif

Clipper Nation
05-21-2015, 06:04 PM
:lol You must be one of those ancient fans who think you aren't trying on defense if you're not hard fouling people on every possession.

lefty
05-21-2015, 06:05 PM
That's not what you originally said. You said trying (at all) would lead to a stamina decrease. Griffin doesn't even try, so what's his excuse? Keep backpedaling.

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view/781518/michael-jackson-moonwalk-o.gif

:lol

lefty
05-21-2015, 06:06 PM
Though when the hack-a-strategy comes into play, it's basically admitting "we can't stop you defensively" :lol
Oooh no he didn't!

Sheriff Hoyt
05-21-2015, 06:08 PM
:lol You must be one of those ancient fans who think you aren't trying on defense if you're not hard fouling people on every possession.
No, I consider it trying on defense when one doesn't get their dookie hole pushed in by Josh "The Cancer" Smith.

lefty
05-21-2015, 06:34 PM
No, I consider it trying on defense when one doesn't get their dookie hole pushed in by Josh "The Cancer" Smith.

:lol damn

Clipper Nation
05-21-2015, 06:36 PM
:lol Josh Smith would literally be a franchise player in the '90s... see: John Starks.

Sean Cagney
05-21-2015, 06:41 PM
:lol Josh Smith would literally be a franchise player in the '90s... see: John Starks.

Ewing was their franchise player...

Sheriff Hoyt
05-21-2015, 06:45 PM
Ewing was their franchise player...
:lol poor CN

Sheriff Hoyt
05-21-2015, 06:46 PM
So if that were the case, Blake still gets his asshole diddled by a watered down nigga from the 90's. Says alot about Blake :lol

Budkin
05-21-2015, 08:39 PM
No. We were led out of the darkness and rescued from a world of Celtic mysticism & tyranny & ushered into a future brighter than anything we could imagine.

http://www.ohlalaparis.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/03/24/300gerardbuttlerbutt02.jpg

I'm the shadow.

Nice.

lefty
05-21-2015, 08:46 PM
So if that were the case, Blake still gets his asshole diddled by a watered down nigga from the 90's. Says alot about Blake :lol

:lol robinlopez.GIF

Sean Cagney
05-21-2015, 09:17 PM
:lol poor CN

To be honest Ewing would bust these Centers ass out there today, any of them. I would put Rik Smits up against most of these bums today. Can you imagine an athletic D ROB in his prime against these guys today with that skillset? Forget it. Hakeem would have a field day.

baseline bum
05-21-2015, 09:43 PM
To be honest Ewing would bust these Centers ass out there today, any of them. I would put Rik Smits up against most of these bums today. Can you imagine an athletic D ROB in his prime against these guys today with that skillset? Forget it. Hakeem would have a field day.

Not a Ewing fan at all. A choker is a choker.

lefty
05-21-2015, 09:51 PM
lol people calling Ewing a chokerDid you see his supporting cast :lol

Sean Cagney
05-21-2015, 09:54 PM
Not a Ewing fan at all. A choker is a choker.

Yeah he could choke, but there is not a Center out there today IMO who is really worth fearing. Howard is not exactly clutch by any means nor is Jordan and you got Marc Gasol getting shut down by Draymond Green in a closeout game. Those are your Centers today, the worst of any Era IMO.

Venti Quattro
05-21-2015, 09:59 PM

:lmao The Knicks made the Finals without him

lefty
05-21-2015, 09:59 PM
:lol Dwert missing basic hook shots over smaller players :lol yeah this is 2015

lefty
05-21-2015, 10:01 PM
:lmao The Knicks made the Finals without him

Im pretty sure he was referring to the pre LJ-Spree-Houston era

baseline bum
05-21-2015, 10:06 PM
Yeah he could choke, but there is not a Center out there today IMO who is really worth fearing. Howard is not exactly clutch by any means nor is Jordan and you got Marc Gasol getting shut down by Draymond Green in a closeout game. Those are your Centers today, the worst of any Era IMO.

Ewing choked to Villanova for god's sake man.

baseline bum
05-21-2015, 10:08 PM

His supporting cast was good enough to get him to a Game 7 of the Finals in a series he shot 36% in. We make fun of Kobe shooting 40% in the Finals but this loser is an interior player shooting 36% and he's not a choking bitch? :lmao