PDA

View Full Version : PTR: It's Time to Move on From Bonner and Ayers

BillMc
05-22-2015, 07:34 AM
http://www.poundingtherock.com/2015/5/22/8633207/nba-gree-agency-2015-matt-bonner-jeff-ayres

Hardly a news flash, but an amusing if time-wasting debate on the fate of our deep bench bigs.

I for one think we should keep Bonner at the minimum salary. He's good value, a great teammate, etc and not a bad 5th big. Let him leave when Duncan and Manu go.

As for Jeff, I don't think Ayers' friendship with Timmy will save him. He might be playing overseas soon.

Interesting point in the article about how you can't be too good a boy with Pop. You have to rebel a bit, to break out of the mold he's cast you in. But when you do rebel, you've got to make the most of the opportunity, you can't suck. (See Nando, Blair, and the washed-up version of Jax).

And yeah, I misspelled "Aryres" in the thread title. I can never get that right.

Roger Freemason Jr.
05-22-2015, 07:44 AM
I can see Pop being like J.K Simmons in Whiplash.

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-22-2015, 07:45 AM
Bonner is great value at the min, as a 5th situational big. Besides he's destined to go to the front office once he's done playing.

Ayers will be replaced by another guy who'll suck and be a scapegoat because 14th men must be all stars.

hater
05-22-2015, 07:47 AM
Both are great at being losers.

Boomer doesn't even have his shot anymore. Shits broken. He wouldn't even make a senior YMCA team imo.

TheGreatYacht
05-22-2015, 08:23 AM
Both of them can go. JaMychal Green is who we're after :bobo

Mugen
05-22-2015, 08:30 AM
Let Bonner be a developmental coach or some other BS role. There's zero reason for him to be taking up a roster spot. I'm not even gonna validate the bit about Errors. He's not an NBA player.

cd021
05-22-2015, 08:45 AM
Keep Bonner for the min. Fills out a roster spot and has use in situational role. Spurs spacing was pretty bad last season (down shooting seasons from half the team from 3), letting him walk without a suitable replacement doesn't seem to be a good idea.

Silver&Black
05-22-2015, 08:54 AM
Bout 3 years late on Bonner tbh....

And like Mugen said...don't even get me started on Errors.

eric365
05-22-2015, 09:01 AM
Keep Bonner for the min. Fills out a roster spot and has use in situational role. Spurs spacing was pretty bad last season (down shooting seasons from half the team from 3), letting him walk without a suitable replacement doesn't seem to be a good idea.

Shooting was down from 3 because we don't have an efficient playmaker anymore (tony and manu regressing etc..) and half the team are spot up shooter that needs wide open shots like Bonner

We have to find more 3 points shooter that can create their shots like Belineli and praying for either Parker coming back at his level or Kawhi becoming an elite playmaker over the summer

thispego
05-22-2015, 09:27 AM
Both are great at being losers.

Boomer doesn't even have his shot anymore. Shits broken. He wouldn't even make a senior YMCA team imo.

:rolleyes

jeebus
05-22-2015, 09:55 AM
Get rid of them both. Pounding the cock is really grasping for content this time of year.

venitian navigator
05-22-2015, 10:44 AM
Time to sign Bertans...at a low price considering his rehabilitation time. Imho he's gonna be Bonner's replacement in time...with better shooting.

Dex
05-22-2015, 11:10 AM
I mean, as a trade asset he can't have less NBA value. What do you get for him, a 2nd round pick in 2059?

:lol Ouch.

Sadly, it's true. :pctoss Thanks a fucking lot, Boylen. You bring this piece of trash in with you and forget about Kawhi on the bench.

TheCerebral1
05-22-2015, 11:11 AM
Get rid of both. They're both terrible. Bonner is a monumentally better player than Ayres, and that doesn't say much for Bonner.

Dex
05-22-2015, 11:11 AM
Time to sign Bertans...at a low price considering his rehabilitation time. Imho he's gonna be Bonner's replacement in time...with better shooting.

I don't get why people still fantasize about Bertans. Dude is constantly injured and will probably never come over anyways.

BillMc
05-22-2015, 11:19 AM
Bonner is great value at the min, as a 5th situational big. Besides he's destined to go to the front office once he's done playing.

Ayers will be replaced by another guy who'll suck and be a scapegoat because 14th men must be all stars.

Yeah, the expectations for 5th and 6th bigs are a bit high on ST. :lol

Dingle Barry
05-22-2015, 12:27 PM
I don't get why people still fantasize about Bertans. Dude is constantly injured and will probably never come over anyways.

Boy just needs to get off the ethiopian diet he's on and pump some serious iron. Maybe some roids is the answer.

minuzzo21
05-22-2015, 12:30 PM
Please no more Bonner and Ayers!!

ChumpDumper
05-22-2015, 12:47 PM

Ayers will be replaced by another guy who'll suck and be a scapegoat because 14th men must be all stars.Pretty much.

DPG21920
05-22-2015, 01:44 PM
It's not Ayres fault he's hated. It's not that people expect 14th men to be all-stars. But unfortunately, Ayres represented what could have been if the Spurs made smarter moves so hence the hate. Has nothing to do with him personally - it was the situation and the fact the Spurs missed opportunities for the luxury of paying someone like Ayres who isn't any good.

littlecoyotecoin
05-22-2015, 02:16 PM
It's not Ayres fault he's hated. It's not that people expect 14th men to be all-stars. But unfortunately, Ayres represented what could have been if the Spurs made smarter moves so hence the hate. Has nothing to do with him personally - it was the situation and the fact the Spurs missed opportunities for the luxury of paying someone like Ayres who isn't any good.

Only problem with this reasoning is that it can never be proved who the superior talent ("missed opportunities") would have been that would have agreed to terms (minimum salaries), location (San Antonio), and role (no minutes). Who was the "smarter move"? Even when borderline NBA players like Jamychal Green are offered a spot by cutting an end of the bench guy that wants to be here, and is accepting of that role (Daye in that case), Green balks at the offer for various reasons. And, that was Jamychal fucking Green. Not exactly a proven commodity in the NBA, proper. Baynes, similarly, seemed to seriously consider walking for twice the pay as Daye, and probably Green, and a bigger role and slightly more money than Ayres. It is too easy to say that because Jeff is sitting on the end of our bench The Spurs somehow "missed an opportunity". This thread is worthless without pics of specific "missed opportunity" end of the bench "smarter move" talent that wanted to come here, make almost nothing (in NBA terms of course), and basically never play, but would have exceeded the contributions of the guys we had.

Of course, everyone wants to try their GM skills out and trot out a vet minimum name or their favorite sleeper undrafted FA, D league prospect, trade machine guy, etc, without any real knowledge of whether said guy would play here, or, inevitably, be worth a shit, being why he is available in the first place.

cjw
05-22-2015, 02:17 PM

No way the team does anything with him until after free agency plays out. They control his rights and he likely wants more than the league minimum to come over, so would have to dip into one of the exceptions. If there's room then, maybe consider it.

If he had no plans of ever trying to come over, I doubt he'd spend this much time around the team and getting surgery in the U.S. Still, jury is still going to be out for a long time.

And even if he never comes over, still not a bad throw in in the Kawhi trade!

DPG21920
05-22-2015, 02:28 PM
Only problem with this reasoning is that it can never be proved who the superior talent ("missed opportunities") would have been that would have agreed to terms (minimum salaries), location (San Antonio), and role (no minutes). Who was the "smarter move"? Even when borderline NBA players like Jamychal Green are offered a spot by cutting an end of the bench guy that wants to be here, and is accepting of that role (Daye in that case), Green balks at the offer for various reasons. And, that was Jamychal fucking Green. Not exactly a proven commodity in the NBA, proper. Baynes, similarly, seemed to seriously consider walking for twice the pay as Daye, and probably Green, and a bigger role and slightly more money than Ayres. It is too easy to say that because Jeff is sitting on the end of our bench The Spurs somehow "missed an opportunity". This thread is worthless without pics of specific "missed opportunity" end of the bench "smarter move" talent that wanted to come here, make almost nothing (in NBA terms of course), and basically never play, but would have exceeded the contributions of the guys we had.

Of course, everyone wants to try their GM skills out and trot out a vet minimum name or their favorite sleeper undrafted FA, D league prospect, trade machine guy, etc, without any real knowledge of whether said guy would play here, or, inevitably, be worth a shit, being why he is available in the first place.

I get what you are saying, but that example is not applicable here. The rush to sign Ayres resulted in the loss of opportunity to sign someone worth more than the min. If it was just min player vs min player - I agree, who cares. But that's the entire point of my comment about Ayers. It wasn't just the player, but the opportunity lost because of his contract to sign someone worth more later.

look_at_g_shred
05-22-2015, 02:58 PM
I get what you are saying, but that example is not applicable here. The rush to sign Ayres resulted in the loss of opportunity to sign someone worth more than the min. If it was just min player vs min player - I agree, who cares. But that's the entire point of my comment about Ayers. It wasn't just the player, but the opportunity lost because of his contract to sign someone worth more later.
You have a point but the Spurs still went on to win the chip that season.

SpurPadre
05-22-2015, 03:44 PM
What's with the like for Bonner? Seriously. It's like Stockholm Syndrome for the guy here.

DrunkTXLabrat
05-22-2015, 03:53 PM

read the aminu thread in the think tank.

spurs10
05-22-2015, 03:54 PM
There was a great radio interview with Ayres and Bill Schoening this year..
Bill: 'So how's that...err.. catching the ball thing you've been working on coming?'
Jeff: 'Yeah I've been working on that....'

Later on during the game broadcast-
'Manu is passing to Ayres under the basket....oops through hands....that's a turnover....'
:lol

DrunkTXLabrat
05-22-2015, 04:12 PM
There was a great radio interview with Ayres and Bill Schoening this year..
Bill: 'So how's that...err.. catching the ball thing you've been working on coming?'
Jeff: 'Yeah I've been working on that....'

Later on during the game broadcast-
'Manu is passing to Ayres under the basket....oops through hands....that's a turnover....'
:lol

lol

DrunkTXLabrat
05-22-2015, 04:12 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NBA&id=1971&line=265835&spln=1

MVPCues
05-22-2015, 08:10 PM
I never hated Bonner, but it is pretty clear he is done. He may have value in a few games here and there in the right situations, but a roster spot just isn't worth those rare instances. Everyone seems to agree off the court he is a good dude. Put him on the payroll if that really is in the cards, but it is time to retire.

Ayers...good luck to him...somewhere else.

therealtruth
05-22-2015, 08:28 PM
It's time to get backups that can actually push the starters and be good cheerleaders.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
05-22-2015, 09:23 PM
How can people seriously say Bonner is worth the minimum? News flash; he's not, and hasn't been for a few years now.

phxspurfan
05-23-2015, 12:32 AM
Still need reg season minutes eaters. And they know the plays.

Sean Cagney
05-23-2015, 12:39 AM

Just let Bonner go and try someone else for Gods sakes, it can't hurt. I agree on Ayres though, good riddance and pick someone else up who sucks but maybe an catch the ball and actually not miss 4 dunks in a game.

Bonner though as Hater said can't even hit threes anymore, he hit one I remember in the playoffs out of the 10 or so he took and I nearly fainted when he hit it! He is just flat out useless now and anyone can come in and do better IMO. He is not great value for anything he needs to retire already.
Still need reg season minutes eaters. And they know the plays.

Ehhhhhhh, get someone else in here who might actually be able to do something at all. Their ship has sailed, goodbye.
How can people seriously say Bonner is worth the minimum? News flash; he's not, and hasn't been for a few years now.

Your damn right, never will get his fans in here or anywhere acting like he is worth a fucking shit. They will bring up that game 5 against OKC though if you want to hear how he is useful! The one game he actually did spread the floor and missed all of his shots but it's known as the BONNER game! Diaw started the second half though and did way better but it's not mentioned as much as Bonners game.

Sean Cagney
05-23-2015, 12:44 AM
What's with the like for Bonner? Seriously. It's like Stockholm Syndrome for the guy here.

I don't get it either, a few fans act like he is worth a fucking shit though and they are wrong. He is a bad player, period end of story. He used to hit threes during the regular season but now he even sucks there! He always sucked in the playoffs and dissapeared, sorry but no love for that guy at all on my end of things and never was. He was the dark years, started when they were losing in the playoffs 09-011, he gets less minutes 012 and after and two finals and one win, coincidence?

Uriel
05-23-2015, 09:46 AM
I was a vocal Bonner supporter during his prime years, but his production has fallen off a cliff. He can't even hit 3's anymore, which was his only NBA-level skill. It's time to move on.

MultiTroll
05-24-2015, 11:28 AM
Get rid of them both. Pounding the cock is really grasping for content this time of year.

BackHome
05-24-2015, 02:30 PM
Yeah Errors can be replaced and I agree Bonner shooting has gone off the cliff. It's time to get some young guys who have some potential on the team.

Sean Cagney
05-25-2015, 02:39 AM
Yeah Errors can be replaced and I agree Bonner shooting has gone off the cliff. It's time to get some young guys who have some potential on the team.

Very much so agreed, good riddance.

DrunkTXLabrat
05-25-2015, 03:21 PM

Bonner is a nobody. it's not about having all stars for 13th, 14th, 15th men. it's not about having some lame duck role player, that you're grooming into a coach. It's about having good young talent that you can throw into the fire, when you're burning anyway. Maybe you get a performance like Joseph throwing it down hard on Ibaka, or Draymond turning an unfortunate David Lee injury situation into a blessing. Dellavedova and Bazemore, Capela and Ezeli. Matt Bonner has never been that, and it was clear, a long time ago. It's not about having all star depth. It's about having depth that's full of winners and somebody's, that can take a few garbage minutes and let you know they aren't nobody's.

TD 21
05-25-2015, 05:50 PM
It all depends on if Aldridge signs and the subsequent decision to trade either Splitter or Diaw to facilitate his signing.

Say he signs and they do in fact trade Splitter for something like Plumlee and a lottery protected future 1st from the Bucks. At that point, they'd need two bigs for the minimum to provide depth. Since both Bonner and Ayres know the system and are good teammates, they'd make sense.

It's more difficult to come up with a Diaw trade, but the same thing would apply, even if they got a lesser positional replacement with a similar enough skill set back.

If Aldridge doesn't sign and no other significant big does, then both Splitter and Diaw will more than likely be retained, at which point higher quality big depth would become the priority. I suspect they'd re-sign Baynes and target Teletovic, in this scenario. Clearly, that would spell the end of Bonner and Ayres.

dg7md
05-25-2015, 10:36 PM
It was this time 2 years ago...

spurs10
05-26-2015, 12:48 AM
It was this time 2 years ago... Do you mean 11 months ago? We are the champions!! Still!! :flag:

Sean Cagney
05-26-2015, 01:05 AM
It was this time 2 years ago...

I wanted Bonners sorry ass gone after he was a FA in 09 for Gods sakes, then they re signed him. He just won't go away, he will be back.

SASdynasty!
05-26-2015, 11:45 AM
Agree on both...Bonner averaged 3.2 PPG, 2.5 RPG, and 0.5 AST on 45% shooting while making $4 million a year. And that dropped to 1.2 PPG, 0.6 RPG, and 0.5 AST in the playoffs. Ouch.